Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Are signups for the tourney still open? Because I so, so want in.

Welcome aboard! I'm trying not to spam every page, but yes absolutely sign ups are still open. I'm leaving it open until next weekend at a minimum.

We're up to 14 challengers now!

Thyrork
Triskelli
orangelex44
Nasgate
ninjewtsu
Carnalfax
Smiling Knight
Malachamavet
MOVIE MAJICK
psudonym55
Voyager I
Guildencrantz
Daktari
Sjonnar

About a third of the challengers are people I've played before, the rest are unknowns, and I'm pretty excited to see how it all shakes out.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Sweet!

Let me go ahead and post the updated rules for the Tourney. To be changed as needed or desired, of course. We're not starting yet.

1. Standard settings are 2 Player 1 v 1 on a Small Map. Simultaneous Turns, Auto always vs Independents, Manual Always vs Players. All Default Settings.

Note, that standard just means standard. If you want to play Classic Turns, go for it. Underground on? Faster start? Yeah why not. As long as you agree pretty much anything flies, but if you don't agree than it defaults to standard.

Guidelines for Simultaneous Play and Basic Etiquette

General rule is don't be a dick. The game can get super-janky with the turn layering and this is not a click faster to win contest, so with that in mind, I have two rules.

A 15 Second Rule. Don't attack another player in the first 15 seconds of a turn, ever.

B Split Stacking. This can get loving complicated and I'm trying to keep it simple. Don't split up armies to your benefit just because you clicked half a second faster or the other guy is still moving stacks around. It's really easy to do this by accident and I get that, but if a dude has 5 stacks and he moves one up to you, assume he's not a loving idiot and let him move the other stacks before you attack. (Moving Defensively is always OK!)

I expect this to be a pain in the rear end to adjucate so just try to be adults about this, OK?

2. You will rotate your Race and Class Selections every game. You can't play the Same Class or the Same Race two games in a row. Alternating between two Leader builds is fine, just keep in mind that can make you very predictable. Metagaming this poo poo is highly encouraged! Show me the depths of your versatility, dammit!

I'm not currently making specialization switching a rule, but if I see people rocking Grey Guard Adept every match or something, I'm going to consider it. If you have opinions on this, let me hear them.

3. I expect everyone to play at least one game a week. If you can't contact someone or you have a life emergency, communicate that poo poo so we can work something out. If you and your opponent have time to knock out a three game series over one weekend, then great! The minimum is just a minimum and aside from not advancing the brackets until a round is finished you can do what you want. If you need to save a game and play it in chunks over a couple of days, go for it.

4. Join the loving Steam Group, I'm begging you. If you're GOG only than let me know upfront so we can work around it as needed. Communication is vital, people.

5. I need after-action reports for every game posted in this thread. Who you played, what Leaders you used, what went down, and who won. This is required.

Streaming/recording matches is not required, but highly encouraged! Keep in mind this game doesn't have replays or an Observer modem so live streaming is about the only way we can all get together and hype out about matches! Drop a link in the thread and one of us can probably even make it an event in the steam group so everyone can jump in and talk poo poo about your match in real time!

Oh, and if I catch any of you stream cheating even once your rear end is out of the tournament. It's not like we've got money on the line here, be a loving adult.

I think that about covers it for basic rules. If you've got questions/clarifications let me know. I'm planning to keep things open until next weekend and start things off the week after that, depending.

Actual Tournament format is also up in the air. It does depend on how many people we have, but I am mulling creating groupings and having you guys play mini-round robin style vs more of a Fighting Game style best 2 out of 3 Winners/Losers bracket dealie. I may or may not also make loser bracket matches hilarious gimmicks and free for all matches just to be a dick and speed things along.

Again, you have suggestions on this I'm listening. Also I haven't decided yet on whether to make Hero Resurgence in Auto a default setting or not. I'm willing to take a vote on this because I'm of two minds about it.

Also also I don't have any prizes for the winner but that's not so much me being a cheap bastard as not being able to think of anything appropriate.

And just so I can copy and paste this post later, the current challenger list!

Thyrork
Triskelli
orangelex44
Nasgate
ninjewtsu
Carnalfax
Smiling Knight
Malachamavet
MOVIE MAJICK
psudonym55
Voyager I
Guildencrantz
Daktari

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 4, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Like you said, this can get complicated so I'm fine if a consensus on this can't be reached or something, but what about a case where a defender has 4 or more stacks grouped up? Depending on which hex you attack, you can split the army up. Is this encouraged or discouraged or what?

Also I vote in favor of Hero Resurgence on Auto

This is a level of granularity I'm specifically trying to avoid, so I dunno. I know it's a thing people bitch about a lot, so as a compromise...Look, if you have three stacks in a triangle formation you're guaranteed at least three stacks in a battle. If you're attacking in a way that the defender has at least three stacks, I'm not seeing a problem. Initiative should count for something.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

edit: please make roleplaying mandatory too :v:

You can roleplay as much as your heart desires in your After Action Reports.

Edit: I will consider making it a rule that Ninjewtsu has to speak in a random accent every match, though. I can make a chart!

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 4, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Mac I probably have some stuff I can give away on steam to toss in for prizes if you want it. Uh...looks like I have a copy of 7 days to die and Darkest Dungeon. Some other junk no one will care about (like AoW3 itself since anyone playing will already have it). Maybe we could do a potluck pool of prizes?

I'd be up for a random prize pool if we can get enough participation to pull it off. No rush in any event.

I'd really like some opinions on tournament format. Like I said, the two main ideas I've been looking at are:

1. I put everyone in groups of, like, 4 and everyone in the group plays everyone else once. The 2 players in the pool with the best record advance. Tie breakers will be subject to my arbitrary whims.

Main advantage here is that everyone gets to play a variety of opponents at the start instead of getting stomped by one guy multiple times.

2. 1 vs 1, best 2/3 matches to advance, with the possibility of a losers bracket of the damned existing that will probably be incredibly unfair.

Note that regardless if we do 1 or 2 we'll be doing 1 v 1 best out of three matches once we get the pool slimmed down enough.

quote:

Will you make a thread in the Let's Play forum for the tournament? It'd make it easier to follow the action, and may attract some other players that don't frequent this thread.

That's an interesting idea, so depends on if everyone else is up to it, I guess.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kinetica posted:

I am currently playing a goblin necromancer and am getting my rear end handed to me by a warlord with shadow stalkers. I went for goblin racial purity with blight empire since I haven't tried it, and I just cannot seem to kill these with any efficiency. Am I just bad, or am I both screwed and bad?

Use Banshees and Reapers, (They both do Spirit Damage in Melee, and Invoke Death works on Stalkers now) and also Goblin Blight Doctors with Weaken.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

I have actually seen the AI lose cities (or even lose entirely) to wandering monsters, but it is not a common thing. It happens way more to my friends that play the game from what I've seen, mostly because the AI likes to leave decent city defense forces and has omniscient vision.

Mac is the tourney using any of the alt win conditions or random events or anything? I know the games will probably be fast enough that they won't really come into play much anyway regardless, but they are pretty cool. Can't wait to see people's novel length LPs of their tourney games. The stuff from the Triumph and beta tester PBEM brawl was really entertaining.

Standard settings includes the added win conditions and Cosmic Events, so yeah. Those should all be on by default.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Even if you were super concerned about multiplayer balance for whatever reason I don't see how you can possibly think this game hasn't improved by leaps and bounds over the last year.

I remember the big Summer tournament before Golden Realms, where there was a rule that everyone could only play Sorcerer every other game (And they did!) and the only races anyone ever played were Elf, Dwarf, and Draconian, Maaaaaybe Orc if you were a try-hard Theocrat player.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
So, Tourney Chat. If I could get three more people for an even 16, it would help a lot with putting brackets together. I'll figure something out one way or another, just saying.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Sjonnar posted:

Fine. I suspect i'm pretty bad, and i hate the "autocombat vs AI rule" because it screws my favorite class, but count me in.

Maybe i can get a nice 0-8 record as orc Jesus. Something to put on my wall.

Whoo, added to the list!

Also, let me just say, for all the newer players joining the tourney. There's no rule against getting in a warm-up game or two before the tournament starts, in fact I encourage it! As tournament organizer I just want everyone to be able to play their best.

Another good way to practice for multiplayer is just to start a small map with tournament settings and practice using autoresolve vs indies, it might sound dumb but it will actually help you a lot. Half the skill in using auto-resolve is just being able to effectively guestimate what your units can handle on their own, with minimal suicides.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Goblin Rogues got a sneaky buff through Military 2, that +5 HP bonus on all irregulars totally negates their racial weakness on Goblin Scoundrels and Assassins, which were already dirt cheap and hard hitting units, especially the Scoundrels that basically cost nothing and get +4 ranged blight damage on crossbow attacks.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

stopgap1 posted:

I would love to be part of the tournament... but me actually getting to play games seems... unlikely? I work 9-5 and have to wait till 8 pm before I can actually play games etc. do you still need the last person?

I'm looking for two more people, actually so I'd certainly love to have you!

As for game time, I expect most people will be playing one game each weekend, if that works better for you?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

stopgap1 posted:

I can try, I have a rather young munchkin so it would have to be a weekend night game most likely or midday. but sounds good to me.

You're on the list, sir! Make sure you join the steam group if you haven't already, that applies to everyone.

1. Thyrork
2. Triskelli
3. orangelex44
4. Nasgate
5. ninjewtsu
6. Carnalfax
7. Smiling Knight
8. Malachamavet
9. MOVIE MAJICK
10. psudonym55
11. Voyager I
12. Guildencrantz
13. Daktari
14. Sjonnar
15. stopgap1
16. Azran

16 players, gently caress yeah! This is a proper tournament!

Sign ups are still open until this weekend if anyone else wants in, but I'm going to consider this good enough to move ahead with even if we don't get anyone else. Time to start playing with brackets...

madmac fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 6, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Azran posted:

Ah gently caress it, count me in. Available pretty much any time of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

If anyone else wants in sign ups are still open, but otherwise I am very happy to move forward with a proper 16 man tournament.

Plan for the first round is going to be groups of four, played Round Robin. (So everyone plays everyone else in the group, which is three games each.)

2 players will advance from each pool, with the possibility of loser bracket matches to fill any sudden vacancies or just because. I don't have it all worked out yet.

Also, I'll set it up so that in the second round, you will be playing people who weren't in your starting group. I'm trying to arrange it so everyone gets to fight as broad a pool of players as possible.

For prizes, I like the idea of having everyone pitch in some random steam gift, lets not pretend we don't all have virtual junk lying around. I'm also up for buying the eventual Champion a Custom Title, if they want one, but I'm poo poo at designing these things, so y'know up to you guys to create something cool.

We're a long way from the finish though, so no rush. If you got any other prize or tournament organization ideas, let me hear them. I'll be in a corner somewhere putting the starting groups together.

Meanwhile, feel free to start practicing and plotting, and let me know if you need any additional rules clarifications or something similar! I'll see if I can bang out a final rules set after I've gone through everyone's questions.

madmac fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 6, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Much Dice Rolling (Seriously) Later, I've come up with the preliminary groupings.

I'll do a full post with the rules again later, and I'm not starting the tournament until at least Saturday, but posting the list early gives you guys time to make contacts and figure out your schedules.

Also means I can do some re-arranging based on time zones or whatever if there's a serious scheduling issue. Also also you can start plotting your counterpicks in advance.

Meet your opponents!

Group A

Daktari
Voyager I
Azran
Smiling Knight

Group B

Triskelli
MOVIE MAJICK
Malachamavet
psudonym55

Group C

stopgap1
ninjewtsu
Thyrork
Sjonnar

Group D

orangelex44
Carnalfex
Nasgate
Guildencrantz

As I said earlier, the first round will be Round Robin based. That means you have to play everyone else in your group once, but what order you play in is up to you, and I'm only expecting one game a week out of you. (If you can manage more than that, great!) Also since we're a bit ahead of schedule I'm giving y'all a one week extension, so you have two weeks to get your first game in from this coming Sat.

This is just a heads up and making sure this will work, I'll put together a formal list with the reposted rules and crap later and also post it in the Steam Group for easy reference.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I kinda like Beetles, actually. They're really cheap for a T3 and pretty nasty flankers. Sudden Beetle rush into someones backside is always the worst thing.

I'm not that big on Wall Crushing strategies generally, though. It can work, but it's always bloody and if you run out of Wall Crushers without opening a gap, well...

Edit: I've posted the first round brackets in the steam group for easy reference, but just in case anyone missed them.

Meet your opponents!

Group A

Daktari
Voyager I
Azran
Smiling Knight

Group B

Triskelli
MOVIE MAJICK (Dick Boss)
Malachamavet
psudonym55 (BlueMagnusStormCrow)

Group C

stopgap1
ninjewtsu
Thyrork
Sjonnar

Group D

orangelex44
Carnalfex (Internet Janitor)
Nasgate
Guildencrantz

As I said earlier, the first round will be Round Robin based. That means you have to play everyone else in your group once, but what order you play in is up to you, and I'm only expecting one game a week out of you. (If you can manage more than that, great!) Also since we're a bit ahead of schedule I'm giving y'all a one week extension, so you have two weeks to get your first game in from this coming Sat.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 6, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think Rogue is better than ever, actually. It's just never been a class geared towards fighting your opponent directly. It's not just about the City Enchants (which are nasty) but being able to constantly evade your opponent and wear them down with harassment.

The vassal system especially adds a lot of depth and options for them, and they've got Dark Pact to keep up late game.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 6, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Having played with it more, trying for a Fast Assassin strategy works way better than Scoundrel Spam. Still bleeding units everywhere, but it matters less since leveling up my units isn't integral to the strategy anymore. Still need to play against a human, since I don't even want to deal with the headache of trying to make stealthed units work out against the AI, but I've more or less worked out getting to Assassins in a reasonable time frame (turn 15ish is usable right? I'm mostly shooting for "assassins out and about before turn 20")

That seems reasonable to me. Of course once you get Assassins down, you're next step is learning a build order for Bard Spam. And then never using it again probably, but hey it'll be fun!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
On the subject of Rogues and Scoundrel opens, I've been meaning to try it myself but Halfling Rogue with their slingshot scoundrels look really interesting for that strat.

I mean, at the very least your scoundrels shouldn't be rushing in front to get killer flank shots, and mass crippling wounds x 3 might make them hard to approach in any case. I've heard good things, just haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

psudonym55 posted:

Just occurred to me that I have a different Steam and SA account name. I'm BlueMagnusStormCrow on steam.
Might want to add that in next to my name to make me easier to find by people.

Got you covered! Along with a new other name differences I know about. I'll update the list on steam tonight. Anyone else have a different handle please let me know.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Is it too late for me to jump on this? I'm American Jenkem on Steam.

As it happens doing pools give me extra flexibility, so what the hell. I'll drop you in one of the existing groups sometime tonight.

quote:

There really isn't a way to increase Dwarven morale is there? The only terrain they like are mountains and cavern walls, which either can't be changed or only taken away.

This is something of a hidden drawback with Dwarves, yes. Of course, there are elemental specializations that can make any city like "X" and various class abilities that raise happiness so it's not a total loss.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Holy poo poo can a Rogue drag out a losing battle

I almost made Internet Janitor play Hide and Seek with my leader

The real trick is to hold out long enough to make it a winning battle. Burn down all the cities, see who runs out of money first!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Sent a friend invite to the only person in my group who a) is in the Steam group and b) was thoughtful enough to provide a Steam name...

Carnalfex is Internet Janitor, if he's not the one you've contacted.

Seriously people, if you have different steam names I need to know!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Just a heads up, I've updated the brackets in the Steam Group with Proper Steam Names for people I'm aware of and I've put American Jenkem into Group D. I might move him later if I need to, I dunno. For now consider it official.

Note that because we're doing pools, I'm still only advancing two people from each group into winners, so having five in your group just means everyone plays an extra game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Istvun posted:

Well, I just confirmed that I'll be able to play AoW on my old computer while I'm away, but it sounds like the tournament's already started.

Of course, I have about two half games under my belt and haven't bought either expansion, so it's pretty lucky for the rest of you. I'd be bringing strats you couldn't believe

Technically speaking, the Tournament doesn't start until Sat. If you still want in I can make it happen.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Istvun posted:

Eh, might as well. Sounds like a good time.

Put me in as Bye

I'll do you one better!

You're in Group A.

If anyone drops out I reserve the right to shuffle people around, but otherwise, here's the updated brackets:

Group A

Istvun
Daktari (DaktariSA)
Voyager I
Azran
Smiling Knight

Group B

Triskelli
MOVIE MAJICK (Dick Boss)
Malachamavet

Group C

stopgap1
ninjewtsu
Thyrork
Sjonnar

Group D

orangelex44
Carnalfex (The Internet Janitor)
Nasgate
Guildencrantz
American Jenkem

Courtesy reminder to join the loving Steam Group!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I won't begrudge anyone playing larger maps, because it's fun playing with all the high level toys sometimes, but man the amount of tedious clean-up required is not for me. I just stick to small or medium maps and stall if I want to play with something in particular.

It's not even really an AoW thing though, just TBS games in general always have a huge casual crowd that loves them some long-rear end games on big maps. People would complain bitterly about the more recent HoMM games not supporting bigger maps even though it has the strategic depth of a puddle after you get all your unit and spell tiers unlocked, and I still remember when Rome 2 was coming out there was a giant hellthread of people screaming about the game having a built in time-limit of like, 350 turns because man they're just getting started around there, you know?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Vassalizing is actually a lot slower and more expensive than outright buying cities used to be before it was added, it's just the added benefits (defense) and hands-off micro-management that make it so appealing. This was never a game where a Rogue couldn't sent out crows and buy up everything if he wanted to, though.

The early game is overall quite a bit slower because it takes longer to integrate cities through diplomacy and on the evil side the increased costs of migration, ect but I find the mid-game picks up the slack and vassals streamline city management in a great way and I basically just love how the game flows in EL.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Speaking of playing it slow, I've been watching Das's youtube lets plays of EL and duuuude. I kinda like your videos and all, but your first Necromancer attempt crumpled on turn 50 because the AI attacked you one time, and now you're on turn 39 of your Tigran Necromancer attempt and still rocking +10 research because you never built a lab and just barely picked up your second city. (I'll just grab Summon Banshee, 22 turns of research, NBD)

Granted he kicked it down to Lord for the second attempt so he might still live somehow but geez man.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, confirmed. Scoundrel Start with Halfling Rogue is kiiiinda good now that they have slingshots. I need a little more practice but I'm digging it. Will be even better once Military 2 gets fixed.

I should really try playing around with Martyr Starts too, though...

Also courtesy reminder that the Goon Tournament officially opens tomorrow and I will be looking forward to all your lovely Fanfiction After Action Reports.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 8, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

Would halfling mounted archers getting slingshots actually change anything other than cosmetics and I guess RG2 synergy?

Halfling Mounted Archers got a neat buff already, they get +2 Resist same as the Pony Riders. Besides slings are more of an irregular thing so even as a cosmetic change I wouldn't like it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

So are we making an LP thread for the tournament?

I know it was suggested before, but is that something we want to do?

I can make a thread and stuff but content wise it's going to be almost entirely on you guys that are playing to post After Action Reports and/or Streams/Videos.

Basically, I'm worried we won't have enough content to justify an LP thread. If everyone is planing to stream their games and/or do some real effort posting for their AAR that'd be one thing, but I don't know in advance how this tournament will go.

Now a PBEM tournament where everyone knew in advance they needed to be documenting their turns and taking screenshots, ect could be basically like any of the various Dominions LP thread and I could see that working out. Maybe for a future tournament.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 8, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There are days I have to wonder if "Elves, Exalted and Stealth are Underpowered" Guy is secretly playing a bizarro world version of the game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My only complaint about high elves are their racial passive choices seem underwhelming compared to some of the game changers the other races get, I haven't used high elf in any eternal lord games though, maybe in practice arcane arrows are actually good.

Arcane Arrows is one of the most powerful military upgrades in the game. It lets all of your archers flip the switch at will between Shock Damage to destroy machines, incorporeal, or high defense units, and still use their normal attacks to decimate low defense/high res units like supports. Arcane Arrow Archers have no natural counter, basically.

Reduced Phase cooldown on Unicorn Riders is also pretty amazing, Longbow Shock Sisters is kinda bullshit to be on the receiving end of. Military 5 speaks for itself.

Even their economic buffs are pretty good overall, especially the +research (Which is Tier 3 now) and +CP picks. You may not build bathhouses a lot, but with Econ 2 you should, because it's pretty much a free tier of city happiness.

I'm not saying Elves are overpowered necessarily, but they absolutely are and always have been one of the most powerful races in the game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I kind of see his point with Supports, in some ways it does seem odd that true sight is so easy to get. On the other hand, if it wasn't I'm guessing stealth nonsense in multiplayer games would be super annoying.

In my experience, you basically never see stealth units used by a good player coming as it is, since they're not exactly trying to walk within vision range of your main army and very few scouts/mobile units have true sight.

Supports with True Sight give you a little bubble of stealth protection but are also mostly really slow so it can be surprisingly difficult hunting down a concealed unit even when you have a decent idea where they went.

quote:

That's not how you spell "Goblin"

If there's one thing I can promise from the goon tournament, its that we'll be sure to see some interesting Dreadnaught play. (Everyone is working on their alts, right?)

Oh, and Goblins. We definitely have some Goblin players.

madmac fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 8, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nasgate posted:

So i feel like it might be possible to martyr rush better with grey guard and crits, but I got my rear end handed to me by Orangelexes arcane warriors.

Mmmm. Martyr Rush is mostly about boosting your survival chances and getting as early a start as possible. Mark of the Heretic helps a lot in terms of damage, I would think that Scales of Fortune would come too late to be really useful and just slow down your acquisition of necessary techs for the strategy to work.

I need to experiment with it more myself, but word I hear is that Orc and Halflings are the best races for the strat, in that order. Mark of the Heretic early (cast it on independents before you attack) also makes a huge difference.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
So, in my Steam Group Announcement I put the tournament down as starting today because I'm an illiterate moron who can't read a calender, but gently caress everything I was going to launch things before I went to bed anyway.

The First Official Goon Tournament Starts Now!

Get out there, kick some rear end and then come back to the thread and tell me about it. Brackets have not been changed, but I'll repost them below for your convenience.

Group A

Istvun
Daktari (DaktariSA)
Voyager I
Azran
Smiling Knight (Polytropic Knight)

Group B

Triskelli
MOVIE MAJICK (Dick Boss)
Malachamavet

Group C

stopgap1
ninjewtsu
Thyrork
Sjonnar
The Royal Scrub (shifted)

Group D

orangelex44
Carnalfex (The Internet Janitor)
Nasgate
Guildencrantz
American Jenkem

Any Questions/Problems/General Bitching post them in the thread or hit me up on Steam. Good luck!

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 9, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'll be a stand-in for the tournament even though I've never played online before, if someone bails.

I have an odd number of players anyway, if you want it I'll stick you in Group C right now.

quote:

You want one game per week, correct? What about the two groups with an extra person - someone's going to have to double up every week, or else someone has to sit out and the tourney go one week longer.

I have no expectation that all the groups are going to finish at the same time so don't sweat it too much.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Azran posted:

The idea is that we play 1v1s against people in our bracket?

Right. You're only required to play once a week (But you can do more) but the idea is to get one game in against every other person in your bracket. 2 Winners will advance from each bracket based on their overall win record. I need a full after action report for each tournament game you play posted in this thread. Your Leader, other guys Leader, what happened, who won, ect. Feel free to effort post as hard as you feel like. I'm not going to fan-fiction shame anyone in this thread.

Once the brackets get smaller we'll switch to 1 vs 1 best of three matches for the semi-finals and up. Note that we may have drop-outs ect, which means that even if you're eliminated in the first round, there may be an opportunity to advance later so stick around.

Remember that you can't play the same Race or Class two games in a row. Gotta switch it up a bit, but you can play, for example, Human Dreadnaught, than Elf Druid, then Human Dreadnaught again, ect.

Let me just go ahead and re-post the general rules:

1. Standard settings are 2 Player 1 v 1 on a Small Map. Simultaneous Turns, Auto always vs Independents, Manual Always vs Players. All Default Settings. I have decided I will allow Hero Resurgence set to autocombat only, if both players agree.

Note, that standard just means standard. If you want to play Classic Turns, go for it. Underground on? Faster start? Yeah why not. As long as you agree pretty much anything flies, but if you don't agree than it defaults to standard.

Guidelines for Simultaneous Play and Basic Multiplayer Etiquette

General rule is don't be a dick. The game can get super-janky with the turn layering and this is not a click faster to win contest, so with that in mind, I have two rules.

A 15 Second Rule. Don't attack another player in the first 15 seconds of a turn, ever.

B Split Stacking. This can get loving complicated and I'm trying to keep it simple. Don't split up armies to your benefit just because you clicked half a second faster or the other guy is still moving stacks around. It's really easy to do this by accident and I get that, but if a dude has 5 stacks and he moves one up to you, assume he's not a loving idiot and let him move the other stacks before you attack. (Moving Defensively is always OK!)

I expect this to be a pain in the rear end to adjucate so just try to be adults about this, OK?

2. You will rotate your Race and Class Selections every game. You can't play the Same Class or the Same Race two games in a row. Alternating between two Leader builds is fine, just keep in mind that can make you very predictable. Metagaming this poo poo is highly encouraged! Show me the depths of your versatility, dammit!

3. I expect everyone to play at least one game a week. If you can't contact someone or you have a life emergency, communicate that poo poo so we can work something out. If you and your opponent have time to knock out a three game series over one weekend, then great! The minimum is just a minimum and aside from not advancing the brackets until a round is finished you can do what you want. If you need to save a game and play it in chunks over a couple of days, go for it.

Because I started the tournament ahead of schedule like three times, this first week is a freebie. You all actually have two weeks to get your first game in.

4. Join the loving Steam Group, I'm begging you. If you're GOG only than let me know upfront so we can work around it as needed. Communication is vital, people.

5. I need after-action reports for every game posted in this thread. Who you played, what Leaders you used, what went down, and who won. This is required.

Streaming/recording matches is not required, but highly encouraged! Keep in mind this game doesn't have replays or an Observer modem so live streaming is about the only way we can all get together and hype out about matches! Drop a link in the thread and one of us can probably even make it an event in the steam group so everyone can jump in and talk poo poo about your match in real time!

Also keep in mind that if there's any sort of irregularities and you don't have a recording than it will be that much harder to resolve disputes. Up to you.

Oh, and if I catch any of you stream cheating even once your rear end is out of the tournament. It's not like we've got money on the line here, be a loving adult.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

Ok, I'm in unless anyone has a problem with it. So we just talk to everyone in our group and find a time to play?

You got it! I'll add your name to the brackets.

• Locked thread