Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

You also might as well just download the rom and emulator and use a USB controller on your computer. It's cheaper and basically the same thing. Wasn't it the retron where they just copied the most popular emulators into the console and not give payment or credit to the makers?

Also those emulators were properly licensed to not allow commercial exploitation, so it was not only rude but also illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The one thing that's separately useful about the RetroN is that it does allow you to copy saves off of cartridges, without hunting around for someone willing to sell you the things to do that over USB to a computer, which are hard to get these days.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's also Retron 3, which does NES/SNES/Genesis natively, plus has separate gamepad ports, which is a nifty idea.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

laserghost posted:

There's also Retron 3, which does NES/SNES/Genesis natively, plus has separate gamepad ports, which is a nifty idea.

That uses shoddy knockoff hardware like's been used for years. Many games don't work at all and many other games are hosed up, and the sound is usually really bad regardless. And it's not even the best knockoff hardware, either.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Also I paid less for my nes snes and genesis combined than a retron costs

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The RetroFreak is supposed to be pretty good if you have to have a combo-system, but the consoles aren't exactly the expensive part anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are any of those retro-consoles actually any good? The local game store has them and a poo poo ton of nes/snes games, and I keep eyeing them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are any of those retro-consoles actually any good? The local game store has them and a poo poo ton of nes/snes games, and I keep eyeing them.

Honestly no. At least not right now, there's some guy who knows his poo poo, KevTris, who's putting together something that will actually be more than "some Android emulators in a box with some cartridge slots". But there's no timeline on when he'll be finished with his system.

Either just buy the original systems, or do what most people do and run emulators on your computer, or maybe a phone or tablet with HDMI out and some bluetooth or USB controllers connected.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm surprised some kind of miniatureized combo console hasn't been made already. Hasn't Ben Heck been doing that kind of thing for years now?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's just cheaper and easier to make an emulation box.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

raditts posted:

I'm surprised some kind of miniatureized combo console hasn't been made already. Hasn't Ben Heck been doing that kind of thing for years now?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnoUDE3aY0o ?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

raditts posted:

They're impressive but his stuff is basically glorified case mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

raditts posted:

Ben Heck cuts up the real deal consoles, occasionally does some tricky work where the original board won't fit to rewire things, and puts it in a decent package. You could do that for a multiconsole, but that fucker would get huge quick and require a really complicated power supply.

The thing KevTris is working on involves developing cycle-accurate FPGA based replications of the consoles, which is possible but is going to take a long time. If he ever finishes, it'll be practically indistinguishable from the real deal, as well as much more compact than the third option can be.

And the third option would be to do what all the knockoff consoles have done for years, creating new hardware that replicates the old directly, and do it small scale enough to fit multiple consoles in a reasonable size. But this needs to be done to a much higher quality level than the various Chinese/etc companies looking to make a quick buck did it, so that'll take a long time unless you want a 2600 clone. It's more difficult then you might think to reduce all those old consoles and their custom chips to something small enough without breaking multiple games - the 2600 is only reliably done this way because that thing was mostly off the shelf parts, and the custom parts were really simple.

• Locked thread