Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Realism has no inherent value and the first responsibility of any game is to be fun. Death spiral mechanics do not mesh well with all games, and if the devs decided against it I am going to trust that they did so on the basis of it interacting poorly with the rest of the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm actually kind of digging those Dragonians. They're hideous in a good way, the only thing that could use work is the wings which are comically lovely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hazmat Sam posted:

I've basically given up reading fantasy written after Tolkien because it all feels exactly the same, so I can totally sympathize with with that guy. (My current policy is "read Lovecraft's Dream Cycle and detour to read every book or author he namedrops." It's working excellently)

Thing is, I play games like Age of Wonders because the magic (or steampunk analog in this game's case) adds a different dimension to turn-based strategy than something like Civilization games. As long as the game is clever enough, I don't particularly care about the story or the art direction.

It's out there, believe me. Malazan Book of the Fallen couldn't be less tolkien if it tried. Now I have my beefs with the series but it's still definitely p good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Soon. Soon I will get my Dwarven Arch-Druid on. Everyone knows dwarves are closest to the earth because they're lowest to the ground.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Aren't goblins actually shorter than dwarves?

Goblins aren't people, duh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

You don't have to make an account to play, that's just for multiplayer. It might be a good idea to do "Guest Offline" mode until things calm down a bit.

Hopefully things will be calmer by time I get home. Multiplayer with a bro is the very first thing I planned to do :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, there's a known issue if you play at a resolution about 1920x1080 that the UI scaling messes up :( I'm afraid you'll just have to turn the resolution down until we can figure out a fix for it.

In theory you can just click "No" when it asks you to link your account and then enter the product key in the next panel. I can't ask my boss at the moment what the consequences are of doing that though... It might be a good idea to ask on our support forums about it, so someone who's in the office can give you a better answer.

What's the cut off? What resolutions can I set it to and expect to work?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well, it seems Local Multiplayer doesn't work at all curiously. So much for playing this game today :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Has anyone successfully run a game of multiplayer so far?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Doink9731 posted:

Yeah I'm running one right now.

Did you have to forward any ports to get their servers to load or...?

I've been unable to get anything but static from them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Have you tried this?

http://ageofwonders.com/support/networking/

It looks like the support section could be better organized.

I have, yes. What's more we can't even seem to use Local to solve the problem. Despite being on the same network, nothing shows up. That's the really strange part.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 1, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Scrolling through list of pre-made characters. Encounter female goblin rogue.

I was not prepared

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn: I notice nothing in the beta patch about multiplayer issues, any chance of that stuff making it in the final patch or no?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

You would think that Druid, of all classes, would be able to summon a mount.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

As per Carnalfex, scaling the costs based on how many you already have seems like a good start.

Going to echo this. I like settling new grounds for the Glorious Fatherland :ussr:

But it's important to make the player work for it or weigh and balance it after a point. It should be part of the experience though to a point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

You wouldn't happen to have a Guesstimated Window of Arrival on the upcoming patch would you Gerblyn? I have deliberately left that as broad as possible so as not to try and peg you guys to anything exact :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

While I enjoy the core gameplay quite a bit, the whole "random starting units, random starting spells/techs" concept is bluntly speaking, poo poo. I really struggle to think of what this adds to the game.

It makes a completely unreasonable amount of difference starting as a Draconian at least.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Random spells/techs tries to make it so you have to adapt to whatever you get at the start instead of using the same tactic every time, I suppose - it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as you're implying. Random units doesn't seem to be that bad considering you're just fighting some independents early on with a hero - you seem to be guaranteed to get a good spread from multiple tiers, but draconian units are a bit weird and they're a race I never really start as, so I honestly dunno if there's a problem there.

Let me rephrase: Random techs/spells and units is a problem because certain races and spell spheres have garbage units/spells you would never, under any normal circumstance, willingly build or research. Symptomatic of this, especially with races like Draconians who have some pretty ehhhh units, the randomization feels more like getting RNG hosed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Currently feeling like the Druid class is just a crappier version of Sorcerer. Same summon reliant playstyle, worse summons, less reliable summons. Cool.

Also, I'm playing on the Beta Patch that's currently out. Someone remind me what a Gold Mine is worth without it, for reference? I'm trying to determine how much they've changed it, if at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Delacroix posted:

Gold mines are 10+ and +15 with a dreadnought passive.

The druid class has stuff that should be available to all classes to make their non-class racial units better. Bleeding attacks (upgrade razorbows to do crippling), increased movement and favored enemy would help give T1-2 an edge over the higher tiers with research. As the trump card of druids though they're underwhelming, you'd need to make all of their racial and non-animal units significantly better over other classes before they can compete with warlords or sorcerors.

As is, their best gimmick is that they can make all their units floating so you can spam earthquake, which like all the other master specializations, still isn't worth getting over two adept specs for the early game in my experience.

Ah. With the talk of reworking the economy and whatnot, I wasn't sure if the beta patch had tuned gold gain down or not. I always feel like I'm struggling to expand and protect my expansions, economy wise, when playing non-Sorcerer classes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I want to like Arch-Druid so bad but Phantasmal Warriors are just disgustingly better in every way than any equal tiered summon in the Druid repertoire. Goddamn sorcerers :argh:

Hopefully we'll start to see balance passes after the next nuts and bolts patch.

Edit: The Arch-Druid Ancestral Spirits really need to be moved down to like, tier 2 at best. They're comparable to Phantasmals (they border on being identical units), but wildly harder to get because reasons :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 24, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

"Divine Justicar- All Units gain Resurgence"

Haha what

And yeah, comparitively...Druids. :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, some of the patch notes are a bit of a mess. There was a glitch where the game didn't display how strong the Befriend Animal ability is (like the damage type and strength), and it now does.

:tipshat:

Speaking of which: Is there any way to raise the chance of success on abilities like Smite? Raising a particular stat on my hero for example?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Unless I'm missing something, Theocrats seem better off ignoring their class units until Crusaders. Nothing about Martyrs or Cherubs struck me as particularly compelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So I have not played the game since relatively close to launch. I was looking at the big list of racial unit buffs from 1.2, and thought about giving Orcish Theocrat a go. Is Tireless on Orcish Crusaders as baller as I'm imagining? Moreover, does anyone have any advice on what precisely makes Theocrat tick? Their units never wowed me quite like the other classes did, Shrine of Smiting and Exalted aside, so I was never really clear on what their strategy was supposed to be. Are they meant to lean more heavily on racial units?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Arch-Druid Heroes definitely need something. Right now they are pretty lackluster next to the other types.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Huh. The revamped Orc Hunter is a really interesting unit. I'm not sure if it's GOOD, but it is interesting.

Gonna have to try it out!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

madmac posted:

Archdruid

Lots of Quality of Life changes here.

Animistic Knowledge got tweaked to give a more consistent bonus.

Merging all the crappy Slayer skills into one mega-skill is glorious.

Shaman have a new awaken buff they can use on animals and it's actually really powerful. Also stacks with Savage Rage
(Archdruid heroes can pick it up too.) Overall gives you more reasons to use Shamans and animal summons together and just neat in general.

The Druid's cool but lovely combat spells (Ancestors, Animal Horde) got cool and good now.

Plus lots of sweet-as-hell new Hunter/Shaman variants. Some of my favorites.

Druid got all it's rough edges sanded off and is just consistently fun now.

Theocrat

Too many small changes to summarize, so basically the crappy economy spells were made better and worth using, a little more racial variation (Human Evangelists!) and you can use devout units to repair Shrines now, so that's one aggravation gone.

Bigger changes, THE DEVOUT UPGRADES NOW WORK RETROACTIVELY. This is the single biggest and most important change. It means you have actual options in how you approach playing Theocrat since you can start with whatever and worry about making things devout later.

You can totally go class units first now, especially with Evangelist as a heal option without Order of Healing and pick up the empire upgrades whenever it fits your schedule. Theocrat has options, man, it's a whole new class.

Also Martyrs, the new Theocrat meta not even kidding. With their buffed HPs combined with the 35% reduction from share pain they can soak like champs, and Exalted Martyers is a whole new ballgame now that it's not locked until after you get Exalted the normal way. Also also evolved Exalted keep share pain which is kinda good on a unit that can't die.

Theocrats are kinda really good right now, is what I'm saying.

Praise Orc Jesus :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The first thing I notice with the Beta Patch is that 1920x1080 does not actually fit right on 1920x1080 anymore, at least at the main screen :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So fun fact: Although Shadowborn/Grey Guard/Keeper of the Peace aren't selectable yet as far as I can see, they are in the encyclopedia so you can have a sneak peak at their features :haw:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lassitude posted:

Well, you gain evil alignment for razing cities because killing off a city and torching the place is an evil thing to do. I'd say forcibly transforming a city into mindless, flesh-eating undead creatures probably falls within the category of "an evil thing to do" as well. I get why they didn't go ahead and make it evil -- it'd be hard to be anything but an evil Necromancer then, which limits depth/replayability by shoehorning the class into the evil alignment every game -- but personally I think I'd rather see Necromancers be kind of stuck being evil so as to avoid the kind of mental gymnastics required to make them equivalent to the classes which don't turn everyone they conquer into enslaved monsters.

Easy really. You simply don't define Ghoul as mindless flesh eating monster in this setting and suddenly it can easily be an alignment neutral action.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Does Warlord martial arts training and thorough bred mounts apply to existing units or only new ones

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

John Lee posted:

Sounds pretty neutral to me. "If you don't consent to our rules of government, then you are free to leave the country."

(And not, like, leave the country into the acid ocean surrounding your ship either, it's a legitimate option.)

There are much less idiotic ways to argue your case than this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Maybe I'm too much of a scrub to know any better but post-buff Draconian Raptors seem really quite good, especially as a Warlord with Thoroughbred Mounts.

The split physical/fire damage has made them immensely more effective in my games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Warlord is in a pretty great spot right now in the beta patch. The one thing I wish they'd change though is Warbreeds. Warbreeds...don't really get anything meaningful out of racial bonuses. Little +1/-1 bonuses here and there, except the Orc Warbreed which gets Tireless and is hands down superior to all the rest.

With how they've tweaked the Manticore Riders to have a variety of fun racial abilities, Warbreed is the odd man out currently.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

I think Warbreed could get some fun stuff to really play up their 'monstrous' nature. Like Goblin Warbreed getting poison spit, or Draconian Warbreed having Flame Aura or Explosion. Elven Warbreed could also be terrifying with Awareness, Inflict Stun (at gold) or Phase. And you could really be a dick by giving Dwarven ones Defender or Break defense.

And obviously Human Warbreed should get swimming and the Kraken ability that makes them super good at killing ships. :krakken:

See these are great ideas.

I mean if anybody should have neat and crazy abilities, it's an unit who's defining characteristic is "monstrous hybrid of your Warlord and whatever he thought was most apt for wrecking poo poo"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's mostly just the rebalancing of the existing races that's in the beta patch.

Which is still really good stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

There already is one. When you're customizing the appearance, click on the magnifying glass buttons in the bottom left.

It does. Migrating cities lets you focus all your race happiness onto one race, so it will get race governance XP much faster. Generally, having 1 race at level 4 governance is much better than having 3 or 4 races at level 2. The bonuses you get at level 5 or typically so powerful they almost break the game in half, level 5 elf lets all elven support and archery units fire without line of sight or ranged penalties, for example.

How do you even win a siege as the attacker at that point :psyboom:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jesus christ Rogue Dark Pact is bananas.

Among other things you get:

Bards with Dominate
Succubi get Bane Fire :frogsiren:
Assassins seem to get Pass Wall?
And Shadow Stalkers get Frost Aura

In addition to the +1 Defense/Resistance/Damage that everyone gets.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

One thing that does kind of suck as Rogue is that, short of getting a lucky Seduce, it's impossible to actually complete the Paragon Empire Quest because we don't have a tier 4 unit to qualify for the quest with.

• Locked thread