Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Depending on how much damage being in a blizzard does, it might be overall easier to just constantly chug healing potions, or have the (protected) part cleric spam his wand of Cure Wounds at you through the night. You have to be unprotected, but not unhealed!

e: New page, so a very simple 5e Murphy again with warlocks and their sight:

Almost every race that has Darkvision gets it out to 60 feet. Orcs, dwarves, whatever.
The warlock's Devil's Sight invocation gets them the ability to see in darkness, including magical darkness (which, by the way, darkvision can't do) to 120 feet.
The range of the warlock bread-and-butter cantrip, Eldritch Blast, is about that long.

While of limited utility indoors unless you're going to cast the Darkness spell earlier in the thread, this does mean that when travelling outdoors, a warlock with Devil's Sight's best plan when travelling through the wilderness is to travel only during the dark night, shooting eldritch blasts at anything that looks hostile, because it'll take the average enemy at least two rounds to reach them, assuming they even know what direction they're being shot at from.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hog Inspector posted:

To top it off, you can take a single level of the prestige class Mindbender. Level 1 of mindbender gives you the power to communicate telepathically with any creature up to 100 feet away that has a language. So now you're a magical bear with frost powers who can communicate telepathically. At this point you might as well give up adventuring and go star in a children's novel.

It gets better: In the Lords of Madness splatbook, which covers illithids, aboleths, and other squamous horrors bent on destroying the mind of mortal man, hidden in the back is the feat Mindsight. It's a very good feat and I can understand why they wanted to hide it by not placing it in the Character Options section. It lets you automatically know the position (Among other things) of any creature with a mind within your telepathy radius. This isn't a racial feat or anything, it's not limited to the monster whose chapter it appears in, all it requires is telepathy.

Suddenly the only things that can reliably ambush you are undead, golems, plants, and very good archers.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Also, turning into a bear may count as being protected from the blizzard.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zemyla posted:

Also, turning into a bear may count as being protected from the blizzard.

another example of how natural language only enhances the D&D experience. :allears:

is a polar bear implicitly protected from any effects that a blizzard might impose? does turning into an animal that can automatically survive in arctic conditions count as protection from said conditions? if the shapeshifting is an (NA) or (SU) ability, does using it really violate the implied terms of surviving a blizzard unprotected, since those are abilites you innately possess, and not special class related magic tricks? to that extent, does my innate ability to respirate or ciculate blood count against surviving "unprotected" because they allow me to transfer and relegate heat throughout my body? what if i am asleep but another wizard enchants me and while i am under his compulsion, i am forced to morph into a bear and sit in a blizzard for a whole day. do i automatically get the prestiege requirements? technically it doesn't say that i have to spend a contiguous 24 hours in a blizzard, so could i automatically qualify based on the age of my character and the assumption that if you count all of the times i have ever been out in a blizzard unprotected over the course of my life, the total duration may exceed 24 hours?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Out of curiosity, does it ever say anywhere in 3.x that prestige class prereqs must be earned during play? Could I avoid all this nonsense by writing "At the age of 3 Ursa Frosticus survived unprotected for 24 hours in a blizzard" in my backstory?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Out of curiosity, does it ever say anywhere in 3.x that prestige class prereqs must be earned during play? Could I avoid all this nonsense by writing "At the age of 3 Ursa Frosticus survived unprotected for 24 hours in a blizzard" in my backstory?

Survived? The PRC doesn't say you had to survive. Just be out there for 24 hours until your body is found and resurrected.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it does say anywhere but it's hard to tell. The main thing is the required stats and abilities so you don't take Godslayer at level 2, and there's no parameters for what counts as a blizzard or protection or what save it should be. I can't imagine really any wizards outside of crazy high levels who can even survive that without protective spells and gear. It'd be easier to achieve with a barbarian who dips into sorcery for a level and grabs arcane knowledge skills.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chaos rhames posted:

I don't think it does say anywhere but it's hard to tell. The main thing is the required stats and abilities so you don't take Godslayer at level 2, and there's no parameters for what counts as a blizzard or protection or what save it should be. I can't imagine really any wizards outside of crazy high levels who can even survive that without protective spells and gear. It'd be easier to achieve with a barbarian who dips into sorcery for a level and grabs arcane knowledge skills.

the ironic thing is that when PrCs used very explicit gating (skill reqs or feat chains or proficiencies or etc) they are almost always completely antithetical to the type of class that would actually want the PrC, hence a barbarian or even a bear somehow being best suited for a winter wizard class. see also: martial PrCs with skill reqs that include skills that aren't class skills for any martial class, thus requiring that you waste a feat getting the skill out of the cross class category, divine/arcane caster PrCs with such absurdly specific yet unintentionally vague conditions that they basically boil down to "play Mother May I with your GM", etc.

actually the entirety of PrCs from 3.X are probably best described as "play Mother May I with your GM". because you can't just say that your character is a member of the scarlet order of monks for flavor reasons if you don't explicitly have class levels in the scarlet order of monks PrC (note: this monk PrC requires that you have arcane spell casting abilities and a feat chain that's really only useful to bards)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

It wasn't a perfect system but anything that produces a class called "rage mage" can't be all bad

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Crossquoting:

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Holy poo poo, I know there isn't a lot of love for Warhammer in this thread and there absolutely shouldn't be because it's garbage, but the current warhammer thread is really worth checking out.

They just released a new edition of fantasy and the rules are batshit. You don't so much build an army as much as you just pile miniatures onto the table until you literally run out of space. People were expecting the usual combination of grognardy stuff, forced miniature purchases and imbalances but what they got...

As an example, there's one model who is an insane knight. He has the usual things you'd expect for a wargame - bonuses in some areas, penalties in others. Want an extra edge though? If you run around the table pretending to ride an invisible horse he can re-roll his dice. He gets a stronger bonus if you talk to the horse.

There's a model that forces your opponent to have a staring contest with you. There's a model that gets better if you are holding an alcoholic beverage and one that gets better if you hold a drink aloft and proclaim the honor of "the lady." There's a character that gives you a bonus if your mustache is larger than your opponent's. There are units that force you to not smile during your turn and one that causes you to instantly lose if you ever kneel. Dancing if you play chaos gets you extra rolls and getting your opponent to dance with you is even more effective.

It is also literally possible within the framework of the game rules to offer to blow your opponent. If they accept you get to take one of their units.

The rest of the rules are about as awful looking as can be expected but GW is now asking the kind of people who want to meticulously paint 40 Brettonian knights to run circles around a table yelling at their horsey. Game stores are gonna get real weird if this takes off.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's like if Unglued became the standard for Magic.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Crossquoting:

While most of that's just stupid rather than an outright murphy, the real murphy is the center-left thing in that image, the bit with the screaming bell. You're not misreading that - if you roll a 13 on 2d6 (i.e. something literally impossible normally) you win the game immediately. Sounds like a dumb gag rule, right?

There's a magic item or spell or something that lets you change the result of a die roll to any number you want, including those not normally on a d6.

You can combine these to win on turn 1 as your first action in the game.

Of course, the entire rest of the game is just as stupid and broken, including (RAW) the ability to take a single house as your entire force and win automatically if the opponent has brought at least 3 models to the table (and if they brought less, an interminable stalemate).

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This game is like a zombie infecting every single thread and I love it.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

President Ark posted:

While most of that's just stupid rather than an outright murphy, the real murphy is the center-left thing in that image, the bit with the screaming bell. You're not misreading that - if you roll a 13 on 2d6 (i.e. something literally impossible normally) you win the game immediately. Sounds like a dumb gag rule, right?

There's a magic item or spell or something that lets you change the result of a die roll to any number you want, including those not normally on a d6.

Of course, the entire rest of the game is just as stupid and broken, including (RAW) the ability to take a single house as your entire force and win automatically if the opponent has brought at least 3 models to the table (and if they brought less, an interminable stalemate).

You can also garrison a house with any unit. Garrisoned units can deploy anywhere within 6 inches of their house on your turn. Houses are a kind of unit, so you can nest them inside one another during deployment and then release a chain of houses across the map as your first move. The last house will obviously contain 500 trolls or demons or whatever, which is also technically a single unit.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And currently as written, you take "Warscrolls" in your army. Any warscroll. Terrain is a warscroll. You can plonk down a single piece of terrain and say you're done, that's your army. Then you declare it your general.

If your opponent brings two or more models, you can then declade a Sudden Death Victory. Basically, if your opponent used the "no limits" army rules to give himself no limits and you get outnumbered, you get to choose from a list of objectives you can fulfill to win instantly. One of them is to have a model still on the table at the end of turn 6.

It's impossible to destroy terrain.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Is this what it's like to see a game in its death throes? Because this is amazing entertainment.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RBH, please explain the clandestine, secret meetings by GW staff with prominent players to illicitly develop and distribute army construction rules.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The rumor is, Age of Sigmar devs were going around chatrooms they frequent distributing patch rules. The only evidence I've seen:

But it brings up even more murphies. You see that "no dupe heroes" line? That means no duplicate heroes. Including unique heroes. You can bring as many unique special characters as you want in as many copies as you want right now. You can field an entire army of nothing but Josef Bugmans, Dwarf Brewers.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

was this ruleset made to specifically cater to a much younger audience? thats the only explanation I can think of that makes any sense

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Games Workshop has declared their hatred of competitive wargaming and their desire that their games should be used for the joy of creating story a few times in the past.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

Games Workshop has declared their hatred of competitive wargaming and their desire that their games should be used for the joy of creating story a few times in the past.

Which makes no sense as their own storylines go nowhere in the interest of continuing a stable competitive play environment.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hog Inspector posted:

was this ruleset made to specifically cater to a much younger audience? thats the only explanation I can think of that makes any sense

And yet it still has this grimdark blood-and-guts writing and people talking about how it's a great game to play while having beers. :shrug:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

President Ark posted:

And yet it still has this grimdark blood-and-guts writing and people talking about how it's a great game to play while having beers. :shrug:

If there's a guy who gives you bonuses for having an alcoholic drink in your hand I'd say they aren't necessarily wrong.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Mors Rattus posted:

Early editions of 40k had a third player to GM the game, since players could do wacky fun things.

7th edition of 40k is basically saying gently caress you to tournaments, and it's great. If they go this batshit crazy with the next edition of 40k it will be the best drat thing to happen to tabletop gaming in years.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

If there's a guy who gives you bonuses for having an alcoholic drink in your hand I'd say they aren't necessarily wrong.

There is! Josef Bugman in the dwarf rules.

quote:

Liquid Fortification: You can add 1 to
the Bravery of Josef Bugman and any
Dispossessed unit from your army
within 4" of him whilst you are holding
a drink.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That doesn't specify an alcoholic drink though, so a glass of water should be fine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

President Ark posted:

Not to nitpick in the madness that is Age of Sigmar, but the rule for the Screaming bell explicitly states that "no modifiers can be applied to this roll"

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

RandallODim posted:

Is this what it's like to see a game in its renaissance? Because this is amazing entertainment.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kannonfodder posted:

Not to nitpick in the madness that is Age of Sigmar, but the rule for the Screaming bell explicitly states that "no modifiers can be applied to this roll"

You're not modifying the roll, you're choosing the result. The only rule text that references modifying rules mentions stuff like +1 or -2.

But of course, here's the beauty of that argument. There's another rule in this game that states that if you get into an argument about the rules like this one, you both have to roll a die and the winner is right for that game.

Fateweaver can also affect this roll because it's a roll made during the game. Just bring two Fateweavers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You're not modifying the roll, you're choosing the result. The only rule text that references modifying rules mentions stuff like +1 or -2.

But of course, here's the beauty of that argument. There's another rule in this game that states that if you get into an argument about the rules like this one, you both have to roll a die and the winner is right for that game.

Fateweaver can also affect this roll because it's a roll made during the game. Just bring two Fateweavers.
But what if the opponent also brought a fateweaver and used it on the argument roll too?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That leads into what is, genuinely, the initial and so far current competitive meta: Bringing N+1 Fateweavers. Literally as many as fit on your side of the board. Hope you picked the deployment zone with less terrain.

Did I mention that Fateweaver is supposed to be a unique character yet? Yeah. No restriction.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That leads into what is, genuinely, the initial and so far current competitive meta: Bringing N+1 Fateweavers. Literally as many as fit on your side of the board. Hope you picked the deployment zone with less terrain.

Did I mention that Fateweaver is supposed to be a unique character yet? Yeah. No restriction.

You can bribe your opponent with real life dollars to take control of his unit for the rest of the game.

If you are playing Age of Sigmar to win, you are playing Age of Sigmar wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

With the rules for Josef Bugman (+1 Bravery if I'm holding a drink), the Thane with Battle Standard (reroll any failed hits if I have a bigger beard than my opponent), and Longbeards (bonus rule for the unit if I complain in a suitably Dwarfish manner about how things used to be better), it looks like showing up to an Age of Sigmar tournament unshaven, drinking from a hip flask, and complaining about how AoS sucks compared to previous editions is no longer a tournament faux pas, but actually a viable tactic.

What a time to be alive.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

kannonfodder posted:

You can bribe your opponent with real life dollars to take control of his unit for the rest of the game.

If you are playing Age of Sigmar to win, you are playing Age of Sigmar wrong.

Truly, the best miniatures wargame is the one played not to win, but to see how much money you can get out of your opponent as he plays to win.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably the dumbest thing about Age of Sigmar is that the lists for all the old armies are deliberately designed to be embarrassing to play in public so that you'll never use them, or so degenerate that no one will play with you. Thus forcing you to buy the new, actually balanced, armies if you want to continue playing the game.

"We will not force you to buy any new models, all your old models will still be compatible with this system. You just shouldn't use them because we force you to scream at your imaginary horse if you want to win with them."

:psyduck:

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So if you're arguing that Fateweaver can affect any roll, and he's arguing against, he has to bring a Fateweaver to tell you that Fateweavers can't affect the roll he's using a Fateweaver on?

:allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Now how much is a Fateweaver model?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Compared to the number of Fun Units it generates?

Underpriced.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

In 3.5 there’s a spell called Death Throes. It’s generally regarded as the worst spell in the entire game, for reasons that should be obvious:

quote:

DEATH THROES
Necromancy [Force]
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level or until you are killed
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
If you are killed, your body is instantaneously destroyed in an explosion that deals 1d8 points of damage per caster level to everyone in a 30-foot-radius burst. This explosion destroys your body, preventing any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. A wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore life.

Yeah. The problem is you can only cast it on yourself, and D&D (wisely) makes it near impossible to transfer a personal spell’s benefit. The only easy way to do so is to have a link with your familiar or animal companion, like a druid, but if one of those dies you take some annoying penalties, and you can’t get a new one for a while. There are, however, a couple ways to get around this, one of which (of course) is a prestige class.

The class “Spellguard” grants this ability:

quote:

At 4th level, the spellguard of Silverymoon may cast any personal-range defensive arcane spell on another character with a touch. For this purpose, a defensive spell is one that improves AC, increases a saving throw modifier, or grants additional hit points (either by healing wounds or by bestowing temporary hit points).

But wait, Death Throes doesn’t qualify for this ability, since it doesn’t heal or buff. Well, there’s another feat you can take in Races of the Wild called “Magic of the land,” which grants the ability to imbue your spells with positive (healing) energy if you pass an easy knowledge skill check. The feat specifically says it doesn’t work on necromancy spells, but that’s okay because we can just be a specialized transmuter and exchange our level 5 wizard bonus feat for the “Spell Versatility” feat, which allows us to change any one spell type to Transmutation. Death throes now qualifies for a touch attack.

You can’t really get everything you need before level 11 or so, but that’s okay because at that point you have three casts of Death Throes per day. Now what you do is prepare three extended level 1 summons. Before you go into battle summon them, cast Death Throes on each of them as a touch spell, and send them ahead to engage the enemy. You probably want to back off at this point.

You’re level 11, so once the enemy kills one of your summons everything within 30 feet is taking 11d8 points of damage with no save. That’s including your other summons, which will then go off in a chain reaction. So that’s 33d8 damage to everything within 30 feet before you even enter the battle. The best part is the damage scaling doesn’t have a cap, meaning this will still be a viable tactic all the way to level 20. To be extra nasty you can use your touch abilities to turn your high level summons into powerhouses that will actually put up a decent fight even before their pyrrhic victory.

Note that animal suicide bombing may not be a good tactic if you have a druid in the party.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Why not just cast the spell on a cage/bag full of mice? instant, furry grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

It's easier to just sit back and tell your summons to go die then it is to throw live mice at an enemy and kill one from over 30 feet away. You'd also only get three explosions per day either way, since the spell has one target per cast. A swarm wouldn't work either since they're immune to single-target spells.