Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think you guys should lay of poor ol' Pants. The guy has made his amends and all that is left is a smouldering crater.

ØUYÅ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

xpants i just started watching steven universe with the niece. it's p good

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Ghostlight posted:

OUYA is dead. Long live OUYA-killer FUZE.

http://www.fuzegame.tv/e/product.php

What ever happened with that Game Stick thing? Did OUYA beat it?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

triplexpac posted:

What ever happened with that Game Stick thing? Did OUYA beat it?

It went on clearance way faster than Ouya. I think you can get one for $20 or lower now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

randombattle posted:

The question is why though. None of these consoles have ever been successful and the playing phone games on a tv is never going to be good. None of these android boxes will ever do anything beyond that because someone could just develop for a box that actually has resources behind it.

Android TV is actually not bad, for what few games are actually out for it. (Or at least, what few games show up on the ATV play store; they do an absolute poo poo job of discoverability on that thing.) The ones that are made with controller support can also be played with a controller on a phone / tablet, and the games that have cloud saving allow you to switch from one to the other. There's a lot of potential there but Google seems hellbent on having as few people as possible know it exists for some reason.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Name one good Android game that isn't Monument Valley or a dumb puzzle game that would have been on a flash gaming website in the 00s.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PoshAlligator posted:

Name one good Android game that isn't Monument Valley or a dumb puzzle game that would have been on a flash gaming website in the 00s.

There are plenty of good Android games but you have to be really dumb to want to play them on TV. And all the android games that play better with a controller are usually also available on PC.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

PoshAlligator posted:

Please do, I've actually been looking for games to play on my train ride to the office.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Danmaku death

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Super Stickman Golf 2

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

PoshAlligator posted:

I want to say Jackbox but that's sort of cheating since you can get it on a lot of platforms besides an Amazon Fire TV

The Chromecast has potential for more of those kind of games but nobody I know cares because they would rather play Drawful or Quiplash

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Lone Wolf books are already free on PC but the interface sucks there. They ported it to Android and made it work. It's a bunch of old rear end choose your own adventure books with RPG stats and they own. Still free and it's perfect for mobiles. You kill skellingtons, gerblins and wield the Sommerswerd.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
80 Days owns. Shadowrun is good, but shallow and too small for a phone screen.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Out There is pretty great.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Hitman Go. Lara Croft Go will probably be good too.

I guess that fails the puzzle/flash game test though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

King of Dragon Pass. :unsmigghh:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Alphabear's pretty good if you like word games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PoshAlligator posted:

Does Not Commute is my jam, plays well both on a phone and on a TV with a controller.

Mage Gauntlet is pretty good, kind of a discount Secret of Mana, but it's not adapted for TV or controllers although it would play much better that way.

Ironically (but maybe not surprisingly), the Secret of Mana port that is adapted for controllers / Android TV is utter trash though, and the rom played through SuperGNES both looks and plays better.

If you like Dragon Quest games, DQ 1-6 and 8 actually are suprisingly good ports though. 1-3 I think were made for mobile, 4-6 are ports of the DS versions. Only drawback there is that the games are locked into portrait view.

Cardinal Quest is a pretty good roguelike.

Metal Slug Defense is good but has annoying free-to-play bullshit so your enjoyment of that depends on your tolerance for that kind of thing.

The ports of the Ducktales / Castle of Illusion remakes are pretty much identical to other platforms and have gone on sale for a dollar more than a few times.

CrashCat posted:

I want to say Jackbox but that's sort of cheating since you can get it on a lot of platforms besides an Amazon Fire TV

The Chromecast has potential for more of those kind of games but nobody I know cares because they would rather play Drawful or Quiplash

You can't get Jackbox on Chromecast, but there's an Android TV version so you can get it on the Nexus Player, which does everything a Chromecast can and only costs like $30 more than a Chromecast. So there's that I guess. The only tradeoff being that you have to plug it into an external power source, of course.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 13, 2015

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

kemikalkadet posted:

Alphabear's pretty good if you like word games.

Alphabear is great just for the opportunity to make a cute, little bear yell obscenities!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

raditts posted:

Mage Gauntlet is pretty good, kind of a discount Secret of Mana, but it's not adapted for TV or controllers although it would play much better that way.

The dev's next game "Wayward Souls" has controller support and is a fun game too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My favorite moment was discovering that the Ouya office was behind a gas station in a lovely stripmall.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wonder if they'll have a memorial in the E3 parking lot next year.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

They had one at PAX East. A truck was just blocking anybody from seeing it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the kingdom rush games are ok tower defense games

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

No. 6 posted:

My favorite moment was discovering that the Ouya office was behind a gas station in a lovely stripmall.

There are many things I'd fault the Ouya for but not splashing out on fancy real estate as a start up is not one of them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
OUYA was the past, meet the future: OUYE

http://z.jd.com/project/details/20791.html

(it's a crowdfunding project)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurtofan posted:

I think I'll sit this out and wait for the OUYI.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kurtofan posted:

So it's half PS4/half Bone with a Bone controller?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So it's half PS4/half Bone with a Bone controller?
Microsoft spent one hundred million dollars on the Bone controller. It's the only thing that can replace the Strad.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's pretty dumb, they could've made four OUYAs for that and saved gaming four times over.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kurtofan posted:

"Play Out Your Attitude" is a p silly tag line

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

PoshAlligator posted:

What about

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

He said good. And game.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Neverending nighttime was good sorry

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

quote:

We will surely be taking care of our founding backers through low cost exclusives, stretch goal credit's toward future game purchases and even kicking around the possibility of issuing all backers a lifetime 5-10% discount on games. All consoles and carts purchased through Kickstarter will be exclusive in some way adding future value to these sold on KS vs. post KS retail units.

You can't compare RVGS to OUYA. If you do you just aren't getting it. Look where OUYA has ended. It was an Android to TV console, a model others have tried and it doesn't work because there aren't many gamers who want to play cheap mobile games on their big screen TV's. That is also compounded with a less than stellar network interface which essentially bricked my OUYA and others that I know. Their controller didn't function mechanically and was bogged down with lag. RVGS is going in the complete opposite direction of an Android device, and for the better!

RVGS is a modern day console to play new retro style console style games on your TV. It's purpose it not to play $.99 and Free to play mobile games on your TV. And they sold 70K units so for us to expect to sell 7,000+ is reasonable. Only time will tell and it will be exciting to watch whether you like what we are doing or not.

- Mike

(they want to sell this Retro system for $300.)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
"We're not doing anything remotely similar so it's safe to extrapolate our sales from this thing that is as stated not even close to what we're doing" Although at that point they may well be banking on a base level of nerd stupidity.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The retro guy was gushing about his ouya nonstop when it came out too, how odd that all of a sudden that's the first negative thing he's said about it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Pretty sure devs will flock to a new platform, with game media being obsolete and expensive to manufacture, catering only to game collector's market. I know that's exactly what NG.Dev guys do with their expensive as balls Neo-Geo releases, but that platform is already established as a prime target for collectors with way too much money, and games have limited runs too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1953508775/wood-kubb-the-wooden-miniature-french-computer

Who even needs airflow these days? Ignoring thermal needs worked so well for the OUYA.

A many times more powerful than the ouya, thick walled wooden boxed computer that is passively cooled. What could go right?

A working steel cased version apparently already exists, but I just cant imagine the wood one being able to shed any heat.

Showing it being used for video editing seems like wishful thinking.

Anyone more knowledgeable care to weigh in?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

Anyone more knowledgeable care to weigh in?

It's a French computer, what else so you need to know?

• Locked thread