Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shadowhand00 posted:

One of the VPs in my company sat down with me for a skip-level meeting. He told me he looks for 3 things when he promotes someone:

1. The smarts to deal with the new position as well as deal with unexpected situations
2. The humility to learn to deal with the new position, as well as the ability to learn.
3. The hunger and desire to work for the new position, as well as the passion to excel at the position.

He told me he really sees me as strong in #1 and #2, but he definitely wants to see me get better at #3 before he would consider promoting me. It wasn't disheartening to hear as much as inspirational in this case.

So what's the plan he's signed off on where you can get the opportunity to measure your development over time at #3? And what's the VP's timeline for you if/when you show success by meeting his expectations by that date?

If you don't have answers to these questions there's a good chance you're getting smoke blown up your rear end. Written critiques with mutually-agreed on goals and terms of success is how serious career development happens. Vague verbal promises about the future is how people get indefinitely strung along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU