Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft must be kicking themselves for not coming up with the idea for yearly consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

I think the sony controll sucks, also. Touchpad and built in share button! Why doesn't the lolo have a built in share button?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Let's have a chat about Free To Play.

Scanning the OUYA dev forums, there is still not official documentation on what constitutes "Free To Play" as OUYA has guaranteed it, what's allowed, or what the approval process for this type of thing is (there are EXAMPLES, but not RULES). As they're just desperate to get things up on the store (can anyone see the storefront and let me know how many apps are actually on it right now?), there's currently very little information as to how the curation works.

This, by the way, is not even a little bit acceptable for something that comes out in less than 4 weeks. This system needed to be completely in place for 2 months. They're obviously hoping to squeek by and get the software done just under the wire (a thing you cannot and should not ever do).

Change of topic, here's a person who has rented a booth at GDC to show off their OUYA game:
http://www.yummycircus.com/

My understanding that everything on the ouya app store will be free to download. Everything is sold in game. Then the creators have you purchase whatever. It could be dlc, hats, whatever. Someone could make the apps store download just the title screen, and then the customer has to buy an unlock item to play the game.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

Ouch :( Welp, there's not much you can do if he is that convinced. At least tell him to buy it from someplace where it can be returned if he doesn't like it. Or at least try and convince him to wait until after March to see what the verdict is.

Do you have to submit a demo version as well and images that you want to use to represent your game in the store? Or just the game itself? Because I cannot believe this is so close to release with so little on the storefront. (Alright, maybe I can with the FUCHSIA)

Everything on the ouya store is free. All purchases are IAP.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

luncheon meat posted:

Should we have some kind of bet on which date they'll announce a launch delay? 17 days out and they couldn't even show us a final product. The OS is still being made. Forget games. They haven't even finished the loving OS.

They are just going to throw some paint on the dev version.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Halo is video game. Ouya will have video game. Therefore, Ouya will have Halo like video game.

illiniguy01 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 14, 2013

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So is there any information about games that will actually be on the console within the next few months? Have any devs with real working games discussed how they monetized their games for the ouya? I'm interested in how the (trying to) making money part works for ouya games.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Will the be an Ouya Mobile console so that I can play my Ouya Mobile games on the tv?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Works fine here. I'll just post the funny part.

Ouya's big hit game is one that is free to play on a web browser and free to side load on the Ouya!

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So the people who have never made a game before are not finishing up their AAAA+ exclusive titles for the ouya? they probably just need to put a little more polish on them.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

If go into a bathroom, turn out all the lights, and say the ayuo's real name 3 times into a mirror, Uhrman's SXSW interview will start playing in the mirror and the doors will lock forcing you to watch the whole thing.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

If people agreeded to one version then clearly they agree to any changes that are made to it. No need to get them to agree to future versions.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Well to be sure you're in the clear with them, you need to rip the ROM yourself. And it's probable that none of you actually have the necessary equipment for that so yeah it's not exactly clearcut legal the way playing public domain/officially rights released roms are.

Let's be honest people want emulators to play their illegally downloaded roms. That's why people want emulators on the ouya, not for freeware.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Stalagfight is now a good game? I'm pretty sure it is a demo made in a few days and isn't even a good browser game.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So is native app mean that it is on there and can't be deleted?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

How long do the batteries last in that controller. I plan to spend at least 100 hours in stagaflight so I need to know how many batteries to get.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

will also include computer games such as diablo and bring the to the t.v. as well and I know I'm not the only person expecting that.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I still don't understand why higher prices are good. Do you think that if the prices are higher, the big boys will think Ouya is cool?

He doesnt want the Ouya to end up like mobile game markets where everything has to be 0.99 or f2p.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Dex posted:

Except he's the one who pointed out that Square charge that much on mobile markets anyway.

He is bad at making points but I'm pretty sure that was his point.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sankis posted:

you can't pretend that the big three wouldn't do this. germany (Ouya) is conquering most of europe (videogames) and the allies (big three) doing everything they can prevent ouya from getting bigger without outright declaring war

its a fight no one wants

OUYA: It's like Nazi Germany

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

You can't review the Ouya till it release date in June... 2014

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So if they are barely going to get these shipped over the next 2 months, how are they going to get out all the "retail" version out for the "real" launch?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Sorry, I was just trying to decide whether you thought that OUYA intentionally sent out review units to press, or whether you were just talking about the units that press were receiving via the Kickstarter.

Obviously you're completely right that they should have said "DON'T REVIEW THIS", etc... I just didn't even mention that because even if they had said that, it was too late anyway. In other words, it's not as if they could have just put a "not finished" sticker on the box and that would have made everything alright.

If they didn't want people to consider this the final release, what they should have done - at the very minimum - is start saying, very clearly, that the Kickstarter units were going to ship with unfinished beta software as soon as they realized it. (even better, they would have said it during the Kickstarter, before people made their purchases. or you could say that they just should have set the estimated date to "June" instead of "march", but that's kind of another discussion entirely ;))

It was only decided this was the pre-release after the ouya people failed to put out a working product for the release stated in the kickstarter.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Ask him how much he's paid an hour for "writing about the OUYA" here and elsewere and you'll get a better idea of the motivation behind this level of dedication.

I'm guessing like $0.10 per post.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

No way are they going to be able to get these things to stores by the for reals this time launch date.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

open container posted:

I hope Lowtax's game gets an OUYA port!

Ouya 2.0 launch exclusive.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

What I don't get about Visorman is that the game is in first person and all the enemies are 'generic soldiers', so not only is Visorman's actual visor never visible, but the visuals are all generic fps poo poo. And you can map the controls to twin stick if you want. So how is Visorman shaking anything up, at all?

Visorman is taking on generic modern fps games by being a retro ironically generic fps shooter. Yes, I believe the creator does in fact state that the game is so generic to be "ironic".

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

XboxPants posted:

The developers that release games on OUYA are typically either PC developers or developers with a wider Android experience, but not necessarily any specific OUYA experience. Does that make sense?

(note that if you read that what I just said and thought I was saying that's a positive thing, your reading is broken)
80% 90% A Lot. of OUYA developers have never made a video game before!

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So everyone starts doing chargebacks against amazon. Amazon dumps kickstarter because of all the chargebacks. Ouya successfully kills kickstarter.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Xboxpants, are you employed by or do you receive money in any way from the people making the OUYA video game console?

edit: same for Aweful Dreams

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware - Gamestick was supposed to be shipping now but got pushed back two months. They announced the delay on the 7th... like, of the month they were supposed to be shipping.

They should have just shipped one(maybe to themselves) and claimed they are totally shipping on time. What could go wrong?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

If the webstore is correct you can see how many likes games are getting. It doesnt look like any have over 50. There is no way 1000's of people have their ouya.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Madcosby posted:

Wow, I've been totally misguided in what I thought XBMC was. I thought it stood for "X-Box Media Center" and it was what connected the Xbox to digital media stores.

This software is perfect for my TV, which is hooked up to my PC, what's known as a pre-ouya setup.Does it have access to digital stores/rentals or is it just access to the files I already have on my computer?

I think it started for the xbox then got expanded.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So at this point we know the retail launch is BS right? There will be no units on store shelves. At best it will be like the GAME photo, a box and you can put one on order for $5. Other than that there won't be anything.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

So, since I last looked, FF3 has gone from 40 likes to 80 likes. The second most liked game has less then 60 likes. Clearly a lot of people are playing games on the ouya. A lot.

Also it's funny that ouya can never give a real answer. Someone asks if the deadzone issue is fixed and the reply is that the "controller issue" has been fixed (a lot) in upcoming consoles.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Argas posted:

I'm just imagining the person who has a computer who can't move it into the living room for whatever reason and has waited through the last console generation for whatever reason and will now get the Ouya because it's a bargain ($99!) and has great games (Minecraft!) and is also a console! They will say "Finally, after being forced to game at the desk for so many years, I can finally play games in the living room and I can call myself a real gamer, not the kind who hunches over the desk."

Or the person who did buy a console the last generation because they don't know their way around computers and are scared of breaking them, but will look at the next generation and shake their heads, then move to the Ouya because it offers them what they want. Everyone loved Journey right? Well, the co-founder of the studio that made Journey is now at Ouya, heading developer relations. I'm sure the expertise and talent she lent to crafting Journey and those other games will also make better games for the Ouya!

Or wait, no. Ouya is for the mainstream! I forgot about that. People who love Angry Birds will love the Ouya, which will not be the Angry Birds platform because it's only got a lovely touchpad, not a touchscreen, but they'll love it anyway because it runs on the same OS as phones do, and those phones have Angry Birds, but not Ouya because it's transcended Angry Birds with games like Visorman.

Yeah, but just think if the Ouya got angry birds. Everyone would buy it because you just can't play angry birds on current consoles.
http://www.ign.com/games/angry-birds/xbox-360-88826

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

How much have you spent making the game? How many games do you have to sell to make your money back?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Dreamzle posted:

I'd put the development budget at around $20,000. I'd need to sell around 6000 copies to break even.

Ouch

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

zylche posted:

I think your issue is :filez:, alternatively android isn't liking the filesystem and not mounting it.

Everytime you put a rom on the ALLCAPS, Julie sends money to the developer of the game. I heard it on the internet so it must be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

dotalchemy posted:

Well, it's a standard FAT32 formatted USB key. I can't think of another way of getting the files to the OUSHA and USB drive seemed to be the generically suggested method when hunting around google.

It's only a preview console, you can't expect it to work right.

• Locked thread