Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

homeless poster posted:

I think it's Mouse Guard that has your inventory as just an empty box on your sheet, and your character can carry as much as you, the player, can physically write into the inventory box. So if you can get really tiny, mono-width handwriting, you can carry a lot more than someone who writes in big block letters.

It's not like a super engaging mini-game, but it's at least a quirky take on the premise.

In the special box edition which is near impossible to get, the character sheet has a picture of your mouse on it and your inventory is whatever you, the player, can manage to draw your mouse carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

homeless poster posted:

I think it's Mouse Guard that has your inventory as just an empty box on your sheet, and your character can carry as much as you, the player, can physically write into the inventory box. So if you can get really tiny, mono-width handwriting, you can carry a lot more than someone who writes in big block letters.

It's not like a super engaging mini-game, but it's at least a quirky take on the premise.

Colored inks and various colors of plastic overlay?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

xiw posted:

This image all by itself sold me on the book and game

Well no wonder. There's no space between belt and shoes so presumably your character has their naughty bits exposed to the world at all times.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well no wonder. There's no space between belt and shoes so presumably your character has their naughty bits exposed to the world at all times.

Man, that would mean everyone can see your small sack.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No presumably about it, there's a box for Skin *right there*

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I will defend Torchbearer to my grave.

It is the first game to get me excited about inventory management.

My players continue to prefer Dungeon World to me cackling about needing a new torch, for reasons I can not comprehend.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

xiw posted:

No presumably about it, there's a box for Skin *right there*

It's a campaign specific thing. In that world, people know what the real threat is. The thing that conceals the hidden daggers, crossbows, and everything else that suddenly makes people dead.

Pants are deadly, and have been properly outlawed.

Sure, you're constantly exposed to a little full frontal. But isn't that a small price to pay for security?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NameHurtBrain posted:

It's a campaign specific thing. In that world, people know what the real threat is. The thing that conceals the hidden daggers, crossbows, and everything else that suddenly makes people dead.

Pants are deadly, and have been properly outlawed.

Sure, you're constantly exposed to a little full frontal. But isn't that a small price to pay for security?
So your argument here is that standard fantasy rpgs use Guybrush Threepwood inventory management?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Going by that logic, I can take climbing gear, books and maps, and a large staff and apparently be ready for trouble in some way/an operative on a mission.

Given that Blades is set in a haunted industrial fantasy city, I'm pretty sure climbing gear, books and maps, and a large staff paints you as "probably some flavor of nefarious second-story magician," sooo...

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I will defend Torchbearer to my grave.

It is the first game to get me excited about inventory management.

My players continue to prefer Dungeon World to me cackling about needing a new torch, for reasons I can not comprehend.

In the space of one character creation session, I went from disappointed that my elf ranger's randomly-rolled spell was not-Tenser's Floating Disc, to loving elated.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

Given that Blades is set in a haunted industrial fantasy city, I'm pretty sure climbing gear, books and maps, and a large staff paints you as "probably some flavor of nefarious second-story magician," sooo...
Yeah openly carrying climbing gear inside a city is a bit on the odd side.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Itinerant Window Washer

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Would I like Torchbearer if I think inventory management is a good mechanic, but loathe any time I have to care about if the party has appropriate torches? (Not in part because it always feels like there will only be one player that doesn't have special vision by default?)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Would I like Torchbearer if I think inventory management is a good mechanic, but loathe any time I have to care about if the party has appropriate torches? (Not in part because it always feels like there will only be one player that doesn't have special vision by default?)

Tracking light sources, including who has what kind of light source, is a pretty big part of Torchbearer. I mean, come on, Torchbearer.

From memory, nobody gets special vision.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 9, 2015

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I thought I remembered dwarves and maybe elves getting special vision, like low-light vision but it was always hosed over by any light sources near them, in Torchbearer. I don't know for sure because my book is all the way over there.
:effort:
But either way yeah light management is kind of a thing because it lays out specifically "this lightsource provides bright light for this many people, and dim light fort his many people and dim light makes you roll shittier" and stuff like that. Also the game encourages the GM to do stuff like have your torch get snuffed out if you screw up rolls.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah nobody gets special vision in TB., and time tracking is built into the core mechanic so it is very clear when your torches run out..

TB's mechanics naturally produce a variety of fun dramatic situations that never happen in d&d - I've had parties chased off my monsters and being lost in the underworld, and pcs stuck in the dark with no light and having to explore by feel and smell and hearing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A revival for a semi-interesting Murphy in 5e, in this case with it being unusually precise in its rules:

The Way of Shadow is a monk archetype that monks can take at level 3, and is the choice for those monks that enjoy acting like ninjas and having shadow-like magical powers like shadow-stepping. They can use their ki to cast the Darkvision and Darkness spells, and have other abilities that let them do things in the dark.

Darkvision is a spell that grants the 'darkvision' ability to the target. It lets you see in the dark.

Darkness is a spell that creates magical darkness. As per the wording of the spell, it explicitly cannot be seen through with normal darkvision - you need True Seeing.

But a level 2 and above warlock can see through it with the Devil's Sight invocation, which explicitly works on magical darkness.

And so in DnD5e, a ninja can create a darkness so deep that even he can't see in it.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
If you're melee and don't have blind fighting, you may as well just reroll anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bewilderment posted:

And so in DnD5e, a ninja can create a darkness so deep that even he can't see in it.

I think what makes this into a real Murphy is that not only can the level 3 ninja not see out of the cloud of darkness he created to hide himself, a lower level warlock can see in. Teenage Mutant Ninja Ostriches?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Make Devil's Sight only work on magical darkness. He can't see through regular darkness.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jedit posted:

I think what makes this into a real Murphy is that not only can the level 3 ninja not see out of the cloud of darkness he created to hide himself, a lower level warlock can see in. Teenage Mutant Ninja Ostriches?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Squid anyway. On the bright side, it lets the warlock announce "I Magic Missile Eldritch Blast the darkness!" and have it be the correct choice to make.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If we're talking dumb 5e Murphy's, let's talk about Spellcasting Focuses.
The rules in the players handbook read as such

quote:

Casting some spells requires particular objects specified in parentheses in the component entry. a character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell. If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to use these components but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.
Very few spells actually consume their components, even the ones with given costs. So you still need a pinch of bat guano to cast fireball, but then you just put it back in your pouch for later. There are also spells that have given GP costs that make almost no sense, like Chromatic Orb, which is a fairly decent spellcasting option, it lets you deal 3d8 damage of any type at level 1, but it has a 50gp diamond as a material component(Not consumed, thank pelor) which very few starting characters would be able to afford.

Now where does this get into Murphy's Territory? Why, for that we turn to the sage advice column, where apparently people think "Can a spell with an attack roll be used as the attack in the Attack action or as part of the Extra Attack feature?" is a properly formatted question.
Seriously the sage advice column is a Murphy's Grogmine, Focuses are just the tip of the iceberg

quote:

If a spell's material components are consumed, can a spellcasting focus still be used in place of the consumed component?

Nope. A spellcasting focus can be used in place of a material component only if that component has no cost noted in the spell’s description and if that component isn’t consumed.

quote:

What’s the amount of interaction needed to use a spellcasting focus? Does it have to be included in the somatic component?

If a spell has a material component, you need to handle that component when you cast the spell (see page 203 in the Player’s Handbook). The same rule applies if you’re using a spellcasting focus as the material component.

If a spell has a somatic component, you can use the hand that performs the somatic component to also handle the material component. For example, a wizard who uses an orb as a spellcasting focus could hold a quarterstaff in one hand and the orb in the other, and he could cast lightning bolt by using the orb as the spell’s material component and the orb hand to perform the spell’s somatic component.

Another example: a cleric’s holy symbol is emblazoned on her shield. She likes to wade into melee combat with a mace in one hand and a shield in the other. She uses the holy symbol as her spellcasting focus, so she needs to have the shield in hand when she casts a cleric spell that has a material component. If the spell, such as aid, also has a somatic component, she can perform that component with the shield hand and keep holding the mace in the other.

If the same cleric casts cure wounds, she needs to put the mace or the shield away, because that spell doesn’t have a material component but does have a somatic component. She’s going to need a free hand to make the spell’s gestures. If she had the War Caster feat, she could ignore this restriction.

So, apparently spellcasting focuses oblivate the need for *all* components of a spell, which was not mentioned ANYWHERE in the PHB. But only if that spell has a material component and only if that material component does not have a cost listed and is not consumed in the spell's casting. One of the wizard focuses is a staff. Meaning that you would have to drop and pick up your staff depending on which spell you're casting. Fireball? You're A-OK. Thunderwave? Nope, no material component. Chromatic orb? Nope, material component has a given cost. The only way around this problem is to either A: not use focuses, because the only stated benefit they give you is letting you ignore components... which a spell component pouch and a free hand sort of does anyway since components aren't consumed. or, if you're a melee character and want to use a 2h weapon or weapon/shield and still cast spells, you need to pick up a feat.

Did I mention that in fifth edition feats are an optional rule that you need your DM's approval to use? And if you're not a human you need to wait until 4th level to pick one up, and you only get to pick them in lieu of an ability score increase?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Kurieg posted:

Did I mention that in fifth edition feats are an optional rule that you need your DM's approval to use? And if you're not a human you need to wait until 4th level to pick one up, and you only get to pick them in lieu of an ability score increase?

Which is good, because feats are still stupid in 5e, though much better than they've been in previous editions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, you can't even hold your staff in one hand while you're spellcasting (leaving your other hand free), and then grab it with both hands when you want to hit something with it?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Jabor posted:

Wait, you can't even hold your staff in one hand while you're spellcasting (leaving your other hand free), and then grab it with both hands when you want to hit something with it?

I ... would think you could? I mean, in every previous version, you're able to hold a two-handed weapon in one hand, you just need both hands to use it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

kafziel posted:

I ... would think you could? I mean, in every previous version, you're able to hold a two-handed weapon in one hand, you just need both hands to use it.

There was even a rule that changing the number of hands you were using to hold an object was a free action, which if I recall correctly had an associated Murphy.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Maleketh posted:

There was even a rule that changing the number of hands you were using to hold an object was a free action, which if I recall correctly had an associated Murphy.

I know Pathfinder has a rules FAQ on this very subject - basically you can grasp/release a two-handed weapon as a free action, or swap items between hands (so a cleric, for example, using a shield and a weapon can swap her weapon into her shield hand, cast a spell, and then swap the weapon back). I'd be surprised if there wasn't a similar line somewhere in 4E/5E. I'd be interested to see what Murphy is associated with that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's the old "tie a mouse to my hand" story relating to weapon cords. A free action became a swift action became a way to make sure it's still a pain in the rear end to recover a dropped weapon. Basically it comes down to "we don't want you to have fun with these martial characters"

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Actually, the weapon cord originally made retrieving a dropped weapon a swift action, which someone then changed to a move action. Which is the normal action used to pick up an item on the floor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Because one of the designers tied a mouse to his wrist by the cord and tried to catch it and said it was pretty hard :psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

Because one of the designers tied a mouse to his wrist by the cord and tried to catch it and said it was pretty hard :psyduck:
After an hour or so of practice.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
All that would make a tiny bit of sense if disarmed weapons had a chance to be knocked away from a combatant and the weapon cord simply made it always fall into the square.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

After an hour or so of practice.

This is inevitably the reason martial characters get poo poo on.

"I practiced with a bow over the weekend and couldn't hit much" versus "imagine how awesome throwing a fireball would be."

Ignoring the fact that a martial character is practicing his craft for hours every day. It's much easier to imagine reading a book, nerding up, then overpowering thewdarians with your mind.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I once had a guy tell me that a two handed war hammer was stupid and shouldn't be usable because "try swinging a sledge hammer around and see how fast it is."

He didn't really have a response when I reminded him how much a STR 24 raging barbarian could bench.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Moriatti posted:

I once had a guy tell me that a two handed war hammer was stupid and shouldn't be usable because "try swinging a sledge hammer around and see how fast it is."

He didn't really have a response when I reminded him how much a STR 24 raging barbarian could bench.

He's never seen a hammer throw competition then either. or a Caber toss.

Alternatively he could watch some sledge hammer workout videos, I could see people using those in combat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Moriatti posted:

A lot of DnD weapons take the devices out of their historical context. Which is fine.

The real weirdness is how swords are the baseline. It's an artifact of DnD, where being hit isn't a problem until you hit zero, therefore why not get in the face of the 25 foot monstrosity. No reason to harry it with spears.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Warhammers were drastically lighter than a sledgehammer, for precisely this reason.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I think it's worth talking about why weapon cords got nerfed. You see, most classes don't give a drat about weapon cords because no one ever tries to disarm you. You can't use another weapon with a hand that has another weapon hanging from it, so you can't even leave a crossbow on a weapon cord in case you need a ranged weapon. In fact, there is only a single build that wanted to use weapon cords: gunslingers that want to be cool and fight with two pistols. You see, no matter how quickly you're able to reload a gun, you need a free hand to actually reload it. You don't have a free hand to reload if you have a gun in each hand. Now, I'm sure you're asking, why don't people who want to dual wield pistols just carry a ton of pistols and drop them after firing them like Blackbeard did? Well, guns are also super expensive. One single shot pistol costs a thousand gold. By the time you get enough money to afford multiple guns, you're far enough into the game that you start to need magic weapons to do any real damage. It's just not feasible to have a ton of guns.

Now, enter weapon cords. Without weapon cords you have to drop one of your pistols to reload the other and then drop that one to pick up and reload the thousand-gold pistol you just dropped on the ground and then pick up that one and basically you just wasted an entire round picking your weapons back up. Since tying each pistol onto a weapon cord makes it a swift action to pick it back up instead of a move action, they make dual-wielding pistols relatively feasible. Unfortunately, the Paizo forums think guns and gunslingers are way better than they are and the kind of people that get mad about guns in their fantasy game get really mad about people trying to be like John Woo and dual wielding pistols in their fantasy game. This means people raised a huge fuss about how dumb weapon cords are and this eventually lead to Bulhman nerfing weapon cords after playing with his mouse all morning. Now, weapon cords are objectively kind of goofy, but no one paid any attention to them before dual-wielding gunslingers started using them because no one before them cared about disarming enough to spend five gold on them.

Oh, and the dual-wielding gunslingers that are really the only people hurt by this rules change? Don't worry about them, they have other ways to reload their guns at a reasonable speed. They just need to take enough levels of Alchemist to grow a mutant third arm which reloads their guns, or they can take enough levels in wizard/sorcerer to cast the "reload your guns without using your hands" spell. which are clearly more logical solutions to this problem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can't they get magic auto-reloading guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The Lone Badger posted:

Can't they get magic auto-reloading guns?

Or have a follower do it.

My theory is that once a rulebook hits 200+ pages, it can no longer use the Rule of Cool. Instead, it uses the Rule of Rules.