Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It seems to me it depends on class: on my priest I can't tell a difference between full idoneal and full +12 discovery. Heals heal for roughly the same and even though I should in theory have much better survivalability, in practice I really can't see it, I'm getting hit for the same damage.

On lancer, as long as I block properly, I don't see much of difference either, except it's nearly impossible to hold aggro with idoneal against discovery dps. I have healed full idoneal lancer alts in brhm/scnm and again, as long as they blocked it went fine.

I don't play a DPS class but from what I can see, the difference between idoneal and discovery is like the difference between night and day. Seems like it doubles or even triples your output. The extra green lines on weapon especially are huge.

I personally went ambit +9 because it's cheap, MW ambit weapon, then discovery. I main a priest though. If you play dps and are rich you should just probably get a crafted disc weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

tyblazitar posted:

So I'm just getting started on endgame progression, and I can't seem to find a consensus on what to do after Idoneal. Some guide said to get Ambit gear and just +9 it, but +9 Ambit seems to be at best on par with and at worst significantly worse than Idoneal. So should I go for broke getting +12 Ambit or just stay in Idoneal until I get Discovery? The latter seemed like it would be a bit too ambitious considering I'm still relatively new to the game and could use any training wheels in form of gear I can get, so I spent a few MES (masterwork after 5 scrolls, guess I got lucky) and a lot of alkahest getting my boots to +12 last night, but drat that's going to take a while for the rest of the pieces. Also, should I wait until I have all 4 Ambit pieces before switching because of the set bonuses or is it more a matter of equip it as soon as you have it?

You should +9 and wear Ambit if you have it. Don't Masterwork Ambit except for gloves and weapon. Buy your Discovery boots from the Broker.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Monomythian posted:

You should +9 and wear Ambit if you have it. Don't Masterwork Ambit except for gloves and weapon. Buy your Discovery boots from the Broker.
Why the +9? I got Ambit boots to +9 and as far as I could see they were still worse than Idoneal. And yeah, I got cheap Discovery boots, but it seems the set bonuses don't really encourage too much mixing of sets?

Also, I can't tell if the pug tanks I play with are terrible or if gunner is just that OP, but considering how I constantly get aggro from every boss in BRNM already, I don't want to think about how that will be if i actually get better gear. Maybe I should have an extra set of lower DPS gear to let the tank try to actually tank.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Tell everybody who isn't a tank to use Eclipse Potion Vs. They're not too pricey and seem to help a bit. I still steal aggro as Gunner if I go all out, but I do notice a good difference when I use them in dungeons where it matters.

I went from Idoneal to full Ambit (except a Renegade belt) because the bonus from a set of 4 is nice. I only +12d the gloves and weap. For reference, as DPS, I then went from 5-6 min vaults and 11 min Ghillieglades in Idoneal to 2 min vaults and 5 min Ghillieglades with my Ambit set. I've been holding off on Discovery since I got advice to wait til the new gear comes out in the next month or so.

Good accessories and crystals makes a good difference from the Idoneal set and was my first focus when I got to 65.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 23, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

tyblazitar posted:

Why the +9? I got Ambit boots to +9 and as far as I could see they were still worse than Idoneal. And yeah, I got cheap Discovery boots, but it seems the set bonuses don't really encourage too much mixing of sets?

Also, I can't tell if the pug tanks I play with are terrible or if gunner is just that OP, but considering how I constantly get aggro from every boss in BRNM already, I don't want to think about how that will be if i actually get better gear. Maybe I should have an extra set of lower DPS gear to let the tank try to actually tank.

Skip Ambit entirely and go straight to Discovery is what I keep hearing from endgame content runners, because Ambit is worse than Idoneal unless unless you +12 AND get perfect enigmatic stat rolls, which is more expensive than it's worth.

They also keep saying that you can do any of the endgame content dungeons in Idoneal if you aren't bad/a Lancer trying to keep aggro off of a bunch of +15 Generation geared DPS. I am skeptical about being able to do this in Sky Cruiser Endeavor Hard Mode, but it mostly works for up to Bathysmal Rise Hard Mode in my experience.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for the helpful replies!

AzureSkys posted:

Tell everybody who isn't a tank to use Eclipse Potion Vs. They're not too pricey and seem to help a bit. I still steal aggro as Gunner if I go all out, but I do notice a good difference when I use them in dungeons where it matters.

I went from Idoneal to full Ambit (except a Renegade belt) because the bonus from a set of 4 is nice. I only +12d the gloves and weap. For reference, as DPS, I then went from 5-6 min vaults and 11 min Ghillieglades in Idoneal to 2 min vaults and 5 min Ghillieglades with my Ambit set. I've been holding off on Discovery since I got advice to wait til the new gear comes out in the next month or so.

Good accessories and crystals makes a good difference from the Idoneal set and was my first focus when I got to 65.
Ah, the potion is a great tip, thanks! I'm generally a bit lost about all the different kinds of consumables I should be using, and mostly just try to keep crit scrolls, ranger's nostrums and charms up. And yeah, getting full set but only +12ing gloves and weapon seems like a good compromise. If only I hadn't wasted all that gold on my boots I could have used it on the weapon that dropped today, but live and learn I guess.

Focusing on accessories and crystals is a good idea I guess, but at least the latter seems very expensive. I mostly use the credits on MWA boxes, so 1000+g each crystal times 8 crystals is expensive enough even if I wasn't an idiot who regularly forgot using crystalbinds, especially since the difference usually seems to be relatively small from the lower tier ones. As for accessories, I was again confused when I got a Firetrill ring only to find it seemed to be significantly worse stat-wise than the Idoneal one I already had. I get that being able to use the level 65 crystals is an advantage, but does it outweigh the stat difference?

Groggy nard posted:

Skip Ambit entirely and go straight to Discovery is what I keep hearing from endgame content runners, because Ambit is worse than Idoneal unless unless you +12 AND get perfect enigmatic stat rolls, which is more expensive than it's worth.

They also keep saying that you can do any of the endgame content dungeons in Idoneal if you aren't bad/a Lancer trying to keep aggro off of a bunch of +15 Generation geared DPS. I am skeptical about being able to do this in Sky Cruiser Endeavor Hard Mode, but it mostly works for up to Bathysmal Rise Hard Mode in my experience.
I've heard similar things, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my own abilities to go straight to the harder dungeons, and gearing up a bit helps me feel like I've got training wheels to help me out a bit. Also with people saying you shouldn't get Discovery before the next patch I figured I might as well get me some Ambit in the mean time.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Maybe it was just me and my luck, but I nearly spent more trying to MW and enchant the one disco piece I've gotten than I did on all my ambit stuff. Again, not sure for non-dps how much it differs from Idoneal, though. I was discouraged on my Priest with the gear grind since completing things like solo vault and many of the Vanguard dailies took so long and I only have 2 ambit pieces on that char.

It takes a few weeks with daily dedication, but doing solo-vault gives golden tickets (and I think I got some from BRHM once) that will give an inner wear box once you get 80 of them. I lucked out and got a good piece. It's a great place to get rings and earings. Doing Vanguard quests gives Vanguard tokens to then buy crystals and enchanting stuff from the Vanguard Vendor that's a bit cheaper than on the broker. RG, CW, BRNM, Ghillieglade, and solo Vault are easy enough to run (once you learn the mechanics, especially, for RG and BR) and can get you stuff pretty quickly. Don't forget Sabex and Macellarius Catacombs for glyphs, too.

Idoneal seems just fine for anything that isn't Hard Mode and the only ones who struggle with it are those without accessories and proper crystals and the ability to keep clear of bigger attacks.
Here's a nice vid that goes through consumables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62gc0MLWlg

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

Maybe it was just me and my luck, but I nearly spent more trying to MW and enchant the one disco piece I've gotten than I did on all my ambit stuff. Again, not sure for non-dps how much it differs from Idoneal, though. I was discouraged on my Priest with the gear grind since completing things like solo vault and many of the Vanguard dailies took so long and I only have 2 ambit pieces on that char.

It takes a few weeks with daily dedication, but doing solo-vault gives golden tickets (and I think I got some from BRHM once) that will give an inner wear box once you get 80 of them. I lucked out and got a good piece. It's a great place to get rings and earings. Doing Vanguard quests gives Vanguard tokens to then buy crystals and enchanting stuff from the Vanguard Vendor that's a bit cheaper than on the broker. RG, CW, BRNM, Ghillieglade, and solo Vault are easy enough to run (once you learn the mechanics, especially, for RG and BR) and can get you stuff pretty quickly. Don't forget Sabex and Macellarius Catacombs for glyphs, too.

Idoneal seems just fine for anything that isn't Hard Mode and the only ones who struggle with it are those without accessories and proper crystals and the ability to keep clear of bigger attacks.
Here's a nice vid that goes through consumables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62gc0MLWlg
Yeah, I finally figured out the Vault and Ghillieglade, and got a Renagade belt from my first Vault, which combined with a +12 ambit weapon, a new brooch and innerwear from the cash shop has really made a noticeable difference in my DPS (as well as raising my ilv to 194 apparently). I noticed that you can run Ghillieglade 4 times a day, but the third time i went in last night it hadn't reset, is there a cooldown I need to wait out before going back in?

Also that consumables video is pretty good, thanks!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Do you have Elite status? I think that might be why it was 2, but I'm not sure. I know it's 4 for elite. Instance reset scrolls can reset it and the daily reset is around 4 or 5 am Pacific Time. There is a slight cool down, like 15 mins from start or something.

and which one of you is this?
http://www.twitch.tv/senormudkipp/b/672032951

That voice mod was cracking my friends and I up! Simply amazing.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a recently 65 Sorcerer and I seem to do pretty well (4/4 accessories and 2/2 ambit/idoneal, though no Ambit weapon yet :p) with loot gain. I mostly was wondering how to not mess up Fulminar tremendously as it is the only boss I've been struggling with?

I can't seem to get a constant range estimate and either get hit by his aoe or miss my attack due to his giant butt moving.

Is there a "magic trick" to that boss or is it mostly 100% learning patterns and exploiting them?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's all learning, though he has a nasty triple hit attack that he sometimes uses that will kill you, watch out for that. I believe he turns when he does it. That's pretty much the general rule of thumb of bosses - as long as they are facing the tank, you are relatively safe, once they turn be ready to spam dodge button.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's all learning, though he has a nasty triple hit attack that he sometimes uses that will kill you, watch out for that. I believe he turns when he does it. That's pretty much the general rule of thumb of bosses - as long as they are facing the tank, you are relatively safe, once they turn be ready to spam dodge button.

Thank you for the tips! I'll try to figure out timers for attacks and stop stalling so much :p

Edit: Hell yes :p managed to get fulmi down without getting hit a single time! :getin: hardmod-hahaha not yet :p

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 29, 2015

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I think I'm going to give this game a try and hope it's not as bad as playing archeage last year. Anyone else just starting out?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's fun and no money required :shrug:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lol

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Is there a point to this summer event? Will I be missing out on anything neat by not doing it?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Drumstick posted:

Is there a point to this summer event? Will I be missing out on anything neat by not doing it?

It's possible to get a permanent flying carpet mount if you get all the summer and fall festival achievements. The food items are worth a decent amount of gold too... especially after the festival is closed.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The lamb bulgogi is a nice buff for harder bosses and can sell for a fair amount later on, so it can be worth doing the daily for it. And you can get a necklace that is good for increasing gathering skills if not already maxed with that stuff.
Then you can lose all your gold betting on BAMs when the rng screws you. So there's that, too.

Outback Snakehole
Nov 10, 2012
So, Ive got a 65 mystic and I was wanting to join you people. Should I bother transferring the mystic or should I just start a new character?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

New trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixEniV8K38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkM3HxRJ4U8

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

If that's a Human Specific class then we are going to see so many jokes about Humans "Just now being added to/existing in/entering Tera."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Holy poo poo that looks fun. I had an expression just like the Tuwangi dudes at the end. I like the punch mans thing.

Is this going in on July 7?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo that looks fun. I had an expression just like the Tuwangi dudes at the end. I like the punch mans thing.

Is this going in on July 7?

The new dungeons and berserker tanking, yes. The new class is coming this summer to KTera so it will be 6+ months before it's in NA/EU.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

"Vi stands for violence" that class does look pretty set though. Punch fools in the face!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Lots of free content to keep people playing, wish they had done that two years ago.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah punchmans class. Going by the current trend I guess they'll be human and amani exclusive (probably just human, let's be honest).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If a costume isn't labeled as permanent, what's that mean?
And if I wanted to buy a pet and give it to a friend, could I just simply trade it to them?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Patch day!

Patch notes.

Warrior got buffed a whole bunch, I hadn't heard that was coming.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Never Play On Patch Day

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me if i get a founders key, will it give me the four bank slots as items, or does it just poof since I already have the four tabs unlocked? Also, if i have 2 extra characters unlocked, will it add 6 taking me to ten total, or will it also poof and only let me have 8 slots max?

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

imatree posted:

Can anyone tell me if i get a founders key, will it give me the four bank slots as items, or does it just poof since I already have the four tabs unlocked? Also, if i have 2 extra characters unlocked, will it add 6 taking me to ten total, or will it also poof and only let me have 8 slots max?
http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-game-account-types

quote:

NOTE: Applying a Founder's code will overwrite existing account upgrades to bank storage and character slots. The account will be upgraded to 4 total bank tabs and 8 total character slots per server, regardless of previous individual upgrades on the account.
tl;dr you will end up with 8 character slots, and the bank/char slots don't come as items.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So i decided to give this game a shot today. Questions:
how do i scale certain UI elements (without scaling everything,) like the chat and the "mini" map (that takes up a quarter of the screen) They are both too big for my liking

also how do i make the little fairy that pops up and bothers me go away

Skwee fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 19, 2015

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I don't have access to it at the moment, but under the options and UI settings you there's a drop-down to choose various elements and scale them to their own size. Took me a while to notice it, too.
I think the chat, though, has to be scaled through the chat tab settings, at least for text size. You can grab the bottom right corner of the chat box to size it, too.

Staying true to the thread title, I've given up after 120 tries to masterwork my new t7 weapon with no luck and about 10k gold spent. Lost about 20k to Bamaram, too.

Rng...

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

AzureSkys posted:

I don't have access to it at the moment, but under the options and UI settings you there's a drop-down to choose various elements and scale them to their own size. Took me a while to notice it, too.
I think the chat, though, has to be scaled through the chat tab settings, at least for text size. You can grab the bottom right corner of the chat box to size it, too.

Staying true to the thread title, I've given up after 120 tries to masterwork my new t7 weapon with no luck and about 10k gold spent. Lost about 20k to Bamaram, too.

Rng...

Ah, thanks for the info. I was trying to grab the side or top right of the chat.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Did they ever increase the odds of enchanting gear to the highest level or is it still like spending all your money playing scratch tickets at the corner store?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just the highest tier gear. Not sure about tier 6 stuff since the update, but it was and now tier 7 seems to consume tons. The lower tier stuff seems pretty easy to masterwork and enchant, especially if in a guild in an alliance and you can use the Bronze (or Gold if available) Enchanter NPC.

I finally MW'd my t7 weap after 144 tries and only got it to +10 after about 600 feedstock and the Gold Enchanter, my friend has spent about 40k for her t7 gear to get enchanted.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
If you're a returning player enchanting is more forgiving now than it used to be because everytime you fail you get an 'enchantment advantage' (read: tiny percent increase to succeed on your next attempt) that stacks on itself so if you butt your head against the wall long enough you'll get it eventually. But awakened enchanting (for rene / gene / lucid / tensus gear) is still a total crapshoot where you can piss away a million gold and not get +15 or get it on your first try; supposedly there's a change in the pipe that will make it so failing at +13/+14 won't reset you to +12 but I haven't seen any official word on that so I wouldn't hold your breath.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks for the info. I would be a returning player. I quit before it went free to play after failing to get any of my items to enchant to +12 after throwing all the gold at it.

Tempted to come back and try reaper. I've missed the best combat system I've ever played and from your descriptions it seems the enchanting system is at least a bit more forgiving now.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Sorta thinking about giving this a shot. The last 'MMO' I played was PSO2, and aside from nostalgia I liked it for it's fast paced Action-RPG combat. As far as I can tell, there's nothing else out there but Tera that offers that kind of gameplay. So question- I love comically oversized weapons. Are the Slayer and Gunner classes easy enough to jump into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

THE loving MOON posted:

Sorta thinking about giving this a shot. The last 'MMO' I played was PSO2, and aside from nostalgia I liked it for it's fast paced Action-RPG combat. As far as I can tell, there's nothing else out there but Tera that offers that kind of gameplay. So question- I love comically oversized weapons. Are the Slayer and Gunner classes easy enough to jump into?

I recently leveled a gunner after they came out. It was a real blast. I've played slayer till the 30s they are also fun and have great attacks. You will pick up both very quickly. I personally like gunner over slayer but you can't go wrong with either. Also I've yet to find any mmo that can't match tera's combat.

• Locked thread