Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He can't actually do any magic, he just knows a lot of adventurers and acts as a kind of quest matchmaker, where he finds people who need help, finds them someone to help them, then tells them they owe him a favor so he can call on them to help someone else later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zomborgon posted:

So Xanth's Magician Humfrey, then.

yes, except not awful

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At night, all armies are the same size.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Are you really trying to do a holy grail bit in 2018, really

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Neither feat is good enough to break anything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Firstborn posted:

The hell is Creation-Slaying Oblivion Kick? Google just has hushed mentions without explanation.

A theoretical combination of Charms in Exalted 2e that allowed you to deal arbitrary amounts of damage to anyone you could see simultaneously, extended your sight out to any point not blocked by physical objects, and was then performed from on top of the tallest mountain in the world at the center of Creation, therefore allowing you to see (and kill) 99% of the world.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

berenzen posted:

Wouldn't you still run into curvature issues? or is Exalted's world a flat map?

Creation is flat and exists in a sea of roiling chaos.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glagha posted:

Climbing the tallest mountain in creation and kicking someone to death from miles away is 100% on theme for Exalted.

Kicking everyone to death, simultaneously, unless they had a perfect defense. And everything, because objects are viable targets. The CSOK solution to buildings was 'my kck targets those, too' and they collapse. As does the ground.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The 2e errata solution was, iirc, to declare that Creation has a draw distance.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can get the same effect without gaslighting by just lying about what your alibi actually is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Neither - it makes you think the person using it is lying.

Sidereal Bob walks into the middle of the market square and activates it as he shouts: "Solar Steve satisfies every lover he has!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terrible Opinions posted:

I really like the idea of the Scorpion Clan, but hate how they're written.

Good news, 5e has refocused the writing on them a lot. Bayushi Shoju, in the new timeline, has actually threatened to personally murder any Scorpion whose ambitions endanger the status quo and has actively worked to prevent his own clan from becoming more powerful than it already is.

Then he got named imperial regent for the next emperor, Daisetsu.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cactrot posted:

Am I misunderstanding this, or does the PH10 Motorcycle not have a high enough physique to carry it's rider?

That's why the rider rides it rather than sitting in the passenger seat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Brofessor Slayton posted:

It's entirely within the purview of this thread for you to give an impassioned and heartfelt speech to your DM about recognising the personhood of golems, then immediately disintegrate one.

Personhood and living status aren't related. A ghost is a person, but isn't alive.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

None of that actually precludes personhood! Or being alive, yes. They're immune to a bunch of stuff that theoretically is the result of not being alive, but it is not explicitly stated that they aren't alive.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, this means that a golem cannot gently caress.

Even if you make a gently caress golem, it can't gently caress, because it has no Con score, and therefore it automatically fails all Con-based skills without effect.

E: the undead also cannot gently caress

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 11, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Arivia posted:

Huh? That’s not true. A construct would just have no bonus because its Constitution is assumed to be 10 for any applicable ability checks, including untrained skill checks. Undead would use their Charisma instead, so Lichloved strikes again.

I’m presuming Perform (sex) isn’t trained only, the same as other Perform skills.

...huh, could've sworn constructs couldn't voluntarily make Con-based checks

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My favorite stupid internet centaur thing is the equitaur, invented by furries. It’s a horse furry that is also a centaur.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zark the Damned posted:

TBF that isn't far removed from Wemmics, the lion centaur folks from old rear end D&D.

It isn't, and those guys are also hilarious.

WHAT IF AN ANIMAL BUT ITS NECK IS A HUMAN TORSO

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Flavivirus posted:

Ooh, what book has the extra spell mastery options?

That particular one is from Houses of Hermes: True Lineages and is a Mercere-associated trick.

There are a few caveats, tho. First, this spell is not actually as easy to cast as it sounds - it can't get rid of metal or veins of metal, and it can't harm wood, or indeed any material not made of earth or water. You will need separate requisites for those. Second, it'd also fail to cast, because God can in fact will any magic to not work, and presumably God wants the Earth to exist.

e: Also I believe this is a misunderstanding of Range - the magnitude chart ends at Boundary. Adding additional groups is not actually increasing Range - it is a side factor. This only works if you interpret "magnitude" to mean mathematical magnitude, rather than spell magnitude as Ars uses it.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 22, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

What's getting boosted is Target, not range. It's not explicitly spelled out anywhere, but it's commonly houseruled that increasing the size of the target Individual/Group/Room/Whatever is a standard part of hermetic magic and part of the Target modifiers.

Target, right. Words are hard. Common house rule, but not one I subscribe to mostly because I prefer keeping some of the few limits magi have to deal with when it comes to spell design.

And yes, there's actual historic precedent in Ars for just hollowing out mountains to mine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

Ars Magica explicitly operates on medieval conceptions of reality, so I assume the relevant spell quietly destroys all the "generic" rock and leaves all the rich ores and gems intact, making it a matter of carving them down from the roof.

Pretty much this, metals are distinct from stone because Aristotle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Omnicrom posted:

My time in Super Robot Wars has taught me that the best traps involve armies of giant robots fighting each other and also horrifying abuses of the time-space continuum.

The only thing in Super Robot Wars that gets abused more than the fabric of the universe is children!

:smith:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jerik posted:

It's not just 6th Ed.; The Zohar is still listed as causing Sanity damage in the 7E rulebook, though the amount has been changed to 1/1D3+1. Nor is it the only real book that causes Sanity loss; there's also Frazier's The Golden Bough—which, as it happens, I've read, so welp, guess I lost some Sanity.

To be fair, the Golden Bough is so infuriatingly wrong and bad that I might buy that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It doesn’t get reprinted though because no one enjoys playing against it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RabidWeasel posted:

As someone who used to play MTG many years ago (I quit because it was too expensive and also getting rid of FILO was the worst) this made me go :popeye: but then I stopped and thought: why the gently caress did mana burn ever need to exist? What function did that gameplay mechanic serve?

Mostly? I think the intent was to try and force careful thought about resource usage, though it never really worked super well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The biggest stack change is damage not going on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

An additional layer to this is the folks who agreed and said that it got scratched and burst into thousands if smaller frogs.