Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

I am bit of a completionist, so I tend to do every quest... Is there any perks for doing that?

You are likely to become over-level for zones if you are doing all the quests. If you do a dungeon even more so. Make sure you do all the quests in the Story tab (the red !, ?,and *s) and you should probably skip the quests marked with a ! with a ring of arrows around it, which designates it as a repeatable.

What I find myself doing is starting with everything, but then abandoning all the non-story quests below my current level and just plowing through story quests until I catch back up. I don't think my Slayer has ever finished a zone outside the Island of Dawn, and I'm still leaving a trail of abandoned quests behind me.

fakeedit: Do make sure you take all the guild quests off the quest board. I wouldn't go out of your way to complete them, but many you'll finish just doing the normal quests. Also, you'll be prepared in case someone tries to rope you in for killing Vanarch BAMs later. There is no limit to the amount of guild quests you can have, so just get in the habit of taking them all whenever you are in a town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

On another note, while leveling up, I find that I have to stay in defensive mode most of the time for BAM soloing. I read that warriors should actually stay in assult stance for that, but w/o any self heals, I often find myself needing to bandage or drink potion due to damages that I almost always will have sustained... I am sure my inexperience has something to do with it, or maybe gear?

The better gear would help, but really soloing BAMs is a question of "How perfectly can you execute this fight". If you know how to read the tells and play cautiously you can do it, warriors/slayers/zerkers can kill leveling BAMs in 5-6 minutes after your first couple of tries. It's absolutely not worth it from a leveling speed perspective (in which case you should just do quests) but it is fun and I find myself doing it anyway at times. Adding just 1 other people will make you much much faster and possibly make it worthwhile if neither of you are dying.

Ran Cultist's Refuge last night on my slayer and had the tank drop group right after the hydralith thing without a word. I go to requeue us, but the bonus boss apparently doesn't count and it shows instance complete. On that revelation, the priest and warrior drop out, leaving me and a zerker. He announces "Well GG", so I charge Behehenddrehndenehdehenen before he can quit and a few minutes later we're cleaning up a loot explosion. And that's why this game owns. :feelsgood:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
^^ seriously go do that, it turns out real life is so much better than the crap I made up while bored at work

He logs into the TeamSpeak server, headphones donned. "lolis 'n creeeeeeeam" a breathy voice hisses into his ears. It begins.

Three days later, that's where the police find him. The revulsion of that night permanently etched upon his face, headphone cord wound tightly around his throat. Poor fool, it was his only way out.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

In TERA you can be the King of Cattes. Play it.

So much lost potential in this not being the thread title.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I moved my 21 Sorcerer over and in the first five minutes was killed by another player.

Were you in channel 1?

I don't think my 42 sorcerer has ever been killed by another player. Stepped on by plenty of BAMs, but not another player.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
You really aren't going to notice that 10% reduction since most the time you're knocked under 30% in PvP you'll be dead in the next 2 seconds. It's still SOMETHING over other races, but it's a very minute bonus. Also important to note, Aman have practically the same racial with the added bonus of reducing damage from all sources by 10% when under 30% HP instead of just players. Though really if you're worried about that sort of thing I was say take Baraka, at least a full heal once an hour will make a difference when you use it, even if it's up infrequently. For PvE min/maxing castanic get a 1% increased crit chance when attacking from the back (which Tera is WAY more strict about than say WoW is, you have to literally be putting your weapons up it's rear end, not just in the back 50% of the circle) but even that is not too noticeable.

Pick a race off appearance, you'll be much happier in the end. The skill ceiling in this game is so much higher than WoW that you won't see a 1% race bonus at all. You can just be that much more smug when you crap all over people with your Popori (racial skill-wise the worst choice, though arguably the best in appearance) Catte King.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Usually the reward is a ton of exp compared to a normal quest and sometimes a good item on top of that.

I do not think this is accurate. From what I recall, BAM quests actually do not tend to have any better rewards than a "normal" quest, and in fact often had worse. Most the exp/loot advantage comes from actually killing them BAM itself, which tends to be more exp than a quest turn-in and they seem to drop much more money as well as occasionally better loot.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

What are those things?

As far as I can tell they're just generic "world boss" mobs that aren't flagged as a "party monster" or whatever the other icon is. Originally I was thinking they had special drops like rare named spawns in other games but really most the time I find them empty. They do seem to follow the traits of slightly more HP and way more damage than normal.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Nope! The only thing that will give you much tangible benefit while leveling is Alchemy, and if you extract for alchemy you get staff making junk and not potion making junk.

As far as your extracting issues, is your extraction skill high enough level? You have to buy a dumb scroll to level it up.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Paraduck posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, I looked over the OP and didn't see anything about this specifically.

Just saw this is now Fee-to-Play, I have an account it has Founder-CE status. What does that mean for me?

You get massive priority in the login queues, you still can ride your lion erryday, and they extend their eternal love to you.

e: Really, if you have a founder account very little will seem different. You don't have character creation limits or anything like the free people would. They changed the high end enchanting stuff so you can't get it from the vendors anymore and now it comes from dungeons or the cash shop. You can still sell it on the auction house, so now you just get it from there instead of an NPC.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 14, 2013

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It seems like a waste to use a mount that doesn't go 290 :sigh:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

I guess I played this for a few weeks a long time ago, because I got an email about free funbucks for being a founder or something. How has f2p treated the game? What's the goon population like?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Seriously, the sunglasses are less than 2k. Buying things in the real dollars shop to sell in the AH seems like an awful idea since the gold prices are just so ridiculously low.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I want more clothes on my Elin. Big skirts or dresses or something. I'm trying to be the prettiest princess, not anime fanservice.

So much of the plate armor for Elin seems to actually cover things, and it makes me jealous :sigh:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Yes.

Take off your crystals and sell information on yourself. Collect 100g.

You can lose crystals for PvP deaths? I didn't think that was the case.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Strange, each guide I've found must be out of date then.

This is highly likely, there's plenty of outdated Tera information to go around right now.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It's not worth it from an xp/hour perspective. It's worth it in that it owns.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Nechronic posted:

Dungeons designed for five players are difficult with only two?! Cancelling my sub.

Actually, most bosses can be soloed. The boss he is talking about has a crapload of health and not much else, so I imagine trying to kill him with 2 is more an exercise in grinding than actually hard.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Grogsy posted:

Normally though you just start as level one at island of dawn with other level ones competing for mobs. Just like any other mmo

No, bad player! Bad! Get out of channel 1!

In the top right it will tell you what channel you are in. If you stay in channel 1, some crappy level 60 will eventually come by to drive you into the ground. Just click where it says channel 1 and pick literally any other channel on the list. Congratulations! Now you don't have to worry about high level PvPers crapping on low levels as well as drastically reducing mob competition. The starting zone always has 10 channels, later zones are based on how many people are in it.

:frogsiren: Please don't ever be in channel 1 :frogsiren:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I've been soloing BAMs on my 50 slayer for a bit, which is usually fun and doesn't frequently result in death. However, sometimes the BAMs realize that they'll never kill me with their big dumb telegraphed attacks as they're big and dumb and telegraphed attacks, so they just step on me until I die. This new tactic is extremely effective and I don't know what to do about it. Can I do something about it?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It's off, if the Dragongod Knightkings have anything to say about it. :colbert:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
How do archers fare these days?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

So I've decided to level up another character, since I have like a million alts. I saw a BAM outside of Echo Ranch today. It was an ovalith type, level 20. Arakia or something. I have never seen it before today! I guess he's tied to an achievement. Kill him 100x or something.

I don't think he's good for much aside from the achievement now, but in the old political system I must have farmed 15k PP from that dude. Also got to watch quite a few people experience My First Ovolith and get themselves killed.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I'm leveling a warrior alt. Which skill do you mean? Blade Draw?

Yes. Combo ALL THE THINGS into Blade Draw, and use the glyph for a chance to reset the cool down for even more Blade Draws.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

tallian posted:

Wait, this is the first I have heard about this, how do you claim it? I have a fairly old account, so should be eligible.

You had to create a character during the specific event with a specific naming convention. If this is the first you're hearing of it, you don't qualify.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Any whale hunting aside, this game has to be roughly 50% Elin already.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's weird, I just walked right past them when I was there, I figured they were sitting around to protect the newbies from opposing high level players.

Sometimes that is also the case. If you kill someone many levels (6+?) below you, you gain infamy points and are flagged as an outlaw until your infamy drops back to 0. I don't remember exactly how long it takes but I recall something like 5-10 minutes per point, and killing someone that far below you yields 10 points. Those numbers are probably entirely inaccurate, but it's a significant amount of time rather than something like two minutes and you can stack your infamy quite high. If you see a 60 with a red name, he's been killing lower levels. If the names look normal, he's probably been killing the crappy 60s that hunt low levels.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Does Outlaw work exactly how it did when this game launched, with no penalty for killing anyone regardless of character level, or have they switched over toward the korean system where you get increasing penalties for ganking low level people?

Anyone of any level can kill an Outlaw without penalty. Outlaws gain Infamy from killing people lower than them in level, restricting their ability to remove Outlaw status.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
:shobon: "I guess we'll set up TELEPORTALS and instances for these events...?"
:engleft: "Nah, nobody plays this game anymore so who loving cares. We'll just PS Home it, it'll be fine."
:razz: "Good point, back to making Elin animations and bizarre baby-themed content!"

I'm not sure I understand the direction they're going with development; maybe they're trying to pander to adult babies?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It's a 4chan guild, I'd imagine they have to be used to people not following directions properly.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I thought that the last patch was removing the 1s CD on Warrior block, so theoretically Warrior tanking should be better than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
My Brawler is only 55, but I've been able to effortlessly solo every group dungeon thus far, while being at the appropriate level for it. I'm not sure I could do that on a Warrior, certainly not as easily. Just from the design of the Brawler block ability I don't see their solo capability falling away in 10 levels, and am guessing they've supplanted Warrior as the Solo Kings.

Warriors "One True Button" is Blade Draw. It hits like a truck, but the animation is painfully slow unless you use it after one of the five or so skills listed in the Blade Draw tooltip. One of the Blade Draw glyphs gives it a chance to not consume it's cooldown on use, so playing a DPS Warrior well means knowing the skills you can use to fire off a Blade Draw whenever you happen to have one available.

• Locked thread