Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
In and on as Randomania.

Edit: Someone asked for addons. Crossposting the Addon pack from the ED thread to be useful:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3hv6ove8rozymdr

slightlyrandom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

How are you guys doing on leveling?

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
Have gotten to the mid twenties, or thereabouts.

Haven't seen any other goons around, though, apart from Grizzly.

Server activity sparked up, hit 700 the other day, but I'm not sure if the interest will keep.

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
So the server is being moved to some more permanent hosting, away from the temp hosting they moved to after Microsoft caved and pulled the plug, after theRebirth won the cease-and-desist and lawsuit Blizzard brought against them.

Funds have apparently been raised to take care of this, and the move should be complete within a few days.

Welp, guess that means going WoW-less for a bit.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

slightlyrandom posted:

So the server is being moved to some more permanent hosting, away from the temp hosting they moved to after Microsoft caved and pulled the plug, after theRebirth won the cease-and-desist and lawsuit Blizzard brought against them.

Funds have apparently been raised to take care of this, and the move should be complete within a few days.

Welp, guess that means going WoW-less for a bit.

So its legal now to run a wow server in america?

They won the lawsuit?

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
I'm going off of hearsay here, so keep that in mind.

As far as I understand it, the suit failed because theRebirth does not accept donations, and has absolutely no income as a result of running the server.

I'd suggest looking up some real sources on this if you're really interested. Don't consider me one, in any event.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Can someone help me out? Why in the gently caress does it cost $41k for hardware to run a wow server, that hits like 700 people at peak?

freaky posted:

We need exactly $41,948.96 for hardware. Estimated $12,000.00 a year for bandwidth, $450.00 a year for insurance. The Rebirth isn't going to die, I wont let it. It's too important to me - but the more you donate, the faster it'll come online, cause we absolutly WON'T raise all that we need, we'll just raise all that I'm comfortable asking for. In total, it's going to cost roughly 66,000 to host The Rebirth for the next year.

Way i read it, he basically took rebirth down and is holding it at ransom till they raise $10k?

freaky posted:

If we can hit 10k in the next day or two, the servers will come online within hours (maybe 24 tops while we configure and spin them up).

Csixtyfour fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 11, 2014

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
This is amazing

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Csixtyfour posted:

Can someone help me out? Why in the gently caress does it cost $41k for hardware to run a wow server, that hits like 700 people at peak?

Way i read it, he basically took rebirth down and is holding it at ransom till they raise $10k?

They had hosting on Microsoft's cloud service. Blizzard threatened Microsoft, Microsoft took a neutral position and denied Rebirth hosting. Now Rebirth is trying to raise money to pay for their own hardware, data center costs, and hosting costs (not sure if they are still shooting for cloud hosting or not). I don't think he took Rebirth ransom at all, and if what he says is true he's forking a huge amount of his own money.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Rebirth supposedly won the law suit since they were "donation" free. Now he is asking for donations of $66k to run for a year?
I am no WoW private server genius, but from what I have googled and seen posted from hosting company's. Average to run a server capable of handling a 1000 people runs roughly a $1000 a month. Plus before all this went down, he posted somewhere that this was just moving hosting and should only be down 48 hours?

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Csixtyfour posted:

Rebirth supposedly won the law suit since they were "donation" free. Now he is asking for donations of $66k to run for a year?
I am no WoW private server genius, but from what I have googled and seen posted from hosting company's. Average to run a server capable of handling a 1000 people runs roughly a $1000 a month. Plus before all this went down, he posted somewhere that this was just moving hosting and should only be down 48 hours?

I think they won the lawsuit because they were a non-profit server. Anyone can donate, you or I to each other or to Rebirth and it doesn't count as profit.

They received support and temporarily opened the servers back up after the lawsuit happened and they went down. I really have no idea how legitimate this is/if server equipment really costs this much - they are trying to own their own equipment so they never have to do this again while provide good ping across the globe (cloud) so it may run fairly expensive.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I assume that the $66k figure is to pay off his legal fees. You don't squeak by a lawsuit instigated by a multi-billion dollar corporation without it costing a pretty penny.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

I think they won the lawsuit because they were a non-profit server. Anyone can donate, you or I to each other or to Rebirth and it doesn't count as profit.

They received support and temporarily opened the servers back up after the lawsuit happened and they went down. I really have no idea how legitimate this is/if server equipment really costs this much - they are trying to own their own equipment so they never have to do this again while provide good ping across the globe (cloud) so it may run fairly expensive.

This get more entertaining the more you dig. No one can come up with any real proof of a lawsuit, just a general 08 or 09 date. The random number generator on legal cost seems freaky claims is $100k. Im not making GBS threads on the guy, I played on rebirth and enjoyed it. This whole money thing seems very odd and shady as hell. I would just like to see proof other then some random posts made on redit and rebirth website.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Csixtyfour posted:

This get more entertaining the more you dig. No one can come up with any real proof of a lawsuit, just a general 08 or 09 date. The random number generator on legal cost seems freaky claims is $100k. Im not making GBS threads on the guy, I played on rebirth and enjoyed it. This whole money thing seems very odd and shady as hell. I would just like to see proof other then some random posts made on redit and rebirth website.

Yea, then there is this:

Yesterday:
"We fully expect to be up and running before the weekend."

Today:
"Hey Rebirthers, as I promised 12h ago I'd give you some update. I do not have any news other than you should NOT expect Rebirth being back up for the weekend. Sorry!"

ShockDawg 2L
Mar 4, 2011

I agree there's something rotten in denmark. It's been long enough that I'm starting to consider other servers too...

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

It sucks that the guy who has run this server out of pocket for almost 3 years is so unreliable and is obviously running a fly by night donation scam!

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

It sucks that the guy who has run this server out of pocket for almost 3 years is so unreliable and is obviously running a fly by night donation scam!

I get that, but everything that has been posted last week or so is so sketchy. If Blizzard is killing there cloud provider, I would assume Blizzard can do the same to the ISP that is providing the connection to the hardware they are buying? Why does Emerald Dream never come up in this conversation? What is ED doing that avoids all the litigation and supposed court orders to C&D the server? Does a server hosting maybe 700 connections at peak, really need $5500/month to operate? Using rebirth math, every wow private server is run by a very rich person.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

ED is hosted in the middle of a swamp in Algeria or something

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I know it is from the ED perspective, but the main Admin had a few things to say on a forum post over there about this topic.

http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/82161-well-played-ed-wp/

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

I know it is from the ED perspective, but the main Admin had a few things to say on a forum post over there about this topic.

http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/82161-well-played-ed-wp/

Interesting. I think this really showcases the bad and good of feenix in this forum post: admins are acting in a non-professional way towards competitors, borderline trash talking. Ok thats fine, and it also shows how active the community is with several players chiming in as well as admin response.

In any case I think rebirth is pulling a ruse on their whole population, I really cant believe how blindly people are accepting muggle's claims and pleas for :10bux:.

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
Here's the reddit thread where the Rebirth hosters and GM's appear to be communicating:
http://www.reddit.com/r/rebirthwow/comments/2a8yfa/the_rebirth_our_future_depends_on_you/

Apparently they need the money for:

Muggle posted:

@ Hasuko - Sure, we've currently got a quote for Dell PowerEdge R900 series servers. We need dual processors with at least 2 cores or 2 cores with HT enabled, and they must be xeon. We need 32gb of ram per box, and we need at least 8 hard drives, running in 4x4 raid 10. We quoted regular drives, but we'd prefer SSD's. - To go in the rack we've reserved we are required to have our own switching and redundant power supply options, as well as auto lan failover. We need Windows Server 2012 R2 DataCenter licenses and we need all this X4 to host the servers as we have been hosting them. With all the licenses we need, and hardware, each machine is about $9,000 USD

Because:

Muggle posted:

@BrewMan12oz - Nothing has gone to our heads. I know it's confusing, and as I've said before, this situation just sucks. Whats happened is that we've been shut down in two countries now by "hosts". We MUST host our own hardware now.

and:

Muggle posted:

I appreciate those that are commenting about the hardware specs, I myself am pretty good at hardware pricing and configuration, and have the benefit of knowing exactly what our soft requirements are with the game server engine and databases, and login servers, and backups running...etc.

I'm sure there's 100 variations of capable hardware out there, many of them cheaper than what has been quoted us.

We are buying, what we are buying, because it's sitting in the Datacenter rack right now, ready for us to own and turn on. If a solid option was waiting 30 to 90 days to configure cheaper new stuff and have it delivered, or bid and win, and ship used stuff, then you're correct.

Time is a critical factor for us, for lots of reasons though, mostly our recent growth.

This Muggle, posting on Reddit, quoting Freakyuno.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:frogsiren: The server just came back up. :) :frogsiren:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 22, 2014

ShockDawg 2L
Mar 4, 2011

Anyone got level 60 characters they will never use again? PM me

ShockDawg 2L fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 22, 2014

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I have an Alliance tanking warrior I'll never use again. Don't have PM's though. If you're actually interested it's cscoles@gmail.com

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I hopped on out of curiosity and there were 300 or so players on after midnight on a random weekday. Seems like the population, well, the non goon population, is pretty healthy.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
When I played vanilla wow I played as a Horde player and thought it would be cool to re-experience the game again from the alliance perspective. Is there a decent goon alliance playerbase?

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011
I don't think there's a healthy goon anything population.

I'm playing every now and then on Horde, for whatever that is worth.

Edit: Oh yeah, when the server went down we pestered the GMs into messing about a bit in the Gurubashi Arena.

This happened:
https://imgur.com/a/8kfbi#16

slightlyrandom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 25, 2014

namol
Mar 21, 2007
I can't remember my horde account info but I have 2 level 60s on the alliance side, Reiger is still in YOG.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

namol posted:

I can't remember my horde account info but I have 2 level 60s on the alliance side, Reiger is still in YOG.

Would you be willing to donate your account?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Still playing Horde side. Have a 29 druid named Microbrew I've mainly been leveling with my priest friend, and a 33 mage named Ji. Feel free to hit me up if you need a tank/healing/dps for instances or help killing Alliance.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

dominoeffect posted:

Would you be willing to donate your account?

which one? I'm more interested in playing again.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

namol posted:

which one? I'm more interested in playing again.

Oh no worries, if you do have an account you're not going to play again I was interested in playing again as well.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
well you could play the warrior, i like going afk while dpsing so the huntard is better for me.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

namol posted:

well you could play the warrior, i like going afk while dpsing so the huntard is better for me.

awesome, my email is enforcerjake81@gmail.com if you get a chance

JumbleJon
Sep 18, 2006

The happy fun time pirate of apartment 1F.
Hey guys,

A few of my friends and I are all getting back onto Rebirth. A few of them are in <Hate> on the horde side and probably haven't seen this thread. We all used to be in <GUILD> back in 2011 when the server first started and Molten Core was still relatively brand new (I think only the first 5 bosses were in?). If you want to play with us hit me up in game, my name is Jumble. Also, if any of you have accounts you won't use anymore I know a few people who would put your horde characters to good use joining the server! Hope to see you guys in game.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Oh hey, someone posted in this thread lemme just look and see who it i... Oh. Hi jon :D

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
Why do we wind up taking over every conversation about this server?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

cause

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
buy an avatar ffs, toilet lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namol
Mar 21, 2007
the goon guilds really need to come back to rebirth, the one I'm in now tries a tad too hard.

• Locked thread