Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you get HoMM 5 Tribes of the East is all you need. There is a map pack or something that you can download that gives you all the content from the previous expansions. I personally like HoMM 6 a lot but I think most people prefer 5. And 4 is garbage. Skip 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
2 and 3 are kind of connected, and 5 is a reboot so it's connected with 6? But really no one cares about the plot at all. Just build armies and battle dragons.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Am I the only one that liked the chance to miss stuff? I liked some units in AoW 1 being tankier because they had more hp and others were tankier because they could block/parry hits. Just flavorwise I liked guys with shields being able to block the first hit of a round or being able to parry etc.

Also, leprechauns.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Leprechauns :argh:

No, you're not the only person. This is a very divisive subject, I'm afraid. The presence of multiple figures in each unit also influenced the decision, it's believable that single goblin will miss and a single elf, but it gets very weird when you have 6 goblins who all miss 6 elves.

I think MoM's system actually has each individual figure roll for a chance to hit? That way on average you'll always get a few hits in. It'd be extremely unlikely to have all 6 figures miss. This would actually sort of allow you to have both systems. When a squad attacks it's highly, highly unlikely that you'll get a complete miss but single units would have chance to whiff completely.

Splicer posted:

But what you're failing to take into account is gently caress leprechauns. Seriously, gently caress leprechauns.

They'd be my perfect example of why this is a great change. Leprechauns were literally unkillable by low-attack units. Not "very difficult", but unkillable. But it didn't scale, meaning that vs high attack units (or medium ones who got a lucky shot) leprechauns were nothing but speedbumps. The Tigran Mystic was the far superior dodgey assbag of a unit.

Actually in AoW 1 the defense bonus capped at 10% chance to hit so if you didn't have high attack guys your best bet was to swarm the leprechaun with as many cheap, low attacking units as possible and you'll get lucky eventually. Plus who doesn't enjoy the image of 12 dudes trying to jump a prancing green midget in a suit?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 28, 2013

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

victrix posted:

Personally I love broken spells. That is, stuff that would cause the current modern day multiplayer centric playerbase to scream 'OP OP OP IMBA' wildly at the top of their lungs.

What's the fun of a single player tbs where you play a godlike wizard if you can't reshape the world and make your enemies explode into little pieces in a dozen different awesome ways? :colbert:

The stuff I don't like is boring small effects that have a minimal statistical impact on combat (oh boy, I'm 5-10% more accurate).

That doesn't mean everything needs to be Orgy of Volcanos, but it's nice when even low level/cheap/fast casting spells have a noticable tactical or strategic impact and remain useful throughout a game, rather than simply being lesser, weaker effects that are obsoleted quickly.

Chain lightning in AoW 1 was the most ridiculous spell. And flood was probably the biggest game changer. Playing lizardman and flooding the map was just so fun.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh man, I just remembered nymphs. What a hilarious a unit. Everything from the slap attack to the big heart that pops up from seduce. It was also neat that certain races like orcs and goblins had lower magic resists so they were easier to seduce than an elf. The slight differences between the units for each race really helped differentiate them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yessss. The flavor text for the units was the best thing. They were great reads while waiting for the AI to finish its turn. I love how even the same units between each race had a different blurb about them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you any of you guys have played Heroes 6 I like the defense in that aspect a lot. Each castle/fort controls a certain territory and anything inside the control area cannot be taken from you unless the castle of the region is captured.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Each control area usually had a fort and a 1-2 mines and a large empire might consist of 3-4 castles plus another 4-5 forts. So it wasn't like you could hold half your empire by turtling in one spot. It just saved the annoyance of having a guy come flag all your mines and then you spending 6 turns retaking them. It also meant a well timed attack on an undefended location could net you quite a bit of income for a few turns. I thought it struck a good balance between having harass give the attacker a decent reward without forcing the defender to try and stop 25 lone peasants running around his land capping all his stuff.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Izzet from MTG always had an awesome feel to me (can't figure out how to get it to link properly, copy paste the link instead of clicking):

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[izzet]

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
SM is pretty much better in every way unless you really want to play the original AoW2 campaign.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Keep in mind this is the game that had Julia plastered all over the box. Dwarf women with beards is going to kick rear end though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
But for this art it's very clear that her armor is in fact paper thin and probably just a layer of body paint.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Couldn't defenders just retreat to an adjacent hex? Unless there are no empty/friendly hexes available and then they're stuck fighting.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you playing on the easiest difficulty? I'm playing through on normal and by the time I got to the 3rd map the AI just comes over and wrecks my poo poo if I don't play super aggressively.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Eventually your army will desert you but it takes a while if they have high morale. Did you get to the mission with the Goblin Theocrat yet? They AI just waltzed in and took all my cities the first time I played it. I only won the second time by attacking him early.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a chart somewhere of all the units and their stats? I know the wiki has stuff on individual races/classes but I want to see stuff grouped together to do a comparison. For example, I could see just how much better each dwarf unit is compared to the ones other races have or which race has the best cavalry unit, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Need to just double down and go with 6 breasts or none.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Theocrats fighting in those structures with Choking Haze = tons of fee units.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

madmac posted:

Got it in one. :)

Though yeah, campaign spoilers and a new forum background, too. Plus some of that sweet new terrain stuff they put in for Artic/Desert, and well, you might want to pause at a few points in that video. Age of Death is a thing.

Man, I thought Golden Realms was a good deal, but $20 bucks is a loving steal for this much new content.

What I've seen of the campaign so far is pretty sweet, too. I like it better then the Golden Realms campaign which was better then the original campaign, so yeah.

Where do I send all my money?

So far this, and Blizzard games are the only things I'm willing to pre-purchase at full price.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The race changes LOOK SO GOOD.

I was worried all the new races would have the fun gimmicks but this is awesome.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The other day I noticed that my hero couldn't use all her special abilities in combat because they took up more than two rows. Any work around for that?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

madmac posted:

I want to say there's a little arrow button on the action interface you can use to cycle through abilities but I haven't been in that situation for a long time.

Yeah I looked around and didn't see one, just two buttons that both cycled through my units with action points.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So how do we actually play the beta?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah so you can't melee or something during your reload turn.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Chairman Pow! posted:

How does PBEM work for battles? Is it all auto resolved?

Battles against NPCs are manual, between players it's auto.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What about hospitals and masters guilds? I've had Juggernauts with 200 hp get fully healed over 3 turns or so.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

How do you even win a siege as the attacker at that point :psyboom:

Also have the same bonuses for yourself!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Their main problem of being hard to heal will be fixed so probably.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a reason why two different items allow the skill shock bolts now? I forget what the second one is called but there's a wand separate from the sorcerer starter item that allows shock bolts to be cast. As far as I can tell the two items are identical except for the name and graphic.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Warlord is pretty strong against the computer if you just buff the heck out of a tanky unit like a phalanx and just run into the middle of the map and defend until everything is dead. Something like last stand plus stone skin reduce all damage down to <5. I've taken out stacks of 3-4 units with just a phalanx that way.

Players will probably aggressively dispel you but the spells are cheap enough that you can spam them quite a bit.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

madmac posted:

Well, you've seen the most important bits. The only reason I haven't said anything about the dwelling yet is that I don't know if it's going to be the last Dev journal or something. Here, have a preview vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

How do we get the upgrade to walk mermaids on land?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sun Spear is now short range (was medium), does 4 fire/4 physical damage (was 7/7), has no ranged falloff, cooldown 2 turns (was 1 turn)

Well that sure is a huge nerf.

Sun Spear is now a free action, and can be used without spending any action points.

Ohhh ... :getin:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Warlords have insane combat buffs. Put last stand on a tireless phalanx and watch him take out an entire army.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Global martial arts is also kind of a big deal.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

victrix posted:

I was reading this thinking 'And I dimly recall a time when races/classes weren't differentiated enough'.

Now I have the opposite problem, I have to read the skill descriptions of every unit to see what abilities they have (this is a good problem).

Granted past a certain point you sort of deathblob through stuff, but its relevant when a fight is close.

I love that the site Gerblyn's girlfriend setup has the race specific abilities highlighted in a difference color.

Like so: http://aow3db.tumblr.com/post/116189229188/apprentice

e: Just noticed the Frostling Apprentice is listed as having Rime Fire but the ability tooltip is for Banefire.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 24, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Fluffy Tail posted:

Still, it's much better than needing a ram to take an ungarrisoned watchtower like you did in the first game.

My favorite part of AoW was using goblin suicide bombers to take over walled locations because their explosion counts as a wall breaker.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Allow infantry units to hop into a battering ram for 1 action point and 1 to disembark. They add their melee attack to the battering ram retaliation but otherwise all ranged/melee damage is taken by the ram instead of the unit inside.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Is this game more Civ or more HOMM? One thing I've realized recently is that I'm bored to death with 4x games, having bounced off of Endless Space/Legend and Galactic Civilizations 3 after less than an hour in each game. I hate the way those games just devolve into hitting next turn repeatedly, unlike HOMM where you're always doing something with your hero and cities don't need to be micromanaged.

More HoMM, every action you take is toward getting a bigger military so you can fight better. You ideally want to be fighting something every turn as that's the main way you earn resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Heroes of Might and Magic series did that with a few of its games. Each race would have two classes of heroes with slightly different skills/stats, one would concentrate on army buffs while the other had combat spells.

• Locked thread