Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in the first printing of FantasyCraft a night with a really good prostitute would make you incapable of bleeding to death.

There was a list of good and services that had a section for people available for hire. Smiths, guides, etc. Also included were the prices for pleasurable company, each giving minor benefits like healing stress damage or making the character exceptionally rested (which seems like the exact opposite of what they would be?) and the most expensive option -- something like a royal courtesan -- cost a huge pile of gold per night, and instead of healing it eliminated all your stress and gave you a straight damage reduction against stress damage for a long while. Like, days.

Too much stress damage took the fight out of you and made you collapse; in SpyCraft, flashbangs did a lot of it iirc. In FantasyCraft, certain mental-focused spells or social actions/attacks did it. The Murphy steps in because for some weapons in the game, rather than doing lethal damage they did stress damage or a mix of the two. The designers apparently did this because they thought excessive bleeding was best expressed as stress since you'd just collapse from too much of it.

So if your character had some really good sex recently, they were completely invulnerable to whips, cat o' nines, razor blades, shivs, garrotes, etc.

The second printing included a new bleeding condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
In Spycraft 2.0 you can get upgrades for 007-like devices and vehicles alike. One of the most usual upgades is miniaturization, where you just shrink the item without changing its stats, or make it subtle. An example would be the belt buckle in Goldeneye that acts as a piton-tipped grappling hook. It's a perfectly normal grappling hook, just smaller and less obvious.

The combination of a few particular classes -- particularly the base class Wheelman who gets free upgrades for their vehicle, and the expert (prestige) class Inventor who focuses almost exclusively on tinkering with devices -- allowed a player in one of my games to create a device with so many applications of miniaturization that, rules as written, it allowed him to conceal a full-size racing motorcycle in his shoe.

He soon after picked up the Street Knight expert class, which is basically a cavalier, and never ran into the typical dilemma of how to get his horse into the dungeon. In a manner of speaking.

He deployed the motorcycle by clicking his heels together three times, by the way.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Sounds like the perfect spell for an Ur-Priest to steal. Shopping spree!

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I've been trying out this Dungeon World-ish game called Blades in the Dark that's basically a mish-mash of Thief, Dishonored, and Leverage (the TV show).

The inventory is just a big area of items and equipment with checkboxes next to them. It's assumed you own every single item on the sheet, you just check off the ones you have on you at the time. Having 3 boxes or less checked means you look like an innocent citizen, 4 or 5 you look ready for trouble, 6 (max) you look "like an operative on a mission." Heavy objects have two checkboxes to mark off, items in italics (loaded dice, jewelry) don't count toward your limit. It's pretty nice. Fast and loose without being totally ignored.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

The ULTIMATE BAD rear end's character sheet.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
This is why in Revised edition most of the answers to the question "what happens when a vampire tries to Embrace a _____?" were

A) "the _____ dies horribly and painfully."
B) "the vampire dies horribly and painfully."
C) "they both die horribly and painfully."

The efforts to make vampire crossover characters as resounding a "NO" as possible were impressive. A Hunter's blood was liquid fire to a vampire, drinking from a Ratkin was like guzzling poison and acid simultaneously, and if you tried to embrace a Mokole (a sun-aligned weredragon/weredinosaur) it would pretty much explode.

vvv ah, got my exploding Fera mixed up

ellbent fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 23, 2015

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I feel like if you were going to put a gold value on setting up animate dead for however-many-thousand skeletons through however-many-hundred necromancers who will be voluntarily never making another skeleton again because they're at their limit, a place to store them (whether in a massive underground cavern or another plane), and a way to contact their controller(s) reliably and at long distances -- again, possibly in another plane -- every time you need an answer I feel like you could just pay for room, board, and a generous salary to a dozen living mathematicians and let 'em live on contract in that one item that's a portable pocket dimension mansion you can carry around, and still save a fortune. Labor and living expenses are the cheapest item in D&D.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
You guys are just opposed to the industry competition offered by Mordenkainen's Research Park.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I always liked classic Deadlands. It distinguished wounds on your person from Wind, which was pretty much a combination of your stamina and gumption. Most of the time getting shot once or twice was enough to reduce the average person to 0 and leave them lying on the ground re-thinking their life choices, but not dead.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Yeah, the Lady of Pain is a setting staple, not really an entity you're supposed to concern yourself with. Her face is the logo for Planescape. She doesn't speak, communicating only though a specialized race of similarly mute, weird psychics that project rebuses instead of talking. One time a god tried to take over Sigil and she killed it by thinking at him, simultaneously destroying all his temples everywhere and banishing all his priests to inescapable labyrinth pocket dimensions. Also, if you try to deify her or worship her at all, she dices you into very small pieces or flays you alive.

The Lady is there because occasionally some Planescape player needs an answer to "hey, hasn't anybody/a god/a wizard/a party tried to conquer/subvert/rule/destroy the city at the center of literally everything yet?" The answer is that yes, they tried. Once. Now shut up, stop worrying about it, and play the faction-based political fantasy game where you can be pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Not entirely Murphy, just a gem from Blades in the Dark.

Step 6 of character creation involves picking a close contact from among the five 'friends' listed on your playbook. Specifically:

Okay, great. Let's just look over the friends available for the manipulative Slide.

Weird name. I wonder what kind of friends the occult playbook, the Whisper, has?

... Oh.