Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you were going to make an actual game out of this, you'd have six stats or something. Each stat has a score from 2 to 6. Each worker on your team represents one of the six stats, and if they are injured or die, that stat goes to 1.

All you have to do is meet your quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Injured" and "Dead" should have different results. Like, because your Injured carpenter has no health insurance and doesn't have the savings to afford medical care, he needs to keep working and can continue rolling at his full value, but if he misses another roll, both he and another worker die. If you treat him as a 1, though, there's no further penalty for failing the roll.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you were going to make an actual game out of this, you'd have six stats or something. Each stat has a score from 2 to 6. Each worker on your team represents one of the six stats, and if they are injured or die, that stat goes to 1.

I'd buy that on Early Access.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Add cannibalism and yahtzee and that's pretty much Tharsis

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Roll a d6, reroll 6s. Monday is 1, Tuesday is 2, and so on.

Monday has every roll with a -1 because of hangovers. Friday has a -1 to some rolls (only mental rolls, physical rolls are fine) because everyone is looking ahead for the weekend.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just having fun with describing OSHAPunk like an exotic roleplaying universe.

Imagine a world of danger and excitement, of heroes and villains, of risks and rewards, of dreams and nightmares. A world where one's fate hangs on a single lanyard string. A world where people live, and die, by the codes of OSHA.

As a player in an OSHAPunk game, your primary objective is to meet your quota. Sometimes you will know your quota, other times you'll only know what it is when you fail.

OSHAPunk games are led by a Foreman[1], who guides teams of workers through an assembly line. The Foreman sets up the machinery and the hazards and determines whether your actions succeed or fail.

For more information on running an OSHAPunk game, see Foreman Advice in chapter 7.

[1] A Foreman may be male or female, for simplicity's sake we'll use the term "Foreman" throughout the book, but in your own OSHAPunk games you're free to use Foreman or Forewoman as appropriate.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I would buy this game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I think games like Cooking Mama, Euro Truck Simulator and the Ace Attorney series proved that you can make an exciting game out of even the most mundane of activities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let's not forget Papers, Please.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Davin Valkri posted:

I think games like Cooking Mama, Euro Truck Simulator and the Ace Attorney series proved that you can make an exciting game out of even the most mundane of activities.

Euro Truck is the best Internet radio player ever invented.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ace Attorney isn't mundane, at least the one I played was all murder trials.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Kwyndig posted:

Ace Attorney isn't mundane, at least the one I played was all murder trials.

Have you seen a real murder trial? They're boring as hell. Tons of procedure, witness testimony and evidence that both lawyers know about already so there's no surprises, things spelled out in excruciating detail so that the jury can understand it. In other words, "objection" is not spelled with an exclamation point IRL, but a really bored period.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kerbtree posted:

Euro Truck is the best Internet radio player ever invented.

Euro Truck Simulator would be an okay sim for relaxation if it didn't have the radio. By including the Internet radio connection (and the great ease with which you can play your own MP3s), it's elevated to something more.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blastron posted:

Have you seen a real murder trial? They're boring as hell. Tons of procedure, witness testimony and evidence that both lawyers know about already so there's no surprises, things spelled out in excruciating detail so that the jury can understand it. In other words, "objection" is not spelled with an exclamation point IRL, but a really bored period.

I refuse to believe that real murder trials do not routinely result in the accuser being revealed as the true murderer.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

blastron posted:

What's interesting is that while the Ace Attorney world is definitely over the top, the Japanese legal system is insanely biased towards the prosecution, and many of the basic rights taken for granted in the American system just doesn't exist.

Of course, considering the high prosecutorial success rate and plea bargain rate of the American system, that's throwing objections at glass houses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

foobardog posted:

What's interesting is that while the Ace Attorney world is definitely over the top, the Japanese legal system is insanely biased towards the prosecution, and many of the basic rights taken for granted in the American system just doesn't exist.

Of course, considering the high prosecutorial success rate and plea bargain rate of the American system, that's throwing objections at glass houses.
Doesn't the Japanese system basically have a time limit too as opposed to US court cases which can drag on for years?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zereth posted:

Doesn't the Japanese system basically have a time limit too as opposed to US court cases which can drag on for years?

There's a 2-year time limit on bringing civil and criminal cases to a conclusion. I'll just copy and paste some Wikipedia info:

quote:

The Constitution provides for an independent judiciary, and the Government generally respected this provision in practice. The Cabinet appoints judges for 10-year terms, which can be renewed until judges reach the age of 65. Justices of the Supreme Court can serve until the age of 70, but face periodic review through popular referendums.

There are several levels of courts, including high courts, district courts, family courts, and summary courts, with the Supreme Court serving as the final court of appeal. Normally a trial begins at the district court level, and a verdict may be appealed to a higher court, and ultimately, to the Supreme Court. The government generally respected in practice the constitutional provisions for the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial tribunal in all criminal cases. Although most criminal trials were completed within a reasonable length of time, cases occasionally took several years to work their way through the trial and appeals process.

In July 2003, the Diet passed legislation aimed at reducing the average time required to complete criminal trials and civil trials that include witness examination. Its provisions include hiring substantial numbers of additional court and MOJ personnel, revising bar examinations, establishing new graduate law schools to increase the overall number of legal professionals threefold by 2010, and requiring that courts and opposing litigants jointly work to improve trial planning by allowing for earlier evidence collection and disclosure. The advisory panel on judicial reform released the official standards for setting up graduate law schools, and in March 2004, 68 universities (22 public and 46 private) opened new law schools.[14]

The July 2003, law also makes the Supreme Court responsible for accelerating proceedings in lower courts, imposes a 2-year time limit for courts to bring criminal and civil trials to conclusion, and requires the government to take the legal and financial measures necessary to accomplish these goals. A defendant is informed of the charges upon arrest and is assured a public trial by an independent civilian court with defense counsel and the right of cross-examination. There was no trial by jury; however, a judicial reform bill passed in May will allow serious criminal cases to be tried by a six-person, randomly selected jury and panel of judges. The law was scheduled to take effect in 2009.

The defendant is presumed innocent. The Constitution provides defendants with the right not to be compelled to testify against themselves as well as to free and private access to counsel; however, the Government contended that the right to consult with attorneys is not absolute and can be restricted if such restriction is compatible with the spirit of the Constitution. Access sometimes was abridged in practice; for example, the law allows prosecutors to control access to counsel before indictment, and there were allegations of coerced confessions. Defendants are protected from the retroactive application of laws and have the right of access to incriminating evidence after a formal indictment. However, the law does not require full disclosure by prosecutors, and material that the prosecution does not use in court may be suppressed. Critics claimed that legal representatives of defendants did not always have access to all needed relevant material in the police record. A defendant who is dissatisfied with the decision of a trial court of first instance may appeal to a higher court.

No guidelines mandate the acceptable quality of communications between judges, lawyers, and non-Japanese speaking defendants, and no standard licensing or qualification system for certifying court interpreters exists. A trial may proceed even if the accused does not understand what is happening or being said. Foreign detainees frequently claimed that police urged them to sign statements in Japanese that they could not read and were not translated adequately.

Up to June 2015, Japan does not signify nor ratify First Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

There were no reports of political prisoners.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

In Heavy Gear: Blitz! units could have the Sensor Dependent flaw, which made it significantly harder to fire at models that were hunkered down or in terrain. Models could 'Pop the Hatch' to remove this, but then gained Weak Facing - Front for that turn.

Colonial Hovertanks were Sensor Dependent but also had a third rule, Improved Rear Defense meaning ignored the penalties from being attacked in the rear. Being tanks, all of their weaponry was turreted.

I can't count the number of times I saw these things charging proudly rear end-first into the enemy.

Edit:

One of the random mission objectives was 'Escape', whereupon a random model or unit in your army had to move off your opponent's board edge. A Mammoth Heavy Strider moves 5" a turn, flat out. Games last for six turns, and are played on a board 48" across.

Bonus points, Field Guns were incapable of movement and still valid choices for this objective.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 19, 2016

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

raverrn posted:

In Heavy Gear: Blitz! units could have the Sensor Dependent flaw, which made it significantly harder to fire at models that were hunkered down or in terrain. Models could 'Pop the Hatch' to remove this, but then gained Weak Facing - Front for that turn.

Colonial Hovertanks were Sensor Dependent but also had a third rule, Improved Rear Defense meaning ignored the penalties from being attacked in the rear. Being tanks, all of their weaponry was turreted.

I can't count the number of times I saw these things charging proudly rear end-first into the enemy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_%28tank_destroyer%29 working as intended.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

In Pathfinder, there's an optional character creation mechanic called Traits. They serve as sort of mini-feats. You can usually have 2 of them, and it's up to the GM's discretion what traits are legal to use, since some of them come from specific campaign books or may not make sense for the setting. Traits themselves are not particularly well-balanced, since there are some that offer permanent +1 bonuses to saves, or allow you to reduce the spell level increase of metamagic, whereas other allow you to move an additional 5 feet, only if you're wearing light or no armor, and only if you don't do anything else except move, and only if you're a gnome, and no it doesn't apply to both move actions, you only get 5 extra feet in total.

There are also Drawbacks. Drawbacks are negative traits that allow you to take one additional trait in exchange for some hampering effect, such as -2 to all dexterity-based skill checks or getting really tired after combat.

Some even have pretty thoroughly divorced flavor and mechanics, such as Sleepy: "You must sleep or rest for at least 12 hours each night to get the benefits of a full night's rest. Effect: You take a –2 penalty on saving throws against sleep effects."

Since traits and drawbacks don't really have any prerequisites, it's easy to circumvent a lot of the downsides of drawbacks for extra traits, like being an Elf, with their natural immunity to sleep effects, and taking the Sleepy trait. It's also possible to break things in the other direction - combining a couple innocuous things to awful effect. My favorite example of this is the Spooked trait.

Spooked: "You had a traumatic experience with a spirit at a young age that colors your reactions to such creatures even to this day. Effect: Whenever you perceive a fey, outsider, or undead from within 60 feet, you become shaken for 1d4 rounds unless you succeed at a Will save with a DC equal to 15 + the creature's Charisma modifier. Immunity to fear effects does not allow you to forgo this saving throw; even if you are immune to fear, you must roll the Will saving throw for this drawback when applicable, albeit with a +4 bonus."

Since there's no prerequisites for this drawback, it's possible for a Tiefling PC to take Spooked. Tieflings count as Outsider (Native). The Spooked trait does not say that you must perceive another fey, outsider, or undead - just one within 60 feet. Someone is always within 60 feet of themselves, and barring mind-altering effects, they are always perceiving themselves. So Tieflings with the Spooked trait are perpetually freaked out by their own existence, apparently because a ghost scared them as a kid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From the D&D 3rd Edition Player's Handbook:

quote:

Natural Healing: With a full night’s rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. For example, a 5th-level fighter recovers 5 hit points with a night of rest. Any significant interruption (such as combat or the like) during your rest prevents you from healing that night.

If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points. A 5th-level fighter recovers 10 hit points per 24 hours of bed rest.

Is this a Murphy?

24 hours divided by 8 hours is 3 eight-hour-periods, so a level 5 Fighter will heal (5 * 3) or 15 HP over the course of 24 hours if they avail of the 8-hour-rest rule, but that same Fighter will only heal 10 HP over the course of 24 hours if they available of the complete-bed-rest-for-an-entire-day-and-night rule.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
An average person simply can't sleep for 24 hours straight. Hence why the other 16 hours of "bed rest" entail less healing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nah, it's because it specifies "full night's rest" and it's impossible to have a full 8 hours' bed rest at night more than once per day.

Presumably magicalsomethingorother from the sun interferes with daytime healing, which is obviously why vikings go home for the winter.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

From the D&D 3rd Edition Player's Handbook:

Is this a Murphy?

24 hours divided by 8 hours is 3 eight-hour-periods, so a level 5 Fighter will heal (5 * 3) or 15 HP over the course of 24 hours if they avail of the 8-hour-rest rule, but that same Fighter will only heal 10 HP over the course of 24 hours if they available of the complete-bed-rest-for-an-entire-day-and-night rule.

In addition to the above, it says "8 hours or more " so if you rested for 24 hours sleeping the entire time it'd just be one really long rest, not three rests.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rest 8 hours, fight 30 seconds, repeat, right?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
A similar issue was discussed earlier in the thread with the idea of taking multiple kinds of rest concurrently, which I think came up while playtesting one of the later D&D versions? Something like taking short rests during your long rest, or even mechanically taking multiple long rests at once somehow.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Heffer posted:

Add cannibalism and yahtzee and that's pretty much Tharsis

Not to stray too far, but did that game ever get better? I don't mind the :10bux: I paid for it, but God it was a slog.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Aschlafly posted:

An average person simply can't sleep for 24 hours straight. Hence why the other 16 hours of "bed rest" entail less healing.

That is no challenge at all for us depressives.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A similar issue was discussed earlier in the thread with the idea of taking multiple kinds of rest concurrently, which I think came up while playtesting one of the later D&D versions? Something like taking short rests during your long rest, or even mechanically taking multiple long rests at once somehow.

the wording in earlier versions of the 5E playtest packet made it sound like you could "start" an 8 hour, long rest every second, so that you would have basically infinite long rests overlapping, but also after 8 hours you would have an infinite number of long rests resolving, so that you would have free healing. it doesn't actually work like that, but there's enough weird rules interactions in 5E that it is ripe for mining in this thread

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This might have already been mentioned, but the thread is massive and I don't recall seeing it.

Last night my playgroup made characters for the new edition of Burning Wheel. This is a fantastic RPG and I highly recommend it. I honestly think it does Tolkien-style high fantasy better than Dungeons and Dragons.

However, we did discover a few oddities.

In Burning Wheel, characters are automatically illiterate. This makes sense in a setting that emulates feudal times, where being able to read and write was a big deal. If a player wants their character to be able to read, then they have to take the "Read" skill. It's a cheap skill to buy (if your lifepath allows it), but it gives the valuable ability to understand a letter that is passed to you.

So this makes sense. It's a high fantasy setting with feudalism and lords and low-education and you have to specifically buy a skill in order to read words. All things considered, that seems reasonable.

Except "Writing" is a separate skill from reading. In order to write, you must take the "Writing" skill. Separately.

I roll a diplomatic courtier-type character. I take several advances in the Writing skill. It's valuable in this society. I take several advances in the Composition skill. Now I am versed in communicating my ideas. My writing is soon legendary. I can write faster and more accurately than anyone else in the court. I develop typefaces that aid in reading. I can keep legible and accurate records of everything anyone says to the king in his court. My letters and notes are routinely passed around and referenced. I can render the world in vivid detail with my prose. I publish twelve books that take the courts by storm. People copy my style. I influence the voice of generations to come. I am openly acknowledged as the greatest scribe in the kingdom's history.

But I don't have the Read skill, so I can't read anything that I write.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 10, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In a super groggy history-sim game, "writes but can't read" might be the guy who copies books.

But yeah that's kinda dumb.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

spectralent posted:

In a super groggy history-sim game, "writes but can't read" might be the guy who copies books.

"Without the benefit of the ability of the ability to read, Write is a copyist's skill. The character knows the shapes of letters and how to reproduce them, but he does not know what they mean."

Straight from the book.

Remember, this is a game where you need to pay a resource point at character creation to own shoes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thark posted:

"Without the benefit of the ability of the ability to read, Write is a copyist's skill. The character knows the shapes of letters and how to reproduce them, but he does not know what they mean."

Spookyelectric posted:

I am openly acknowledged as the greatest scribe in the kingdom's history.
You directly inspire the invention of the printing press, maybe.

If there's a Murphy, it's that you can become that proficient without picking up even the vaguest idea of the meaning of the shapes you've copied thousands of times.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 10, 2016

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

thark posted:

Straight from the book.

Remember, this is a game where you need to pay a resource point at character creation to own shoes.

Being able to copy letters but not read makes sense in the context of having to pay to have shoes, I guess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spookyelectric posted:

This might have already been mentioned, but the thread is massive and I don't recall seeing it.

Last night my playgroup made characters for the new edition of Burning Wheel. This is a fantastic RPG and I highly recommend it. I honestly think it does Tolkien-style high fantasy better than Dungeons and Dragons.

However, we did discover a few oddities.

In Burning Wheel, characters are automatically illiterate. This makes sense in a setting that emulates feudal times, where being able to read and write was a big deal. If a player wants their character to be able to read, then they have to take the "Read" skill. It's a cheap skill to buy (if your lifepath allows it), but it gives the valuable ability to understand a letter that is passed to you.

So this makes sense. It's a high fantasy setting with feudalism and lords and low-education and you have to specifically buy a skill in order to read words. All things considered, that seems reasonable.

Except "Writing" is a separate skill from reading. In order to write, you must take the "Writing" skill. Separately.

I roll a diplomatic courtier-type character. I take several advances in the Writing skill. It's valuable in this society. I take several advances in the Composition skill. Now I am versed in communicating my ideas. My writing is soon legendary. I can write faster and more accurately than anyone else in the court. I develop typefaces that aid in reading. I can keep legible and accurate records of everything anyone says to the king in his court. My letters and notes are routinely passed around and referenced. I can render the world in vivid detail with my prose. I publish twelve books that take the courts by storm. People copy my style. I influence the voice of generations to come. I am openly acknowledged as the greatest scribe in the kingdom's history.

But I don't have the Read skill, so I can't read anything that I write.
Seems perfectly verisimilitudinous to me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
you're basically a living, breathing chinese room

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Milky Moor posted:

you're basically a living, breathing chinese room

This was my character concept so mission accomplished! :D

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, in Exalted 3e, there's a type of armor called a Buff Jacket. A buff jacket is what it says - a jacket that's made out of mammoth hide or whatever. Pictures of it don't look fancy. These are based off of real leather jackets worn in the 17th century that were tanned for durability. Now, in the game, they have a mobility penalty of -0, and since they can help you take hits, they're treated as armor. Now, all armor takes time to put on: the formula is that it's the armor penalty in (positive) minutes, plus one minute.

So the buff jacket is a jacket that takes a minute to put on.

But then things get weirder! See, there's a Reinforced Buff Jacket, which is like a regular buff jacket, only it's got some metal reinforcements, maybe some chain or a plate or three, to help it take hits. That makes it tougher, which is balanced by a mobility penalty of -1.

So the reinforced buff jacket is a jacket that takes two minutes to put on.

That's not where things end! See, armor has tags that qualify any special effects it has. The buff jacket has no tags, but the reinforced buff jacket has the tag "silent". This means it causes no penalties to stealth. The regular buff jacket doesn't, presumably because some author said "hey, it has no mobility penalty, so it doesn't need the tag". Well, let's say you're sick of taking a full minute to put on a jacket, so you put it on in a hurry. When you do that, the buff jacket can add a mobility penalty of -1 or -2. Maybe you put it on backwards. Same goes for the reinforced buff jacket, which has the same penalty. Which means...

A buff jacket put on in a hurry makes noise, but a reinforced buff jacket put on in a hurry doesn't.

Weirdly, a silken shirt or robe made from magical steel silk also takes a flat minute to put on. But it does have the silent tag, unlike the buff jacket, which has a mobility penalty of -0. Which leads me to the important question:

Have the designers worn clothes?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

probably not 400 year old ones, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The part about the noise is dumb, and so is the part about move penalties.

I can't think of anything less interesting or exciting than "how long it takes you to put your armor on", but I think that part's more deadly boring than weird or stupid. A real gambesson or padded jacket could easily take a minute to get into once you worm your way into it (they're tight), get it to sit right, tighten the laces and/or buckles, and get your belt in the right spot and buckled, and I'm assuming an armoured buff coat isn't much different. In any case, it's not a hoody or even a motorbike jacket, you're going to have to do up laces, buckle stuff together, etc. A minute's not impossible.

A shirt or robe taking a minute to put on is dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 27, 2016