Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah you need a lady jedi to make up for the trooper being a guy if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Night10194 posted:

You know, I remember back when you were getting speeches in KOTOR 2 about how 'No Jedi would die to stray blaster fire, it's embarassing.' and 'If I see another idiot rush a Jedi head on with a blaster, I'll shoot him myself.'

And yet here we are. "Oh no, the horrible ogres have BLASTERS, we are doomed despite our precognitive ability to deflect bullets!" NPC syndrome hits these chaps hard, I see.

Well these Jedi are clearly VERY bad at their jobs. Maybe they're in the Jedi janitorial brigade or something? The heretofore unknown Jedi ditch diggers who aren't any good at fighting or much of anything really.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Ahah, I knew the natives must be being led by a [strike]white[/strike]Jedi officer, in order to display such organisation and competence.

Yeah that makes everything far more awful and insulting.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The semicolon is a magical piece of punctuation, powered by the very Force itself. It allows you to separate two independent clauses in much the same way as a comma and conjunction. So, for example:

"We were running, and we ran really far." could be written as "We were running; we ran really far."

Semicolons have other uses as well, but that's the one I think of mostly. Think of them as a longer pause than a comma but not as long a pause as a colon.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 13, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yes infinitely more readable, many thanks.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I get that the kids need the medical supplies too but seriously, giving it to the soldiers in the middle of a war is dark side? Not every choice has to have alignment points on it, both choices there are perfectly reasonable actions.

I'm now going to go back to not being surprised by the alignment system being stupid.

They were very inelegantly trying to get across that there were enough medical supplies for everyone and the Republic were being dicks by not providing them for the refugees, they didn't come out and say that because I guess they want to portray the Republic as good guys and good guys don't hoard their supplies when they could use their extras to help people?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Dolash posted:

There's playing the long game, and then there's sitting in a basement for 20,000 years being bitter about losing an argument. He predated the Sith, I wonder if they'd convince him his theories are bunk?

He'd probably just No True Scotsmen them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: only Juhani, the character LucasArts tried their damndest to keep out of KOTOR because she was a lesbian, and T3, who died between KOTOR2 and TOR, never get mentioned in this game out of all the KOTOR1 party members. Even the guy from the tutorial is revered as a legendary war hero on Alderaan.

Poor Juhani. I mean first there was the fact that even much younger me could tell there was content related to her cut from original KOTOR, and now this.

This whole mechanic of becoming an immutable subclass at level 10 is such a transparent way to try and have 8 'classes' while still having only four plotlines per side. They might as well have had you pick at creation.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

It's always important to remember that this game has been in dev since before World of Warcraft even had any expansions, and most of that was writing. There's enough cutting room floor stuff in here to make two or three games this size.

Or, y'know, one good one. Shame we don't have that.

It's a shame more developer time during that wasn't spent on like gameplay.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Right, so as I said I wanted to talk about Ord Mantell. Frankly, it's dull. There is one and only set-piece on the planet that is interesting and that's the Volcano. The rest of the world is barren, sandy, or gray, so there's not a lot to actually draw interest. While I suppose this gives a certain, "this place is dying" feeling, for a starter world that isn't good to have. If your first planet is boring, then I'm not going to be interested in playing through to the rest. I will hand it that the quests on Ord Mantell are pretty fitting. The Obstacle Course, the quests based on mistrust between the local troops and the civilians. It matches the feel that this is a hosed-up place that needs someone level headed to come along and set straight. So overall Ord Mantell isn't bad, but it feels out of place and I think that, had it been placed farther down the line, it would have been wonderful. Some interesting areas wouldn't have hurt but hey, loving volcano base.

Admittedly this is just from seeing shots of it and not playing it because the only computer I have that's good enough to play much of anything is a mac, but I'd almost say they didn't go dreary enough on the surroundings. The color palette of the planet is dreary but too light in color to really be oppressive. I mean, you can definitely make a starting area for an MMO without bright colors, Tirisfal Glades does it quite well in WoW. It works because the surroundings are all sort of dark and ominous as is the skybox, to really sell that you're in a place of death. It also makes it even easier to create points of interest at that point because pops of color really show up well.

Obviously you can't make a Star Wars area an undead hellscape but if you darkened the skies and just in general gave it a visual feel that matched how dark a lot of the content was it would work a lot better, because it'd really drive home that you're fighting a pointless and brutal conflict over a world that's not even worth having except to stop the other side having it. Instead it's just boring, neither being colorful nor properly bleak.

EDIT: Going back and looking at the screenshots, the missed opportunity glares even more. The skybox was already full of horrible smog clouds and then they have to screw it up by a) having bright edges b) making everything look so well lit that I didn't even notice it should be darker until I really looked. I actually remembered the skies as clear, because the lighting makes it seem like they should be.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 13, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Calax posted:

One thing that screenshots don't get across is the fact that there's constantly respawning mobs of troopers that are shooting at each other (including rockets across a bridge at one point). And while you may be in a few areas of some green, most of what you see is either military bases or towns, so everything is concrete grey or a building interior. On Hutta, Typhon and Korribon, you get at least one other major questing area. Ord Mantell is basically a town, and the other questing areas make you feel like you're hiking to mount doom to get to them. Due to both terrain and the atmosphere.

The major memory I have of the place (from about 6 months ago now) is getting frustrated because my path between my quest hub and the zones I needed was A) narrow as all heck and B) had constantly spawning enemies. Well, and one area around a shield generator that was just confusing due to it's loops.

Oh god, that's even more annoying. Lower level areas really need clear routes of travel, it's more okay for travel to be a bit unsafe in higher level areas but not when people are still supposed to be learning the game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

They do, but they're not marked anywhere but on the map (a solid yellow line is a 'safe road', a dotted yellow line is a semi-safe road) but wandering enemies tend to blunder into them since they move semi-randomly, and on some of the early planets some spawns are positioned so you have to fight through them to proceed (Tython! :argh: ).

TOR really gives the impression that Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantell, and Hutta were the first planets the designers worked on. They're really poorly thought out compared to some later worlds, and it really shows.

I mean honestly it would make sense for there to sometimes be mobs on the road on a conceptual level of the planet because it's supposed to be a dangerous war zone, and it can work for there to not really be safe areas to travel on the ground. It's just an awful dick move for new players to be in constant combat with random poo poo to get where they need to go.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Given that one of my abilities is literally hit man with gun, and that it's one of my most damaging ones somehow, all I can say is that guy who got hit must have been roughly 5 or so levels ahead of the soldier.

This reminds me of a funny thing from WoW. So the tank spec for monks is brewmaster, and one of their most damaging attack is to smash a keg on some poor motherfucker, after which they can do that blowing fire with alcohol trick to light them on goddamn fire.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

To me the Jedi are supposed to be making sure the Republic follows its own rules and such, and are really bad at their job.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Psion posted:

There needs to be a Godwin's Law about 40k references.

Guilleman's Law.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I don't even have any plans on getting Rise of the Hutt Cartel. Sorry, but one non-companion flirt prompt per gender per faction doesn't merit a bullet point for same-sex romance on the feature list, and I haven't been impressed with anything else I've seen. Star Trek Online, Guild Wars 2, and The Secret World are all superior sub-less MMOs in my book.

So that's seriously all it ended up being? Wow. That's pretty bullshit on their part.

So what all content are they adding that they expect is worth people seriously paying money for?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

If I remember the pre-launch interviews right, both the Inquisitor VAs are Broadway actors doing their very first VA gigs.

Yeah I recognize a LOT more names on the republic side than I do on the empire side.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I can't believe I didn't peg Andronikas as Steve Blum. He's even doing the "I have a pretty impressive vocal range but everyone just wants me to do the Wolverine voice" voice.

Yeah I was amazed that he was Abathur and Dehaka in Heart of the Swarm, because neither of those sounded at all like that voice they always have Steve Blum do.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hah, so WoW back in Cataclysm had a quest in Hyjal where you had to infiltrate the Twilight's Hammer cult. At one point you're given a little ball and are told to answer it's questions truthfully as an exercise. It then hijacks your bar and gives you a yes and no button basically, and asks you a bunch of questions, some of which did I think have potentially dick wording to require you to actually read them. You had limited time to answer and since it did rather a lot of damage every time you got something wrong or didn't answer it was very possible to get killed either by not realizing what was going on (like say not noticing your bar got hijacked) or just being a derp.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The thing you're discussing is exactly why they've got armor type limits for transmog. in WoW. You need to be able to visually distinguish what sort of character someone is as best as possible (though there are still funny things you can pull like my warlock friend who's got a whole set of gear mogged to look like priest cloth).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Am I the only one who sees the :manning: face on the front of the NotEbon Hawk?

Not any more you're not!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Now that's just ridiculous. Three hundred year old crashed ship on a planet that was reduced to rubble and parts of it look like they gently landed a week ago.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You could suppose that the Rakghoul plague hasn't particularly had any selective pressure to change given the old vaccine never really went into use and hasn't seemed to run into anything that resists its effects yet.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The RSS FYGM.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Burned down and then they all get eaten by wandering wildlife. In the middle of a huge city.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Let's be fair, if you could make a sexbot secretary, why wouldn't you make a sexbot secretary?

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The sort of person who would consider making a sexbot secretary probably doesn't have other options.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's poorly thought out minigame quests that really make you appreciate collecting bear asses.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That was completely brilliant, holy crap.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

'Pets' (since really that's what your companions are) that take full damage from AoE effects is a terrible design choice, and yet another thing on the list of 'things they should have stolen from WoW'.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tolan posted:

Well, keep in mind it took WoW a bit to figure that out, too. Originally pets did take aoe damage, which made a number of the early boss fights a pain in the rear end for hunters.

Since SWTOR is based on like 2005 WoW, it's no surprise they've got some of the same mistakes still. :)

Sadly seems to be the case.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Inferior posted:

It's not so bad because in normal play AoE attacks are very rare, although they crop up a lot in Flashpoint multiplayer content. Design ethos there is that a flashpoint boss ain't a real challenge unless it can kill everything in a 100 foot radius.

I mean that's just par for the course for a dungeon boss, but when you're giving an ability like that to a mob you're supposed to fight for a quest solo it starts to become a problem. Especially when your solo ability is pretty clearly balanced around you having a companion.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

That announcer's Steve Blum? Wow, the guy really CAN do voices other than Wolverine.

Yeah, dude also voices Abathur in Heart of the Swarm, which floored me when I found out.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

A set of bodies and some fire effects go a long way in situations like this.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yeah, see, I know this has probably already been debated ad nauseum by countless neckbeards all over the globe, but how exactly do the Jedi and Sith keep up their numbers? I mean, if the Jedi aren't really supposed to have relationships and they suppress their libido with the Force or whatever and the Sith are one glass of spoiled milk away from murdering everyone in their extended family, how do they keep any kind of numbers at all?
Theoretically, they would continue conscripting force sensitives from every race for their respective camps, but wouldn't that eventually just lead to the eventual extinction of force sensitives through natural selection?

As noted the Jedi aren't discouraged from making little baby Jedi, they're just discouraged from giving a gently caress about said baby Jedi or the other person required for their creation.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Are there any MMOs that aren't? It'd seem tricky to enforce a game-wide writing rule that says "in this game where people ask you to do things, all of them have good reasons for not doing those things themselves." Even if they manage to make it so everybody has a perfectly legitimate reason for never stepping up, eventually it's going to dawn on you that you're the only reason anything ever gets done.

There are actually some quests in the most recent WoW expansion where you briefly play as the character giving you the quest in the guise of them telling you the story of a thing they did without you.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So, this whole discussion of the morality of killing baby bug people and eggs and such reminds me of a relevant WoW thing. At one point in MoP you are assisting a group of bug people in an effective civil war against their queen, and they themselves send you on such a quest. To them it's not really a thing because they're an incredibly prolific race that is also surprisingly long-lived with limited resources, and they intentionally send the entire youth of their race in a brutal suicide rush on the rest of the continent every century or so with the idea that the small percentage of them who actually return are the only ones hardass enough to deserve to still be alive.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

That's not especially relevant, honestly! I think you were just looking for an excuse to talk about WoW. ;)
Edit: I mean I can understand the desire to sperg out about stuff you like, I'm hardly one to talk there, but let's be honest.

I think it was pretty relevant, because the question was 'is it dick to be killing baby bug people' and the answer is 'it depends on the circumstances'.

It doesn't help that the Killiks also look like the bug people in question.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 25, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SageNytell posted:

Sweet! Master Oteg is voiced by Jim Cummings, whom some of you might know better as the voice of Winnie-The-Pooh and Tigger, or maybe just Minsc! :3:
Basically he voices everything ever, and he's great. You can even hear his voice at the Epcot fireworks show in Disney World.

Jim Cummings also voices a major character in the most recent WoW expansion, Lorewalker Cho.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

What fresh disappointments will the next dungeon bring? Will there be minimal and terrible voice clips for the bosses in combat despite the whole goddamn game being voiced? Will the design be incredibly uninspired? Will there be two adds or GASP three during every single boss fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I say this so often in these threads that it feels like a broken record but they just don't put enough effort into making these dungeons feel like they're a part of the rest of the game, which is really a shame because dungeons are the content people will actually repeat on purpose. Above and beyond the missed opportunity of actually having dungeons set in the worlds you visit in-game, they should have at least had the dungeons feel organic to the player. The first one at least does this by actually trying to fit into the story. What should be happening though as we go along is that we should hear about things connected to dungeons we will be able to do soon and have a quest line that breadcrumbs us there. When the dungeons are just 'go to your hub and there's a guy with a mission or whatever' it can lack a certain element of motivation, especially if you're trying to pretend that your characters aren't just amoral mercenaries who'd toss a sack of kittens in a pond if it got them some shiny poo poo with more plusses than their current shiny poo poo.

• Locked thread