Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just a small correction; Steam Tanks are chariots now, so you use the Initiative value of the Engineer driving it, which is 3. So Steam Tanks have a 50/50 shot of surviving the orb. Presumably the Engineer does a wheelie or perhaps rolls the tank up on two side wheels to dodge it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in the first printing of FantasyCraft a night with a really good prostitute would make you incapable of bleeding to death.

There was a list of good and services that had a section for people available for hire. Smiths, guides, etc. Also included were the prices for pleasurable company, each giving minor benefits like healing stress damage or making the character exceptionally rested (which seems like the exact opposite of what they would be?) and the most expensive option -- something like a royal courtesan -- cost a huge pile of gold per night, and instead of healing it eliminated all your stress and gave you a straight damage reduction against stress damage for a long while. Like, days.

Too much stress damage took the fight out of you and made you collapse; in SpyCraft, flashbangs did a lot of it iirc. In FantasyCraft, certain mental-focused spells or social actions/attacks did it. The Murphy steps in because for some weapons in the game, rather than doing lethal damage they did stress damage or a mix of the two. The designers apparently did this because they thought excessive bleeding was best expressed as stress since you'd just collapse from too much of it.

So if your character had some really good sex recently, they were completely invulnerable to whips, cat o' nines, razor blades, shivs, garrotes, etc.

The second printing included a new bleeding condition.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Obviously your royal courtesean was into some serious S&M if regular weapons don't even phase you.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

ellbent posted:

really good sex ... completely invulnerable to whips, cat o' nines, razor blades,

I'm not seeing the murphy

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ellbent posted:

So if your character had some really good sex recently, they were completely invulnerable to whips, cat o' nines, razor blades, shivs, garrotes, etc.

Someone is a fan of Jacqueline Carey.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
You can increase your sizein pathfinder by stacking bonuses of different sorts. In this example we're using righteous might, power of giants and enlarge person. So assuming we start with the average human we start as a medium creature. Using the power of giants we may increase our size to large, so our average height goes from 4' to 8 ft, to 8' to 16 ft. After using righteous might we become huge, our average height ranges from 16' to 32 ft. And once more we will double our average height when factoring in Enlarge person. If we find one more source we go to Colossal, the largest size category in Pathfinder.

Now what does a Colossal creature look like? Well they are they take 30ft by 30ft on the gameboard, they can reach an extra 30 ft, and they weigh "125 tons or more". Now the Murphy's here is that while a bunch of other things scale with size notablity, carrying capacity, movement speed doesn't. So assuming our human isn't wearing any medium or heavy armor he moves his normal 30 ft per turn, this is exactly as much space as takes. Within 6 seconds our giant can only move the length of his arm.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately, it specifies that multiple magical effects that increase size don't stack. None of those are Extraordinary, so only one applies.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Eox posted:

Unfortunately, it specifies that multiple magical effects that increase size don't stack. None of those are Extraordinary, so only one applies.
That's actually another Murphy, because the bit about not stacking size increases isn't stated as a general rule. Instead it's just relisted in many of the spells that increase one's size. Polymorphing spells do have a general rule that blocks this sort of thing, but otherwise the lack of a broad rule on magical size increases is a problem inherited from 3.5. :downs: (Funny enough, as 3.5 got more material you began to see several spells and effects that granted size increases but didn't include the no-stacking clause.)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Very similar to how people assume that undead weakness to positive energy is a general rule/underlying rule of the universe when it's just listed as an exception under a lot of positive energy related spells.

Gods just really hate undead.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I can't remember if anyone has mentioned The Fabled Lands in this thread. It was a set of choose-your-own-adventure books that came around at the tail-end of the CYOA craze. The big gimmick of the series was that all of the books connected to each other to basically make an open-world/sandbox RPG in book form, as opposed to the linear adventures of other books of the type. Sadly it was cancelled at book 6 of 12 because the books cost so much to make. It's an interesting series, although it does have a couple of funny rules interactions, including:

Being kidnapped for fun and profit
Book 4 of the series had a pretty cool setting, with lots of encounters based on Russian folklore. It also had a bizarrely high number of events with the bad end of "you get kidnapped by [monster/tribe], lose all items you're currently carrying and get these items instead". Almost all of these events actually had pretty rare items. So if you knew what you were doing you could grab a lot of stat-boosting items effectively for free with nothing but a starting character, all by deliberately failing every skill check you needed to take.

You could be kitted out with +3 items across the board for no cost, with the only drawback being that you had to buy a house to stash your loot in so that you didn't lose it all the next time you deliberately got yourself kidnapped to grab a +3 Centaur's Flute or whatever. But buying a house wasn't always a sure bet, because:

Possessions are fleeting
One of the cool things about the series was Resurrection Deals - you'd pay money at a church to be able to revive there the next time you died, minus your weapons and money. So you could play for a long time and really explore the world with your character without having to worry about losing all your quest progress by starting again. Obviously there had to be some way to safely store items as well, so you could buy a house in any major town.

The Murphy comes in here - one of the only houses worth using in the entire game was a hidden room in the sewers of the first book. Why? Because almost every other house in the game had a chance of burning down or being robbed every time you visited it.

That's fine when it's a shack in the pirate town. But this happens with any home you can buy - a modest townhouse, a massive mansion, whatever. I hope you're not too attached to the Sceptre of Kings or the Ring of Ultimate Power, because if you ever put them in a house you own for safekeeping you have at least a 1 in 6 chance of losing them forever.

There's a massive sidequest spread across three of the books where you can revive the High King (basically King Arthur), and as a reward you can eventually get his court wizard to magically rebuild a castle for you. You can craft one of the best items in the game with the help of this wizard, store your items, etc. But every time you visit the page for it, including the very first time, you have to roll to see if an invading army has destroyed it. A double 1, followed by 8 or less on three dice will mean it's gone forever. So you have about a 1/70 chance of getting to the end of the longest sidequest in the game and just dying with nothing to show for it.
(Or, worse, if it happens the very second time. You'd have to roll each and every time you visit the main room of the castle, and you have to visit that at least twice if you're storing any items.)

Which is why the only sane thing to do is to keep all your important possessions in the Sewer. No random events happen there, ever. Keep your unique tomes of magic, legendary artifacts, supplies of food, etc down there. You have to be high-ranking nobility to get anything that approaches the convenience of living ankle-deep in sewage.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Brofessor Slayton posted:

The Fabled Lands.

This post prompted me to look these books up, and they've apparently been reprinted and purchased by me, thanks!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also a surprisingly good computerized version of the books up available.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes Murphys make you wonder how intentional they are.

In Horus Heresy, the wargame put out by Forge World taking place ten thousand years in the past of Warhammer 40.000, you can take a Katana as an equipment for some space marines. They call them "Charnabal Sabres" but

quote:

Charnabal Sabre
With their origins tracing back to the ancient duelling societies,
assassin cults and bloody vendettas of the Terran Courts during the
Age of Strife, these elegant and deadly weapons rely on speed and
dexterity rather than brute force for their lethality. The pure metal
of their blades is press-folded and stamped scores of times over
before being micro-serrated with a fractal-sharp edge. The master
swordsmiths of Terra are each said to have their own rituals of forging,
impressing a distinct pattern in each bespoke blade as legible as a
signature to those with the wit to read them. in each bespoke blade as legible as a
signature to those with the wit to read them.

It's a katana, okay? We get it. It has three special rules: One is called Master-Crafted (because of course it is), another gives a bonus during duels, and the third is Rending. Among the other effects of rending, a particularly powerful hit with a Rending sword can damage vehicles; a 6 on a D6 translates into a Glancing hit on a vehicle, removing a hull point from it. And most vehicles have three hull points, so that's not an insignificant piece of tank.

So in the thirty-first millenium of mankind, at the dawn of the heresy that will sunder the Imperium of man, you can kit your genetically engineered Space Marine supermen with superior masterwork folded katanas that can cut through tank barrels.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 12, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So why is Horus Heresy not simply called Warhammer 30K?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So in the thirty-first millenium of mankind, at the dawn of the heresy that will sunder the Imperium of man, you can kit your genetically engineered Space Marine supermen with superior masterwork folded katanas that can cut through tank barrels.

I'm just impressed that there's not a japanese themed space marine chapter yet.

PJOmega posted:

So why is Horus Heresy not simply called Warhammer 30K?

Because it only deals with the space marines/other imperial forces. No alien races present in it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

kannonfodder posted:

I'm just impressed that there's not a japanese themed space marine chapter yet.

Sadly, the Tau cornered that market already. (And we're all the better for it)

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The Emperor sighed as he drew his hanzo steel.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Samurai action films are called "chambara", so I'd imagine the silly katana resemblance is 100% intentional.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jigokuman posted:

Samurai action films are called "chambara", so I'd imagine the silly katana resemblance is 100% intentional.

The whole of 40k is just in jokes and puns, so yeah entirely intentional.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Through a long an convoluted process, some friends and I figured out how to deal nearly 2000-4000d6's worth of damage with a dangerously minimal amount of munchkining going on.

Step one: Get a red dragon that is at least old, for it's 200ft fly speed. Apply the run and improved speed feats (+20ft speed, +1 maneuverability), give it a belt of battle so it can take 3 movement actions in a turn, cast haste on it(+30 movement speed) and teach it how to use the dread carapace soulmeld, bound to the feet chakra (magic of incarnum). That last one will give it a 60ft speed increase, once per minute.

Now that we have all this laid out, what does it mean? Well, fly of 220, boosted by the haste, and when the time is right, triggering the dread carapace effect gives it a total of 310 fly speed. Run kicks that up to 1550. Second move action makes that 3100. The 3rd movement action (Spent from belt of battle) adds another 1550 for a total of 4650ft traveled in one turn. That's fast.

Now put it into a dive. That's a 2x multiplier, bring this red dragon up to traveling 9300 ft in one round, or 1550 feet per second.

Mach 1 is about 1115 feet per second. Your red dragon is now traveling just shy of mach 1.4, and now we get to weaponize this. A lot of abilities or effects end up throwing characters or creatures, which almost invariably runs on falling damage.

Now at this point, we have to actually break a rule. Falling damage is capped at 20d6, but that's clearly because terminal velocity is a thing, so let's disable that cap for a moment (since we left terminal velocity way behind). Consider this a 'high speed collision' houserule. I mean gently caress, we're going at mach 1 after all.

Now, you'll you'll have to take my word on this since I used a calculator (http://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed) and don't really intend on showing the math, but to hit the ground at mach 1 you'll have to fall about 19350 feet if wind resistance was not a thing. Since we're traveling at that speed, let's say our red dragon grabbed some very unfortunate dude and releases him at speed just before skimming over a cliff. Dude splatters, because of course he does, and using the equivalent falling distance, takes 1935d6. Just for fun, if instead we released at mach 1.4, that would require an altitude of 40860 feet to reach 'naturally', for a total of 4086d6. The red dragon is kind of a dick.

Total cost: One old red dragon, 2 feats and a few class levels, a belt of battle, a spell that many items can cast on you, and an extrapolation. I'd love to see somebody top this without A: using higher level magic or B: spending more money on equipment. Any challengers?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Rorac posted:

Through a long an convoluted process, some friends and I figured out how to deal nearly 2000-4000d6's worth of damage with a dangerously minimal amount of munchkining going on.

Step one: Get a red dragon that is at least old, for it's 200ft fly speed. Apply the run and improved speed feats (+20ft speed, +1 maneuverability), give it a belt of battle so it can take 3 movement actions in a turn, cast haste on it(+30 movement speed) and teach it how to use the dread carapace soulmeld, bound to the feet chakra (magic of incarnum). That last one will give it a 60ft speed increase, once per minute.

Now that we have all this laid out, what does it mean? Well, fly of 220, boosted by the haste, and when the time is right, triggering the dread carapace effect gives it a total of 310 fly speed. Run kicks that up to 1550. Second move action makes that 3100. The 3rd movement action (Spent from belt of battle) adds another 1550 for a total of 4650ft traveled in one turn. That's fast.

Now put it into a dive. That's a 2x multiplier, bring this red dragon up to traveling 9300 ft in one round, or 1550 feet per second.

Mach 1 is about 1115 feet per second. Your red dragon is now traveling just shy of mach 1.4, and now we get to weaponize this. A lot of abilities or effects end up throwing characters or creatures, which almost invariably runs on falling damage.

Now at this point, we have to actually break a rule. Falling damage is capped at 20d6, but that's clearly because terminal velocity is a thing, so let's disable that cap for a moment (since we left terminal velocity way behind). Consider this a 'high speed collision' houserule. I mean gently caress, we're going at mach 1 after all.

Now, you'll you'll have to take my word on this since I used a calculator (http://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed) and don't really intend on showing the math, but to hit the ground at mach 1 you'll have to fall about 19350 feet if wind resistance was not a thing. Since we're traveling at that speed, let's say our red dragon grabbed some very unfortunate dude and releases him at speed just before skimming over a cliff. Dude splatters, because of course he does, and using the equivalent falling distance, takes 1935d6. Just for fun, if instead we released at mach 1.4, that would require an altitude of 40860 feet to reach 'naturally', for a total of 4086d6. The red dragon is kind of a dick.

Total cost: One old red dragon, 2 feats and a few class levels, a belt of battle, a spell that many items can cast on you, and an extrapolation. I'd love to see somebody top this without A: using higher level magic or B: spending more money on equipment. Any challengers?

CL20 Footsteps of the Divine potion, polymorph into a cheetah, get flight. You gain something like 250 feet of speed, plus a cheetah's base landspeed, multiplied by two thanks to flight, then by ten thanks to the cheetah's special sprint ability. Add the dive multiplier and you've multiplied by 40. I believe you enter hypersonic speeds at that point? There's a couple other multipliers we could tack on, but this is the Budget Variant - all told, this living missile costs about 5k or so, which is a complete bargain. For something like 1k more, tops, you can also make it reusable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Transient People posted:

For something like 1k more, tops, you can also make it reusable.

Well, apart from the fact that you're incredibly dead.

How does the Peasant Railgun compare in damage?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Infinitely poorly, as the peasant railgun is useful only for transportation, not as a weapon - while it will move an object at infinite speed, the object has zero momentum.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

The Lone Badger posted:

Well, apart from the fact that you're incredibly dead.

How does the Peasant Railgun compare in damage?

No, that's the trick. For 1k more you can afford a potion of Delay Death (and maybe Beastland Ferocity) and then just heal yourself up from Negative Kajillion before it expires. By drowning yourself, for instance, or just spamming Heal if you don't want to pile on another Murphy. Any creature with Regeneration will also just get KO'd instead of dying, so you could launch Troll missiles forever without any extra preparation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Infinitely poorly, as the peasant railgun is useful only for transportation, not as a weapon - while it will move an object at infinite speed, the object has zero momentum.
Yes, a peasant "railgun" moves it from one end to the other instantly, then the peasant throws it using the normal throwing rules. D&D 3.x doesn't care about momentum in anywhere except I think maybe flying rules.

Transient People posted:

No, that's the trick. For 1k more you can afford a potion of Delay Death (and maybe Beastland Ferocity) and then just heal yourself up from Negative Kajillion before it expires. By drowning yourself, for instance, or just spamming Heal if you don't want to pile on another Murphy. Any creature with Regeneration will also just get KO'd instead of dying, so you could launch Troll missiles forever without any extra preparation.
Drowning yourself may not work, as there's nothing in the rules about stopping drowning, but let's not get into that again. Better to just get Regeneration somehow so we don't need to.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Zereth posted:

Yes, a peasant "railgun" moves it from one end to the other instantly, then the peasant throws it using the normal throwing rules. D&D 3.x doesn't care about momentum in anywhere except I think maybe flying rules.

Drowning yourself may not work, as there's nothing in the rules about stopping drowning, but let's not get into that again. Better to just get Regeneration somehow so we don't need to.
Or use the crisis of breath psionic power. It's just like drowning, except you can make saves against it and the original caster can dismiss it.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Drowning talk- Dont know if this has been mentioned before.

-Frenzied berserker buckets.

Drowning in DnD 3.5 states that once you begin to drown, you go to -4 hp and dying.
Frenzied berserkers had a special rage. During your rage, you COULD NOT DIE to hp damage. Dragon could sit on you until your at -200 hp, but so long as your raging your not going down. When your rage ends though, your totally dead. But you go out in a sweet blaze of glory.

Drowning rules come it to play here when you hold person the zerker and shove his head in a bucket of water, resetting his hp to -4.
From there his rage ends, and your cleric gives him the old good game butt pat to stabilize.

We used a psion (to teleport and then control him after the massacre) to turn our frenzied berserker party member into what is essentially a human bomb.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As I previously noted. the drowning rules contain no provisions for stopping drowning. Nor do they actually say that you die.

As Zemyla just noted, however, you can use Crisis of Breath, which has the the same "set HP to 0" wording. But it's specifically noted as being escapable with healing, or even just sitting at 0 and using your one action a turn to breathe and not fall into Dying.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In Pathfinder, Improved Familiar lets spellcasters with familiars get stronger little buddies with spell-like abilities, like a tiny dragon or a fiendish tumble pig. Most of these options are limited by your alignment, however one is notably usable by anyone of any moral character:

The Severed Head.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Eox posted:

In Pathfinder, Improved Familiar lets spellcasters with familiars get stronger little buddies with spell-like abilities, like a tiny dragon or a fiendish tumble pig. Most of these options are limited by your alignment, however one is notably usable by anyone of any moral character:

The Severed Head.

I don't see how this is Murphy's.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"I present Archmage Hoarvath, champion of all that is good and pure in the land, slayer of the seven Balor of Mar'zal. And his companion, an incoherently screaming severed head animated by the intrinsically evil forces of undeath."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh duh. Yeah, that's pretty good.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Eox posted:

The Severed Head.

If I ever had to play PF, I'm going to make sure I play as TNO and Morte since you have brought this to my attention.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007

Eox posted:

"I present Archmage Hoarvath, champion of all that is good and pure in the land, slayer of the seven Balor of Mar'zal. And his companion, an incoherently screaming severed head animated by the intrinsically evil forces of undeath."

So you're saying you're really boring?

Edit to be less snark: DnD alignment only really breaks down when its super strict, everyone who's Lawful Good follows sacred oaths, and everyone who's Chaotic Evil is just Loki at all times.
Being fluid with alignment, and make it more the characters goal is far more interesting. On top of that, decisions like "what my familiar is" say a lot about a character, the default Raven is not only an iconic quick way of saying "this is a wizard" but implies that the mage is tricky and perceptive, if my lawful good mage has a severed head, there's probably a reason for that, and said reason is probably pretty awesome, or the player really wants an homage to Bob the Severed head, whatever works.

Anti-Citizen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 22, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
DnD alignment is basically a huge Murphy on its own, yes.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
oh no I definitely would want to play an LG wizard with an angry flying head given some horrible semblance of life as his advisor, it's just particularly hilarious what with how diligent Paizo has been about stamping out non-evil undead. There was an Oracle mystery that let you create zombies who shared your alignment, but they errata'd it out and made some boring replacement. As it stands I think the only other cases are ghosts and Yellow Musk Creeper zombies (Basically cordyceps)

e: CG/CN wizard who is legally no longer allowed to practice enchantment or necromancy, with the severed head of his lawyer as a familiar

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

So you're saying you're really boring?

Edit to be less snark: DnD alignment only really breaks down when its super strict, everyone who's Lawful Good follows sacred oaths, and everyone who's Chaotic Evil is just Loki at all times.
Being fluid with alignment, and make it more the characters goal is far more interesting. On top of that, decisions like "what my familiar is" say a lot about a character, the default Raven is not only an iconic quick way of saying "this is a wizard" but implies that the mage is tricky and perceptive, if my lawful good mage has a severed head, there's probably a reason for that, and said reason is probably pretty awesome, or the player really wants an homage to Bob the Severed head, whatever works.

Working as Intended.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I would totally just take the flaming head, then dress my character as Link and go around all tense looking, whipping around to make sure where the skull is every once in a while.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007

kafziel posted:

Working as Intended.

Exactly!