Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SixtySix posted:

heh, I'll just root my OUYA and upgrade it for free! Your move, Urhman

Does the OUYA still have that "Root" button for easy rooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AxeManiac posted:

Amazon claims "OUYA is about the size of a Rubik's cube, but it plays hard in full-screen HD".

When it says it "plays hard", does that mean it has a hard time playing video games?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It's actually great bait to get the nerds who think they are hackers because they like computers and they are Very Smart(tm).

Then, to hack, they look up a guide online and follow the steps exactly.

Step 1: Press the "ROOT" button (sold separately)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Hey, everyone in the world: Buy our thing and you can play stolen games on it! Shh, don't tell Nintendo!

OUVALTINE game developers know the console's audience: hackers and pirates (teenagers with Google)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"There are people working effortlessly to get games up [on the OUYA]".

"Effortlessly" eh? Sounds about right.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The piece of poo poo falls apart in transit.

"Some assembly required."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

limaCAT posted:

"Batteries not included."

Imagine future* OYAJI SKUs including a rechargeable battery (that is as well built as the controller (there's a drat hole burned through the box))!

* haha future

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

While not an Android device, this could be done piss easily with a PSP. Plus, owning a PSP would still give you all that warm fuzzy buyer's remorse you would've gotten from the OUYA.

Now hold on, that's not a fair comparison at all.

At least he PSP has at least one game people would probably want to play, also it doesn't come out of the box in pieces.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, if we want to be FAIR then we should consider the state of the PSP at its own launch.

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct. Let me correct my stance on this issue, ahem.

At least the PSP didn't come out of the box in pieces. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Louisgod posted:

You can call the OUVA whatever you want in this thread and people that complain about it will not be tolerated. If you don't like it then go to ouyaboards.com where not only will you find people spelling the system's name properly, but living, breathing individuals that are actually genuinely excited to pay $8 to $10 for poorly coded space collect-a-thons with wrapping text issues.

I know it's not your favorite genre, but the Poorly Coded Space Collect-A-Thon With Wrapping Text Issues genre is sorely underrepresented on the BIG THREE, and some of use enjoy those kind of games. $10 seems like a lot, but the alternative is to buy and play a real video game.

What I care more about in regards to the OVAL is whether or not there will be a used market for it in the (very near) future. As somebody who likes hoarding collecting old, obsolete video game hardware and software, I have a sort of weakness for buying some otherwise obscure crap. I mean, I have a 3DO, and even if it is a failure of a console, it actually has a couple of video games that aren't garbage (most of which was eventually ported to the Saturn/PSX anyway). I don't see the same thing happening with the OWAH.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

THIS IS WHAT INDIE DEVS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

That reminds me, whatever happened to that one guy who created a Kickstarter for his dream MMO, and it turned out he won the lottery but didn't want to invest much of his own money into the project I believe? Maybe he can get it on the OUYA!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't know, we could still hold out hope of house fires. But yes, the OUYA shouldn't cause any psychical injury/pain quite like the migraines induced by the Virtual Boy.

Woah now, don't jump the gun there. There's plenty of time for a migraine warning caused by OUYA usage.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah but Wario Land is still cool

Wario Land justifies the existence of the Virtual Boy. Maybe someday the OUYA can get that one good game? (ahahahaha)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 10, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Mr. Pumroy posted:

At that point you're pretty much naming the entire Virtual Boy library.

So there you have it, Virtual Boy: the best library of video games, ever.

Its good-to-poo poo ratio is definitely better than the OUYA's, that's for sure!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Requested_Username posted:

I'm sorry, but last I checked they didn't have online multiplayer for consoles in 1994

Somebody has never heard of the XBAND!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Color Printer posted:

It's also possible they took it off because, you know, someone realized you probably shouldn't advertise the fact that you can play emulated Nintendo games on it. I mean seriously, who thought that was a great thing to tweet :psyduck:

I looked at the website's list of 176 games for the console, and right at the top is loving "2600.emu". And there's ten emulators listed. Why would they advertise this so blatantly? :psypop:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Because they don't have anything good themselves. You'd rather your users focus on emulators rather than say, Barley Break, Giana Sisters, or SoUA.

I meant why would these guys advertise a means to play pirated games on their console? Unless it's totally cool and nobody is going to sue the revolution or whatever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gortarius posted:

So emulation is a really profitable business venture I take it?

Games are already all made 100% and they are known to some extent and may even have existing fanbases.

What could go wrong?

Emulators are completely legitimate. People backup their video games all the time, and if they don't actually own the games, they have 24-hours to remove the game from their OUYA or else nothing happens.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Byde posted:

Is this sarcasm? Isn't this proven completely false many times before? If it was true, than that would've been exploited to hell and back, I may say.

It was a joke about old ROM sites that used to put that "delete after 24 hours if you don't own the game" disclaimer that had as much merit as the "if you are a US government official don't come in here" disclaimer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

Jesus loving christ. This was a commercial made in 2013.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons about the internet startup company that made those online cartoons and then they hired Bart because of his comic about Homer?

I like to imagine that company made that advertisement.

And the OUYA.

• Locked thread