Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The dev cycle for those 35000 games should be over soon, and the revolution can begin.

35,000 developers. They'll all working on one game. Rumour has it it's a sequel to Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Ouya spotted at PAX:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just love their slogan of "free the games" running alongside a funding campaign based entirely on locking games onto the OUYA platform.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Enallyniv posted:

I just love their slogan of "free the games" running alongside a funding campaign based entirely on locking games onto the OUYA platform.

When the OUYA goes down, the games will be free. Right on track for that.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
OUYA never dies.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is Depression Quest available on the OUYA

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Zeether posted:

Ouya spotted at PAX:

Well at least they know when to give up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'd only say that if they go to E3 but that also would mean they would have the money to do that and that E3 would let them in.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ayn rand hand job posted:

you could sideload in a web browser so sure

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Every game on the OUYA is a depression quest.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JazzFlight posted:

OUYA is a depression quest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It begins :letsplay:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...e-and-us-firms/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I love how between this thread and the last one, we've followed the entire lifespan of this horrible console.

This is how the Star Citizen thread will feel in 2024.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Extremely hyped development, disappointing launch, sold to an Asian corporation. Gone the way of APB and Hellgate London.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Yodzilla posted:

Extremely hyped development, disappointing launch, sold to an Asian corporation. Gone the way of APB and Hellgate London.

We'll see if anyone bites.

The reason that APB was able to be sold was that it's actually very easy to make money off of an MMO - it's just not easy to make enough money to recoup your startup costs (APB famously cost like $200 million to make). The company that bought it bought it for a song, so they can easily make their money back.

That's not the case for OUYA - the development of the console was largely funded through kickstarter, but they were dependent on a successful storefront to make money. If you buy it from them, you're still not going to make enough money off the store to justify software maintenance.

This was always the weakness in their model - all they have to offer a buyer is ~20,000 or less active users, who likely pay almost nothing per month, and a game library that is rapidly losing momentum. They also have an established brand, but that brand is irrecoverably thought of as a joke, so that's worthless. I can't imagine what would be gained by anyone purchasing OUYA as a company.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

They also have an established brand, but that brand is irrecoverably thought of as a joke, so that's worthless. I can't imagine what would be gained by anyone purchasing OUYA as a company.

The brand is a joke in this thread but still holds some value. Also a Chinese company could easily overvalue the brand. Even if not, OUYA (Under New Management) wouldn't be bad to include in some TVs.

Samsung started shipping Android in their TVs a little while ago and Android TV is taking a while to pick up (and reliant on the Google Play services that don't work in the China). In short it could make sense to pick up OUYA for the brand, rework most everything and put it in TVs for a chinese company. Of course you wouldn't want to pay much, but saying the OUYA brand is a joke I don't believe to be accurate.

It failed so hard and quietly that most people just remember as a thing that sounded cool, but are unsure what happened?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Stick100 posted:

The brand is a joke in this thread but still holds some value. Also a Chinese company could easily overvalue the brand. Even if not, OUYA (Under New Management) wouldn't be bad to include in some TVs.

Samsung started shipping Android in their TVs a little while ago and Android TV is taking a while to pick up (and reliant on the Google Play services that don't work in the China). In short it could make sense to pick up OUYA for the brand, rework most everything and put it in TVs for a chinese company. Of course you wouldn't want to pay much, but saying the OUYA brand is a joke I don't believe to be accurate.

It failed so hard and quietly that most people just remember as a thing that sounded cool, but are unsure what happened?

Fair enough, I guess they could basically pull an Atari.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's an acquihire.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Fair enough, I guess they could basically pull an Atari.

Although now that you said that getting the name Atari and bundling the old controller and games + letting people use any PS3+4+Bluetooth controller and access to real games would be freaking amazing for a TV manufacturer.

Hey we know you're going to spend $1200 on a TV but ours has Dig Dug and Combat com'on + (maybe some other new stuff but whatever).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maybe if you're some kind of sorcerer who can time travel back to 20 years ago.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm actually kinda sad, right now. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The middle aged lady manning the PAX booth gave me a dirty look when I sneered at the banner while walking by yesterday. No words were needed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That Xiaomi company would love to be able to embed 100 in 1 roms into its TVs and other pirated crap. OUYA is perfect for that. They won't be selling them in the west.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Midjack posted:

The middle aged lady manning the PAX booth gave me a dirty look when I sneered at the banner while walking by yesterday. No words were needed.
was this the woman

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

was this the woman

Nope, didn't see Ur-man there. It was some stocky blonde lady.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Will the new Chinese owners honor the kickstarter backer units that people still haven't received?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Great, now let me know when Target finally puts theirs on clearance so I can pick it up for :20bux: or so.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

JazzFlight posted:

was this the woman

If you stare at this photo for long enough it looks like her head is stretching up to the ceiling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

circ dick soleil posted:

If you stare at this photo for long enough it looks like her head is stretching up to the ceiling.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

circ dick soleil posted:

Also the office she's standing in front of looks like an empty, dystopian hellscape.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How long until she gets a new, better job somewhere else for all her fine work building this brand?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Can we take a moment to appreciate the subhead in this Eurogamer article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-03-is-ouya-looking-for-a-buyer

quote:

Is Ouya looking for a buyer?
For the whole company, not just the console

JazzFlight posted:

was this the woman

Her proportions are all wrong. She looks like a clunky fake someone knocked up in Photoshop in 5 mins, but who would bother?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate the subhead in this Eurogamer article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-03-is-ouya-looking-for-a-buyer

Her proportions are all wrong. She looks like a clunky fake someone knocked up in Photoshop in 5 mins, but who would bother?

Broad looks like Gul Dukat.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Willeh posted:

Also the office she's standing in front of looks like an empty, dystopian hellscape.
Oh wow, I didn't even look at that. Why are there two monitors and a laptop in the broom closet?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That is the beating heart of the Ouya empire. Right there is where they mocked up those shipping charts and made that awesome advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

codenameFANGIO posted:

Broad looks like Gul Dukat.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Does somebody want to make a recap of everything? From the "feet literally on the ground" to the root button to the MS Paint charts, there was a lot of hilarity there once. It all died, though...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

/r/Ouya is keeping the faith.

Chin up guys, Ouya 2 will happen if you believe in it hard enough.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does somebody want to make a recap of everything? From the "feet literally on the ground" to the root button to the MS Paint charts, there was a lot of hilarity there once. It all died, though...

I do want to do this. I started on it a while back so if I find the time I'll try to finish it off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has Julie said anything about selling the company yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Suspicious Dish posted:

There is a solid documentary to be made here... in a few years when people (specifically people associated with the thing) are able to look back with less clouded perspectives.

• Locked thread