Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have never played one of these games before but I loved master of magic, a lot. Also civ 1, 2, iv, v, moo, homm, king's bounty, dawn of war. Is this my kind of game? Is there a good gameplay review or something I can watch?

Also I'm not big on multiplayer unless it's a really special kind of game (like ta: spring) so is this all about multi or single player? Basically this is worth it to me if I get a good like, 10-20 hours of fun out of it. currently I have Civ V at like 400 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks guys, sold. :)

edit: uhhhh which version should I get

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just played this game all evening. I love it so far. It's closer to king's bounty than anything else, except you can settle cities. But, the choice of where to settle doesn't seem too varied. You settle where 2-3 resources are stacked together and that's pre-determined.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
There's a 'mana for casting spells' (looks like a star or a snowflake) and a 'crystals' mana that your cities can harvest/generate. How do you rebuild the spellcasting kind? I saw between turns it doesn't get regenerated fully, and I'm playing the elf campaign so in part 2 I have 3 spellcasters and no mana!

Yeah I realise I am probably misunderstanding something... but yeah how do you regenerate the spellcasting stuff?

Also the (mission 2 elves) 'x the pretty' goblin isn't attacking me so I'm not attacking her. That may become a problem. I'm gonna see if I can go over the river and find the elven cities or something. (don't spoil me bro)
Can you enter someone's territory without it counting as an 'attack'?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to repeat what someone said earlier: I was having a battle in elf campaign 1, the first battle against an enemy hero ever. I saved beforehand because I'd already had to restart the campaign due to losing that battle. I tried to reload after failing that fight and TOTALLY saved the game after failing the fight, while trying to load. The prompts are just super weird and unexpected. Normally if you load, the prompt that comes up in many games is 'abandon all progress?' but in this one it's "save before you load?" or something like that.

edit: this game is great! thanks for listening to user comments!

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 4, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kajeesus posted:

How are you supposed to fight the Dwarf Dreadnought on the third campaign map? I have him down to his last city, but it's loaded up with firstborns, golems, cannons and a flame tank. The only thing I have that can do decent damage to machines is Sundren's sabotage, but I can't get here anywhere near the machines since a single cannonball/flame jet combo can kill her, and will if it's backed up by crossbows. My favorite goblin strategy of overwhelming the walls with bees is also useless, as swarm darters die in one cannonball and most of his units take basically no damage from their attacks.

EDIT: ^Theocrats get Mighy Meek, though. If they could get hold of a Fey Dwelling, that'd be up to +52 damage on tier IV units. :getin:

I was thinking the same thing, but I managed to wait until they left the city to raid me (with me in plain sight, bug!) and attack a single army of theirs with 3 of mine and take the city. There were 3 more armies close together still though, but I managed to attack the single army with the actual leader in it with 3 more of mine and kill him. With him dead and no cities he was finished. The remaining 2 armies he had which were entirely flame tanks and firstborn, disappeared. His other cities became independent.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So this is probably an optimal way to do it but I didn't think of it before last night: I started the first dreadnought mission and the research was taking a while. after a couple of cities I decided on a 'how to' research method in order to get more things researched faster. I am assuming that knowledge lost does not count towards the next research item.

-Always research anything that takes only one turn. One turn at the start, if the thing you're researching is easy to research e.g. you make 100 knowledge points and it takes 50 to research, wastes 50 knowledge points. But if you were to research the same thing later you'd waste 300 knowledge points. This gets you through the lovely skills and onto the better ones.
-If your only options are 2-turns-to-research options and higher, pick the 2-turn research option that has the most amount of knowledge to research. The ones with the lowest amount of knowledge to research will become 1-turn-to-research once you've upgraded your cities, captured more places, etc.

For an example, if you research something that takes 7 turns but you have some 1-turn research options, then later you want a high level spell that only unlocks after you go through a lot of 1-turn researches, it'll take longer to do all the research in the long run. If you were to do all the 1-turns first then by the time you're done with them, the 7-turn research will probably only take 4 or 5 turns to research. Yeah I think you get the idea.

Of course you may want to skip some research trees entirely. I don't know enough to be able to judge though. And some things you may want to beeline for. This is just general optimization. For instance flame tanks took 22 turns (I think) to research at the start of my match but I researched a ton of 1-turn and 2-turn things and now flame tanks are down to 5-7 turns to research. I will get them a bit later than if I'd beelined but I will have ALL of the research finished faster in the end.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Randler posted:

Knowledge isn't lost. It will count toward the next research item. (The amount is indicated by a small white circle around the research item's picture.)

Is it possible to get 2 in a single turn, or does it take knowledge AND a turn to research something?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

UberJumper posted:

Yeah i know, however i would much rather have something else. Gold doesn't mean much. Alot of the items are really neat, i just keep getting unicorns.

*EDIT* So the after going through the first 2 treasure dungeons in elf4, what do i get in each of them? A loving unicorn.

:negative:

*EDIT 2* There has to be something wrong. We are way past the point of the RNG screwing me.

This was posted about earlier. Due to <some logic error in the code> only about 10 of 100 items drop most of the time, and this will be fixed at some point.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think I may have to start the commonwealth mission...2? again. (either 2 or 3, the one where there is an underground sorceress and you have to destroy her machine or something). I thought I expanded ok but I am just getting hit by waves and waves of 3-stack 6-units-of-beetle-riders and I don't have enough hardcore units to counter them. They're just bringing on the doomstacks. I might want to restart or something because god. drat!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just experimented and it's not true that you can get multiple reasearches per turn.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MadHat posted:

You can in the case of getting a Research Bonus from Neutral Sites which just give a flat amount of RP where you just keep going till you run out of that amount, you cannot however do that from normal research far as I have seen, always takes 1 turn. Same deal with Production in Cities, at some point you are actually wasting Production building Tier 1 Units.

OK. Looks like my original 'how to research more stuff faster' technique is correct then.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It makes a gigantic difference to have some warrior style hero with about 2-3 of all of the hp/melee/defense buffs. My guy is a tank, it makes battle a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
This is a good game in case anyone is wondering. So, on the dreadnought campaign: I think it's dreadnought match 2 or 3, we're chasing after the traitor and hunting them down. I start the map without any cities and have to move in and take one. WHAT DO? I tried and got utterly railed.... Maybe I didn't move fast enough? next time I should try and take the first city ASAP, I think I took it around turn 16? I could possibly have taken it a few turns earlier, which might have helped.

• Locked thread