Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

From D&D 3.5:

A Lyre of Building works as such: Once a week its strings can be strummed so as to produce chords that magically construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever. The effect produced in but 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days. Each hour after the first, a character playing the lyre must make a DC 18 Perform (string instruments) check. If it fails, she must stop and cannot play the lyre again for this purpose until a week has passed.

Normally, this would be balanced by the fact that characters need to sleep, and may eventually miss that check. However, Warforged never tire.

Get a Lyre of Building and enough ranks in perform to always make the DCs and you can get the equivalent of 100 humans working 48 days straight done in the eight hours that those weak meatbags around you need to sleep every night. And you can keep playing forever.

So yeah, you stop in the middle of a forest to rest and when your human friends are sitting in their tents shivering and trying to rest their weak organic muscles then you sing them a lullaby and when they wake up there's a whole freshly made village, farm, industrial complex, mine shaft, aqueduct, temple to your favorite deity, or heavily fortified zombie-proof fortress surrounding them.

Sam the Human Cleric: Did you just build a four-lane highway around the Mountain of No Return while we slept?

Mr. Fab the Warforged Bard: Negative, I build a four-lane highway through the Mountain of No Return. The reinforced tunnel support arches are designed to withstand over 10,000,000 metric tonnes of rock (far beyond the mere 7,533,927 metric tonnes that compose the mountain). I also included a few tactical inlets in case any monsters moved into it in the last thirty minutes, some drainage troughs in the event of flooding, and an automated toll-booth to collect payment from travelers (and they said my ranks in trap making were wasted). I'll just be registering this new highway with the Department of Transportation after we deal with the Bad Guy.

Sam: ... well at least our return trip will be speedy.

Also, you can say that you literally built this city with rock and roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wahad posted:

I read this and now my life's goal is to participate in a game as a Warforged Bard who gets this item and goes around constructing statues of himself everywhere he goes. Then, using the rest of the Lyre's powers, he will make towns and cities around them so as to create entire civilizations based around the religious worship of Steelheart the Glorious.

I'm fairly convinced this is why Eberron has such a high level of technological development, since Keith Baker is famous for his hands-off approach to canon...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LogicNinja posted:

OK, so, Things I Am Never Watching, #3: Evangelion.

The new movies are actually pretty good. Take all the angst and craziness of the original version, and instead have awesome robot fighting coupled with learning to get over yourself and become socially well adjusted. Shove it, guy who buys all the expensive statues we sold to make this movie!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yes. See, he's a doctor! This is perfectly sufficient to keep you from being knocked out when hit with a weaponized starship shield, right?

That seems consistent with his characterization and abilities, as well as the tone of the show and comic.

edit: I recall Inquest or some magazine like that publishing rules to allow you to play Magic using Ani-mayhem cards in place of summons, and my friends and I played that way for one summer. Wasn't as fun as Kangaroo Court rules, but was more fun than actual game, which if I remember right played similar to the Star Wars CCG with fewer pages of errata to memorize.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 28, 2013

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

The point was more that the word card on any Magic card, including silver bordered, is a reference to a Magic card and not any other kind of card. Even with R&D's Secret Lair, card is still in reference to Magic Card. So by RAW, none of this two of clubs stuff works.

So, could I grab that giant sized Chaos Orb from Inquest?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Let's talk about one of the grosser Murphy's Rules, the Old World of Darkness Vampire disciplines.

These were, needless to say, notoriously swingy. The best bang for your buck was, undoubtedly, Vicissitude, the signature discipline of Clan Tzimisce. It allowed you to warp and remould the flesh and bones of any target you could touch. You had to invest points in a skill called Body Crafts/ Alteration, but that's hardly a penalty in a system as loose and flexible as White Wolf.

At level 1, you can change cosmetic appearances, and can quite literally raise your appearance trait without spending XP. Sure, it's a difficulty 10 roll, but you can spend a week at it, can't you? At 2, you can make more drastic alterations to the flesh, and trade in health levels and strength dots for soak. At 3, you can change bones, and grow huge spiney quills in yourself and others, and outright kill most things with a simple roll.

quote:

Rend the Osseous Frame may be used without the flesh-shaping arts, as an offensive weapon. Each success scored on the Strength + Body Crafts/Alteration roll (difficulty 7) inflicts one Health Level of damage to the victim, as his bones rip, puncture and slice their way out of his skin.

The vampire may utilize this power (on herself or others) to form spikes or talons of bone, either on the knuckles as an offensive weapon or all over the body as defensive "quills". In the former case, the vampire takes one Health Level of normal damage; in the latter, the subject takes a number of Health Levels equal to five minus the number of successes ( a botch kills the subject if mortal, or sends the vampire into torpor). These Health Levels may be healed normally. Knuckle spikes inflict Strength +2 non-aggravated damage, while defensive quills inflict a hand-to-hand attacker's Strength in non-aggravated unless the attacker scores 3 or more successes on the attack roll (the defender still takes damage normally). Quills also enable the vampire or altered subject to add two to all damage inflicted via grapples or body slams.

A vampire who scores 5 or more successes on the Strength + Body Crafts/Alteration roll may cause a rival vampire's rib cage to curve inward and pierce the heart. While this does not send a vampire into torpor, it does cause the affected vampire to lose half his Blood Points, as the seat of his vitae ruptures in a shower of gore.

Note that causing someone to explode in a burst of skeletal spines does more damage the worse you roll.

Level 4 let you turn into a gigantic horror movie monster, and level 5 into a pool of sentient blood. These, respectively, give you +3 to all your physical traits, aiding in your grappling rolls, and prevent your from being harmed by anything except by the sun or by fire.

Now, you may be saying, "So what? You can change appearances and stuff? It's a great offensive weapon in an already kinda broken combat system. You can become a gigantic monster that removes limbs with ease, and can wipe mouths and noses off to suffocate your foes ("difficulty 5 for a quick yank and tug"). You can turn yourself into an unkillable blood pool that can hide anywhere. Big deal." Well, that's because you're not thinking like a troll.

Vampires can heal the transformations by spending blood, but they are permanent on mortals. The old stand by trick was to kidnap two people you didn't like, then use the level 1 powers to transform the one guy into the other, and vice versa. With the retainers background, you could have an army of guys who all look like you. Turn yourself into anyone you like, and with enough dots in manipulation you can pull it off with ease.

Whether you're playing in a combat or intrigue heavy game, there's little reason not to start with 5 dots in Vicissitude. It's almost never not the solution to your problem. All easily done at character creation, too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You know how I tried to make sure this thread wouldn't fall into unfunny pedantry and would instead have content? Clearly I have failed.Post funny rules if you want to argue about rules or go someplace else.

Relevant: Turns out AD&D 2e has cyberpunk elves.

:eng101: Probably based off the myths of Nuada Silver-Arm, who had a literal silver arm built for him by the god of healing after the old one was torn off so he could be king again.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

OmniDesol posted:

Cthulhu has hit dice of 42d12+378. He has an AC of 47, and has 6 tentacles attacks at +56 melee, 2 claws +50, and 1 stamp +50. Each tentacle does 4d6+16. He heals 50 hp a round, resists spells and damage, knows every single spell in this game AND in Dungeons and Dragons (no joke), and can just straight up grapple six characters a round. When Cthulhu grapples, he can choose to either drain your Str, Dex, and Con by 2d4 forever, give you SIX negative levels, reduce your Sanity and Wisdom to 1, or just completely disintegrate you. He also can't critical fail and senses everything up to 5 miles around him. He can choose the effect every round for each tentacle separately. As for freeing yourself from Cthulhu's grapple... short answer is "you aren't".

Considering that he gets beaten by being rammed with a boat in the head in the first story, I'm not certain those stats line up... Unless they also statted up the Alert as an amazing, god-killing attack yacht.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Crossposting from FATAL and Friends:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Illuminati: NWO had a card called "I Lied" that let you break a verbal agreement with another player. It was more of a self-resolving issue, because once you start playing that card, people stop believing you for some reason.

To elaborate, INWO has a written rule that all verbal agreements must be agreed upon immediately, so, for example, if I agree to trade you a card in exchange for you not attacking me, neither of us can go back on our words. This does not apply to future actions, so if I traded you a card in exchange for you not attacking me next turn, you could keep my card and still attack me. The card "I Lied!" lets you break the first type of bargain, which can be a great strategy, but also only tends to work once a game if you have any plot card in your hand. Once burned, twice shy, etc.

My favorite story involving this card happened in an early round at one of the big convention tournaments when the game was huge, around 1995-1996. The guy offered to pay his opponent $500 to throw the game. He put the cash on the table, they shook on it, and it was a done deal. The opponent told the judge that he forfeited the game, the guy tossed down the "I Lied!' card from his hand, put his money back into his wallet, and grinned. The opponent was apoplectic, and demanded that the game continue, but the judge refused, ruling that not only was the entire transaction legal, it was quite in the spirit of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Someone needs to write this, right now.

Let's call it...Wightmare.

Sounds like this would quickly turn into Eugene Ionesco's play Rhinoceros. Not that that would be a bad thing, mind you...

It was made into a film staring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel, which is about as awesome as you'd expect, even though the trailer leaves a lot to be desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgR1Pb-lk4