Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In Continuum, when you first start learning athletics, you become literally incapable of running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In Legend of the Burning Sands, there is an Advantage, Blessing of the Elements.

Nowhere in the book does it ever tell you what an Affinity for an element is, or how you might get one.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bonus Turtle Factoid:
  • The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, working together and using only their ninja weapons and martial arts, can destroy a cargo freighter in under a half-hour. Not "shut down" or "cripple". They can destroy it, only leaving a pile of scrap that vaguely may have been a ship.

So they read the comic, is what you are saying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, when magic gets involved you can rewrite personalities or change the laws of nations by talking to a farmer for a few hours.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You will have to ask RBH for full details but I also understand that the treatment of the Aesir was essentially really insulting to actual Norse-derived cultures. Especially Jotunblut.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Or just straight up Castle Drakenhof. A Castle is an object, right?

According to Exalted, an object is any contiguous thing that is no larger than a yeddim. Anything bigger than that is a structure made of two or more objects.

How big is a yeddim?

Well, that's a good question, no one seems able to agree. They are somewhere between an elephant and a hippo in size. They are larger than an elephant but easier to lift than a hippo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Joeslop posted:

In the latest edition of the Skaven book (Ratmen, basically) for Warhammer, units of Slaves were changed from previous editions and other units. Instead of running away in terror when they lost combat like most units, units of slaves "exploded" in a flurry of attacks and were then removed from the battlefield. When that happened, every unit (friend or foe) within d6" was hit. They took D3 Strength 3 hits, which isn't all that impressive, beyond the fact that slave units are super cheap.

BUT! "Another hit is added to the total rolled for each additional rank of slaves after the first one."

Normally, a rank is only counted when it has at least 5 models in it (IE, 5 models wide). By a strict (and I mean dickheaded) interpretation of the rules, you could "conga line" your slaves in 1 wide ranks, 20-30 deep. You had to deploy it sideways or else it wouldn't fit, then spend a movement turn reforming to be facing the enemy (which also broke the movement rules but hey if you're going to be a dick, what's a little rules breaking?)

Then when your unit broke, it did D3 Strength 3 hits, +20-30, for a miniscule amount of points. I don't know if anyone every actually tried this but it was debated endlessly.

They have since clarified that yes, they did indeed mean "full rank of 5" and not just "rank" but at this point the Skaven FAQ is 8 pages long and a monstrosity.

Of course, slaves are still cheap enough that you can probably manage to have like forty or so in a single unit. I have not read the latest Skaven rules, but I know in the old editions they had their own unique rule.

You see, normally, you can't fire through your own units. The rules say your men won't do it. Except Skaven don't give a poo poo about their fellow Skaven. So they had the special rule that they could fire through their own dudes, it would just also hurt their guys with friendly fire.

That was okay, because you could then hold an enemy unit in place with a mob of chaff like slaves and take the powerful (but unreliable) Skaven artillery and just keep blasting through them. If you take out three knights for five dead slaves, you're still winning on points.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does this actually have tangible/real-play benefits? Can you give him trample and actually use this as a game-winning combo?

If you manage to pull this off, you have already passed up at least twenty different chances to win already.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, from the looks of it, the Coupon breaks R&D's Secret Lair in new and interesting ways.

After all, the errata is written on the card.

You must play the card exactly as written, but also ignore all errata.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have to say - I really enjoy Traveller character generation.

Not actually playing Traveller, which my experience means a game of Space Trucker interrupted by an unluckily bad GM, but the chargen was fun as hell.

E: I think my favorite part is that the most powerful characters end up kind of resembling Horace Bury or other really cool sci fi old men.

E2: And now I want a thread wherein we all just generate Traveller characters and try to figure out how their narratives worked.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In Werewolf: The Apocalypse, the Bone Gnawers often had really, really lovely Gifts - often things that could be done without magic approximately as easily.

And then they had Cooking.

Cooking, you see, worked thusly: You took a container, put stuff in it, and stirred it with a stick. Anything in the container was transmuted into nourishing but bland gruel.

That's it. That's the whole power.

Now, they never said how big a container could be, and it worked on literally anything you could fit inside it.

We never got to use it in practice, but a few friends and I theorized that it would be the best possible way to get rid of dead bodies, weapons or other things you didn't want hanging around - you just needed a spare grain silo and a really big stick.

There was some debate over whether or not it counted as eating human flesh if you ate the gruel after, though.

Edit: And a recent addition, thanks to a brainstorm:

Even better than evidence removal. Werewolves are ecoterrorists, after all. Do you think a nuclear reactor's reactor pool counts as 'a container'?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 23, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

The Red Talons can do you one better in the Rite of Gaia's Rebirth.

It requires an absurd amount of set up and a very specifically designed character to pull it off, but the end result is that a character that was tailored to perform the rite (which you can, theoretically, do at 1st level) can revert 10 square acres of land to "the state it would be in had humans never developed it at all"

So like, a Power plant

or Downtown New York

Or the Hoover Dam.

The difference is that a Bone Gnawer can turn a nuclear reactor into oatmeal at rank 1. This is a Rank 1 gift, no special tricks needed. The Gift works on "anything you can find" and put in the container. It requires a Wits+Survival roll, with diff 6 for "inedible but harmless materials" and 10 for "actively toxic substances." However, there is no cost to using the power. So as long as your buddies can defend you, your straight-out-of-chargen Bone Gnawer will be able to turn a nuclear reactor into oatmeal within, oh, ten minutes or so, tops?

Anyway, the only limit on the container is you have to be able to actually stir it. So waving a stick in a door doesn't count but finding a way to stir an apartment building for real? Yeah, that seems like it works, letter of the rules, if your GM buys that it's a container. Not spirit of them, but...

Oh, and you need to add water.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 23, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Down With People posted:

Sadly, W20 made it clear that it would have to be 'a small pot'. No skyscraper gruel for you!

I actually know why this is the case. It's because I've discussed this before with Holden.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doodmons posted:

I've been itching to have Twilight vampires show up in a World of Darkness: Hunter game for ages. They're terrifying - they're effectively invulnerable to everything shy of bunker busters, they move faster than people can see, can powder solid granite in their hands, have no weaknesses whatsoever and have a reasonable chance of possessing some kind of insane power like telepathy or futuresight.

The fact that they look like fabulous sparkly mincing idiots makes this even better. Especially considering 95% of all vampires in Twilight are like Humanity 1 on the WoD scale.

So you haven't seen the Players bloodline yet, then?

(The Players are vampires who style themselves after modern pop culture/Twilight vampires. They have no special immunities, and their unique bloodline power is the ability to make others think they have more skills and abilities than they actually do. Other vampires are convinced that they must have some kind of powerful secret, because no one could be this stupid. The secret? Yeah, they really are that stupid and just happily pretend to have powerful secrets because everyone else is willing to believe it and it sounds cool.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe part of it is just that katanas aren't good at parries so samurai don't do them much, and then John Wick.

(It is still a thing - you catch the blade with the back and let it slide down - but you try and avoid blade-on-blade contact in general and sidestep instead.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In Ars Magica, healing is hard. Healing any but the lightest wounds takes either a lot of time or resources.

Unless you're a craftsman. Craftsmen are able to, with a major virtue (which is, to be fair, a big investment) begin play with a power that is amazing at healing. By spending resource that regenerates naturally, if a bit slowly, they can make a relatively simple roll to downgrade any wound one step by touched it with their tools.

The best healer in all of Mythic Europe is neither a wizard nor a priest nor a doctor. The best healer in Mythic Europe is a blacksmith from a rare bloodline who will tap your sword wound with his hammer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Parkreiner posted:

The Sexual Alchemy material didn't make the cut for the current edition of WotG, Legends of the Wulin, but the systems are still basically compatible.

Actually, it did.

Secrets of Destiny: Daoist Sexuality, page 161.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...I think, strictly linguistically, that defines bears as humanoid, demi-human or human.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RandallODim posted:

The idea of a ranger who can become so emotionally distraught over being rejected by a bunch of fish that he takes a penalty for it is really funny to me.

And it happens 20% of the time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Capfalcon posted:

A level 1 Jedi who takes the Skilled Adviser talent can give anyone a +5 to any skill they're trying to use, regardless if the Jedi knows anything at all about the skill. On the other hand, level 20 master of hacking can only give computer advice worth a +2.

A wise Jedi once said: Those who cannot do, teach.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...so you smear cocaine on your sword and then stab people?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Positive energy causes damage to them.

The fast healing of the Positive Energy Plane is not actually typed as positive energy, because Fast Healing can't be typed, as opposed to rolled healing.

Oops.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Heavy Zed posted:

It would be more accurate to say that one can produce an infinite number of live spiders from a spell component pouch. Remember that the machine that makes live spiders is a live spider.

Man, those spiders must have a really short gestation and growth time. They're always ready whenever I need them!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Here's one from Exalted: the largest possible inanimate object is the size of a yeddim. Any object that is bigger than that is, mechanically, actually two or more objects stuck together for purposes of abilities or actions that break objects.

So, what's a yeddim? A yeddim is like a gigantic yak. They are bigger than elephants and are used as beasts of burden.

How big is a yeddim? Well, it's bigger than an elephant and probably smaller than a house.

But according to the Athletics Feats of Strength chart, a yeddim weighs less than a hippopotamus, which is the heaviest thing on the chart. (A yeddim can be lifted more easily; it is also on the chart.)

So it's bigger than an elephant and weighs less than a hippopotamus. But how big is it? Illustrations are inconsistent at best. (Hell, they're not always consistent on how many legs the thing has. I'm pretty sure at least one illustration of a yeddim had six legs, while another had them be comparatively sized so that a single person could sit astride them without too much issue.)

Good luck figuring out how to handle things in a system where size is measured in yeddim units!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

deadly_pudding posted:

This would be surprisingly easy, too. Mould your glue, let it dry. Then throw everything into the smelter and let it melt back down. All that is left is molten iron and armor-shaped glue.

Why not just pour the glue over some existing armor? I mean, you'll need to do the chain still for the flexible bits but a breastplate coated in glue is just as indestructible as a mold of solid glue, and it takes less glue.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jedit posted:

This ceases to be a good idea the first time you need to go to the lavatory and realise you just glued your buttocks together with unbreakable solvent.

Robots don't poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm pretty sure the only rules on gas behavior in 3.5 apply solely to poison gases. Air is otherwise completely featureless and unable to be interacted with.

I'm sure there's weird rules interactions that come with that, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

rantmo posted:

Two weapon fighting is complicated but it is a real thing, just not the way RPGs do it. Dual-wielding broadswords? Kind of nonsense. Rapier and dagger? A great way to duel and murder people. The key thing is that your off weapon is one more thing that your opponent has to deal with, both attacking and defending. D&D 4e's early Feat-based version of TWF was the closest to the "real" thing that I've ever seen in an RPG.

...he says, while having a 7th Sea avatar.

Say this for 7th Sea, it tried to do right by real fencing. It just wasn't good at it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Most of the styles are sword-and-small-weapon-for-parrying. Outside Spain, anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The trick is figuring out that swordsman schools and fancy tricks are all traps and you should just buy up the basic attack and defense skills along with stats.

Which is really, really disappointing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Aramoro posted:

If you're trying to powergame 7th Sea then you're really doing it wrong though. Being a Villanova swordsman is much more than just how you fight in 7th Sea, it's part of who you are. You just can't be the same person without that school.

The main issue that a lot of the really cool stuff is actively detrimental to take - I want it to be awesome, because you should get to be awesome for investing anywhere from a third to two thirds of your starting points into doing something! So the problem is not powergaming so much as that the really cool poo poo is often really terrible mechanically.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That actually might be accurate. Roman chariot races were apparently pretty light on, uh, rules.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Infinitely poorly, as the peasant railgun is useful only for transportation, not as a weapon - while it will move an object at infinite speed, the object has zero momentum.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, if you can lift both...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was a feat in Complete Arcane called Precocious Apprentice that let you take a 2nd-level spells as a 1st level wizard, kicking down the doors of many PrCs earlier, like using Wiz 1 / Clr 3 to get Mystic Theurge as well. The same goes for many arcane cross-casting classes 3.5, most have similar requirements.

Of course, even so you're still lagging three levels behind. The key to the worst builds, though, is to take two PrCs first: the Ur-Priest and Nar Demonbinder. The key to these classes is that when combined, you add your Nar caster level to your Ur-Priest caster level, and the Ur-Priest adds half its levels to your Nar casting level. And the Mystic Theurge adds +1 to both those classes. The key trouble is both have heavy skill prereqs, so a common thing to do was enter by being a bard or duskblade at level 7, and thus be pretty useless for about 10 levels as you cope with poo poo prereqs. After those 10 levels and those PrCs... well, you'll quickly surpass any single-class caster and rule your game. There were all sorts of ways to beat down caster level and break 3.5, though, and that was just one of them.

Couldn't you combine that feat and this trick toget Theurge at Wiz 1/Cleric 1?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure you understand the Bioware romance.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

kafziel posted:

If that were the case, the Hutt would not be rolling Brawn and Athletics.

No, this seems right. I mean, skateboards take some athletic skill.

What I'm saying is all Hutts are kickin' rad skateboarders.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't trip flying people. Who are blasting the entire pack at once with AoE effects.

...ok, if there's a fighter in the party he might be in trouble. But that's always true.

Is that actually true, does tripping fail against flight? Because while logically it might, that has nothing to do with rules.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wizard gynecology!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RBH, please explain the clandestine, secret meetings by GW staff with prominent players to illicitly develop and distribute army construction rules.