Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«479 »
roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

My advice to new people is to buy a Cent-A and fill it with SRM's. After you get the hang of that playstyle if you want to go faster and be sneaky pick up a Raven-3L and learn to scout. If you want to do more damage get a DDC and set it up to brawl. After that you'll have poo poo figured out to the point where you can make your own decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

I've seen shit that will turn you grey...

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

Thanks for the clarification, I've been a long time lurker without posting much. Is there a way to view how many posts you have contributed, or do you need one of the forum upgrades for that?

Look at your forums profile, it displays things like post count with a breakdown of posts per day etc.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

On occasion the registration page will incorrectly redirect you, so you may have to refresh the page or clear cookies or something to get it to go where it is supposed to.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

I'm trying to join WoL ahead of downloading the game. My SA account qualifies, but I'm asked to follow a link to an EVE vCode generator, which asks me for my EVE login. I've never played EVE, do I need to have an EVE account in order to register with WoL?

I had the same issue - for some reason Chrome liked to redirect me to the EVE login thingie. Try a different browser, Firefox worked for me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

I know its a lot of words, but really, for real, read the entire 'how to join' section. Most of the frequently asked questions are answered there.

e: Also never forget that is a thing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

roymorrison posted:

My advice to new people is to buy a Cent-A and fill it with SRM's. After you get the hang of that playstyle if you want to go faster and be sneaky pick up a Raven-3L and learn to scout. If you want to do more damage get a DDC and set it up to brawl. After that you'll have poo poo figured out to the point where you can make your own decisions.

Never not cent. Seriously, the Cent A is some of the most fun you can have in this game if you learn how to use it right. The game is overstuffed with heavies and assaults right now, so being able to do 90kph, outmanoeuvre those big bastards and remain 100% effective with no arms and one side torso gone is really useful. Here's hoping the trebuchet is as much fun.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

^^^ I'm excited to have Splattachets running around at 90KPH or w/e.

The Cent-9A is a great 'mech to pilot, but it has a specific playstyle that requires you know what you're doing. You're tough and can popsicle like a beast, but if you run into the brawl like an Atlas you'll get stomped. The Hunch-SP is still a fantastic start mech simply because of how versatile it is, and is definitely worth taking while you are learning the ropes.

Interestingly, it seems pubbie spais found this thread faster than most WoL goons knew it existed. If it isn't clear and you're confused about getting into WoL, here is how it works. Goons like playing with Goons. This is because if you can hang around these forums, post like someone who isn't functionally retarded, and have a good sense of humor, you will get along well with other goons. It is a filtering mechanism. The idea is that people not join these forums just to win at robots, but rather to coincidentally find out, after already having been around here for a while, that other members play gundams.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Don Dongington posted:

Look at your forums profile, it displays things like post count with a breakdown of posts per day etc.

For what it's worth, I have been a member for over 6 months, no bans or probations, and have over 200 posts. I get the same error as these guys. It happens on all the latest versions of all major browsers on PC, OSX, and Ubuntu. (I am a programmer, I figured I'd do some browser testing since there is that "Don't use chrome" warning in the OP...) As far as I can tell, there is either a bug or some other requirement beyond 6 months and over 100 posts. I will keep trying it once a week or so to see if it works. Eventually if it still doesn't let me in I will make a bigger fuss, but for now I make do with playing on the NA teamspeak server.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ok, first time running the Raven 3L... I am in love. Only at Newbird #1 and my first game involved me killing a dumbarse Awesome, and coring the gently caress out of a Stalker and 2 Ravens for my team to kill. New OP 'Mech builds confirmed for finest kind. It was also a nice surprise having a Jenner backing me up while racing around... one with, I think, an LRM-15/20 in the centre torso.

BULBASAUR posted:

e: Also never forget that is a thing

Correct syntax to use it in-

"What the hell, I was behind a building and those LRM's still hit me, they clipped straight through!"
""

It's kinda like except instead of hilariously bad luck with the RNG, it's incompetence inexperience due to this being their first AAA title. I say this with the utmost trust that they are doing their best, parts are still somewhat broken but it's bloody good fun anyway.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life

armorer posted:

For what it's worth, I have been a member for over 6 months, no bans or probations, and have over 200 posts. I get the same error as these guys. It happens on all the latest versions of all major browsers on PC, OSX, and Ubuntu. (I am a programmer, I figured I'd do some browser testing since there is that "Don't use chrome" warning in the OP...) As far as I can tell, there is either a bug or some other requirement beyond 6 months and over 100 posts. I will keep trying it once a week or so to see if it works. Eventually if it still doesn't let me in I will make a bigger fuss, but for now I make do with playing on the NA teamspeak server.

I'm still at less than 200 posts, but I didn't have any issues like those a while back. Though there might have been some changes to the backend. But all required information is still in the OP.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

Prawned posted:

^^^ I'm excited to have Splattachets running around at 90KPH or w/e.

The Cent-9A is a great 'mech to pilot, but it has a specific playstyle that requires you know what you're doing. You're tough and can popsicle like a beast, but if you run into the brawl like an Atlas you'll get stomped. The Hunch-SP is still a fantastic start mech simply because of how versatile it is, and is definitely worth taking while you are learning the ropes.

Interestingly, it seems pubbie spais found this thread faster than most WoL goons knew it existed. If it isn't clear and you're confused about getting into WoL, here is how it works. Goons like playing with Goons. This is because if you can hang around these forums, post like someone who isn't functionally retarded, and have a good sense of humor, you will get along well with other goons. It is a filtering mechanism. The idea is that people not join these forums just to win at robots, but rather to coincidentally find out, after already having been around here for a while, that other members play gundams.

Just to reitterate this thought, when people tell you to lurk, it's because you're spewing mental diarhea. When you post coherently, people don't tell you to lurk more. Hell, I probably spit out 100 posts a week just because I have nothing better to do at work. That being said, awesome op. Now I don't have to go to the wiki every time I want to look up a build. FYI, pubbing the cent-a will get you dead super fast since all the pubbies lrm and it doesn't have an ECM. Finally got my rig rebuilt over the weekend, and got windows reinstalled last night. A quick warning for anyone trying to dual boot win 7 and 8. Win 8 loving eats your previous win7 install even if it is on a different drive. I installed 8 over the weekend then realized it was an enterprise disk so my key wouldn't work, and I couldn't go back to my win7 install. QQ. Win8 is surprisingly fast when paired with a brand new system and giant SSD Also, I'll be getting my 6970s back from RMA this week, so hopefully I'll finally get my loving 30" surround going. gently caress nvidia and their surround drivers. poo poo don't work unless you have 3 exactly identical monitors. They drat near have to come off the assembly line together.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

devnulll posted:

Your SA account needs north of 100 posts and six months to qualify.

It's less about that stuff and more about not being a dirty J4G.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

FYI, pubbing the cent-a will get you dead super fast since all the pubbies lrm and it doesn't have an ECM.

Nonsense. Hide behind buildings or Atlases and you're golden. Seriously, do not underestimate the value of using an assault as cover until you get near enough to start flanking something. Atlases are loving HUGE, and if you're behind one in a Cent then it'll eat all the missiles and keep you pristine. Plus, you know, people will shoot at the Atlas because it's an Atlas.

EmGooser
Aug 4, 2007

Urban for life

Paingod556 posted:

It's kinda like except instead of hilariously bad luck with the RNG, it's incompetence inexperience due to this being their first AAA title. I say this with the utmost trust that they are doing their best, parts are still somewhat broken but it's bloody good fun anyway.

I have to agree, they have only been working on this application a little under 2 years. I have been playing it from closed beta and every decision seems to have some solid logic behind it, though maybe not ending with the expected result.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life

Fil5000 posted:

Nonsense. Hide behind buildings or Atlases and you're golden. Seriously, do not underestimate the value of using an assault as cover until you get near enough to start flanking something. Atlases are loving HUGE, and if you're behind one in a Cent then it'll eat all the missiles and keep you pristine. Plus, you know, people will shoot at the Atlas because it's an Atlas.

This. One should always try to get the most out of ones own pubbies, so use them as ablative armor and hope that they didn't remove ALL armor to fit more Gunz LRMs.
Even though never not go fast is a thing, you should learn that there are times to never not go full throttle. It might be a painful experience at first, but it is quite healthy to not be the spearhead of an assault, which only has YOU as the participant.

P.S.
Fil5000 is going to be #1 Poster of this thread. Calling it now .

EDIT
If not in quantity, than he'll be it in quality.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

This. One should always try to get the most out of ones own pubbies, so use them as ablative armor and hope that they didn't remove ALL armor to fit more Gunz LRMs.
Even though never not go fast is a thing, you should learn that there are times to never not go full throttle. It might be a painful experience at first, but it is quite healthy to not be the spearhead of an assault, which only has YOU as the participant.

P.S.
Fil5000 is going to be #1 Poster of this thread. Calling it now .

EDIT
If not in quantity, than he'll be it in quality.

Dear J4G types: Ken is a J4G but he is not a bad. Please make notes and be like him.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe this thread I will relax my posting volume and let someone else be top posting goon.

I knew this would never happen.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/mi...hreadid=3533265

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid

Tank Boy Ken is a J4G? gently caress I didn't even realise.

...and it's even there in his avatar message. This might go some way to explaining why I can never see targets when I'm trying to snipe. I'm blind as a loving bat.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,
wait for it, wait for it...

veedubfreak posted:

gently caress nvidia and their surround drivers. poo poo don't work unless you have 3 exactly identical monitors. They drat near have to come off the assembly line together.

Not sure what issues you are having man. I have three 24's, two are same model bought at the same time and the third is my original 24 which is a different manufacturer. I have no issues with the nVidia surround at all. My one complaint is that once you enable surround and you need to disable it like I do when I work from home and have to hook up my laptop and use one of the monitors it is a loving pain in the rear end. Disabling surround also disables two of the monitors leaving you with a single monitor setup and it is never the same so one day the left monitor is enabled, the next time around it is the right monitor. This forces you to go through the nVidia control panel to enable the two you need. In that sense, yes, it sucks hot donkey balls but I can use surround otherwise to enjoy 5760 x 1080 or whatever the hell resolution I end up with after bezel correction.

It does run very well and I have no complaints other than that. Performance is really good too even at that resolution if you have a good machine. I get 60 frames at that resolution with med-high settings in game. Do you completely remove the nVidia drivers with extreme prejudice and clean thoroughly when you upgrade to the latest version, just curious.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

demonR6 posted:

Not sure what issues you are having man. I have three 24's, two are same model bought at the same time and the third is my original 24 which is a different manufacturer. I have no issues with the nVidia surround at all. My one complaint is that once you enable surround and you need to disable it like I do when I work from home and have to hook up my laptop and use one of the monitors it is a loving pain in the rear end. Disabling surround also disables two of the monitors leaving you with a single monitor setup and it is never the same so one day the left monitor is enabled, the next time around it is the right monitor. This forces you to go through the nVidia control panel to enable the two you need. In that sense, yes, it sucks hot donkey balls but I can use surround otherwise to enjoy 5760 x 1080 or whatever the hell resolution I end up with after bezel correction.

It does run very well and I have no complaints other than that. Performance is really good too even at that resolution if you have a good machine. I get 60 frames at that resolution with med-high settings in game. Do you completely remove the nVidia drivers with extreme prejudice and clean thoroughly when you upgrade to the latest version, just curious.

The on and off part I have read about being a complete bitch to deal with, but my problem lies in the fact that I have 2 dells and 1 hp. Apparently the hp has the opposite sync polarity as the dells. And my dells are 2 different models. All 3 monitors are 2560x1600 60hz but when I try to span them, the drivers tell me to gently caress off. Had I known the drivers for surround were so lovely compared to eyefinity I probably would not have bought the 690, but oh well. I'm just gonna go back to the crossfired 6970s and wait out the 8000 series cards.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Well poo poo. I should have spent that time writing articles.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Tank Boy Ken is a J4G? gently caress I didn't even realise.

...and it's even there in his avatar message. This might go some way to explaining why I can never see targets when I'm trying to snipe. I'm blind as a loving bat.
He even has his own team.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,

veedubfreak posted:

The on and off part I have read about being a complete bitch to deal with, but my problem lies in the fact that I have 2 dells and 1 hp. Apparently the hp has the opposite sync polarity as the dells. And my dells are 2 different models. All 3 monitors are 2560x1600 60hz but when I try to span them, the drivers tell me to gently caress off. Had I known the drivers for surround were so lovely compared to eyefinity I probably would not have bought the 690, but oh well. I'm just gonna go back to the crossfired 6970s and wait out the 8000 series cards.

You sir have the perfect loving storm of monitors connected to your computer. I thought not having one of the refresh rates between my Samsung and Acer monitors was bad you come along and post this. drat shame too because that 690 is a sweet card. I push my three on a 660Ti with headroom to spare. I got lucky and sold my three 22's only coming out of pocket $75 when I bumped up to 24's.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Congratulation Fil5000, you sit atop a throne of mountain dew cans, pizza boxes, and Anastasia Kerensky fanfic

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

And we all know fil loves his fanfic.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

demonR6 posted:

You sir have the perfect loving storm of monitors connected to your computer. I thought not having one of the refresh rates between my Samsung and Acer monitors was bad you come along and post this. drat shame too because that 690 is a sweet card. I push my three on a 660Ti with headroom to spare. I got lucky and sold my three 22's only coming out of pocket $75 when I bumped up to 24's.

How powerful of a card would you need to run MWO with 3x 1920x1080 or 3x 1600x900? I just ordered a 7870 to replace my old 5750 and was considering picking up a 27" for it, but three of these might be fun too if the card has the juice to push it on high settings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24009314-L0G

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,

OptimusWang posted:

How powerful of a card would you need to run MWO with 3x 1920x1080 or 3x 1600x900? I just ordered a 7870 to replace my old 5750 and was considering picking up a 27" for it, but three of these might be fun too if the card has the juice to push it on high settings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24009314-L0G

I had it running on single a 550 Ti pushing all three 24" monitors with the game at medium settings 5760 x 1080 and the game was not nearly as optimized then as it is now allowing me to run it at higher settings on the current 660 Ti. Also during beta I was one of the guys on the MWO forums constantly tweaking the user.cfg file squeezing as much as I could from it. I have not played in a couple of months but you can read around, the performance is much improved now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

demonR6 posted:

The brand new dell I got has a bright pixel, so I have a new one coming this week. I'm going to test it with 2 u3011s and my u3008 and see if the card plays nice with that set up. It'll be interesting to see, but in the end I think I'm just going to use my 6970 crossfire set up until the 8000 series come out. I originally bought the 6970s to run 3 23" samsungs and it did what it was supposed to, but in the end I didn't like the 16x9 ratio of the monitors, or that they were tn vs my 30" ips, so I went back to the 30" and single monitor. I was able to snag the hp 30" from work when it was going to be recycled, so I bought a third 30" monitor. This all happened after I had bought the 690. Had I done a little more research I'd have bought a 7970 and not had the headache of the 690, but at the time I wasn't planning on doing surround.

E: the 7970 will run pretty much anything you want.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Gimme a minute,
not that much longer,

veedubfreak posted:

The brand new dell I got has a bright pixel, so I have a new one coming this week. I'm going to test it with 2 u3011s and my u3008 and see if the card plays nice with that set up. It'll be interesting to see, but in the end I think I'm just going to use my 6970 crossfire set up until the 8000 series come out. I originally bought the 6970s to run 3 23" samsungs and it did what it was supposed to, but in the end I didn't like the 16x9 ratio of the monitors, or that they were tn vs my 30" ips, so I went back to the 30" and single monitor. I was able to snag the hp 30" from work when it was going to be recycled, so I bought a third 30" monitor. This all happened after I had bought the 690. Had I done a little more research I'd have bought a 7970 and not had the headache of the 690, but at the time I wasn't planning on doing surround.

E: the 7970 will run pretty much anything you want.

The 7970 would have done the trick all right but drat they are pricey.

starkebn
May 18, 2004
!

Can you guys please take it to SHSC

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

why wont this sodding game update i wanna shoot people with my dual ac20 ugh.

Does anybody know what they're adding this update or is it just maintenance?

also do I have enough posts to join the mumble server yet

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Mugsbaloney posted:

sorry there's a 3+ probation and at least one MWO kerensky ban requirement to join mumble

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

why wont this sodding game update i wanna shoot people with my dual ac20 ugh.

Does anybody know what they're adding this update or is it just maintenance?

I think it's just maintenance and maybe some small tweak.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

MadBimber posted:

sorry there's a 3+ probation and at least one MWO kerensky ban requirement to join mumble

Kerensky drops need to happen. Never not piss off roleplaying pubbies.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Mugsbaloney posted:

I will vouch for you but only if you sing us a song and if it's good (a good song and good signing). Note that I may or may not have any say in the matter to begin with.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

What's the rule for Kerensky accounts. The most offensive name you can think of with Kerensky at the end? I wonder if Osama Bin Kerensky is taken.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Office Thug posted:

I will vouch for you but only if you sing us a song and if it's good (a good song and good signing). Note that I may or may not have any say in the matter to begin with.

Ignore this poster, he is clearly a recent J4G himself, as he still has the STUPID NEWBIE avatar.

Actually, I'm impressed that you still have that avatar.

santanotreal
Nov 12, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

What's the rule for Kerensky accounts. The most offensive name you can think of with Kerensky at the end? I wonder if Osama Bin Kerensky is taken.

Not necessarily offensive, but ridiculous in the least.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if it wasn't. Check the credit reel here for ones that are taken and to give you a good idea of what you should pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHQTK7S8-PQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

santanotreal posted:

Not necessarily offensive, but ridiculous in the least.

Someone make Luke SkywalKerensky. Do it.

«479 »