Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«479 »
Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

Looks like we've lost the Mumble server. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 29, 2009

Got rid of the penal colony, huh.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,
wait for it, wait for it...

santanotreal posted:

Pretty sure that the point being made is you need to be a real goon and actually post enough to be part of SA community, rather than just trying to join MWO. If you can't make a post more often than 3 out of 10 days in an 8 month period, you probably haven't accomplished that.

Post count won't necessarily save you if you are a complete douchenozzle that no one wants around either, don't forget that. If you spend your time arguing with people at every opportunity you won't win anyone over.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

So I have to grind out the catapult c4 to elite my cats. Talking to a buddy he was all about LRM boating a cat. So I figured, why not, it'll be fun they said, you can get ridiculous damage for no work they said..

They loving lied to me! I tried it today for 2 matches, bought Artemis, and endo for the C4, and I couldn't bring my damage up above 200.

After those matches immediately put in SRM6's and was posting decent numbers. Artemis costs money to take off so I guess I'm rolling with Artemis SRM.

santanotreal
Nov 12, 2012

KGBAgent185 posted:

So I have to grind out the catapult c4 to elite my cats. Talking to a buddy he was all about LRM boating a cat. So I figured, why not, it'll be fun they said, you can get ridiculous damage for no work they said..

They loving lied to me! I tried it today for 2 matches, bought Artemis, and endo for the C4, and I couldn't bring my damage up above 200.

After those matches immediately put in SRM6's and was posting decent numbers. Artemis costs money to take off so I guess I'm rolling with Artemis SRM.

You won't notice a huge difference, but artemis on SRMs can be helpful at long ranges, especially if you're not at optimal distances for the missiles to group nicely.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KGBAgent185 posted:

Is your a friend a pubbie? 200 damage might actually be a lot for a pubbie to get on a consistant basis. Dont grind, play with goons, put retarded nonsense on your mechs that give you a laugh and you still will out dps pubbies. Point is pubbies are dumb. Dont listen to pubbies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why?! Why?! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market ?!!!

KGBAgent185 posted:

LRM boating is only worth it if half your team is organized around it, and even then it probably still sucks, depending. Don't do it.

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.

demonR6 posted:

If you spend your time arguing with people at every opportunity you won't win anyone over.

I'm told to lurk then I'm told I'm not part of the community because I'm not posting enough. I'm not arguing; I'm giving you my point of view.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

devnulll posted:

I'm told to lurk then I'm told I'm not part of the community because I'm not posting enough. I'm not arguing; I'm giving you my point of view.

You're trying too hard. It's more of a zen thing. If you focus on the requirements, you see the parts that don't make sense and you question them. If you find your inner goon and disregard the requirements, you'll find it easier to be accepted.

Rationality is an illusion of the mind!

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Hey is there any provision for bringing guests into mumble?

I ask because I have s non-goon mate I play with when no goons are around and we don't really have anything for voice comms.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

devnulll posted:

I'm a horrible poster with lots of bans, but they let me in!

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love

Roll LRM boat all day.

Get yelled at by teammates all day.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

devnulll posted:

Shut up before people remember you.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

kingcom posted:

Is your a friend a pubbie? 200 damage might actually be a lot for a pubbie to get on a consistant basis. Dont grind, play with goons, put retarded nonsense on your mechs that give you a laugh and you still will out dps pubbies. Point is pubbies are dumb. Dont listen to pubbies.

I play with goons (Drowning Rabbit) but I listened to the demon in my ear this once. I only made goons play with it for 2 matches before retrofitting it to a make shift splat a pult.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Remora posted:

This is probably the best advice but it's only a matter of time until he manages to Samue4 himself.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

devnulll posted:

Only a spy would continue to post about how he's not getting in fast enough.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy

Remora posted:

Not like anyone with search upgrade can't check his rap sheet.

It's really hard to not get along playing video games drinking on voice chat, though I've definitely met a handful of spergs over the years. But I could still count on both hands how many Goons I really couldn't stand since 07. Or at least was not inebriated enough to ignore.

LRMs can be fun but boating gets old quick. I enjoy slapping a couple racks on the DDC and play right outside the minimum range.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

KGBAgent185 posted:

I play with goons (Drowning Rabbit) but I listened to the demon in my ear this once. I only made goons play with it for 2 matches before retrofitting it to a make shift splat a pult.

I pub'd with my founders cat lrm boat and did alright. Lots of damage and assists but no kills, but raining a flight of lrm's into the side of a hill or building got old fast.

EmGooser
Aug 4, 2007

Urban for life

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

LRM boating is only worth it if half your team is organized around it, and even then it probably still sucks, depending. Don't do it.

With my stalker and a spotter or two I have pull quite a few 1000+ damage games. Before you ask, it was after ECM was patched in.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Okay which one of you is versoth

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

Thinking about taking the plunge based on the information provided in this thread. What is the class balance like though? Do most matches see a variety of classes represented?

SerCypher
May 9, 2006

Everything has gone horribly wrong

I finally started playing, and holy poo poo this game is a blast. Had a bit of a rocky start playing with pubs, but as soon as some goons took me under their wing everything became amazing.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

Thinking about taking the plunge based on the information provided in this thread. What is the class balance like though? Do most matches see a variety of classes represented?

Rounds are between two teams of 8 mechs each. Mechs are divided into 4 weight classes, and if you are playing solo or in 4-man drops, each team will have the same number of each class. For example, if your team is 1 assault, 3 heavies, 2 mediums, 2 lights, the enemy team will have an identical class distribution.

There is no class matching in 8-man drops, however.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

Fred Dawes posted:

Rounds are between two teams of 8 mechs each. Mechs are divided into 4 weight classes, and if you are playing solo or in 4-man drops, each team will have the same number of each class. For example, if your team is 1 assault, 3 heavies, 2 mediums, 2 lights, the enemy team will have an identical class distribution.

There is no class matching in 8-man drops, however.

Thanks for that. Do any of the classes seem over-powered or is the balance about right?

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love

They don't feel outright overpowered, although some classes tend to fare better (my poor Catapult...). Expect to see a ton of Hunchbacks and Atlases.

Pringlescan4
Jul 6, 2006

Oh hey I wrote a thing. http://themittani.com/features/top-...munity-projects
If you're new check it out it gives you a couple of good resources you should know about.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

What do you mean by "class balance"? The only class you see is the weight class which they have 4: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault. You get matched up in regular games with the same weight class. In 8-man premade drops, there is no weight balance.

The classes in this game doesn't mean like classes in other games. The weight class only serves as a rough outline on how much crap (weapons, armor, engine, etc) your mech can carry. What *role* you want to play as is up to you. You want to be Light mech killer? Use Raven 3L or Commando 2D (Light mechs) or Centurion D (Medium mech) or A1 Streakcat (Heavy mech). You want to be long range sniper? All weight classes could fit into this, depending on how much firepower and mobility you're aiming for. You want to be short range brawler? Most mechs could do this with varying effectiveness.

This is not a class-based game where you see a mech variant and you immediately know what it's supposed to do. Instead you have to read its weapon load-out.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

wid posted:

What do you mean by "class balance"? The only class you see is the weight class which they have 4: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault. You get matched up in regular games with the same weight class. In 8-man premade drops, there is no weight balance.

The classes in this game doesn't mean like classes in other games. The weight class only serves as a rough outline on how much crap (weapons, armor, engine, etc) your mech can carry. What *role* you want to play as is up to you. You want to be Light mech killer? Use Raven 3L or Commando 2D (Light mechs) or Centurion D (Medium mech) or A1 Streakcat (Heavy mech). You want to be long range sniper? All weight classes could fit into this, depending on how much firepower and mobility you're aiming for. You want to be short range brawler? Most mechs could do this with varying effectiveness.

This is not a class-based game where you see a mech variant and you immediately know what it's supposed to do. Instead you have to read its weapon load-out.

Ah, I'm with you now. That sounds like it offers a wealth of possibilities as far as how you fit out your mech and the purpose it is to fill, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why?! Why?! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market ?!!!

I'm having yet another strange graphics issue.

For some unknown reason my FPS has started dropping down to the 10-20 FPS range as soon as the matches get started -- before I'd always run in the 30+ range. It's consistent, every match. It doesn't start out low, it just goes there as soon as the start sequence starts rolling and/or mechs start moving around on my screen.

Any thoughts what might be causing this? The "upside" is that the heat problems I'd been having seem to have completely gone away -- my GPU temp isn't going over 50 degrees or so.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Youve checked your graphics settings right? The last patch reset mine to Medium. Maybe yours got turned up if you were getting such low FPS before. Also make sure vsync is off. I think thats its new default now but .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Youve checked your graphics settings right? The last patch reset mine to Medium. Maybe yours got turned up if you were getting such low FPS before. Also make sure vsync is off. I think thats its new default now but .

Yeah, I'm actually running the NVIDIA "optimization" thing that automatically sets all the settings to minimum. And I double checked and made sure.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

wid posted:

You want to be Light mech killer? Use Raven 3L or Commando 2D (Light mechs)

This is a lie, do not ever use a Commando. All metal babbies must die.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God, I love when light mechs (especially metal babbies) get cocky and get up in my Centurion's poo poo with my 3 SRM's that they totally do not see coming. I can usually take down a huge chunk of health or completely disable limbs in one well-placed shot.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

If u a baller, holla!

wid posted:

There is some pretty bad and outdated advice in this post and you probably shouldn't read it.

Just get your rear end into WoL and enjoy our extensive wiki resources, hang out in Jabber for the bleeding edge to-the-minute developments and mostly, shoot robit with chill bros.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Don Dongington posted:

There is some pretty bad and outdated advice in this post and you probably shouldn't read it.

shoot robit with chill bros.

Yes, this. You will learn tons by playing with goons. Namely, you will learn to not hate the game for all the frustration that pubbing is and you will get eddicated by the finest minds in the Inner Sphere.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

I'm trying to join WoL ahead of downloading the game. My SA account qualifies, but I'm asked to follow a link to an EVE vCode generator, which asks me for my EVE login. I've never played EVE, do I need to have an EVE account in order to register with WoL?

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.

I'm trying to join WoL ahead of downloading the game. My SA account qualifies, but I'm asked to follow a link to an EVE vCode generator, which asks me for my EVE login. I've never played EVE, do I need to have an EVE account in order to register with WoL?

Your SA account needs north of 100 posts and six months to qualify.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

devnulll posted:

Your SA account needs north of 100 posts and six months to qualify.

Thanks for the clarification, I've been a long time lurker without posting much. Is there a way to view how many posts you have contributed, or do you need one of the forum upgrades for that?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Smoove posted:

Never not Squawk, never not post.

No screenshots?

Nope, was too worn out to even think about it, plus the laughing was kind of distracting. If I ever manage it again, I'll see what I can do. It happened on Caustic in a Stalker if that is any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

try reloading the page or starting over. I ran into the same thing after the vilerat memorial screen, waited a week and then was able to join fine.

«479 »