Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So the senior Web Developer in our company is leaving, which means I'll be taking over a lot of the front-end work and will be the sole front-end developer. I don't think they're going to hire anyone else to replace her/me and they'll probably be relying on our back-end guy to help out.

I'm underpaid for my position, but they hired me with basically very little front-end experience, but now that I'll be spear-heading everything I think I have room to ask for a significant raise when June comes around (we do salary reviews 2x a year in June and December). We're a small company of >50 people. I have goals of leading our coding practices to follow a dynamic path and to be more mobile friendly.

I'm pulling 32,000 right now. What would be a good raise amount? I was thinking around 35-36.

Also, I'm in the mid-West and a girl. People love to low-ball me it seems.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Cicero posted:

Read this article about salary negotiation for engineers. It's aimed at negotiating salaries for when you're taking a new job, but I think it can help with mindset.

Also while the mid-west is obviously a lot cheaper than the coasts, that's still absurdly low for an experienced developer. How many years of experience do you have? If you have at least a couple, I'd say like 45k minimum would be a fair starting point. Definitely look around at glassdoor, and if they don't offer you enough, go somewhere else.

And you're right, being a girl probably means that you'll get offered less, because they know/think they can get away with it (because girls don't demand as much money).

It was another girl as a front-ender. I'm sure she left for way more cash since she went to a health care company. She was with us for 2 years exactly. Never got a chance to ask about her salary. She left quick.

They have a "do not talk about salaries with co-workers" clause, which I know to be illegal. I haven't signed this years "handbook agreement".

Theler posted:

Unless the cost of living where you are at is insanely low, you are likely lowballing yourself. Depending on your experience, years with the company etc, At least 50-60k. If not more. Posting or looking at this thread for salary info can probably be a lot more helpful than my post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3376083

I've been with them for 6 months now. I still work for my old job on a freelance basis for extra cash because I'm so underpaid. All in all I have 6 months as a front-end developer and 1 year as a designer. I've been working design internships since mid-2008. I graduated with my BFA in 2011 and post-grad was a graphic design intern for 6 months, worked in a t-shirt factory through the holidays and then I worked as a production artist/HTML e-mail developer for 8 months (for 30K lol). I know Adobe Creative Suite, HTML5, CSS3, some PHP and some JavaScript along with knowledge of video editing in Final Cut and motion graphics/animation. I know how to do a lot, but I prefer working in web development and interactive areas.

I've talked to other people and the sentiment is that we're all underpaid (unless you're on the board). It makes sense since our CEO has an extra house in Florida while I'm putting my student loans into forbearance. We fired some people a few weeks ago (because we lost money the last 3 months) and we've had several others quit for new jobs. I am thinking about looking further, but the thing is I don't want to be seen as a job hopper. There's a place I know looking for someone with graphic design/development/motion graphics experience, which I have all of those check marks, and I know the guy due to being alums from the same program. Would it be bad to job hop so much?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Ultimate Mango posted:

The 'do not talk about salaries with co-workers' clause may not be legal or enforceable in the United States. I am not a lawyer but I have had some discussions with counsel at my work, and short strokes sound like there is recent case law that reaffirms employee's rights to talk about their salary with each other if they wish to do so, and that they cannot be punished in any way for talking about it.

Your state, employer, mileage, and experience may vary, so don't go and do anything stupid.

Cheese-eats-mouse, it sounds like you aren't in a great place, and could probably benefit from working for a better employer. I hope there are opportunities out there for you.

The funny thing is they have a reputation as a "good" company in the public sphere. The attitude of everyone there is great and I love my co-workers, but it seems like everything else is window dressing and when you get a few beers in people they start to talk about how things are backwards when it comes to compensation for the amount of work they do. Everyone is afraid to talk specifics too.

I see things changing in other ways as well, especially to a more corporate get your poo poo done or else attitude, so I don't blame the people who jumped ship.

Also, I did ask for 40k, but I was desperate to get out of my dead-end HTML e-mail job, so they got the best of me. Chalk it up to experience. I'm going to get my 1-2 years in first then look around. We're a very saturated advertising city so there are always places looking for developers. Really though I'd like to get to CO or WA.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 20, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Since March I've been covering for the front-end work of our agency so I've been covering two jobs without any increase in compensation. I was told at my monthly review that I'm a great worker and even easier to work with than the girl that left. Glowing reviews all around, except I won't get a raise until my 1 year anniversary. I'm getting really sick of this carrot dangling in front of me, but it would seem like it would be too early to jump ship? Should I hold out until October so I do have 1 year of agency development and to see how my compensation works out? I was at my previous job for 8 months and before that was tons of temp internships with local companies. I didn't graduate green at all.

My skill set: I'm proficient in HTML, CSS and have a good grasp of JavaScript and can read and write some PHP. I'm taking an interest in Ruby and even have a grasp of Objective-C. I'm familiar with a few frameworks and am going to start using SASS to make myself a faster developer. We've been trying to switch our customers and account execs over to a mobile design perspective with desktop as secondary. I feel like my boss and I are trying to turn the Titanic sometimes.

If I do switch jobs I want it to be out of Kentucky as well. I'm so sick of this state.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've never worked with technical recruiters and have a few messaging me on LinkedIn. Can anyone give me a run down if they're worth working with? I thew some a bone and now they want to talk to me, but I'm not quite ready to move yet, plus one sent me a lisitng for the same position I've seen advertised for a few months now by that company (could apply independently if I wanted to is my point).

I like my job but I'm way underpaid at about 10k for the area.

I've had crappy experiences with staffing/recruitment agencies before, but that was at the high school and not career level, so I'm just wary of any staffing agency now.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 21, 2013