Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

How does this happen? I never played D&D before 4E, and I know 4E is far from perfect. But how can that be allowed to happen? Some people claim balance doesn't matter, and that's a different issue altogether, but there are still people out there who claim 3E is balanced. It genuinely befuddles me that anyone can look at something like the example above and go "yep, looks reasonable. The sorcerer is a Wizard but with change Y. A Wizard is a sorcerer but with change X, oh and fairly easily Y as well.

Are there any other examples of this sort of thing between classes? Do druids outshine rangers in a similar manner? Can clerics do paladin+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I know it has been touched upon in this thread, but can anyone explain the idea about Druids having to kill off another druid at a certain level in 2E? I might be misremembering the details, but once you got to a certain point, or if you wanted to use a certain spell or something, weren't druids forced to undertake a druid fight club and kill one of their superiors off in order to make room for them in Fantasy Elf Forest Circle, or something? Does anyone know what the origins of this were in fiction, or if it was a purely D&D thing?