Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sweet the most boring races of all time made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So much nostalgia for me in all the artwork. Age of Wonders 1 was what I played all the time as a kid.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lots of asspergers in this thread about immersion. Did you guys play the other AOWs, no? Because if you did, you would know diminishing strength would be a really retarded thing in this game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Played the poo poo out of this series when I was a kid/teenager, I'm so excited. I remember your beta tester BloodyBattleBrain I think from the competitive multiplayer league for aow1, played with him a bunch. Did you guys hire any of the big modders like Dwigg? Now that was a good mod

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I forget, could you give your heroes possess?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will I be able to play this at midnight?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
7 minutes to install because I have big dick internet

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone detecting themes of Red Alert 2 in the campaign?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Its really cool how there are weird neutral cities now.

My city just got captured by a floating temple :stare:

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 31, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I never thought Id see another age of wonders game when Triumph started producing those Overlord titles. I'm very happy atm

Pomp posted:

Woah, is there no reason to leave your main hero at your throne anymore? I'm doing the elf campaign, and I'm noticing no influence hexes.

Yeah it brings together the best leadership stuff from the first and second game. One thing I'm disappointed in is that all your heroes can only cast one spell a turn

I suppose that stops the dropping of triple fireballs turn one

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 31, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What does the difficulty setting do for the campaign? Make the AI more aggressive?

Soxorss posted:

Been following this game for a few weeks and am considering buying it. Not a lot of reviews out there right now - Goons, should I buy this game?

Are there crippling issues/bugs on launch? Is it awesome? I am flying blind

It's awesome, buy it

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Manifest posted:

Can anyone confirm that they've gotten it working at 1920x1080?

Yes, its what Im running right now

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My favorite thing about this game right now is that spiders use ladders to climb walls

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Like: Keeping the same funny seduction sound effect from the first game

Dislike: Having my elf lady hero seduced by goblins and ending the campaign right away

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are their racial teir fours, and is the teir 3 the only one for a race?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

MoreLikeTen posted:

General strategy question, in the campaign's second scenario, I got stomped by the orc dude who had whole stacks of nothing but his tier 3 racial unit (chimera riders or something). I had mostly 2's and some 1's, mostly archdruid specific stuff. When I restarted, I built nothing but flying dragon dudes, and did pretty well. Do tier 1/2 units just stop being helpful after a point? By using only tier 3 units, do you leave any specific weaknesses in your army?

In the second elf mission take your draconian hero to the top left of the map, you get a gold dragon and a place that makes gold dragons. Instant win.

In these campaign missions a lot of the time you basically have infinite resources about half way in, so of course you want armies of the highest tier available. In multiplayers, and scenarios, you airnt going to be in constant high finance so sometimes its a gamble.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

LordSloth posted:

The change to attack and defense from AoW2/SM was pretty significant to making tier 1 & 2 units more significant. To go just to the core of the mechanics, disregarding some of the more advanced factors I can't yet speak to. You no longer miss. The base physical damage for all attacks is ten, with attack added and defense subtracted, and the damage variance of 20% is applied at the very end. Throw in directional facing for shields and flanking and guard mode, various traits and leader buffs, and low level units can hang in a bit longer with say monster slaying and superior numbers.

The falloff is still there, but the low level guys remain a bit more useful to seed your army with - unless you're trying to fight orcish greatswords with elven archers instead of initiates. I also think this change makes health a lot more significant than it used to be.

Most particular of all is shields and flanking, which are two strength mutually exclusive options. If one of your units lets you set up a shield unit for a flanking attack, that is +4 damage difference on three attacks.

Your units also get experience from more than just killing blows, so even when you're trying to send most of the experience towards your hero, your chaff isn't stagnating.

Yeah I have to agree that the battle mechanics are improved over what was an already interesting tactical game. In the old AoW's tier 1 and (most tier 2) units were gently caress all useless an hour into any multiplayer/single player game. There was too much randomness in how attack, damage and defense worked. It was an all or nothing (like XCom) chance to hit, and then damage got rolled on a dice from 1 to [your damage rating]. Two huge dice rolls. Also, in both games, certain elemental strike attacks were hella unbalanced. Lightning and cold based damage basically meant that unit was dead and having that mechanic on a damaging strike was a bit much.

Heroes in Age of Wonders 1 most of the time got hella crazy powerful, and if your leader died you lost the game. It was sort of a cool mechanic but at the same time led to a lot of really lame losses coming from unlucky goblin stabs. Age of Wonders 2 made leaders respawn at wizard towers, but also basically useless in battle. Domain was a bit silly in that game. I like how its now around every city. Also heroes were usually not AoW super crazy in hand to hand combat, but if you pumped their spell casting up you could win a lot of battles in one turn, with battle magic. I like the move away from that.

Basically this game is taking all the things I like about the first two games, mashing them together, and then improving on that mixup.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

boredsatellite posted:

Something about the AI gets hilarious in the campaign when you start amassing stacks of doom.

They start abandoning the cities you are going attack and raze them and then turtle up with their huge rear end stacks at the next available city.

Then once you arrive there they start retreating for some reason and you can pick off the stacks that get left behind. This continues all the way back to the throne city where there truly is a clusterfuck of stacks

Yeah, I actually think it's awesome. In other games the AI would just throw stacks at you without thinking. Now it seems to have threat detection and it's a funny behaviour that makes me feel cool for amassing such a scary army.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Obama applauds you

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Have the day off, anyone want to play multiplayer? hit me up http://steamcommunity.com/id/wya

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

bennyfranks posted:

I wish the Evolving units did so a bit earlier. It takes quite a while to get a Gold medal on your Apprentice/Hatchling whatever, and you still only wind up with a tier 2 or 1 unit which you could have made an army of by the time you get your baby unit up to snuff.

The baby spiders makes some good poo poo

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This is the same situation with when AoW:SM came out. People were having trouble with the campaign, and it turned out they were spending 100 turns building up then getting overwhelmed. Gotta take it to the AI fast

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can someone please link me to the video of the guy screaming about no wizard towers

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cyclomatic posted:

Uh, how the heck do you split an army stack?

You cant. Armies stuck together stay together

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Been playing with my brother. 1v1 is a good way to play this game

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gerblyn posted:

Well, apparently we're working on something to allow people to use Himachi/VPNs to bypass university routers and stuff, but that's really not my area. I've been running round like an idiot trying to rebalance research all day, so I haven't been paying much attention to the tech side of things.

I'm afraid to say though, that if the changes were gonna come, they'd be mentioned in the patch notes.

Herm, sounds broken. I guess that's why we're having a beta rather than just making it live for everyone! I'll make a note for us to check it on Monday.

I PMd you about it.

Well the AI was never aggressive to me in the campaign on hard (never once attacked me), before the patch too. But thats more due to me being ultra aggressive I think

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Splicer posted:

One thing I really liked about AoW1 and missed in AoW2 was the multiple AI types. You could set AIs to be aggressive or defensive or expansionistic or slash-and-burn or what have you. If that were to make a comeback I would be a happy man.

Except that they all did the same poo poo no matter what you picked so it didnt really matter

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The beta patch is pitch perfect

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Guys complaining about the endgame should try the beta patch. poo poo definitely improves

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's the best place to go to for multiplayer?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh dammit I thought they were making it so that you could still do things like have your own combat while someone else does manual combat

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Impossible to find goons to play with! Can you make it so you can message people in the steam group without being friends? Or maybe so people can make events

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 12, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does anyone else find the medium maps are too large?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carnalfex posted:

Yeah this is nice in that you can play without giving away your position / class to your opponents, which is important! Unfortunately it doesn't help with the whole encouraging everyone to afk during battles, especially in 4+ player games.

I think what people really wanted was the ability to continue to play during a battle. As long as they don't interact with the armies in the battle itself there is not a possibility of screwing the game up. It would tremendously speed up games and make them feel much more smooth. Having it just put an icon over the stacks in a combat like crossed swords would work, pop up a message if you try to attack them saying that you have to wait until they are done.

The tactical combat is such an important and rich part of the game (this is good!) that encouraging people to spam autocombat detracts from the overall experience, and it is always annoying to lose units you would not have let die yourself. In this respect the no-spectate option has not really changed much. I was so very happy when I heard one of the devs mention the option on the forums but I don't think this is quite what everyone hoped for.

I hope Gerblyn and the team reads this and similar feedback as this aspect is a major stumbling block for a lot of people. No one wants alt tabbing to do something else to be a central part of the gameplay experience.

Still, this patch is amazing and even this aspect is somewhat improved over what it was before.

One idea I was thinking was to have multiplayer manual battle queued against the AI and then everyone do theirs simultaneously at the end of the turn.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can the devs reading this plz plz ask around and see how feasible this is

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's an objective fact that having simultaneous manual battles in multiplayer would improve the game 100x

Please support it here http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/suggestions-and-ideas-for-implementing-simultaneous-manual-combat-into-mp/

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Add me, WYA, I want to play today all day please

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where is a good place to snag multiplayer maps for this game

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carnalfex posted:

Steam workshop. What kind of maps are you most interested in?

Multiplayer maps for versus, stuff that is balanced and more directed than RNG maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gerblyn posted:

Everyone is :( I argued so hard for it, but I was overruled.

Finally, I'm so tempted to change the lore text for the Warbreeds to imply that they're all females.

Randomly assign genders to all the non-humanoids

• Locked thread