Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo am I excited for this. The originals are right up there with MoM among my favorite games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
See! hexes! hexes are GOOD! Also hexes mean "NOT RTS!"

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

yeah this is what I was thinking of. It was a lot of fun.

Yeah Might and Magic really started the genre but the gameplay of the first Age of Wonders was very similar to the first or second Warlords game.

Age of Wonders sits at a midpoint between Heroes of Might and Magic, and Warlords if you are a fan of putting things on a line, in terms of gameplay. Really though, Age of Wonders has a lot more in common with Master of Magic(march 1995), which slightly pre-dated Heroes(October 1995). Heroes is of course a descendant the original King's Bounty(1991), and while that pre-dates MoM, it wasn't really the same type of game. The original Warlords is the oldest (1989)

Age of Wonders is the youngest, the first having been published in 1999.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 8, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

PiCroft posted:

I agree with this, I don't mind having a smaller selection of races if the units have some nice variety. As I understand, the Dark Elves and Wood Elves have joined forces, so the Elves and Dark Elves from the previous games are now 1 faction which should be interesting.

but I stand by what I said: I demand Lizards!

E: got units and races reversed

5 or 6 is plenty, especially if there is some distinction between them. Balance is nice too, but I usually stick to single player anyway so this is less of a concern for me (not that it isn't important)

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rascyc posted:

It just dawned on me that they are probably creating a new campaign for this expansion.

Oh right, the base game has a campaign in it. I think I tried it once before I started playing scenarios and random maps.

• Locked thread