Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a!n
Apr 26, 2013

How do I register my Steam product key without linking my Steam and Triumph accounts?

I want to reduce my exposure to this Triumph account business to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

In theory you can just click "No" when it asks you to link your account and then enter the product key in the next panel. I can't ask my boss at the moment what the consequences are of doing that though... It might be a good idea to ask on our support forums about it, so someone who's in the office can give you a better answer.

The thing is I can't even find my product key. Steam doesn't have the usual options and if it's somewhere in the registry I haven't found it.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Triskelli posted:

This is something I've pondered quite a bit, do Lizardmen need to be in the game when we already have Draconians? I thought they were the same race (with the elemental bonuses shifted but still). I've got the same conflict with Archon/Undead and adding back the dark elves/wood elves when we already have High Elves. Maybe they could add subraces and add frostlings as a relative to Goblins but that feels awkward to me.

In my mind none of these are alike in any way at all. But you have to put in the work to make their existence in the universe plausible, which can be a reason to omit them.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

drat the Power of the Word spell is hella overpowered. Just stunlock entire armies for 6 turns :v:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I don't get the qualms people have with Shooters. They're really good for clearing the map and defending in my experience as you can quite easily lure the AI into a concave of Shooters and melt them one or two at a time.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

One pet peeve, this game could really use either a toggle to allow to move multiple stacks ('Grand Armies?') in formation, or some sort of a grace period when you're moving stuff before the AI kicks in. As it is, I had an army of four deathstacks I was going to take an AI city with - I moved the first one in and then got locked out while the AI swarmed the first stack with a bunch of its own units. I never got the chance to move the other stacks before they attacked - I could select the other three stacks alright, but they wouldn't move until the AI would stop moving its own stuff. Humans simply aren't as good at multitasking a bazillion-odd stacks like the AI can, so it's already at an advantage there.

This is why simultaneous turns are the absolute worst in a turn based game. Given that you're playing against the AI, it shouldn't make a difference if you switch over to classic turns since the load times are quite fast (at least for me and I have trouble running the game at steady fps on low settings).

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

How do heroes work in random maps? If you don't recruit your initial hero will another one appear after a while (I think that's how it used to work in older games)?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Dropbear posted:

Based on all the praise I might get it anyway, but nobody did answer my question about city-spamming earlier - are there any mechanics to counted ICS strategies here, or is pumping cities in any available space always the go-to tactic (if you have city building on)?

You have to be able to protect them and protecting them becomes continually harder as armies and territories grow. The AI is quite good at snatching up cities with little defenses, so spreading out too thin seems like a bad idea.

Theres also only very few resource producing tiles. Building a city with none of these nearby for the sake of having another city comes with greater opportunity cost.

In my experience it's just not an efficient strategy.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Mighty Meek is a good start, it's +2 damage, per damage type, per tier difference. Elven Archers will do +6 damage per shot vs Manticore Riders. If you can get an army led by a Hero with Sacred Arms (or something that gives all units +1 elemental melee damage, like Sorceror's Charged Army) and have pikemen, then cast Mighty Meek on the pikeman, the pikeman will get +11 physical (6 for mighty meek and 5 for polearm) and +7 elemental damage (+1 for charged army, +6 for mighty meek). Mighty Meek is amazing on Goblin Swarm Darters as well.

If you want a simpler approach, Exalted spam is useful against most things, mainly because the Exalted all have Resurgence, so even if they die it doesn't matter as long as you win! You get the manticore rider to attack one Exalted, then get the other Exalted to multi-flank it.

Wow, I didn't know it worked that way. I always kind of discarded the spell as useless, but apparently you guys don't put useless stuff in your game. :aaa:

Does that mean that an attack like faerie fire will get +6 damage (+2 per damage type) per tier difference so it could potentially do +18 damage? :aaaaa:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Pet peeve of mine: Why does the game default to simultaneous turns all the time? If I play a turn-based strategy game I want it to be turn-based and not turn-based-but-also-not-better-click-fast. It can work in multiplayer if everyone agrees to it, but everywhere else it really doesn't make any sense. I accidentally started a random map with it and it didn't even speed up the game at all.

VVVV:

You're right. The last AoW I played was shadow magic and it had simultaneous turns set as default.

Since there apparently are people preferring simultaneous turns: Apart from multiplayer how does it improve the game for you? I'm genuinely puzzled. :psyduck:

a!n fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 6, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

The pikemen also shouldn't be tougher than the infantry units that come with Shield or those would become obsolote really fast (unless I'm missing some hidden utility that would make up for that).

a!n fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 6, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Is there a list of what exactly the different Specializations add? The in-game tome is kind of vague about it and I couldn't find any information in spell descriptions either. I mean I could always try it manually but :effort: and I like to sperg about possible combinations.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Tomn posted:

If you're an adept of water, for instance, a fire node gives you 10 mana, while a water node gives 15. Also the nodes themselves have different battlefield effects. That's about it.

Go to the Tome of Wonders, specifically to the "skill" tab. Look near the top of the list - there should be an option to filter the skills to things like Dreadnought-Only, Air Adept-Only, Expander, etc. You can do the same thing with units for the various races/classes, too.

:neckbeard: Thank you so much!

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

When the game was released I was suffering from a really bad cold and didn't feel like playing (because playing means thinking means pain and also sitting up straight - UGH!). That didn't stop me from playing some campaign maps. Now that I've recovered I've been able to delve a bit deeper into the game and it's truly amazing how many options for army customization there are. Playing on Emperor right now and at first I had trouble deciding which way to play my Dreadnought. There is so much synergy to be exploited it's not funny. Go Draconians for fire resistance to use with flame tanks? Dwarves also for a bit of fire resistance and super buff Infantry? High Elves for Sidearms on cavalry and long bow support? Orcs come with super tough infantry to protect your machines and benefit from all the anti-magic stuff the Dreadnought has. Goblins add another damage type and get upgraded Swarm Darters which should be great for early game.

After some thought I decided go with High Elves because shooting Cavalry seemed great and Longbowmen seem to be a great cheap way to defend cities. I tried to come up with a better Specialization than the default one for the only High Elf Dreadnought, which is Air Adept, Water Adept, Creation Adept. I knew I wanted to keep Air for Seeker Enchantment. Creation Adept seemed to go well with the High Elf terrain preference. Water Adept I did not like. It didn't really add anything, although Freeze Water seems handy. Vengeful Frost is a nice early game spell, but not all that amazing when your starting hero has a musket anyway. Summon Baby Kraken seems superfluous when you already have access to Ironclads, although I haven't tried those yet. For my next game I will probably replace this with Expander. Dreadnoughts rely on cities to get their most powerful units so having cities grow fast at no mana cost should help with that. I also figure it increases the odds of the spells I actually want appearing for research.

Creation Adept has positively surprised me in the early game. I was struggling to clear neutral camps without incurring losses until I got Holy Cure, at which point I could aggressively level the Warlord hero I recruited at the start of the game and turn him into an unstoppable tank. I feel like leveling the Dreadnought itself is not as useful, since they only need a few levelups to enable most of their utility (Repair Machine, Rapid Reload, Throw Net). He needs to be casting Seeker Enchantment and Holy Cure anyway. Maybe this is a bit of a short term approach, but it seems like the main heroes scale mostly from research.

So I spent the early game pretty much just clearing camps with my two heroes and two Musketeers (my initial army died to carelessness) while exploring the map with Spy Drones. I constructed two additional cities and pretty much only built production enhancing buildings, walls and Longbowmen to defend.

For research I got Musketeers as soon as possible and then picked up spells and goodies that would help me clear the map such as Holy Cure, Flash Bang. Once I had constructed a few knowledge increasing buildings I started researching flame tanks. I got two of those and started aggressively taking cities and that is pretty much as far as I've gotten before I could finally pull myself away from the game.

Sorry for the blog post, but basically thank you for this great game Gerblyn!

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

maev posted:

Is there an Undead / Necromancer option in this game?

Technically, yes. You can capture an Archon Dwelling who are your typical undead race. But, no, you can't start the game as them.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Mymla posted:

The worst thing about this game is that there's no production overflow. It means that in the late game, you get to choose between producing one tier 4 unit per turn, or one tier 1 unit per turn. Difficult choices.
There is really no reason why you shouldn't be able to crank out as many tier 1 units as you have production for every turn.

This also irks me. If it turns out to be too much you could always put a cap on the amount of units you can make per turn. This would naturally lend itself only towards low tier units as high tier units require too much production to get multiples per turn anyway.

e:

madmac posted:

I don't think I've ever build a single Tier 3 unit for Garrison purposes, except like Trebuchets. A couple archers or support units, maybe a low-tier class unit or Tier 2 Cav, possibly sub in a trebuchet or two if your racial ranged units are weak, will hold off anything short of an all-out attack, and it's a waste of resources and production time building a garrison heavy enough for that for anything but a throne city or crucial border town.
This is also my experience. I remember in Shadow Magic when I figured out that a bunch of low tier ranged units and some Druids could effectively hold off any ground army in a garrison by entangling whatever unit first enters the city gate and shooting the rest from above.

quote:

I have a feeling production overflow would end up benefiting higher tier units more then low tier ones in the long run.
Why? Isn't city production limited?

a!n fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 14, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Oh my god. If that works I hope it never gets removed. I can't wait to conquer the world with a flotilla of flying dutchmen. Sadly you can't combine it with the Dreadnoughts ironclads.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Is there any way to make the starting situation for the RMG less random? A game where I start without my scouting unit spell I usually just restart. At this point I'd rather start without any units than dealing with a random mess of a starting army.

The same goes for the heroes you get. Why are they random? :v:

a!n fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 1, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Gluttons are back!

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Can you dazzle your own units? Could be useful if their retaliations are weak and they have dodge.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I'd actually rather see Leprechauns as an eventual racial Tier IV unit. But as long as they have double luck I'm game. :getin:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

They can also do stuff with your siege engines which is pretty helpful.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I just took my first visit of the official forums. Is it me or do their balance discussions basically go like this:

'This thing synergizes with this other thing which other races/classes don't get therefore it's IMBA and OP.'

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Carnalfex posted:

I can't wait to murder "friendly" heroes travelling through my zone of control. Especially in multiplayer games. Going to join random games and tell them I'm roleplaying a disgruntled tollbooth worker on the edge. Send diplomacy demands for outrageous sums if anything comes near my borders.

With the way the map generator occasionally creates tight mountain passes this would work frighteningly well, assuming you can back up your authority, of course.

a!n fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 7, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

madmac posted:

Shark Assassins

Now Human Assassins need small plastic fins strapped around their waist. This needs to happen at any cost. :colbert:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

This is why I only play 1v1 with friends. We just can't stand simultaneous turns.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

madmac posted:

Even the older Age of Wonders games multiplayer scene almost entirely endured as play by email games, honestly. I'm sure you can find some diehards posting turns in obscure forums for Shadow Magic to this day.

Of course, that way you're just trading the ability to be super-careful with your moves and AI battles for having all your human fights automated, but it at least allowed for much longer games. I can't remember anymore how active multiplayer worked in those games but I think it was basically the same as now, auto-calc all day.

Never played PBEM with this kind of game. How are tactical battles between players handled? Do they just schedule a time and play a few turns during which battle is likely to occur?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Maybe making it so a engaging in a battle depletes all movement points and making tactical battles resolve at the end of the turn when all players have pressed end turn would make for a more fluid experience? The following turn would only start when every tactical battle is done. It's just an idea and could negatively affect map movement, but yeah.

The other solution would be to merge tactical and strategic maps somehow, which might be an idea for a future game.

a!n fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 15, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Just got the expansion. Tried to launch it and its telling me my password is invalid. This is impossible since I haven't changed it. I'm guessing they're having server issues or something?

edit: Yeah it's asking me to update the game now. Nevermind. FLING RAMPAGE

a!n fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

This game is awesome. It was awesome on release but keeps getting even more so. Great job to anyone involved.

I'm trying to describe why my current game as Human Dreadnought is also awesome, but it's all happening at once and I'm too much in a constant state of :neckbeard: to make it cohesive, but

Theocrat Warlord And Knights Murder Stack With Pistols

Not Paying Anything For Knights Thanks To Empire Quests Evolve And Convert

Flowrock Citadel And Focus Chamber In The Same City

Fighting Over Giant And Dragon Dwellings With Warlord Neighbour

Building The Biggest And Baddest Warlord Hero With New Items.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

To anyone questioning Eagle Riders, have you seen their range on the strategic map?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Turns out there is no default Halfling Dreadnought leader (or I had the luck of drawing him as an AI in my 3 AI games several times in a row).
So I had to make my own. Meet Beersmark Honeypanzer:

I've never used it before, but the hero creator is ridiculously fun!

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

madmac posted:

Golden Realms deserves some high quality lets play for sure. It's kinda aggravating that you almost can't find anyone playing this game past the original release date when there's just so much more game now then there was then.

I'm sure there will be another tournament going before long at least. I think partially some people were afraid of recording videos and revealing their "secret pro-strats" but the winner is the guy who streamed every major game, so we can see how well that worked out for them.

Does anyone know where to find these videos?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Gutrot posted:

Enjoying this immensely, but having trouble with basic unit navigation on the tactical map. How do you specify which hexes to move through?

For example, in the following image, I can't get the leader unit to take the hex on the left to reach the destination, marked with a cross in a circle, rather than pathing through the one on the right, which will incur an attack from the Crusader:

Firstly it wouldn't incur an attack from the crusader as he is facing away from you. You can just make the unit run to the hex you want and then let it go the rest of the way.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Since we're talking strategy how should one approach playing as Goblins or Halflings? Their units are individually weak and I always find myself trying to avoid relying on their racial units (including racial class units). Since almost every unit has a niche now I never feel they're useless, but they do seem... not ideal. I strongly suspect this is just me not knowing how to use them though.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I haven't made heavy use of Farmers yet but Nightwatch can be excellent and punch well above their weight. Since they get Backstab with veterancy, if you can pair them off with a semi-reliably disable like Sorcerer Apprentice stuns or Archdruid Shaman entangles, they can just get massive backstab damage all day since any direction of attack counts as flanking.

Dazzled also helps with this as they can safely get around the unit to backstab.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Carnalfex posted:

Thanks for the tips!

I would give a leg to be able to manual battle in multiplayer without games taking ten years, though. Seriously, I would buy the game again as a director's cut version or whatever many times over.

Going to try some ravenous goblin horde tactics!

I'm fine with games taking ten years in this genre. I don't mind saving the game and continuing at a later date. If anything that let's you think on your strategy a bit.

It's just a matter of how convenient these ten years are. The crux is that there are many interruptions in the games flow so even playing PBEM isn't optimal. But that would raise the question whether you would want combat and strategic turns to be equal. It would require potentially a lot of micromanagement and throw off the timing of empire building. It would allow you to affect the battle from the outside by sending reinforcements, casting spells or whatever. You'd have to accomodate for it by allowing surprise attacks and ambushes to still happen without turning every battle into a battle of attrition.

At first glance it's a pretty daunting prospect, but afaik it simply hasn't been done before. I definitely would like to play a game like that.

edit:

madmac posted:

Man, Naga dwelling really is the best dwelling. There isn't a single thing you can build there that isn't awesome. Putting together Naga raiding squads, all with swimming and fast regen and really tough in combat is so satisfying. Matrons might be my new favorite support unit too, at least once they hit gold and get Call Lightning. Naga are amazing.

Oh, and Gluttons are terrifying to fight sometimes. During the second Halfling Campaign I had one taunt my ~120 HP literally invincible Shadow Stalker and all I could think was, "Whelp, this is where we all die." It's a well designed Tier 4, has an obvious weakness (Slow and low defense, shoot it!) but can still trip you up with Taunt and Gas Breath and ordering a frontal attack against the thing feels exactly like you're just feeding it and making it stronger, because probably you are.

Good to hear Gluttons are in the campaign. Fighting endless waves of Gluttons and Black Knights with nothing but hordes of tier 1 shooters and a couple of druids was easily the most fun and memorable part of the Shadow Magic campaign for me.

a!n fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 24, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

It's not like the early game hinges on having any one specialization spell available.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

The only game I've played that made a good/evil alignment system work is Eador, but for many reasons their system would not mesh well with this game. Its map is divided into provinces and your armies can only move from province to province. At the start of every turn each province has a chance of generating a random event. This could range from a harvest festival to a plague or to a shaman opening the gates of hell. You then have a few choices of how to deal with these events. Your alignment (also called karma) matters in this because it determines whether or not these events will turn out to be beneficial or harmful. If you've been a good overlord a wizard might decide to conjure gold into the homes of the populace (which you of course tax them for), if you've been bad you might find out that your province is located just atop a huge subterranean nest of giant spiders. v:shobon:v

This ties in with an overall theme of evil actions generally being the easy way out while good actions require an additional investment. This means you can be the biggest dick as long as you're fine with your empire drowning in chaos or a just ruler bound only by his honor and the gold that rains from his skies. The best thing about it is that these events happen regardless of your alignment. It's only the extent to which they occur that is determined by karma.

Furthermore there are actions, buildings, units and spells tied to either side. Building or using one of these will result in a gain or loss of karma. If you plan to dabble in Necromancy chances are you will dip into the dark side eventually. There is also neutral factions that you may be able to befriend. Some, such as Goblins and Orcs, prefer you to be evil, while others, such as Faeries and Elves, only ally with good rulers.

a!n fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

madmac posted:

Humans are so good now it doesn't really matter. Halberds have Polearm+Overwhelm, Human Archers get Spirit Damage at Gold, Their Tier 2 Cav evolves, Knights got buffed, Human Shark Assassins are crazy, ect. Almost everything they have got buffed in the last patch.

Humans are great. Between starting units, evolve and empire quests it's possible to have a full stack of knights bulldozing through the map quite early in the game.

• Locked thread