Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ceetee posted:

Also something I've been meaning to ask, but it keeps slipping my mind: Are diagonal sectors supposed to be adjacent?

Can't speak to the rest, but this one is definitely 'yes'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ceetee posted:

It doesn't seem to have a Tactician power. Is this intentional, or just for the preview? I believe all the other giant monsters had a full set.

It's intentional. There's no real guideline for whether an invader has a full set of powers, I usually play it by ear. Invaders meant to be simple and thrown in large groups usually get one or two powers. Invaders with a cool gimmick will usually get the full set of four.
Since the spider's powers are fairly complex, especially And I'll Form The Head!, I stuck with three powers. Being able to use any power from an attached enemy is already a lot to track.

Giant invaders will usually have four powers since they're effectively two invaders worth of encounter budget, but not always.

quote:

The Disruptor power references a stacking effect on the Wrecked field effect, but they are only placed once during the fight. Do other things create wrecked effects? Also, does the leg put the effect in its own sector as well?

Yeah. There aren't too many yet, but a few invaders create Wrecked field effects. The Crusher (Last Stand, page 47) has a Wrecking Claw that creates Wrecked field effects and there are a few more in this Monthly. And yeah, you place the field effect in the sector the Disruptor Leg occupies.

quote:

If a player uses And I'll Form The Head, followed by The Akira Effect, do they stay combined, but shrink down to regular bio-armor agent size?

Yep, that's correct. The combination doesn't end until you choose to end it so you'll be a human-sized monstrosity instead of building-sized monstrosity..

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
So one of my players who has decided on holding off on slotting a new power from this session, before I could get him an answer to how one of them works.

He currently has BEEEEES and just got the ripped version of Frog Drones, and is loving the idea of having a 'drone centric' character. However, looking through the actual powers, he was wondering if the two stacked. IE: Was it possible to fail an attack with Frog Drones where he rolled a 1 or a 2, then activate BEEEEES to do 1 damage to himself and 2 damage to the enemy?

And to keep this thread from just being me asking questions non-stop (thanks for all the help so far btw), here HAVE SOME CONTENT (character sheet).

I've also been using the Dvorak plugin for Magic Set Editor to make cards for powers and tokens. Ripped powers are red, Slotted are blue, and Tokens are white.

And for any Roll20 GMs out there, I found a helpful little trick for invaders. When you drop down an invader token, change its name to D/L/O/T, with the number of each of those stats plugged into the right place, then click the "Show Nameplate" button, and keep the view/edit permissions for the name unchecked. This will show you the invaders stats below each token, but hide it from the players. Then when an invader takes damage, just edit the tokens name to reflect it. Makes bookkeeping for the gm MUCH easier.

Ceetee fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 19, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ceetee posted:

He currently has BEEEEES and just got the ripped version of Frog Drones, and is loving the idea of having a 'drone centric' character. However, looking through the actual powers, he was wondering if the two stacked. IE: Was it possible to fail an attack with Frog Drones where he rolled a 1 or a 2, then activate BEEEEES to do 1 damage to himself and 2 damage to the enemy?

Yes, definitely. The drone powers tend have cool synergy that's not obvious at first, and that's one of the combinations. I didn't get as many of the drones in the book as I wanted, but with a Monthly or two a drone-only agent with five or six creatures orbiting around at all times will be an effective and viable option. I'll move some up to the May Monthly so your player has some new toys.
There are a few weird builds ready to roll in the core (an agent with Bee Sting/Poison Mandibles/Pollen Missile/Implanted Anti-Biological Raygun/Crud Vapors can be terrifying on the battlefield) and a few that probably need more support. The goal was to let people pick any powers they want and be ready to roll, and they totally can, but to also have lots of toys for optimizers and tinkerers to play with too.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Should I be concerned if I haven't gotten anything yet? I'm a box set backer, but you mentioned a couple of months back that box set backers would get their books at the same time as everyone else.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Sefer posted:

Should I be concerned if I haven't gotten anything yet? I'm a box set backer, but you mentioned a couple of months back that box set backers would get their books at the same time as everyone else.

Send me a PM or an email (funhavergames gmail) and I'll check on the status. I've still got some books left to ship out next week too.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I think I've responded to everyone who sent me a PM.

I decided to completely gut all of the Dungeon player material and rip out a bad mechanic. It's fixed now, but took longer than expected. The Monthly will be out later this week, with the new and improved mechanics. If you missed it, I do have a preview of one of the new giant monsters complete with Voltron powers to slot.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my Last Stand stuff! Thanks for shuffling me around in the order, Mikan! I really like the custom power, extended musical references are always awesome.

USPS managed to be a buzzkill by beating the contents of the package up pretty well, though. Card box got crushed, luckily the cards are fine. The spine of the book got a little beat-on, but that's pretty minor. Did anyone else have issues with USPS for their stuff?

But whatever, LAST STAND. :black101:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Echophonic posted:

USPS managed to be a buzzkill by beating the contents of the package up pretty well, though. Card box got crushed, luckily the cards are fine. The spine of the book got a little beat-on, but that's pretty minor. Did anyone else have issues with USPS for their stuff?

But whatever, LAST STAND. :black101:
:hfive: Got my stuff too. Woo, cards!

And yeah, the spine on my book has a couple of creases but nothing serious. The card box also got a little squished, so I'm posting the custom card written on it for posterity (also for sharing :) ).

Chaos Dunk
Disruptor +2
Standard, Melee, Collateral (1,2,3,4)
Select an enemy in your sector; you both move to an adjacent sector. That enemy takes 4 damage. If you trigger Collateral, for the rest of the scene all your Standard actions trigger Collateral. Even if they don't have it.

I also made some progress on the power editor, which is also now a full fledged invader editor because scope creep is a bitch. It's almost done I think, but I forgot to handle vermin rules so that needs work yet. And I don't even really want to think about how I want to try tackling the giant invader grids...

Anyway, more screenshots:

(That last screen is for just printing off individual powers in case your players already have a bunch of powers ripped/slotted.)
Invaders PDF
Powers PDF

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I should post another monster preview to make your job even harder :twisted: Introduce new mechanics and everything. That generator is amazing though, seriously.
Also, sorry about the books guys. Let me know if you want a replacement and I can send one after all the other backers get their copies. (Halfway through, next shipment should go out soon)

The Monthly got held back because I'm rewriting the rules for Dungeon content completely. The old iteration was fairly awful and I hate the old unique mechanic. It's been replaced with a new one, Debt.

quote:

Debt
If you have any powers with Debt, write them down on your Ledger. When you use a power with Debt, make a check next to the power on your Ledger.
At the end of a scene, check your Ledger. If there are any marks next to a power, you can’t use that power anymore.
You can remove a mark from a power on your Ledger by paying the Debt cost in tokens at any time.

Dissociated Healing
Debt 2
Move, Ranged. An ally in your sector or an adjacent sector heals one point of damage.

and the new unique monster gimmick for Dungeon is:

quote:

Hoard
Many monsters in Dungeon have a Hoard value. As the Hoard value increases, they gain power - but drop better treasure as well.
Hoard has a starting value and a maximum value. Powers can affect the Hoard value. Hoard can’t increase above the maximum value, and once it’s at maximum players can’t use powers or accept outcomes that would increase Hoard further.
It’s always up to the players if Hoard increases or decreases; it’s a way to risk a more difficult fight for better rewards.

Hoard is, basically, gambling with enemy difficulty level. You can choose to fight a stronger version of a monster to get better powers, or set the difficulty to Very Easy if you're struggling.
Both of the unique mechanics have to do with money and treasure, since that's what Dungeon is all about.

Elder Dragon

The Elder Dragon consists of three sectors. L, the legs, sit on the sector grid. B, the body, is elevated one sector above the grid. H, the head, is two sectors above the grid. It’s like a staircase.
When the Elder Dragon moves it may rotate 90°, pivoting from the Legs sector.

You think you want to hunt a dragon? That’s the dumbest thing an adventurer can do, hunt a dragon. Tell enough people and that dragon’s gonna be hunting you before you know it. Sit down and shut up and listen.

Disruptor 5
Leader 7
Operative 3
Tactician 8

Climbing - To resist getting thrown off, characters must roll 15 or higher with Tactician.
Hoard 1/5

Some of ‘em breathe fire, some of ‘em breathe acid. Ain’t no dragon the same as another.
Disruptor - Breath Weapon. Standard, Ranged. Spend three tokens; everyone in an adjacent sector takes damage equal to the Elder Dragon’s Hoard.
When the Elder Dragon’s Disruptor hits 0, anyone on the Head sector takes the Elder Dragon’s Hoard in damage and falls to the sector underneath the Head Sector.
---Ripped. Standard, Ranged. Spend three tokens; everyone in an adjacent sector takes 1 damage.
---Slotted. Standard, Ranged. Spend three tokens; everyone in an adjacent sector takes 1 damage. If the Elder Dragon’s Hoard was 3 or 4 when you ripped this power, increase it to 2 damage. If the Elder Dragon’s Hoard was 5 or higher when you ripped this power, increase it to 3 damage.

He tells me this dragon, right, it takes man-sized bites. I’m laughin and laughin and laughin like it’s no big deal. A dragon and it don’t bite any bigger than I do with a loaf of bread? What a teeny tiny little dragon, gonna nibble at all the brave adventurers.
No, he says. It bites down a man whole. It takes man-sized bites.

Leader - Man-Sized Bites. Standard, Ranged. An enemy in your sector or an adjacent sector takes 5 damage. They can reduce this to 0 damage and increase the Elder Dragon’s Hoard by 1.
When the Elder Dragon’s Leader hits 0, the player responsible can raise or lower the Elder Dragon’s Hoard by 1.
---Ripped. Standard, Melee. Spend three tokens; an enemy in your sector takes 1 damage.
---Slotted. Standard, Melee. Spend three tokens; defeat a vermin in your sector.

Dragons don’t give a drat about us. You get mad at an ant for crawling over your shoe? No, you want to get a dragon’s attention you gotta hurt it something awful. That’s when it stops playing around.
Operative - Dragonic Arrogance. Passive. When a player character deals damage to the Elder Dragon, they can deal 3 extra damage and increase the Elder Dragon’s Hoard by 1.
When the Elder Dragon’s Operative hits 0, it gains a bonus to all rolls equal to its Hoard.
---Ripped. Passive. When you deal damage, deal 1 extra damage. When you take damage, take 2 extra damage.
---Slotted. Passive. When you deal damage, deal 1 extra damage. When you take damage, take 2 extra damage. If the Elder Dragon’s Hoard was 3 or higher when you ripped this power, take 1 extra damage instead.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I got mine today too. My bonus power:

Slam With the Rest
+2 Tactician
Passive
When you attack an enemy and beat their roll by 8 or more, just set their attacked stat to zero. A shameful display.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Mikan posted:

I should post another monster preview to make your job even harder :twisted: Introduce new mechanics and everything. That generator is amazing though, seriously.
Also, sorry about the books guys. Let me know if you want a replacement and I can send one after all the other backers get their copies. (Halfway through, next shipment should go out soon)
What are you thinking? A fifth power not attached to a stat? Other than something crazy like that I think most things can be handled by the invader's "Rules" section. Feel free to prove me wrong though. (I could use some more invaders. My players have gone through most of the ones in the book already. :v:)

Also, it's not immediately obvious, but I was thinking ahead a bit: It's kind of a pain to use since you have to do it individually for every invader, but you can change the stat names for other future Fortune games. I'm just hoping they don't completely change the rules on me. I'm thinking maybe in the future I could add a "Game System" construct that you can create/select, but for now there's not really any reason to.

I almost lost it when I saw that some powers have different names when they're ripped though. :v: (Which I'm still not handling by the way because :effort:. That Turtle Shell can stay a Turtle Shell.)

As soon as I get some time to clean up the vermin stuff and figure out how Git works, the builder is going here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/laststandeb/

And I should probably ask: How concerned are you about people sharing invader stats from the books? Right now all the data lives in an XML file. But it probably wouldn't be too much effort to encrypt the file if you wanted.

Seriously though, no worries about the book. It doesn't look any different than my other softcover rulebooks. I generally use my tablet at the table anyway. I'm just happy to have my cards. :)

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

ImpactVector posted:

And I should probably ask: How concerned are you about people sharing invader stats from the books? Right now all the data lives in an XML file. But it probably wouldn't be too much effort to encrypt the file if you wanted.

I'm ok with it. Last Stand's a small game and I figure it can only lead to more people checking out the book.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Here's my custom power, since we're sharing:

I Believe I Can Fly
Tactician +2

You gain Flight, as long as you believe you can touch the sky, if you think about it every night and day. Spread your wings and fly away.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My custom power is an unexpected second copy of the book. :shobon:

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Zereth posted:

My custom power is an unexpected second copy of the book. :shobon:

Maybe you misunderstood it, and your custom power is actually "You have every power in the book, simultaneously."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ceetee posted:

Maybe you misunderstood it, and your custom power is actually "You have every power in the book, simultaneously."
The joke is that I pledged for a single copy of the book with no frills.

:thejoke:

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

So I just grabbed this on DriveThru (my whole group is pretty psyched to play), but weirdly the zip they gave me of the card files is missing Threat Analysis System and instead has a second Pistol Shrimp armor card. I re-downloaded it to be sure and yep, same thing.

It's not a big problem since the power is listed perfectly fine in the pdf, just bizarre. :v:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
First pass at the encounter builder is up:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/laststandeb/

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You mind if I link that on the Kickstarter? I think people will get a lot of use out of it, and it'll help iron out any issues.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Mikan posted:

You mind if I link that on the Kickstarter? I think people will get a lot of use out of it, and it'll help iron out any issues.
Sure, if you didn't have any feedback. It's a pretty simple app, so nothing too horrible could go wrong. :v:

e: That probably came off a lot less confident than I am. It should work fine for what it is.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 28, 2013

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's in my hands, and it's perfect. Book came in good shape, with only a tiny ding on the front cover that you don't even notice unless you hold it up to the light, and the cards are mint. And speaking of cards:

QuadCity DJs VS
Disruptor +2
Reaction. When an ally deals damage, they deal +1 damage. They slam, and you jam.

--------------------

Now I am picturing Last Stand: 1980s Hyper-Neon Edition, in which you battle giant insects with your mega-boom-box and and the power of sick freestyle beats.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So for my Box Card I got

Cloaking Field
+2 Operative.
Move. Spend 2 tokens. Remove yourself from the board and place an invisible token in the sector you left. The Director must spend a token to target you with and attack. Any invader can spend 3 tokens as a minor action to return you to the field. Your return at the start of your next turn regardless.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So for my Box Card I got

Cloaking Field
+2 Operative.
Move. Spend 2 tokens. Remove yourself from the board and place an invisible token in the sector you left. The Director must spend a token to target you with and attack. Any invader can spend 3 tokens as a minor action to return you to the field. Your return at the start of your next turn regardless.

Oh hey, that's one of mine! drat you Mikan!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm contemplating doing a Doomed Epic Manchildren-style of thing using Fortune System, and I want them to be able to bet with their very lives.

My current plan is to lift the Death Box rule from Tenra (a status you enable of your own volition that gives bonuses, but means you can die for real in a given scene). Before I did anything, I wanted to see if, y'know, the system designers had any suggestions for something that might be more in keeping with the mechanics as they are.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kestral posted:

It's in my hands, and it's perfect. Book came in good shape, with only a tiny ding on the front cover that you don't even notice unless you hold it up to the light, and the cards are mint. And speaking of cards:

QuadCity DJs VS
Disruptor +2
Reaction. When an ally deals damage, they deal +1 damage. They slam, and you jam.

--------------------

Now I am picturing Last Stand: 1980s Hyper-Neon Edition, in which you battle giant insects with your mega-boom-box and and the power of sick freestyle beats.

This is loving awesome :v:

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Are you supposed to get a new set of armory cards for each Frame you craft, or do they all use the same ones? If they all use the same, how does slotting in Adaptive System, and then switching armors factor into it? Are you just permanently down 1 card when you switch to an armor without that power?

Also. a house rule I have been using, that I thought some other GMs Directors might want to steal. At the end of each session, when players are slotting powers, they are allowed to discard any one of their powers back to the armory deck in order to draw 2 new powers, and choose one of them to keep. Gives more variety to player powers, and also lets them tweak their stats if they wish to. It also helps them get more powers they like, instead of keeping ones they thought they would like during character creation, and never ended up using.

In a similar vein, I also have decided to take a middle ground between the Cold Storage and Permanent Slotting methods listed in the book. Took a page from the Torchlight games, and how they handle Socketting equipment. Powers slotted in the armor are permanently attached to that armor, HOWEVER, you can choose to recover the armor, OR the powers attached to it, by destroying the other.

IE: You have an armor with 3 slotted powers in it. You can destroy all 3 slotted powers, to get the armor back as a 'blank slate' with no slotted powers in it, OR you can destroy the armor, to recover all 3 powers to put onto other armors. However you can't just remove a couple of the slotted powers, and leave the others.

Makes players think a bit before slotting something somewhere, but doesn't make it impossible to recover from a bad choice in powers

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You're only down an Armory card while you have the Adaptive Systems power as an active power you're using.
As for changing out armory cards with a new Frame? Up to the Director and players really. There's no reason you can't use the same set of equipment - Armory cards are generally personality traits and human equipment rather than grafted to the suit (though not always) - and that's a narratively good time to do it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ceetee posted:

Also. a house rule I have been using, that I thought some other GMs Directors might want to steal. At the end of each session, when players are slotting powers, they are allowed to discard any one of their powers back to the armory deck in order to draw 2 new powers, and choose one of them to keep. Gives more variety to player powers, and also lets them tweak their stats if they wish to. It also helps them get more powers they like, instead of keeping ones they thought they would like during character creation, and never ended up using.
Nice. Consider that totally stolen. I have a player who drafted a bunch of stuff he's not really happy with.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm not a hundred that it's finished and I might change a few things up but have a sneak preview of the Monthly. Some info on Or Die Trying, which is what Düngeön Cräwl turned into because a hip-hop inspired fantasy setting sounds cooler than traditional D&D, including an Elder Dragon and a completely new enemy type, as well as the Cyclosa Mech Spider.

I have a few more player options to put in there and probably some more monsters but you guys have been consistently hype for Last Stand so enjoy.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
I assume scene just means 1 encounter, as far as actual combat is concerned? That makes Magic Missile really interesting. Easily one of the most broken powers in the game, but if you actually TRY to abuse it... you aren't gonna be able to use it again for a LONG LONG time. Really neat mechanic.

I also really like the dragon. Was thinking of setting up a Jormungandur style fight, where the players fight the Radioactive Lizard, then when he is defeated, he becomes the Elder Dragon. They are roughly the same size, sector wise, and the only really noticeable difference power-wise is that the lizard attacks with its tail and the dragon doesn't. But since you rip off the tail during the fight, I don't see that being an issue. Could be a neat 'boss battle' for my players I think.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
So my group is going to be starting our first session in the next hour or so, and the director had a question about special tokens on monsters. On PCs, it seems clear than you can spend poison/energy drain/whatever tokens on powers to get rid of them; can monsters do the same, or are monsters stuck with whatever effects are placed on them and all tokens they spend come out of the director's infinite supply?

Is there a FAQ anywhere in case we run across other things we're not sure of?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The Funhaver website has some resources, including a list of special tokens, but I need to expand it more. Once I've got the Monthly finished I'll go through the threads and look for any common questions, collect them in a FAQ.
Monsters are stuck with whatever effects are placed on them, unless they have a power that lets them remove effects. Any tokens they spend are from the Director's infinite supply.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Giant lizards attack!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Finally got to run the first half of an adventure arc for this today and I had a blast. Just ran a basic fire ant combat to ease people into the system and threw in a couple of panicked crowds and an ant mound to keep things interesting. That backfired when they ended up saving both of the crownds somehow, but it was still a good time for everyone. Wouldn't mind getting some critiques on a monster I've ginned up for next session. I'm going to spoiler it because I know at least one of my players has an SA account and has read this thread in the past, but some feedback would definitely be appreciated.

OK, so the second half of this arc is partially modeled after the big setpiece at the end of King Kong. Specifically, I've made Kong into a giant monster and split the battle into two halves. Kong's going to be shaped like so for right now:

code:
[][][]
[]  []
During the first half, the party's going to be flying up the side of a building with experimental jetpack technology to chase after Kong, complete with falling debris and Kong throwing things at them. Once the players either reduce a stat to zero or after three rounds have passed, they'll reach the top and they'll have to take him down. Kong's going to have reduced stats in this phase to simulate damage from the first half, but he'll start back at full health. I'm also going to introduce a flight of bee-planes that circle the tower and dogfight with the players while they're trying to bring Kong down.

For the first half, Kong's stats look like Operative 3/Tactician 4/Leader 6/Disruptor 7. The building'll be a standard 3x4 grid, only to simulate the screen scrolling, I was thinking I'd have the agents take one damage to two stats from their jetpacks misfiring if they're on the bottom row at the end of a round and I'd have everyone move down one sector per round. As far as powers, I thought I'd have something like:

Disruptor:
His Coconut Gun
Ranged, Standard
Make an attack against one agent. If the attack is successful, it deals an extra one damage and knocks the target down the building one sector.
Rip: Ranged, Standard, Spend 1. Make an attack. If it's successful, push the target one sector.
Slot: Collateral 1. Make two ranged attacks. Collateral applies to both attacks.

Tactician:
Punch Out a Window
Minor
Creates a Debris field effect in one sector. Any agent that gets pushed out of this square gets pushed an extra square. The first agent in a sector below this one gets pushed down one Sector.
Rip:

Leader:
The Jungle VIP
Passive
Something to do with movement, maybe have Kong able to move two sectors with a move action. This is by far the one I'm least sure on for right now.

Operative:
Throw a Barrel
Standard, spend three tokens
Kong throws a spiked barrel either left or right from one of the sectors of his body. Any agents caught by the barrel get pushed 1 sector and take two damage.

For the second phase, I've got Kong's stats at 2/3/5/6. As an added twist, I've got four Bee Plane vermin with stats Operative 2/Tactician 5/Leader 2/Disruptor 5 and three HP each. They'll start out in the Open Sky sector (which only the one agent who has actual Flight can reach, the jetpacks everyone else is using just aren't strong enough). As far as powers on these guys, I was thinking

Tactician - Strafing Run, Standard, Move one sector and make an attack on one enemy in that sector.
Rip: Minor, Spend 3 Tokens: Move one sector.
Slot: Wager 2, Standard, move one sector and deal 1 damage to an enemy in that sector. On a 6 or 8, make an attack against an enemy in that sector instead and move one sector after the attack is resolved.

Leader - Coordinated Assault - Successful attacks deal one extra damage for each adjacent Bee Plane.
Rip:
Slot:

They'll just buzz the building until someone manages to blow them out of the sky. Meanwhile, I've got Kong as still the same shape as he was previously, only with the following attacks:

Disruptor:
His Coconut Gun
Ranged, Standard
Make an attack against one agent. If the attack is successful, it deals an extra one damage and knocks the target down the building one sector.
Rip: Ranged, Standard, Spend 1. Make an attack. If it's successful, push the target one sector.
Slot: Collateral 1. Make two ranged attacks. Collateral applies to both attacks.

Leader:
Rampage
Minor, Devour one nearby human (planning on having a randomly occurring field effect where people'll open their windows to see what's happening. Players can either roll a Leadership or Disruptor check to scare them back inside or Kong can eat them). +3 bonus to Kong's next attack.
Rip: ????
Slot: ????

Tactician:
Do Do Do-Do-Do
Standard, Wager 2,
Kong rolls a spiked barrel right from one of his squares. On a 1 or 10 the barrel drops down one sector and changes directions when it reaches the edge of the grid. Barrel travels three sectors in a round, six sectors per round on a 1 or 10. All agents struck take 2 damage.
Rip: Collateral 1. Make an attack against the first target in any direction from the agent.
Slot: ????

Operative:
Barrel Blast
Standard, Spend 2.
Kong travels to the edge of the grid in any direction. He makes an attack against any agent he passes through.
Rip:
Slot:

For the battlefield for this phase, I was thinking something like:

code:
    []
  [][][]
  [][][]
[][][][][]
as a base. It looks thematic, it's a change from the grids, and it'll give a couple of safe zones from Kong's barrel attack.

So what do you guys think? Any changes you'd make? How're the powers looking, and does anyone have any idea if I'm at about the right power level on the ripped and slotted powers? There are also only three players, do you think this'll be a bit much for them? Or am I pulling my punches?

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 3, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

A new shipment of Last Stand books went out/are going out this week, and some of you with card boxes might see a new token type (Fuel tokens) in your custom powers. I included a description of Fuel tokens on the boxes, but let me share it here for everyone too.

Fuel: When you gain an On Fire token, remove one Fuel token and take 2 damage.

Example power:

quote:

Fuel For The Fire
Disruptor +1, Tactician +1
Standard, Melee, Wager 2. Attack an enemy in your sector. On a 1 or 2 you win the wager and they gain that many Fuel tokens.
(When a character with a Fuel token gains an On Fire token, they take 2 damage and lose one Fuel token.)

Like Poison tokens, Fuel tokens are kind of a bad thing but I'm introducing more powers that use them for people who like gimmick builds.

For Fungah!, trying to keep it vague:

Ripped/Slotted powers look about right, for the ones you have. The gimmick you have for the one monster is a good one, in the first fight. I say go with the idea you have for the Leader power.
If you're worried about a fight being too weak or too strong for a player group (and some player groups will handle fights better than others, depending on tactics) start small - save invaders for reinforcements and reserves. If you have a swarm of ants, feel free to throw in another swarm of ants if things seem too easy.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm gonna need playtesters for a new Fortune game very soon. Follow me on G+ if you aren't already since that's where I'll be posting a lot of the info, but I'm also gonna drop the playtest document here in this thread once it's ready.

Playtest is for Or Die Trying, the game of celebrity dungeon crawling. I posted a preview of one of the new mechanics that I might as well include here.

quote:

Morale

-5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5

You add or subtract your Morale from all rolls. It’s party-wide. Morale is an opt-in system, it can be added to any Fortune System game.

When a PC’s stat hits 0, decrease Morale by 1.
When all of a PC’s stats hit 0, decrease Morale by 2.
When the party defeats a regular monster, increase Morale by 1.
When the party defeats a giant monster, increase Morale by 2.

and then of course powers interact with it

Heroism +4

It’s Time To Party
Standard, Melee, Wager 2. Attack an enemy. On a 9 or 10, you win the Wager and increase Morale by 1.

Party Hard
Passive. When Morale is 3 or higher, allies in your sector deal +1 damage.

Wild Child
Dissonance +2, Heroism +2

Like We're Gonna Die Young
Passive. The party gains +2 Morale when you defeat a regular monster, but -2 Morale when one of your stats hits 0.

Animal Comes Alive
Passive. You deal +1 damage when at -1 or lower Morale.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Playtested with the FORTUITOUS CREATOR himself? Sounds rad. Count me in. Gonna be using roll20 or something else? Also, are you going to be doing it strictly playtest to try and grind out and test as many mechanics as possible, or is it going to be an 'actual' campaign?

Also morale looks neat, is it going to replace the 'adrenaline' system that you had posted as a concept on the funhaver site?

Edit: Also it looks like the names of the stats have changed. Weren't they originally going to be the four 'classic' classes? What are they now?

Ceetee fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 14, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Just finished the second half of our first Last Stand adventure. Highlight was easily one agent tossing a car into the air and then another agent with Flight rigging a jetpack to the car and alley-ooping it into King Kong's face. Everyone had an awesome time and we're talking about doing it again soon. Thanks for critiquing the session, Mikan, definitely helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ceetee posted:

Playtested with the FORTUITOUS CREATOR himself? Sounds rad. Count me in. Gonna be using roll20 or something else? Also, are you going to be doing it strictly playtest to try and grind out and test as many mechanics as possible, or is it going to be an 'actual' campaign?

Roll20 most likely, and probably the former. I am obsessive about making sure the mechanics work before I put anything out for sale.

quote:

Also morale looks neat, is it going to replace the 'adrenaline' system that you had posted as a concept on the funhaver site?

Adrenaline still might show up one day. I have a notebook full of unused mechanics like adrenaline and morale and other things that I either haven't found a good home for or haven't been able to make work yet.

quote:

Edit: Also it looks like the names of the stats have changed. Weren't they originally going to be the four 'classic' classes? What are they now?

They actually changed again :kiddo: The more I struggled to write basic, boring D&D the more new ideas I had. Or Die Trying now has a more overt musical influence, I renamed the stats, changed up some of the mechanics.

Oh, to folks who haven't received their Last Stand books yet: I'm still shipping out each week. My next goal is to hit the international backlog, no matter how insane those prices are.

• Locked thread