Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Back in the original white box it was: Get a mouse and fly above the city, drop mouse then Reverse Gravity, Polymorph it into Blue Whale, Animal Growth, Animal Growth, Animal Growth, Flesh to Stone. As soon as that Reverse Gravity ended...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Back in the original white box it was: Get a mouse and fly above the city, drop mouse then Reverse Gravity, Polymorph it into Blue Whale, Animal Growth, Animal Growth, Animal Growth, Flesh to Stone. As soon as that Reverse Gravity ended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02a2HSB58M

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pretty much. This was done a few years before HHGttG was created though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Pretty much. This was done a few years before HHGttG was created though.

In the 70s?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yep. Hitchhiker's Guide radio show was '78 (first novel in '79) while Dungeons and Dragons came out in '74

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And the group I was playing with came out with that in '76 or '77 when I was just starting high school.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Payndz posted:

Way back in the 5e thread, I remember working out that True Polymorph could be hideously abused by turning a massive rock into a fly (under your control), making it move to a position above an enemy, then ending concentration - which turns the fly back into a massive rock that then falls for what I'm sure would be pretty high damage.

Granted, if you can cast a ninth-level spell you can probably take a more direct approach, but sometimes the Wile E Coyote tactic is funnier.

In 3E, I once worked out that a 20th level wizard could hurt someone by dropping a rock on them with Mage Hand, because the range on the spell at 20th level is just enough that the maximum weight the spell can handle will do 1d6 damage from the fall. Which is perhaps the second worst use of a combat round that a 20th-level caster could do.

e:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"And I get experience for the kills, right?"

Dareon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 16, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let's see...I'd say sixth, after ranged basic, melee basic, double move, picking your nose and assisting another.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mors Rattus posted:

Let's see...I'd say sixth, after ranged basic, melee basic, double move, picking your nose and assisting another.

Most 3E wizards do not have a ranged basic attack.

That said, I think sending out for sushi, brewing tea and filing your nails are also on the list.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They probably have a crossbow that's been on their character sheet from level 1.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dareon posted:

They probably have a crossbow that's been on their character sheet from level 1.

Well now I'm just imagining how to work a Chekov's crossbow into a game.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Point of inquiry. Does 5th Edition have rules for being crushed by a falling creature? Does it have rules for being crushed in any circumstance? Does it care about total mass, or density? Failing that, is there a landslide hazard that would suffice? Or a way to upscale a bludgeoning weapon to comparable size?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Point of inquiry. Does 5th Edition have rules for being crushed by a falling creature? Does it have rules for being crushed in any circumstance? Does it care about total mass, or density? Failing that, is there a landslide hazard that would suffice? Or a way to upscale a bludgeoning weapon to comparable size?

Ask your DM.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And the group I was playing with came out with that in '76 or '77 when I was just starting high school.

Well, dang.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am an old.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hopefully I can be one myself someday.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The bonuses to INT/WIS/CHA are nice, but I'm not convinced they're worth the STR/DEX/CON penalties. Hopefully the next patch will balance things a bit better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Speaking of stat changes

What happens if a sentient sword casts Tensor's Transformation on itself? It's a personal spell with a target of 'you' (meaning the caster), so it should be a valid target.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of stat changes

What happens if a sentient sword casts Tensor's Transformation on itself? It's a personal spell with a target of 'you' (meaning the caster), so it should be a valid target.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
In Maid RPG (yes, I know), instead of having Hit Points, your character suffers Stress. And Stress can come from anything from being beaten to the last icing-corner of a cake to being punched through a wall by a giant robot -anything that's a contest between two characters.

Now when their Stress exceeds a certain value called their Spirit, they undergo a Stress Explosion, which means they go and do something to cope - eating, hiding in a corner, going on a shopping spree, and so on. Their Stress goes down by 1 per real-time minute they indulge in this, and when it hits 0, the Stress Explosion ends. All well and good -it fits a less-serious game that isn't necessarily focused around combat.

Now some grim events and items change the Stress Explosion to "Death", signifying a darker turn. However, this doesn't otherwise change the Stress Explosion rules, meaning you die (probably horribly), are dead for a certain number of minutes, then come back to life once your Stress runs out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zemyla posted:

In Maid RPG (yes, I know)

No need for shame, Maid RPG is legitimately amazing

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Some shame is appropriate.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of stat changes

Intelligent weapons don't have physical stats or character levels, so the un-fun answer would be "those parts of the effect are wasted." The armor bonus and Fortitude save would both be useful for making it harder to hit and damage, as I recall, so it's not a complete waste. But the rules as written don't have any way for the poor angry sword able to wield itself.

That reminds me of a brief mid-level Pathfinder game I was in wherein my character was approximately three characters--a socially maladjusted psychic warrior (1) who mainly talked through her psicrystal (2) and had an intelligent sword (3). The intelligent sword had (IIRC) Alter Self as a power, and used it to take human form when, as I recall, we needed an innocuous scout who didn't look like a recently-escaped prisoner. Thus we could get some basic information without any threat to ourselves.

The game didn't last very long on account of the GM having, historically, a bad time of realizing what our characters could do, especially with players moderately versed in breaking d20.

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 24, 2016

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

TombsGrave posted:

Intelligent weapons don't have physical stats or character levels, so the un-fun answer would be "those parts of the effect are wasted." The armor bonus and Fortitude save would both be useful for making it harder to hit and damage, as I recall, so it's not a complete waste. But the rules as written don't have any way for the poor angry sword able to wield itself.

That reminds me of a brief mid-level Pathfinder game I was in wherein my character was approximately three characters--a socially maladjusted psychic warrior (1) who mainly talked through her psicrystal (2) and had an intelligent sword (3). The intelligent sword had (IIRC) Alter Self as a power, and used it to take human form when, as I recall, we needed an innocuous scout who didn't look like a recently-escaped prisoner. Thus we could get some basic information without any threat to ourselves.

The game didn't last very long on account of the GM having, historically, a bad time of realizing what our characters could do, especially with players moderately versed in breaking d20.

Some sort of animate object?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

kafziel posted:

Some sort of animate object?

Or telekinesis, that would work too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TombsGrave posted:

Intelligent weapons don't have physical stats or character levels, so the un-fun answer would be "those parts of the effect are wasted."

Rats. I was hoping the answer would be: "the Sword grows a beefy Trogdor arm."

It'd need one to make use of its new proficiency in simple and martial weapons.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 27, 2016

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

So based on the rule "all characters are proficient in unarmed strikes", an intelligent sword that could move itself around somehow but had no other special training/enchantments would probably be better at pommel-smashing enemies than actually swinging itself around point-first.

I'm sure there's a good in-game reason for this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bacon In A Wok posted:

So based on the rule "all characters are proficient in unarmed strikes", an intelligent sword that could move itself around somehow but had no other special training/enchantments would probably be better at pommel-smashing enemies than actually swinging itself around point-first.

I'm sure there's a good in-game reason for this.

It is an intelligent sword without limbs, of course it is proficient in unarmed strikes.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Wouldn't the murphy be that, for lack of a rule saying otherwise, an intelligent sword's unarmed strike would just be a regular unarmed strike as dictated by its size?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PoptartsNinja posted:

Make it a half-golem?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Eponymous posted:

Wouldn't the murphy be that, for lack of a rule saying otherwise, an intelligent sword's unarmed strike would just be a regular unarmed strike as dictated by its size?

Correct. An intelligent sword that can only make unarmed strikes suffers from a few additional quirks, namely:
- Its normal strikes deal nonlethal damage according to its size unless it takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls
- Despite being a sharp, edged weapon, it is not considered armed and can't actually take attacks of opportunity because it does not threaten any squares *
- Similarly, it provokes an attack of opportunity every time it attacks because it's attacking unarmed
- Unarmed strike damage is based on the size of the "creature", so if the weapon in question is small enough, like a dagger, it can't even deal damage with its unarmed strikes.

Every creature, no matter how absurd it would be to actually use it, is technically capable of performing an unarmed strike, and even receives multiple attacks while doing so if its base attack bonus is high enough. A T-Rex, instead of using it's bite attack, is technically capable of instead ineffectually slapping an opponent three times a round for non-lethal damage.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Olesh posted:

A T-Rex, instead of using it's bite attack, is technically capable of instead ineffectually slapping an opponent three times a round for non-lethal damage.

To be fair, that's probably about how T-Rex slapping actually works.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Eponymous posted:

Assuming that the non-Murphy is the sword dealing as much damage as, well, a sword, I am gonna play the Devil'sGrognard's Advocate here and mention that the damage scores listed for weapons are for situations were they are being swung by characters of average strength (ie 12), and the magic keeping the sword afloat might not be powerful enough.

Of course in that case the sword would still deal lethal, though significantly reduced, damage.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If I'm not mistaken, this one goes even deeper because an Animated Object has a Slam attack by default. Meaning that an animated sword, intelligent or not, can only bash a target.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Rexides posted:

Assuming that the non-Murphy is the sword dealing as much damage as, well, a sword, I am gonna play the Devil'sGrognard's Advocate here and mention that the damage scores listed for weapons are for situations were they are being swung by characters of average strength (ie 12), and the magic keeping the sword afloat might not be powerful enough.

Of course in that case the sword would still deal lethal, though significantly reduced, damage.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If I'm not mistaken, this one goes even deeper because an Animated Object has a Slam attack by default. Meaning that an animated sword, intelligent or not, can only bash a target.

While the rules for animated weapons are a horrifying clusterfuck to use from scratch on something like, say, a table, there are a few published examples of animated weapons in Pathfinder and, sensibly, they generally perform an attack with themselves - a longsword does 1d8 damage, a scythe does 2d4 damage, a dagger does 1d4 damage, etc. Absent a demonstrable means of being a weapon in its own right, however, you're correct - animated objects just get a piddly slam attack by default.

There are also two completely separate ways for making animated objects - the Animate Objects spell (which can be made permanent using the spell Permanency), and the Craft Construct feat.

The rules for designing animated objects include the ability to spend points on the object to improve it, either by making it out of metal, giving its attacks increased damage or range, allowing it to fly, etc. When using the Craft Construct feat, an object gets a certain number of starting points to spend depending on its size and then you can add additional points. This is basically fine, although nobody uses it because spending roughly a few thousand GP to make a floating sword that doesn't do much damage, isn't very good at actually hitting things, and can be broken without much effort (incidentally pouring all that money down the drain) is not seen as a wise investment, much like the rest of the Craft Construct feat. While there are no upper limits to the number of features you can add to an animated object in this way, every additional point you spend essentially adds 1,000 GP to the price and while a metal filing cabinet with three hundred clawed arms able to make a claw attack with each one looks hilarious on paper, it's ungodly expensive to animate with Craft Construct and easily breakable.

The weirdness comes in with the Animate Objects spell itself, actually, since there are no actual restrictions on what you can animate aside from a limitation on the total number/size of objects animated per casting of the spell. There's nothing stopping you from taking a longsword and going full tacticlol on it and adding metal wings, a pair of arms with claws attached, a tiny drill on the nose, a slinky on the handle, tiny candles on it, and racing stripes, and ending up with an animated longsword that flies, attacks with a pair of claws in addition to its normal longsword slash, can burrow through solid stone, can reach an area 5' further away than normal for its size, deals bonus fire damage on every attack (that can set creatures on fire unless they fail a reflex save), and goes faster than your ordinary animated longsword, which just sort of slithers or hops around on the ground and slashes at people's ankles ineffectually. They're both effectively worthless, but at least you cast the spell and didn't actually waste a feat slot and money on Craft Construct.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Now I want to play Animated Object Battlebots.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Animate a sword, a shield, and each individual piece of a suit of armour.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Splicer posted:

This is turning into less Battlebots and more Combat QWOP.

Edit: This is not a complaint.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 28, 2016

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Splicer posted:

Intelligent sword with some telekinesis, so it can move itself around, and some kind of ability to control fog or mist, so it can create a vague misty form to seem like it's holding it. Nobody will ever think to sunder the sword when they could be freaking out trying to use ghost touch weapons on the thing holding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Prism posted:

This is turning into less Battlebots and more Combat QWOP.

Edit: This is not a complaint.

Swordsman Simulator 2016.