Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«479 »
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Commando 2D in those screen shots.

We have two players who are allowed to use the babby: Spookykid and TankBoyKen. I don't know how they do so well with such a bad robot but we aren't going to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

NO TROUBLE

If it's not clear, the most important resource in the future is tears (you start each match next to a tear refinery):

denereal visease posted:

On Sloshops Friday, the group I was dropping with ran into some Clan Wolf players around our 3rd or 4th drop. They message us something like: "We are Clan Wolf, we are conducting a trial of position. You are welcome to spectate but please do not shoot, and we will give you a cap victory after it is over." We, of course, oblige and find them setting up their circlejerk around C6 on Frozen City. A couple of our guys mill about through their group, targeting them & getting their loadout info before we all withdraw to settle down & let them have their fun.

While they're demanding we turn ECM 'off', we decide on primary & secondary targets, trying not to telegraph our intentions too much by powering down our assault mechs & not looking directly at any of them. In the middle of their ranks, a cicada & centurion start circling each other, we permit the charade to continue for about 30 seconds before we are overcome with glee the surging of our manly powers.

Their Atlas was down within 5 seconds of us opening fire. Within the next 20 seconds, we've dropped their AC/20 Catapult & two more heavies. The rest of their team is cutdown over the course of the next minute.

We drop against them again 2 matches later. I message them: "We are Clan Wolf, we are conducting a trial of position. You are welcome to spectate but please do not shoot, and we will give you a cap victory after it is over."

EmGooser
Aug 4, 2007

Urban for life

Hilbert Spaceship posted:

Spooky loves his goddamn metal baby.

Some people like the 2D because it can fit an ECM and 3 Streaks... I however still think it needs to be shot out of a Jumpship's main cannon. It would be more useful that way.

Disabled Hitler
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

EmGooser posted:

Some people like the 2D because it can fit an ECM and 3 Streaks... I however still think it needs to be shot out of a Jumpship's main cannon. It would be more useful that way.

Well the most important rule for what mechs to have people bring is what they're best/most comfortable in, so really we should be focusing on what this says about Spookykid as a human being.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Goddamit. Time to switch to scotch.

Thankfully, Jal recently introduced me to Larceny. What usually happens is I start on the bottle and the next thing I know it's a couple of hours later and I've got an extra 4 million C-Bills in my wallet and nipple flamers on my atlas.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Eejit posted:

Just so you know: http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/10/new...s-mark-bourbon/ Going from 45% ABV to 42%. Believe me, I too am dismayed.

From the article:

quote:

Samuels said that "after looking at all possible solutions," the company was reducing alcohol by volume by 3%.

However, it seems likely that alcohol by volume will instead be reduced by three percentage points. Prior to the announced change, Maker's Mark was 45% alcohol by volume, and according to company literature, the bourbon is now 42% alcohol by volume, a reduction of 6.7%.

Is it just me, or is that a silly distinction to make? Are they really harping on the % change versus percentage point change? Who in their right mind would have interpreted the "reduce by 3%" comment as an actual 3%?

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!

armorer posted:

From the article:

Is it just me, or is that a silly distinction to make? Are they really harping on the % change versus percentage point change? Who in their right mind would have interpreted the "reduce by 3%" comment as an actual 3%?

Good thing they didn't say they were going to reduce it by 45%.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

EXCELLENT OP, WOULD SQUAWK AGAIN +++

Seriously get on mumble and come play robots with us we need more goons

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ultraviper posted:

Good thing they didn't say they were going to reduce it by 45%.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this post was intended to make me rethink my position, but it did. Well done.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

DON'T TECHyou teched

8-man groups needs to hurry up and get a maximum tonnage system so I can actually enjoy it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Great Beer posted:

We have two players who are allowed to use the babby: Spookykid and TankBoyKen. I don't know how they do so well with such a bad robot but we aren't going to stop them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rtiOdFHYygM

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy

quote:

So I'm working my way through the Cataphracts and have already finished the Ilya and the 4X. Is there a clear winner out of the other two?

I vote for the 2X with an XL you can almost hit 80kph with tweak and rock a 60dmg alpha.(if you count the lasers)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Metrohunter posted:

8-man groups needs to hurry up and get a maximum tonnage system so I can actually enjoy it.

The last time I tried 8-man groups, we lost about 5 matches in a row and then everybody quit because it wasn't fun.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Smoove posted:

I vote for the 2X with an XL you can almost hit 80kph with tweak and rock a 60dmg alpha.(if you count the lasers)

Take whatever Cataphract can poptart snipe. Be an annoying fucker.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why?! Why?! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market ?!!!

Bubbacub posted:

The last time I tried 8-man groups, we lost about 5 matches in a row and then everybody quit because it wasn't fun.

Eight man drops are weird. I've had nights where I dropped in 8-man slosh ops where everyone was using comedy builds and we consistently rolled everything we ran into all night long, and I've had nights where everyone dropped with completely SERIOUS BUSINESS setups and we still got consistently steamrolled.

The main thing is you have to stay together, call targets effectively, and you need a leader who can make good strategic decisions quickly. Even then, yeah, you'll lose more than you will in 4-mans, but it's a greater challenge with greater rewards. I generally learn more about the game losing 8-mans than I do stomping through 4-mans.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Eejit posted:

I think that's going to be my next Mech. Given how irritating they are on some maps, it's got to be worth it if only to make other people suffer the way I do when trying to shoot them.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Never not squawk.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Today, I got on Mumble for the first time for a couple of matches with goons.. and I ended up playing MWO for four hours. Much fun was had, robots were shot, dirty jokes were made, and pubbies frustrated to the point of tears. All I can say is that I wish I'd gotten around to it earlier.

Thanks a ton to everyone who hung around, you were awesome!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Eejit posted:

Yeah, that's what I did with the 4X and it worked ok. The problem is I get bored sniping after awhile and invariably run in with dual gauss like I'm a splatapault, then die horribly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've finally upgraded my Cent-A to level 5 from the OP's build, and god drat this just got amazing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ask me about moving familiy to England or claim NHS. Can fix marrying cousin no problem. Allah Ackbar!

I should really start playing Mechwarrior again, seems like they added a bunch more mechs and a way for me to squawk at lovely rear end pubbies who believe LRM spamming into a a bubble of warp speed brawlesomes is a good idea.

edit: Am I now correct in reading that somehow the Centurion, the notoriously lovely mech from founders is now somehow better than the lunchback, and the atlas is now better than the awesome?? What the hell!!

Mr. Wedenhart
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.

It's a whole new robot filled world out there.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

With all the constant changes MWO is seeing in new mechs, weapon balance, new gameplay mechanics and everyone researching new techniques the gameplay is rapidly changing. The Cent-A is a badass medium mech because it can unload 3x SRM6 (45 damage) in an instant, doesn't need its arms and is relatively fast (90kph tweaked out) and cheap.
If you aren't shoting robits with WOL you are doing many, many things wrong.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bubbacub posted:

I didn't see this, but we've been hosting quite a few events centered around teaching people how to 8 man. This past Friday's newbird night went pretty well I think, with 5 lances totaling 40 people rocking the 8man queue. I think it was generally 3 oldbirds to 5 newbirds and we did our best to teach general 8man strategy, work on communication skills, and help everyone get better at specific roles.

8man still doesn't get that much play, but with sloshops, thunderdome, and newbird nights I think we're starting to see some improvement. Sorry you had a bad experience, I'd encourage you to try it out a few more times, especially on event nights.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

Man I (Harabec) should probably come back to this game. I don't think I've played in about 2 months. The Stalker was brand new when last I played. Then again I've probably been purged at this point.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Eejit posted:

I didn't see this, but we've been hosting quite a few events centered around teaching people how to 8 man. This past Friday's newbird night went pretty well I think, with 5 lances totaling 40 people rocking the 8man queue. I think it was generally 3 oldbirds to 5 newbirds and we did our best to teach general 8man strategy, work on communication skills, and help everyone get better at specific roles.

8man still doesn't get that much play, but with sloshops, thunderdome, and newbird nights I think we're starting to see some improvement. Sorry you had a bad experience, I'd encourage you to try it out a few more times, especially on event nights.

The main issue with 8 mans at the moment is there's loads of teams that just run nothing lighter than a catapult. We got about four wins on Friday while completely drunk by running all trial jenners and running for the cap. Because they were all tooled up with slow gauss and ppc boats they had no chance to get back and stop us. It wasn't very interesting to play, but it was better than getting repeatedly ppc pop tarted and dismantled. And it made the pubbies mad.

Incidentally, I'm not saying people shouldn't run nothing but ppc sniper teams, I'm just saying that for me it's boring and that's why I skip out on 8 mans if we drop twice and that's all we run into. I'm hoping that when drop weights show up it'll lessen this sort of thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

We haven't had any inactivity purges, and I doubt we will. There's no point without CW to need people to stay active.

e: ALSO KDR MISSES YOU HARABEC.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

OptimusWang posted:

Yeah, that's what I did with the 4X and it worked ok. The problem is I get bored sniping after awhile and invariably run in with dual gauss like I'm a splatapault, then die horribly.

I always get bored and do this. The key is you follow an Assault on your team then dual guass everything that's not paying attention to you in the back.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Eejit posted:

Cataphract 3D is easily the best poptart mech at the moment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Super 3 posted:

I always get bored and do this. The key is you follow an Assault on your team then dual guass everything that's not paying attention to you in the back.

This is also how you play the cent A. Hide behind atlas, await opportunity,murder things.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,
wait for it, wait for it...

After a x3 bonus weekend on WOT suffering through idiot pubs there I am ready for a long awaited break from tanks before my head explodes. It's time for a wipe / reinstall and give robots some game time. Do people still nerd rage when they see a blatant violation to their canon and ridiculously named Kerensky's appear from the edges of the periphery tainting their game experience?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Do people still nerd rage when they see a blatant violation to their canon and ridiculously named Kerensky's appear from the edges of the periphery tainting their game experience?

Does a pubbie still poo poo LRMs in the woods?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

demonR6 posted:

After a x3 bonus weekend on WOT suffering through idiot pubs there I am ready for a long awaited break from tanks before my head explodes. It's time for a wipe / reinstall and give robots some game time. Do people still nerd rage when they see a blatant violation to their canon and ridiculously named Kerensky's appear from the edges of the periphery tainting their game experience?

Not as much as they did in closed beta. But, yes. And a lot of people still ragequit or taunt after we start squawking, which is as amusing as always.

Ochn0e
Sep 2, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Does a pubbie still poo poo LRMs in the woods?

Same old. They also have the weirdest builds. CTF-4x 4x AC/2 anyone ?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

What the hell is a Kerensky? I get that it's someone from the BattleTech canon, but what does it mean in the context of this thread?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Fil5000 posted:

The main issue with 8 mans at the moment is there's loads of teams that just run nothing lighter than a catapult. We got about four wins on Friday while completely drunk by running all trial jenners and running for the cap. Because they were all tooled up with slow gauss and ppc boats they had no chance to get back and stop us. It wasn't very interesting to play, but it was better than getting repeatedly ppc pop tarted and dismantled. And it made the pubbies mad.

Incidentally, I'm not saying people shouldn't run nothing but ppc sniper teams, I'm just saying that for me it's boring and that's why I skip out on 8 mans if we drop twice and that's all we run into. I'm hoping that when drop weights show up it'll lessen this sort of thing.

Yeah, there's no arguing that 8-man can be annoying. I too dislike that the sniper meta is so solid and have been hoping for weight-limited drops pretty much since they split into the 4man and 8man queues as it would pretty much fix most of my major complaints. And while I actually mostly play 4man because it's just fun, 8man does have the potential to be enjoyable as well. I guess I'm just saying 8man is still fun once in a while, but I don't blame people (including myself) for mostly playing 4man.

(BTW I was Erwin Rommel Kerensky that fateful day.)

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

What the hell is a Kerensky? I get that it's someone from the BattleTech canon, but what does it mean in the context of this thread?

A lot of us have gimmick accounts with silly names in front of the "blood name" or whatever the poo poo Kerensky is.

Ochn0e
Sep 2, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

Kerensky is the founder of the clans and every serious wannabe has Kerensky as a name. It's a bloodname for the clans and only the strongest, brightest and ....you know.

WoL has Kerensky Nights, with alt accounts and funny Kerensky names, like "Barack Hussein Kerensky" or "Sailor Moon Kerensky". Take a trial mech and hunt pubbies as a big Kerensky family.

Fil5000 has a few vids on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHQTK7S8-PQ

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ANAmal.net posted:

The Kerensky family line is that of the guy who "founded" the Clans and their retarded idea system. To Clanners and pubbies, they're all basically THE EMPEROR except not immortal, and I guess it wasn't really the Emperor's fault that the Imperium has a retarded system of government. The Keresnkys? Yeah, they legitimately planned to breed a bunch of genetic warriors, turn war into a game, and then somehow magically conquer the entire Inner Sphere despite being outnumbered like 400 to 1. At which point they would be hailed as saviors, because they're the true saviors of the Inner Sphere.

The Kerenskys are the spergs of the already spergy Clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

We got about four wins on Friday while completely drunk by running all trial jenners and running for the cap. Because they were all tooled up with slow gauss and ppc boats they had no chance to get back and stop us. It wasn't very interesting to play, but it was better than getting repeatedly ppc pop tarted and dismantled. And it made the pubbies mad.

Here's what happens when some cocks get drunk.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx...es#.URlWDGj0zlg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx...es#.URlWPmj0zlg

«479 »