Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

MadDogMike posted:

Well Brainamp, you said you've picked already but PLEASE tell me you picked Commando. Sure, Vanguard is a decent tank and all, but given the difference in weapons used I have no idea why anybody goes with it over the Commando's option (giant gently caress-off-and-DIE assault cannons forever!). Smuggler at least has cool options either way (though I've been less than fond of healing with one myself), and at least one of the Jedi I hope will take their tank spec.

I will probably let goons vote on it again, even if I proved democracy does not work. (Why did I let goons vote on how much sex I was going to have in game? :smithicide:) Personally I would be quite happy playing either of the Jedi Knight advanced classes when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gothsheep posted:

I'm finding the text in the screenshots pretty hard to read. It may just be me and my old-man eyes, but the text seems pretty small and a little fuzzy.

No, you're right, the text is pretty hard to read. I'm actually going to making it worse in my next update or two, since I've been fiddling with the resolution (you'll notice several of my first screenshots were in different resolutions than each other) and the next set was all taken in widescreen, which means they need to be shrunk further to avoid breaking tables.

Best I can think to do is just start transcribing the text from those pages as well into the written dialogue, so if you can't read it there it doesn't matter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

No, you're right, the text is pretty hard to read. I'm actually going to making it worse in my next update or two, since I've been fiddling with the resolution (you'll notice several of my first screenshots were in different resolutions than each other) and the next set was all taken in widescreen, which means they need to be shrunk further to avoid breaking tables.

Best I can think to do is just start transcribing the text from those pages as well into the written dialogue, so if you can't read it there it doesn't matter.

Please do this, I've been finding the text hard to read as well and I don't even have old man eyes. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

Pretty much the same case here. I should also be getting a new monitor soon that'll allow for better resolution shots.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tython Episode 1: The White man's Blue Woman's Burden

So here we have our usual opening crawl, You know the one that is required by law to be in every Star Wars movie or game. Start humming the theme if it makes you feel better.

SWTOR Opening Credits posted:

Prologue:
THE JEDI KNIGHT

It is a dark era for the JEDI ORDER. The Sith Empire obliterated the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and slaughtered many of the Republic's brave defenders during the last war.

The surviving Jedi have withdrawn to their ancient homeworld of TYTHON, where they take advantage of a fragile peace to train a new generation of guardians for the Galaxy.

Now a new hope emerges. A young Padawan strong in the Force Journeys to Tython's dangerous wilderness to complete the final Jedi trials and become a knight of the republic....

Yeah this is Tython where we will be spending most of our early levels. Personally I consider Tython the weakest and blandest of all the starting planets in this game but I will let you guys decide for yourself on that.

: All right you maggots! as this is a half assed military organisation. I will expect you to stand to attention in a half assed way!

Welcome to Tython, Population: 3 interesting characters, thousands of Jedi.

And here we are In case you forgot what a real Jedi looks like.

Here's our new boss who will be giving us our final training as a Padawan. Jedi Knight Derin Weller.

: Welcome to Tython, Padawan. Everyone at the temple is looking forward to meeting you. Your former masters praise your combat skills. They say you have become an excellent duellist.

: I have never fought anyone I couldn't beat. Including my masters

: Impressive claim. If you're seeking fresh challenges, You'll find them. The Jedi Council will assign you a new master to oversee your final trials. You'll be tested in ways you can't imagine. But when you leave Tython, You'll know what it means to be a Jedi Knight. More importantly you'll know yourself.

: I didn't come here to meditate and learn boring lessons.

: These final trials will test you to your limits. Boredom is the least of your worries. There is a speeder here that will take you--hang on. Getting an emergency signal.

: ...under attack, repeat under attack! Flesh Raiders are invading the Padawan training grounds! They have Blasters! Send Help!

: Did that guy just use a whole months supply of exclamation points?

: Flesh raiders armed with blasters? He must be mistaken.

: What are these things, animals?

: Flesh raiders are a species of hostile natives. They're smart enough to use tools and violent beyond reason. I'm sending every available Jedi down to the Padawan training grounds right away--especially you.

: "especially" me? why is that?

: You've been trained for dangers like this. I know I can count on you. Take the speeder outside to the training grounds. Push back the Flesh raiders and find if they're really using advanced weapons.
Go. I'll catch up after I alert the Jedi Council. May the Force be with you.

So the indigenous population are a bunch of cannibal murderers who have risen up against the Jedi and are now armed with blasters and other modern weapons. So like the good little colonialist that we are, we must pull on our jackboots and get slaughtering the natives that are occupying our ancestral lands.

So I fly down to the proving grounds in my space taxi. Passing by these lovely statues of Women? Men? on the way to the proving grounds.

On arrival I meet a Jedi looking for help. AKA our first quest giver

: Padawan, Come here quickly. The training grounds are not safe today.

: I am here to push back those Flesh Raiders, and I don't need you slowing me down.

: If you're going out there I'll make it short and sweet. Your fellow Padawans are going to need your help. The Flesh Raiders moved into the training grounds organized and ready, attempting to isolate various groups of Padawans. There's a group of students in the hills we lost track of. They're not combat trained.

: Just let me know whats required I am here to help.

: I've got a beacon here. If you can find the Padawans and set the beacon, we'll send an evac shuttle as fast as we can.
A group of Jedi from the temple is heading that way but maybe not fast enough. May the Force be with you.

So that's two quests we have now, We need to kill 10 flesh raiders and find a missing group of Jedi trainees.

Here are the flesh raiders and a quick look at Tython. Tython is a painfully generic green rolling hills flowers and trees sort of planet. While we are there the flesh raiders are going to be our main enemies and well just look at them, they are UGLY! they look like someone has left a plasticine model of a man out in the sun to melt. Get used to them because they are the primary enemy we will see this planet.

We also get a Codex entry.

SWTOR Codex posted:

THE GNARLS

"The Gnarls" is the name given to the wilds near the outposts and landing pads beneath Masters' Retreat. It was nicknamed for the thick undergrowth that originally took several months to clear. The original explorers of Tython discovered and restored ruined stone paths and bridges leading through the Gnarls, suggesting that these wilds were once used by the ancient Jedi.

Although still a proving ground for Jedi Padawan's, in recent years the Gnarls has become increasingly dangerous, Wild animals have begun migrating closer to the outpost, and there have been sightings of Tython's native Flesh Raiders within neighboring sectors. The Jedi Council is in discussions about moving the training grounds to a safer region, but many Masters feel that risk is necessary at a certain level of tutelage; the galaxy is dangerous, and Jedi cannot be shielded forever if they're to be prepared.

Here we come across something new here, flashing blue objects can be interacted with as part of a quest or conversation.

Flesh Raider Cage: [a dead Padawan lies in the cage, succumbed to his wounds. The Flesh Raiders have apparently been trying to catch some of the Padawans alive!]
[There might be other Flesh Raider cages in the area]

So this gives us another quest, this time to break some captured students out of the flesh raiders cages. We also get our first bonus quest, If we kill at least fifteen flesh raiders before we turn in this quest as a success we earn a large chunk of XP and sometimes a bonus item.

So off I go killing flesh raiders and opening cages as I come across them.

Killing off these flesh raiders (and a few more off screen) finishes our starting quest and we get a holo-call.

: Your unharmed--good. Flesh Raider shot me in the leg while rescuing some Padawans. Don't know where those things got blasters, but they know how to use them. I've been evacuated to a med centre but the fighting isn't over.

: of all the Jedi in the galaxy why do I get the incompetent one?

: I was expecting reinforcements by now.

: Some are already here, but Flesh Raiders keep pouring in. That's why I am calling. Another Padawan found a cave tunnel that the Flesh Raiders are using to infiltrate this valley. I need you at that tunnel, to make sure the Flesh Raiders don't get any more reinforcements through it

: Apparently, I am the only competent warrior on the whole planet.

: Arrogance is unbecoming of a Jedi--as are petty insults.We need to end this conflict before anyone gets hurt. Find the tunnel along the mountain range.. May the Force be with you.

So now we have a new quest this time we have to save the day by first locating a tunnel full of Flesh Raiders and then blocking it somehow to prevent any more Flesh Raiders breaking into the tunnel. But before we do that sidequests!

Roaming the hills on the way to the cave I come across the missing band of Padawan's.

: How's he looking?

: He should be resting in the Jedi Temple. But if you're determined to press on...I can help him along

: Give him the last of the Kolto if you have to. We'll be fighting again soon. Hey! Good to see another Padawan alive out here. Your Lucky those creatures have not caught you yet.

: I haven't encountered a creature yet that could stop me.

: They couldn't take us either, and let me tell you they tried.

: We came seeking knowledge of the Jedi Code. The Flesh Raiders interrupted our trial.

: I have never fought like that in my life. We killed it but Jerridan was badly injured.

: One flesh raider did this? You really can't handle yourself can you?

: I mean seriously is their one competent Jedi on this entire planet?

: We are not warriors, Besides it is not the Jedi way to seek revenge.

: That's just your opinion Mennaus, that's not what we decided.

: Training or not, a bunch of animals won't keep us from becoming Jedi.

: Isn't she right? Jedi don't give up.... Do they?

: She is wrong, Remember the Jedi code, "there is no passion there is serenity...."

: That's enough, Mennaus!
If you want to help us--we could use you. Help make the Flesh Raiders pay.

So here we come to our first Light Side/Darkside choice. Evacuate the students? or aid them in gaining revenge? So I of course make the logical choice. No ignorant savages will kill off the superior Jedi race under my watch!

: All right. Let's teach those monsters to stay out of the Gnarls

: Here's what we need. then--if you can take the flesh raiders head-on, we can come around and flank them.
When you're finished let the watchmen at camp know we're coming back. It just may take us a while.

: May the Force be with you!

We also get another Codex entry.

SWTOR Codex posted:

FLESH RAIDERS:

Fierce creatures with an unrelenting hunger, Flesh Raiders are believed to be Tython's only sentient natives. They are at least partially intelligent, capable of building shelters and assembling basic weapons from scavenged technology, but attempts to communicate with them have ended violently. Known for devouring their prisoners and any animals they come across, the flesh raiders were formerly content to live in their bone strewn caves in the hills. More recently, the expansion of the Jedi and the defenceless Twi'lek Pilgrims seems to have drawn them to the valleys.

No one knows where the Flesh Raiders come from. Some speculate that they were once a civilised people, driven to cannibalism and madness over years of isolation. Others fear they are the results of dark side experiments. Whatever their origins Flesh raiders have only grown more powerful and numerous over the years, and they are quickly becoming a blight on Tython.

So here we get another quest to kill off a few more flesh raiders and burn down their supplies. Tune in next time to watch me genocide kill a few more of them for the colonial glory protection of the Jedi.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MadDogMike posted:

Sure, Vanguard is a decent tank and all, but given the difference in weapons used I have no idea why anybody goes with it over the Commando's option

The Vanguard has a grappling hook and can pull people into instant-death falls, it's funny as hell. That's about it, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I remember back when you were getting speeches in KOTOR 2 about how 'No Jedi would die to stray blaster fire, it's embarassing.' and 'If I see another idiot rush a Jedi head on with a blaster, I'll shoot him myself.'

And yet here we are. "Oh no, the horrible ogres have BLASTERS, we are doomed despite our precognitive ability to deflect bullets!" NPC syndrome hits these chaps hard, I see.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Night10194 posted:

You know, I remember back when you were getting speeches in KOTOR 2 about how 'No Jedi would die to stray blaster fire, it's embarassing.' and 'If I see another idiot rush a Jedi head on with a blaster, I'll shoot him myself.'

And yet here we are. "Oh no, the horrible ogres have BLASTERS, we are doomed despite our precognitive ability to deflect bullets!" NPC syndrome hits these chaps hard, I see.

Well these Jedi are clearly VERY bad at their jobs. Maybe they're in the Jedi janitorial brigade or something? The heretofore unknown Jedi ditch diggers who aren't any good at fighting or much of anything really.

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009

Inferior posted:

Yuon Par is unique in that she's the only person with a Welsh accent in the entire universe. Diversity!

Well there is that one Imperial guy on Dromund Kaas, near the estate assuault. But If I didn't just do that mission, I would have missed it too :v

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Night10194 posted:

Feinne posted:

Well these Jedi are clearly VERY bad at their jobs. Maybe they're in the Jedi janitorial brigade or something? The heretofore unknown Jedi ditch diggers who aren't any good at fighting or much of anything really.

To be slightly fair in KOTOR 2 we were playing a veteran Jedi General with years of experience in wars. These are 14 year old kids who aren't even issued a proper lightsaber yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Age is kinda a muddled thing in TOR.

On the one hand, I'm pretty sure everyone's supposed to be mid-twenty-somethings; but in practice and especially in the early chapters every class comes across as 16 year old Farmboy Luke Skywalker (except the Smuggler, who reminds me of a geriatric Han Solo).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Smuggler probably is the one class you could play as an old man and never once run into anyone calling you a kid or young or whatever.

It's pretty fun to see a very un-Jedi-like Jedi pulling the Order's collective fat out of the fryer. Sort of a neat contrast to most Star Wars games where a mean, arrogant Jedi just becomes a Sith. In SWTOR you're promoted!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain's log, entry #002
Stardate: An hour away from a much-needed shower.

If I ever wanted to see my ship or any of my money again, I had to get to fort Garnik. Word had it that the road from Drelliad was littered with separatist snipers, taking the head off anyone who wasn't one of them – even innocent civilians, or mostly-innocent entrepreneurs.

I hate snipers. It's not that I love a fair fight, I just hate being on the receiving end of an unfair one. A couple of the Mantellians were saying some big drat hero from the Republic had just blown through and cleared the way but, well...

I was skeptical.

I did what I could, but I'm no commando. Running and gunning got me to the fort. Here's hoping the snipers cut their losses sooner rather than later. Anyway.

The fort itself was a real monster. The Republic must've been serious about keeping this place. The separatist bushwhackers I'd seen so far didn't have nearly the firepower to scratch this sort of base, but I should know you don't win a civil war just by shooting the other side the most.

It wasn't hard to find Viidu's place. The base had been built around the starport and warehouses, warehouses he owned. I have to admit I was a little worried – Corso said this guy could help, but Corso was zero for one on judging character so far. Two, if you count me.

I'd just lost this Viidu a cargo full of blasters to the separatists, and depending on what kind of boss he was he might not take a liking to me too quickly for that...

quote:

Viidu: Welcome, captain! I'm Viidu. Corso tells me we've had a rough day. How about a drink to wash away our worries?

I decided pretty quick that I liked Viidu.

quote:

Viidu: Here's a toast to my favorite things... the best collection of art works and exotic beverages in the whole system.

Viidu: And here's to the stupid separatists who destroyed it all. Between them and that backstabber Skavak, I am thoroughly ruined!

Viidu: The blasters Skavak stole in your ship belonged to Rogun the Butcher. As employers go, he's not the most forgiving.

Quinine: That's a tough break, sorry.

Viidu: Feel sorry for yourself. I'm working for him, but you're working for me. He'll blame us equally for this mess.

Viidu: He's killed enough people to fill a convoy of bulk freighters, and now we've crossed him.

Viidu: Rogun bought those blasters to protect his business from separatists. When he finds out what happened, guess who dies first?

Viidu: The only way we're getting out of this alive is finding Skavak, your ship and those stolen blasters.

Viidu: I've got an idea on where to start looking for Skavak. There's a guy named Reki who's an expert on separatists.

Which probably means he is one, or just the sort of decent guy who works with both sides in a civil war.

quote:

Viidu: Problem is, Reki's behind a Republic blockade. Troops have his village surrounded while they “contain” the separatists there.

Quinine: I'll bust Reki out of that village. Can't be that hard.

Viidu: Forget about a rescue mission. We don't have time.

Viidu: I'm friendly with the Republic commander in charge of the blockade. I can get you in and out of the village.

Viidu: But you'll have to earn that free pass by taking out a few separatists to prove your loyalty. You up for that?

That's the Republic I know and love. They'll let a friend of a friend through a siege-line, but only if you knock a few heads first to prove you're down with the gang. I shouldn't be too bitter considering it was saving my rear end, but if I'd wanted to keep killing farm-kids and college dreamers for a living I'd have stayed in the army.

quote:

Quinine: I won't shoot anybody unless they attack me first.

Viidu: I don't think that's gonna be a problem with the separatists.

Viidu: Reki's village is running out of basic supplies thanks to the Republic blockade. Things are getting desperate in there.

Viidu: I'll put together a survival kit. You smuggle it to Reki, and he'll tell you a way to find Skavak.

Viidu: Reki's at a hideout in Tallorn village. I'll send a message so he knows you're coming.

On my way out of fort Garnik I come across a refugee camp. You find them just about everywhere these days, the treaty of Coruscant left more people than I want to think about without a home. They always get me thinking about Corellia again. I shouldn't have been so surprised to see the camp on Ord Mantell wasn't a happy place, but when I heard the crying I couldn't help myself. I had to see what was up.

quote:

Alma: Oh no! Where is it? Oh no!

Alma: What am I going to do? What? What?

Alma: It was terrible! The separatists came to Talloran village in the night and drove us out of our homes – we had to leave everything behind. We lost it all!

Quinine: That's a tough break. I'm sorry.

quote:

Alma: Thank you for your sympathy.

It was about there that I felt this sinking feeling, and knew I was about to do whatever it was she was about to ask.

quote:

Alma: I won't ever get my home back. I know that. But when I fled, I left behind an heirloom that belonged to my great-grandmother.

Alma: Please – I've lost my home, I've lost everything. But if, one day, I do manage to get off this planet, I just want to take this one thing.

Alma: You will get my necklace for me, won't you?

Quinine: I'll handle that.

Alma: Oh, thank you, thank you. Oh, I don't know what I would've done without you. Thank you.

I guess I just have a weakness when it comes to women in distress. I should just count myself lucky it was on the way and not in a rancor's stomach.

Hoofing it through the Mantellian countryside isn't my idea of a vacation, but I didn't have much choice. There wasn't a clear 'front' to this civil war, so I had to keep walking until I found trouble.

I find trouble pretty easily.

I helped the boys on the siege-lines with a few thrown party favours and in the chaos slipped into town. Talloran was about as one-horse as they get, but unlike Drelliad it was still mostly standing.

I could already see the warehouse Reki was holed up in, but the house Alma gave me coordinates for was closer, so I decided to drop by.

I'd been expecting separatists. I was ready for separatists. What I wasn't expecting was a definitely non-Mantellian alien picking through Alma's stuff.

quote:

Ebenga: Ah, who is this poking around in the house of eyes? Strange coincidence that we are all here now.

Ebenga: We think maybe you are looking for the same thing as us, and so you have come to the same place. It is not surprising that she should send someone.

Ebenga: She sent you here for the necklace, yes? That confirms our suspicions. It is a good thing that you have come, yes, to confirm our suspicions.

His Arconian accent is so thick even the translator can't sort it all out. I knew if I didn't interrupt he'd be talking in circles all day.

quote:

Quinine: Are we talking about the same necklace here?

Ebenga: The same necklace, but different stories, we suspect. She is a crafty one – crafty and tricky. But you were not fooled, we think.

Ebenga: She has called it a family heirloom, yes. We have heard it being called that with both ears. But it is more than a necklace.

Ebenga: This woman you have met, this woman Alma is a spy, yes. We have been keeping both eyes on her.

Quinine: What does this have to do with the necklace?

Ebenga: We are with the Republic. We are the ones who watch spies. But she watches for the others – for the Empire. They have both eyes on Ord Mantell – her eyes.

Ebenga: Her heirloom is a communicator that looks like a necklace. A necklace that works like a communication device. She uses it to speak to the Empire.

quote:

Ebenga: Either way, it is the proof we need to arrest her with both hands. Do you understand now?

As soon as he said Alma was a spy I realized just how much of a sucker I was. I went back over our conversation in my head - of course something was up, I was just a little too distracted to pick up on it. I'm not a big fan of being played for a fool, especially not by an Imperial spy. Ebenga might be a little weird, but at least he was a Republic spook.

quote:

Quinine: Sounds like you could use a professional.

Ebenga: The necklace is the first thing. We must find it.

Ebenga: The scavengers have beaten us to this place and taken it. We must steal it back to stop the spying woman. This is something you can do, yes?

Quinine: She needs to be stopped, and fast.

Ebenga: Then we are in accord.

Ebenga: We will mark the location of the scavengers on your map. There you will find the communication device, which is called an heirloom.

Ebenga: We will compensate you on your return.

It might be wrong to say it, but blowing up the separatist security systems and blasting my way through the warehouse was a good way to cool down after finding out I'd been an Imperial patsy. I did my best to put Alma out of my head once I closed in on Reki's hideout. He was why I'd come in the first place. I had to keep a cool head if I wanted to keep Rogun from butchering it off.

Unfortunately, Reki made that difficult.

Recommended for the full, discomforting effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPoEDhBFxKQ

quote:

Reki: You're certainly not a resident here, and you're no separatist. You must be that hotshot freighter captain Viidu described over the holo.

Reki: These poor, starving ladies and I are very grateful for the supplies you've brought. If I wasn't so exhausted, I'd throw you a party.

Quinine: What're all these women doing here?

Reki: Their husbands died defending Talloran against the separatists. Poor things. Now I look after them.

You didn't need to tell me what was going on here. If Viidu and I hadn't needed him...

quote:

Reki: Viidu said you're seeking information on a particular separatist named Skavak. The only place to find personnel data like that is at Mannet Point.

Reki: I used to acquire quality goods at a discount on Mannet Point. I discovered all manner of shortcuts through the island's warehouses.

Reki: I kept detailed schematics of every maintenance passage and tunnel there. Unfortunately, I had to abandon those schematics when I fled Mannet Point.

Quinine: You've got a brilliant plan, right?

Reki: I've always got a brilliant plan. It's why I'm still alive.

Reki: My schematics are still in my former home. However, I short-circuited the building's door and sealed it shut when I left.

Reki: The only way to re-open the door is by disrupting Mannet Point's power relays.

Reki: Once you've gained entry, you'll find my schematics cleverly disguised as an extraordinarily tedious treatise on bird-watching.

Reki: Don't worry, I'll teach you the code I used to conceal my schematics. You won't die of boredom reading about rare waterfowl.

Reki: Now pay attention and listen carefully, because you really don't want to hear this twice...

Reki: ...And replace every mention of the Mantellian flutterplume with the number three. Did you get all that?

Quinine: I nodded off once or twice. You weren't kidding about the boredom.

Reki: Imagine how dull it was to write the blasted thing.

Reki: The separatists encrypt their files. You'll need special equipment to decipher the data. That's Viidu's area of expertise, not mine.

Reki: I'll take those supplies now, if you don't mind. These poor ladies could use some cheering up.

Quinine: It's disgusting how you take advantage of these women.

Reki: Don't be so quick to judge. These ladies adore me for a reason.

Reki? For the record? It's because you're the one with the food and the blaster.

quote:

Reki: Be a sport and kill some separatists on your way out of here. Goodbye, captain.

Just talking to the guy made me dirty. I was glad for an excuse to get out of the village and chase those scavengers down.

After my time in Talloran, picking a fight with a few scavengers felt like a vacation. At least I wouldn't be made to feel stupid for a few minutes.

Blowing through their camp took not time at all. I would've bought the drat necklace off them if they'd talked instead of shooting on sight, but guys like them are just vultures. You find them hanging around the edge of every war, waiting to strip the losers. Finally, picking a fight I didn't feel guilty about afterward.

The necklace was in amongst the rest of Alma's stuff. The scavengers had been pretty thorough. It looked normal enough to me, but I'm no secret agent. I double-timed it back to Ebenga before scavengers or separatists could catch me.

quote:

Ebenga: Ah, have you found it then, the communication device, which the spy Alma called an heirloom?

Quinine: Take the heirloom.

Ebenga: Good, good. Here is the small pay which we can give you from the Republic in gratitude of your aid catching this spy.

Quinine: Shouldn't you go arrest her?

Ebenga: Now we must analyze the communication device, which is called an heirloom, and set our trap for the spy who is called a Republic citizen.

Ebenga: It will take time, but we will arrest her and learn much about her contacts, too. It is a great service you have done. Thank you.

The captain always used to say one day I'd die chasing a skirt off a cliff. I used to laugh, but only because he was probably right. A wiser guy would harden up, but then I meet a guy like Reki and I'm reminded of what I don't want to be.

It's tough making an honest dishonest living in this galaxy these days. Backstabbers like Skavak and Alma can turn you into a real scumbag if you let 'em. I've got my reasons not to.

Soft heart or not, it's twice now I've been played since landing on this dirtball, and there's not going to be a third time.

Okay... maybe one more time.

##End Log##

[Looking for feedback on resolution size. I'm guessing non-widescreen would be best? I'm trying to keep the shots large enough to make the subtitles legible, but included them in the script parts as well.]

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The screenshots here seemed fine to me, but then again I'm viewing on a laptop with the plain freakish native resolution of 1366x768, so...

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Looking great so far. No problems with viewing the screenshots here, so size seems ok.

Only problem I am having is trying to bookmark the thread. For some reason it just does not list in my bookmarked threads list.. I've clicked the link on-and-off-and-back-on at least a dozen times, yet it just will not work? Anyone else having this problem?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

OzCavalier posted:

Looking great so far. No problems with viewing the screenshots here, so size seems ok.

Only problem I am having is trying to bookmark the thread. For some reason it just does not list in my bookmarked threads list.. I've clicked the link on-and-off-and-back-on at least a dozen times, yet it just will not work? Anyone else having this problem?

Cookies maybe?

Try another thread, and see if that one works.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

OzCavalier posted:

Seems to work fine for me, not sure what might the issue I'm afraid.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Ablative posted:

Cookies maybe?

Try another thread, and see if that one works.

I don't think it wss cookies, I was able to bookmark other threads without issue.

Ironically just after I posted about my problem I was able to bookmark the thread... so no idea what was going wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We have a fine captain shaping up here. Hopefully he'll manage to stay out of politics because that means staying alive.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tython Episode 2: Set up for a Buddy Cop Movie

From the Personal Holocron of R'andayn:

Now where was I?

Oh right, campaign of wanton genocide against the natives sat on the Jedi promised land. That was it, Anyway, I cut my way through the Flesh Raiders towards the cave Weller had mentioned. I was like a whirlwind of destruction, even at such a young age.

Burning the Flesh Raiders supplies, Liberating my fellow Padawans, Life was so much more fun back then not like now. But then I guess we all have nostalgia for our misspent youth.

I remember I even got a commendation for the rescues, They overlooked the slaughter I guess, I was never rewarded for doing what needed to be done, but then again they never punished me either for being so unjedilike so I suppose it all evens out in the end

When I made it to the cave I was shocked, How was one little Padawan like myself supposed to block a cave that large? This was before I understood the true power of the force. You see the force cares little for size, whether a job is big or small is irrelevant, all that matters is that one possesses the necessary will and focus and moving mountains becomes as easy as moving molehills.

So I cut my way through the cave searching for the means by which the flesh raiders had invaded our peaceful little jedi retreat. That was when I met him.

I can't remember the kids name, but I recall his words extremely well, you might say this is where it all started, where I became the individual I am today

: Stop struggling, Padawan. Your life was over the moment you set foot in here.

: You are Jedi. Why would you kill me?

: Because the order must evolve--and you are weak.

: Whatever your problem is, ugly, I am here to end it.

: Be careful there is something wrong with this jedi-- and he's not alone,

: Hmm, you are... dangerous, You killed my soldiers.

: He commands the Flesh Raiders attacking us.

: And the award for Best Example of Stating the Obvious, goes to....

: Not attacking--cleansing. And we have only just begun.

: I'll do some cleansing of my own.

30 seconds later

Remember how I said there were maybe 3 interesting characters on Tython meet number 1

: You two alright? What happened here?

: This Jedi attacked us, Master Orgus. He was sick... confused.

: Thank the force that your both safe. This man's no Jedi--at least, not one of us.

: You missed the fun, Master. Did you have something better to do?

: I was distracted by a pack of hungry Flesh Raiders. Thought I looked delicious.

: This lightsaber...there is something familiar about it. Strange. You held off all three attackers by yourself with only a practice saber. Impressive.

: The force was with me, as usual. Also I caught a fish this big!

: Don't confuse confidence with arrogance, Padawan. Your masters should've taught you the difference. and there aren't any fish that big on Tython, Liar! . The battles over, but we don't want any more Flesh raiders coming through here.

:Holy blue force ghost Batman!

It was at this point that I first began to discern the true power and majesty of the force

: That should hold them back, for now.

: I want to learn how to do that.

:Spend a few decades practising, and you'll pick it up in no time.

: I'm injured, Master Orgus. Are the training grouds safe for travel?

: Not yet. I'll get you to a medcenter. You seem all right to travel alone. Report to the Jedi council.

: I only just arrived on Tython. Where am I going?

: Follow the path leading out of this valley. You'll find the Jedi Temple through the mountain pass. See you there.

Codex Entry

SWTOR Codex posted:

Master Orgus Din

A grizzled Jedi Master who's fought more battles with the Sith than any other living member of the order, Master Orgus Din, was an eyewitness to the Sacking of Coruscant. The destruction of the Jedi Temple, along with the loss of his Padawan, Bengel Morr, Hardened him. Now considered a maverick among his peers, Orgus prefers to leave meditation, debate and diplomacy to the Jedi Council while he goes out and gets things done.

Despite his somewhat abrasive nature, there are many among the order who respect Orgus as a man of action. Yet even though he would be the first to argue that the Jedi need more individuals like himself, Orgus is still haunted by what he has seen and has refused to take on a new Padawan for many years.

One uneventful hike back to camp later

: The Padawans are a bit shaky, but they're alive. They wanted to stay so I cleared them a path.

: That's brave of them--but not what the council wanted. I hope they'll be all right.

: That was a useless endeavour.

: It may seem like it, but knowing the Padawans are safe is something. And there will be no more training here until we have cleared the area. How does smallpox infested blankets sound to you? You'll probably want to get back to your trials. Again thank you and may the force be with you.

: So I set off for the temple with much to think on. However on the way I ran into one of these.

A little discreet research later revealed this to be an Uxibeast, a rather small and unimpressive specimen thereof, They were certainly ugly as sin, and almost as mean

Codex Entry

SWTOR Codex posted:

Uxibeat

Deceptively aggressive, Uxibeasts are mammalian herbivores with a multitude of horns covering their shaggy bodies. They are believed to originate on Tython, but they have been found in small numbers on other planets- evidence of the migration of the first Jedi, long ago. They typically travel in herds, and are quite capable of fending off would-be predators; the pointed spines on their backs prevent attackers from pouncing o them, and a charging uxibeast is capable of inflicting all kinds of bodily harm.

Uxibeasts are generally ill-tempered and unpleasant around people, but they can be tamed-to a degree, Domesticated Uxibeasts will imprint on a single individual, whom they are unquestionably loyal to, while remaining hostile to everyone else.

Having finally fought my way down the mountain, through packs of flesh raiders I came before the Jedi temple.

I halted in front of the temple, Half paralyzed by awe at its beauty, and half held by disgust at its decadence. For an order that preached a life of austerity and poverty the Jedi temple was certainly a statement about something. Perhaps it was a testament to the hypocrisy of the Jedi Order? On my way into the temple I encountered another Jedi looking for some help

: Padawan, I heard you have you've begun your trials. Master Orgus speaks very highly of you. No doubt your pleased to come this far. But some Jedi have the power to do more, help more people. Interested?

: Yeah sure Always looking for a way to help,

: A war is brewing in the greater galaxy. The Sith Empire plots against the Republic, and the republic looks to the Jedi for aid. But not all who train to be Jedi are skilled combatants and leaders. Many are scholars, diplomats, strategists and scientists. Which is why we have created a simulation to test Jedi and Padawans and certify them to lead republic troops.

: If your looking for a leader, you've come to the right person where do I start?

: Confidence is good. A leader must have confidence in herself and others. Just don't get arrogant. The droids in the yard have been programmed to act according to imperial military protocols and battlefield tactics. Demonstrate your proficiency at defeating these droids, and you will be on your way to qualifying to lead republic troops into battle. Can you do it?

: Whatever you say, works for me.

: Excellent. The first set of training droids are ready for you. Get to it.

10 seconds later

: I'm impressed. Hopefully we will have something more challenging for you soon.

END RECORDING...

So tried something new with this update, a more narrative approach.And I am curious to know what people think. Do you like it? or do you prefer the more dry style of the first update? Updated with dolash's suggestion vv

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 13, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked it, but I think whichever approach feels more natural to you would work fine. You might find that the narrative approach will make it easier to keep talking about the story after your initial observations run out, since you can talk a bit more about the characters and the plot that way, but don't be afraid to mix it up a little and include snippets from your perspective as a player along with the in-character stuff.

The only detail you should straighten out is what format you'll use for different types of communication. Italics seem to be your character's internal monologue, but can sometimes be a little addition to the dialogue. Maybe having it so non-italicized text without a portrait is your player remarks, italicized without a portrait is character inner monologue, and italicized with a portrait is an addition to the dialogue?

Also it always seemed a little funny to me that the only qualification for leading Republic troops into battle is whomping on droids. Learning command skill or military hierarchy? Nah, just beat up bigger and bigger training dummies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dolash posted:

Also it always seemed a little funny to me that the only qualification for leading Republic troops into battle is whomping on droids. Learning command skill or military hierarchy? Nah, just beat up bigger and bigger training dummies.

It explains a lot about the performance of the Republic's "elite" units, really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

It explains a lot about the performance of the Republic's "elite" units, really.

They've been trained to fight Sith and operate in unit sizes of three or less.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every time you're tearing through the opposing squad their comms chatter is "I TOLD you we needed a healer for this, but noooooo, you said your companion could heal. Where's your companion now, Bob? Where's your companion now?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. Are you buying your punctuation marks from the ingame store (topical humor huzzah) Periods question marks and comas are freely available to all LPers Use them Proof read what you write and don't just dump a bunch of words into a sentence.

(Yes, like I just did by way of illustration)

2. Don't repeat text that was already featured in a screenshot.

Edit - Also, stick with some form of narration, unless you have a good reason to change things up. Are you just commenting on the events that take place in the game? That's good, stick with that. Are you doing flashback commentary in character? That's a pretty bad idea (and execution) but at least be consistent about it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 13, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

They're doing that intentionally because the text is too small to be easy for most people to read.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Ferrosol, I'm enjoying the writing in your posts, but can you please, please, run your installments through a grammar checker or similar before you post them? The random capitalisations and misplaced punctuation are really distracting. Thanks.

e:f; b.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ahah, I knew the natives must be being led by a [strike]white[/strike]Jedi officer, in order to display such organisation and competence.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Ahah, I knew the natives must be being led by a [strike]white[/strike]Jedi officer, in order to display such organisation and competence.

Yeah that makes everything far more awful and insulting.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Xander77 posted:

1. Are you buying your punctuation marks from the ingame store (topical humor huzzah) Periods question marks and comas are freely available to all LPers Use them Proof read what you write and don't just dump a bunch of words into a sentence.

(Yes, like I just did by way of illustration)

Edit - Also, stick with some form of narration, unless you have a good reason to change things up. Are you just commenting on the events that take place in the game? That's good, stick with that. Are you doing flashback commentary in character? That's a pretty bad idea (and execution) but at least be consistent about it.

Kloro posted:

Ferrosol, I'm enjoying the writing in your posts, but can you please, please, run your installments through a grammar checker or similar before you post them? The random capitalisations and misplaced punctuation are really distracting. Thanks.

e:f; b.

Part of it is I suck at grammar and punctuation. So apologies for all the errors, and expect a lot more in future. I will do my best to exterminate this mental and moral failing, and bend all my efforts to mastering the secrets of the common comma, and devote extensive research into figuring out how the hell you use these things; in a sentence.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The semicolon is a magical piece of punctuation, powered by the very Force itself. It allows you to separate two independent clauses in much the same way as a comma and conjunction. So, for example:

"We were running, and we ran really far." could be written as "We were running; we ran really far."

Semicolons have other uses as well, but that's the one I think of mostly. Think of them as a longer pause than a comma but not as long a pause as a colon.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 13, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think I've ever used a semicolon in tens of thousands of words in Let's Play writing (Wow, that's one way to reassess your life), so it should be warned that it's not for the faint of heart.

For real though, they're right that a quick grammar and spell-check makes a huge difference in the quality of a Let's Play post. Don't worry about it slowing down your update rate, the first few posts of an MMO LP zip by due to how easy content is to burn through, but nobody expects the early pace to last.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'll freely admit that I abuse the semicolon much more than is reasonable; it's the easiest way to glue together my addled thoughts.

That said, I'm loving your narrative as usual Dolash. Never figured it would be possible for a let's play of a MMO to be enjoyable to read -- at least for someone who hasn't ever played the MMO in question.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ferrosol posted:

narrative or previous style?

I vote for the style you posted in originally. The narrative thing the smug run is doing is cool, but I don't like reading a lot of extra text. Also the idea that your blue antivette has thoughts and feelings beyond Dark Sides - Hates Jedi - Sleeps with Everything cuts down on the humor. I think the writing in this game basically sucks, and I'd like to see a tongue in cheek approach.

Plus I have narrative fatigue from the other thread. I don't mean it's bad, I mean I get a solid dose of it already, and a different style would be nice.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'll save my next update for the next page. Don't want to overcrowded here.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'll freely admit that I abuse the semicolon much more than is reasonable; it's the easiest way to glue together my addled thoughts.

I would love to know when it's proper to use it. It and the freaking hyphen always screw me up.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Hey OP, can you put down who is playing each playthrough in the Updates section so it would be easier for people to read? It shouldn't be too confusing for most people, but just in case I guess?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thunderfinger posted:

Hey OP, can you put down who is playing each playthrough in the Updates section so it would be easier for people to read? It shouldn't be too confusing for most people, but just in case I guess?

Makes sense, I should've done that to start with.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Brainamp posted:

I would love to know when it's proper to use it. It and the freaking hyphen always screw me up.

Simplest use is to take the place of a conjunction when combining two related sentences. You can do more with them but they're much less common.

quote:

Star Wars is cool. This LP is nice.

You could add a conjunction like 'and'

quote:

Star Wars is cool and this LP is nice.

or you could skip that baloney poo poo altogether.

quote:

Star Wars is cool; this LP is nice.

:eng101:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'll have to see if I can casually insert one of those things into my update. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Let's Play SWTOR: Semi-colons are pretty cool; grammar is fun.

• Locked thread