Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rebecca ‎Ivana Miličević in that hat... :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all
Premature S3 episode ranking (my gut feeling while filming, no plot spoilers or anything close, [hopefully obviously since I'm under NDA's]):

303 >>> best of s2 > best of s1 > 301 = 302 >>> 304... basically episode 3 is crazy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Banshee is going to turn into a warzone.

Surreal Windmill fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 3, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh when is this coming back.

Drivel on TV right now. DRIVEL

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all

life is killing me posted:

Ugh when is this coming back.

Drivel on TV right now. DRIVEL

I'm working as fast as I can!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Surreal Windmill posted:

I'm working as fast as I can!

I believe you. Now back to it, or it's the cat o' nine again.

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wrapped 305 and 306 today.

Edit: err yesterda- nope today, stupid schedule.

So

Many

Squibs.

;)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So loving hype for season 3 :flashfap:

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Surreal Windmill posted:

Wrapped 305 and 306 today.

Edit: err yesterda- nope today, stupid schedule.

So

Many

Squibs.

;)

Could you please ask the music guys to have less tunes during the fights please? Bgm during intense violence is always a way of making the intense violence less intense.

It's like cooking with ingredients so fresh that little needs to be done with them: salt marsh lamb and super fresh mackerel are two things that spring to mind. You don't dollop a big splurge of mayonnaise on either. You just need minimal taste guidance (hummus and pitta bread for the lamb, and crusty bread, lemon and butter for the mackerel) which is similar to many fights in Banshee.

More hummus, pitta bread, crusty bread, lemon and butter. Less of the mayonnaise. The mayonnaise is the fight scenes bgm.

Anyway, speaking as expert, I just hope it's going to be a three season completeness. They're Ll looking older, and Hood (ptsd included) would make an excellent brutal James Bond.

Also rumours of Cliffy B starring as a henchman or kindly shop-keeper in an episode are unfounded at this time.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 29, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

osietra posted:

Could you please ask the music guys to have less tunes during the fights please? Bgm during intense violence is always a way of making the intense violence less intense.

It's like cooking with ingredients so fresh that little needs to be done with them: salt marsh lamb and super fresh mackerel are two things that spring to mind. You don't dollop a big splurge of mayonnaise on either. You just need minimal taste guidance (hummus and pitta bread for the lamb, and crusty bread, lemon and butter for the mackerel) which is similar to many fights in Banshee.

More hummus, pitta bread, crusty bread, lemon and butter. Less of the mayonnaise. The mayonnaise is the fight scenes bgm.

Anyway, speaking as expert, I just hope it's going to be a three season completeness. They're Ll looking older, and Hood (ptsd included) would make an excellent brutal James Bond.

Also rumours of Cliffy B starring as a henchman or kindly shop-keeper in an episode are unfounded at this time.

I want to see Job kick more rear end this coming season. Best character in show.

I agree, he probably would make a pretty good James Bond.

And that music. With you there too. I did like some of the subtle scoring, though. For example, in the Hood/Sanchez fight scene in S1E3. That was pretty perfect for that scene and didn't take away from it at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any word on when this show is back?

When I changed cable companies a few months ago Cinemax was part of the bundled package I got. Gave Banshee a shot and what a fun show. How do more people not know about this show? Are the other Cinemax shows as good as this? I am watching The Knick but that seems like a totally different genre.

Also want to say Ulrich Thomsen plays a great villain.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got renewed in January, so i'd expect January again for season 4 renewal

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Niwrad posted:

Is there any word on when this show is back?

When I changed cable companies a few months ago Cinemax was part of the bundled package I got. Gave Banshee a shot and what a fun show. How do more people not know about this show? Are the other Cinemax shows as good as this? I am watching The Knick but that seems like a totally different genre.

Also want to say Ulrich Thomsen plays a great villain.

Go watch Strike Back right now. You'll thank me later. Buddy.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

richardfun posted:

Go watch Strike Back right now. You'll thank me later. Buddy.

Yeah not to build it up too much but Strike Back is the best action show ever made and it should be watched.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think both of those two ^^ are under valuing how good Strike Back actually is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Strike Back is goddamn incredible.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
HEY, HEY BUDDY, go watch Strike Back.

BUDDY.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm going to watch. Is the "Origins" listed in the app the 6 episode first season that came before it moved to Cinemax? Is it worth watching first?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I'm going to watch. Is the "Origins" listed in the app the 6 episode first season that came before it moved to Cinemax? Is it worth watching first?

Oh, they have origins for SB too? I need to watch those.

You should watch the ones for Banshee if you didn't already. It's almost like watching deleted scenes in DVD special features.

And the six episode first season for SB is basically focusing on one character who has little to do with the current show from the second season on. It's weird, like they redid the show with new characters and barely associated it with the first season at all. The first season is fun, though. The main character is at least mentioned I think in the second season, and I may be forgetting other current (or now dead) characters that were in the first season.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I say avoid the "prequel" 6 episodes. Completely different tone and feel in my opinion, and could put you off the series.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I say avoid the "prequel" 6 episodes. Completely different tone and feel in my opinion, and could put you off the series.

I disagree, they are fun on their own, but yeah they do have a different tone. I think that's because if I am remembering right, the first season was BBC-produced.

And it strikes me as less a prequel season and more of a show that BBC started but cancelled, then Cinemax picked it up.

e: If you watch it and remember that it's basically got nothing to do with season 2 and on, then you're better off. Or you can wait until you are caught up on it from season 2 to now, then watch the first season. I hate to even call it the first season...when the second season came out, it was billed as a new show that disregarded the first season, and only a few websites were referring to the second season as the second season. The rest treated it like it was a new show. So I suppose that it could be a prequel in that respect, but I just think, again, that BBC just cancelled it and it got picked up by Cinemax, who billed it as a brand new show, hence the confusion.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

I disagree, they are fun on their own, but yeah they do have a different tone. I think that's because if I am remembering right, the first season was BBC-produced.

And it strikes me as less a prequel season and more of a show that BBC started but cancelled, then Cinemax picked it up.

e: If you watch it and remember that it's basically got nothing to do with season 2 and on, then you're better off. Or you can wait until you are caught up on it from season 2 to now, then watch the first season. I hate to even call it the first season...when the second season came out, it was billed as a new show that disregarded the first season, and only a few websites were referring to the second season as the second season. The rest treated it like it was a new show. So I suppose that it could be a prequel in that respect, but I just think, again, that BBC just cancelled it and it got picked up by Cinemax, who billed it as a brand new show, hence the confusion.

Not every British show is a BBC show. In this case it was a Sky show.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The original Strike Back deals with more serious issues from the effect war has on families to child soldiers and was based on an actual book that was written by a former SAS soldier while the Cinemax series is more fun and less ground in reality.

The Cinemax version is essentially a buddy cop show with tits and guns. It's about two chill bros that kill terrorists and deal (shoot at) a wide range of characters from gay Real IRA terrorists to Janjaweed militiamen to Russian gangsters. The Cinemax series is a better watch due to the rapport between the two main characters but the first one is still worth watching.

That said Strike Back does action well, like I know the other posters have said as much but I really can't think of any other show or movie that comes close to what it does.

There was also a thread for it but it fell off somewhere since the last season of the series was delayed.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The main character is at least mentioned I think in the second season

He dies on-camera in the first ten minutes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rick Grimes with his native accent, worth watching imo

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, go back and watch the British series after the Cinemax one if you want more, but just start watching the Cinemax series.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Rocksicles posted:

Rick Grimes with his native accent, worth watching imo

Yea he totally kills the role in the original Strike Back. The stories are really cool, but the buddy cop dynamic in the Cinemax version is just so amazing well done. I think I'm going to rewatch it right now.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Not every British show is a BBC show. In this case it was a Sky show.

I'm aware of that fact, I actually thought it was a BBC show. My bad?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The guy who plays Burton is great. He's basically a psychotic Alton Brown in this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wow am I glad to finally be in this thread. I marathoned Season 1 last summer, but didn't get Cinemax at the time so I couldn't step up to season 2 when it aired. So I waited for the season 2 Blu-ray...

...and waited...

...and waited...

...and waited...

...until finally The Knick was coming on, and I decided "gently caress it, it's now in my best interest to add Cinemax." And I was delighted to learn that every episode of Banshee was available on demand, so I spent the last couple of weeks burning through it.

This show kicks rear end. Most times it's a straight-up guilty pleasure, a modern day Road House. But the fact that this show is even capable of pulling off a gut punch like "The Truth About Unicorns" is laudable and shows what a great job was done quietly developing these characters. One thing I want to comment on: The minute Yawners started talking about his pregnant wife in "Behold a Pale Rider," I knew his number would eventually come up. I have to agree that the way he was written out was really, uh, mean, but I can't help but commend the way my expectations were upended; instead of taking out Yawners in the line of duty and having obligatory scenes of the grieving wife and the force rallying around her, you kill his unborn kid first, AND THEN kill his wife alongside him just as they're getting out, in a way that makes a sort of cold, horrible sense.

Surreal Windmill, I know you're not one of the writers, but as a welcomed representative of this show I have to say: Y'all are a bunch of twisted, brilliant motherfuckers.

Anyway, can't wait for season 3, THRILLED I'm going to be watching it live this year. osietra, I know it's early, but would you mind if I claimed the Season 3 thread?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, guilty pleasure definitely describes how I view the show as well.

Now I only wish that we didn't have to wait a year between seasons, but the production is good and the acting is good, so I'd rather wait a year for another good season than wait like three months for some filler half-season the current big basic cable networks like to do all of a sudden.

I liked how Yawners got to take it to the Neo-Nazis, but yeah it was hard not to see that he was going to get it in the end. I was sad because I really liked him, and I feel his large, football player, muscly presence wasn't used enough.

Basically, I just tell my friends who haven't seen the show that it's like the action movies and action heroes of yore, split up into an episodic television show with modernized production values.

Not unlike Strike Back...

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Wow am I glad to finally be in this thread. I marathoned Season 1 last summer, but didn't get Cinemax at the time so I couldn't step up to season 2 when it aired. So I waited for the season 2 Blu-ray...

...and waited...

...and waited...

...and waited...

...until finally The Knick was coming on, and I decided "gently caress it, it's now in my best interest to add Cinemax." And I was delighted to learn that every episode of Banshee was available on demand, so I spent the last couple of weeks burning through it.

This show kicks rear end. Most times it's a straight-up guilty pleasure, a modern day Road House. But the fact that this show is even capable of pulling off a gut punch like "The Truth About Unicorns" is laudable and shows what a great job was done quietly developing these characters. One thing I want to comment on: The minute Yawners started talking about his pregnant wife in "Behold a Pale Rider," I knew his number would eventually come up. I have to agree that the way he was written out was really, uh, mean, but I can't help but commend the way my expectations were upended; instead of taking out Yawners in the line of duty and having obligatory scenes of the grieving wife and the force rallying around her, you kill his unborn kid first, AND THEN kill his wife alongside him just as they're getting out, in a way that makes a sort of cold, horrible sense.

Surreal Windmill, I know you're not one of the writers, but as a welcomed representative of this show I have to say: Y'all are a bunch of twisted, brilliant motherfuckers.

Anyway, can't wait for season 3, THRILLED I'm going to be watching it live this year. osietra, I know it's early, but would you mind if I claimed the Season 3 thread?
You're more than welcome to, if you can answer the following questions:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DP made some of the best series threads to ever grace the TV IV. And he's the other huge fan of LIFE on these forums. Just that little bit of info makes me look forward to his S3 thread.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What are your views on gender and sexuality?

Is my first.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

DP made some of the best series threads to ever grace the TV IV. And he's the other huge fan of LIFE on these forums. Just that little bit of info makes me look forward to his S3 thread.

Life was a fun show. Damien Lewis would have fit in on Banshee, he's probably got a higher price tag than all the other cast members combined at this point though.

osietra posted:

Is my first.

What?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

osietra posted:

Is my first.

If I'm supposed to answer with Banshee quotes, or if it's like that scene in Airheads where the answer is "Lemmy IS God," I might as well forfeit right now.

Serious answer? I think people are people, and in turn I think women and homosexuals get a raw deal in society. And I'd personally like to see some women writing and/or directing for this show. If Kathryn Bigelow can direct Point Break and Lexi Alexander can direct Punisher: War Zone, there's gotta be some woman out there who can slide right in and blow poo poo up with the rest of this crew.

But ask me how many fucks I give about that while Lucas Hood is shattering a condiment bottle while it's jammed down a mook's throat, or after a half-naked Amish exile headshots a violently crazy Native American chief who calls himself THE THUNDER MAN. Or...I was going to say "when Chayton is a motherfucking badass," but really, anytime Chayton's on screen.

Granted, if they kill off Siobhan at some point I might have some poo poo to say. And I'll always warn progressive-minded newcomers about the abundance of strawman rapists that big badass men save helpless women from in the first season.* Other than that, barring a development that's ABSOLUTELY EGREGIOUS and isn't yet another example of something systemic in American media, I'd rather enjoy the show for what it is, and not what I think it should be. Because what it is is loving fun.

*I actually thought it was real cool that, in one of the few instances of a "woman-beating prick of the week" in season 2, Siobhan sent Hood on a snipe hunt so she could deal with her rear end in a top hat ex in her way -- which happened to also be the old country way. I guess I could still whine that the show seems to be out of women that Hood hasn't slept with, but...nah.

Wow, that was probably longer than you were looking for. How badly did I just crash and burn?

Also, Rhyno, if you like my OPs so much, give BoJack Horseman a look. EDIT: Here's a link.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 10, 2015

bou
Aug 3, 2006

why are there new posts and no mention of the existence of a loving season 3 promo? It's ... unexpectedly clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGGr1YXU-I

They seem to be upping individual character vignettes on their channel at a time too.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DivisionPost posted:

Serious answer? I think people are people, and in turn I think women and homosexuals get a raw deal in society. And I'd personally like to see some women writing and/or directing for this show. If Kathryn Bigelow can direct Point Break and Lexi Alexander can direct Punisher: War Zone, there's gotta be some woman out there who can slide right in and blow poo poo up with the rest of this crew.

They had a female director for two season one episodes: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1237416/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr4

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CeeJee posted:

They had a female director for two season one episodes: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1237416/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr4

Well, poo poo. In that case, change that to "I'd like to see more women," but again, assuming that I'm not operating under other false information, I don't want to turn this into an argument here. Especially when:

bou posted:

why are there new posts and no mention of the existence of a loving season 3 promo? It's ... unexpectedly clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGGr1YXU-I

They seem to be upping individual character vignettes on their channel at a time too.

That is some appropriately epic use of Hozier, right there.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Season 3 trailer just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9giKVV__U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm currently rewatching the first two seasons in preparation of the third, and goddamn I forgot how entertaining and high-energy this show is. Between this, Strike Back, and The Knick, it seems like Cinemax is developing a pretty good hand at their original programs.

• Locked thread