Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Let's Craft things in D&D 3e

So, how about it? Let's make the monk a throwing returning unarmed strike +1. He can now rocket-punch or even rocket-kick people to death from across the room, and the weapon will always return to his, er, hand. Better stick to punching there, champ.

Holy poo poo I can make Plok in D&D.

VVVVV Plok who is also a Battletoad. Goddamn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, how does this work? It seems that you'd have to play Thought Lash, then your opponent gets a turn (during which they can Disenchant it or something), and only on your next turn do you get to refuse to pay its upkeep and throw out your entire deck.

In response to the Disenchant you prevent damage to yourself however many times you need to have no cards left, then you activate chromatic star. The activation of chromatic star can't be responded to as it is a mana ability and the effect resolves without using the stack. This includes the draw, which triggers Laboratory Maniac's win condition. All the while 50-some Thought Lash preventions and Disenchant are sitting on the stack unable to resolve due to, you know, the game ending.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crosscontaminant posted:

I never understood why this was banworthy, frankly. You're only allowed three or four of them in your deck (I forget which) so your chances of drawing it are never very high.

Because there is no cost to use it, besides the card itself, and individual cards in Yu-Gi-Oh can get ludicrously powerful.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SystemLogoff posted:

Butterfly Dagger - Elma

Honestly, having played against it, it wasn't that harsh of a combo. Too many pieces that were too open to removal.

Its ban was probably because the banning guys have a horrible hatred of combos than any degeneracy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They named some older cards Guardian that weren't part of the Guardian theme. The Guardians have a tutor. Rather than let the player tutor lovely normal creatures:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Lord of Hats posted:

Snow Artifact Creature Planeswalker Enchantment Land - Tezzeret Plains Island Swamp Mountain Forest, that also has all creature types (including such wonders as "Cat" and "Elk").

He's also a Mutant Ninja Turtle, an Anteater Advisor, Caribou Survivor, Starfish Minion, Citizen Sheep, Hippo Incarnation, Coward Pincher Pirate, a Weird Sponge, and a Rebel Squirrel.

E: Also a Germ Ally and a Flagbearer Mongoose and Serf Deserter Badger and an Elder Whale Wall.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 13, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

All creatures types includes fun combinations like Fish Monger and Mutant Ninja Turtle. If you play R&D's Secret Lair, he gains esoteric types such as Ali from Cairo and Uncle Istvan.

If we count old creature type rules, those included Un-set creature types too. Now he's a Wolverine-Pack Expansion-Symbol Bureaucrat Tiger Crusader. A Miracle-Worker Leper Narwhal. Stangg-Twin Lady-of-Proper-Etiquette. Heretic Mime Designer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

Our DM has explicitly stated that the game world is flat after I asked too many questions on how immovable rods work in relation to a constantly rotating planet.

Your mission is now to kill the turtle the world is on.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I really don't know if un-set cards count for this thread because they're joke cards.

What does count is Fiend Hunter and cards like it. What it does is when it's played, it exiles a creature. However, if Fiend Hunter gets removed from play somehow, by like a kill spell or getting mauled in combat, then the creature comes back. White has a few cards like that, removal that's powerful but itself vulnerable to removal.

But what gets strange is if Fiend Hunter leaves play while its ability is on the stack. Without Fiend Hunter on the battlefield its ability still resolves, but since the Fiend Hunter is no longer there, the second ability will never trigger. The exiled creature is exiled forever.

Fiend Hunter was printed in Innistrad. Two sets later Avacyn Restored has a subtheme of blink effects, which exile then return a creature all during resolution. The important part to this is that when a creature leaves play but returns, the game considers it a new object. So when you play a Fiend Hunter, follow it immediately with a Restoration Angel and blink the Fiend Hunter. Two creatures get exiled and one of them won't come back due to the Fiend Hunter that exiled it no longer existing.

Also, it took Exile a decade to finally exile creatures.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

Wouldn't Mirrorweave wear off before before Mindslaver kicks in? (not a Magic player)

It's an instant so you can cast it on their turn, even though you're controlling it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rexides posted:

e: Wait, are lands turned into Chaos Confeti too?

Actually no, they would've died when March of the Machines was played, since they have no mana cost they become 0/0s and go to the graveyard as a state-based action, unless something is giving them toughness, like Master of Etherium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Another less excessive but fun thing about Precursor Golem is that it copies entire spells.

Notably Precursor Golem in the same set as Twisted Image. Your 3/3s become... 3/3s. But since it copies the whole spell, you copy the "draw a card." Suddenly, this minor combat trick with a cantrip is Ancestral Recall.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Replacement effects are hilarious sometimes. They have the format "if... instead..." meaning one action doesn't happen, but instead a different one happens. The important part is that the game considers the first action to never happen, which is relevant to triggers.

Wheel of Sun and Moon replaces "card goes to the graveyard" with "card goes on the bottom of the deck". This harasses decks that use the graveyard as a resource and can be used to prevent yourself from running out of cards. But replacing going to the graveyard entirely has a few implications:

"dies" triggers require going into the graveyard, but since going to the graveyard never happens, they never trigger.

Energy Field never triggers its second ability, which is supposed to balance its ability and cost. Now it's sort of unfair.

Helm of Obedience is an old card, so its wording is strange. The thing that ends its ability is X cards or a creature entering the graveyard. With that replaced by a card being put on the bottom of the library, it will now put cards on the bottom, eventually to be forced off and placed back on bottom yet again. It creates an infinite loop, forcing a draw.

An "infinite loop" in Magic is a series of events that never allows the game to progess and neither player can break. It can happen like Caged Sun, where there's no opportunity to try anything because mana abilities don't use the stack, giving neither player priority to try destroying it. There's ones like the Helm/Wheel thing up there, which happens during an ability resolving, a time when neither player can do anything. Then there's ones where the players could do something but can't, like three things with abilities like Fiend Hunter's that can target only each other and nothing else, and neither player has the ability to stop them. They just keep going and going and going and the game can't end.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I remember something about Jedi in a Star Wars game being better off with blasters instead of lightsabers, like, not just range, but the blasters are drastically better at making people not alive.

Is this me just repeating hear-say or is there a game where Mace Windu would've gotten much further in life just shooting everybody?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
LightWarden how do you make a post smoothly segue from the difficulty of not killing to tactical weddings to mind adventures so easily?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's tabards all the way down, isn't it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jack the Lad posted:

Having a Half-Ogre Cancer Mage Hulking Hurler throw the moon into the planet (or the planet into the sun) is simpler and easier in terms of mass destruction, I'd think.

Don't you remember LightWarden's first post in this thread? You can't see the sun or the moon. They're too far away so you're taking over a hundred million penalty to spot checks needed to establish line of sight.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rulebook Heavily posted:

AD&D 2e, priest spell compendium 1:

Okay, so, where do we even start on this one.

I'm guessing the writer of that book had an extremely specific adventure, and wanted to make sure that adventure had its spell goddammit. If your group happens to be running a "get a dwarven town back on its feet" campaign that also needs to be abruptly resolved at level 5, you've got your solution!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eponymous posted:

At what level is the morality of the gold's usage judged?

The level of Berronar Truesilver, obviously. It's gold by his blessing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I imagine you could find some way to bind Berronar Truesilver to your will and turn hair into gold all you want and do with it what you want. Earn around 80k a day! All you have to do is mispronounce his true name frequently! Or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

xiw posted:

This image all by itself sold me on the book and game

Well no wonder. There's no space between belt and shoes so presumably your character has their naughty bits exposed to the world at all times.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Roll rather high DC checks for whatever governs knowing hawks can do that and for training a hawk to do that.

If the nude halfling party wants a hawk-drawn wagon and have the intellect and skills to make a hawk-drawn wagon, for gently caress's sake let them have a hawk-drawn wagon, because this nude halfling campaign is already strange.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

senrath posted:

I'm personally more of a fan of the retroactive sand objects.

See, 3.5 had a book called Sandstorm, full of desert related things. One of these was a prestige class called the Sand Shaper, a caster that got the ability to make things out of sand. You take some sand, decide what you want to make, then roll a caster level check. The DC to make this item is based on the size and complexity of the item. You can have at most one item per Sand Shaper level made in this way. Seems fine so far. The problem comes in with how they assigned the DCs and the fact that the time it takes to make an item is directly equal to the DC in minutes, with no minimum value. See, the lowest DC you can have is for a cube (or similarly simple item) that's 1 cubic feet of sand or less, and that DC is -5. That means you finish making it 5 minutes before you started. This holds even if you make it a functioning tool (DC -3, three minutes before you started) or give it fine details (DC -3) or even both (DC -1, one minute before you started). Heck, if you want to make a weapon out of it that only takes you exactly 0 minutes to do, as that's a DC 0 check.

I want to DM a game with this book entirely to gently caress with the perception of time and make people paranoid about tiny fences and walls of sand cubes arbitrarily existing suddenly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaDog posted:

What happens if you murder someone in between the time when the stuff appears and the time when they would have going to be causing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWN8AhNER0

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eox posted:

Eight halflings surrounding and grappling the same medium-sized target can each move their full speed with the entire mass within a 6 second round. This gets more ridiculous in Pathfinder with the Ratfolk, who can share the same space as another Ratfolk with the Swarming racial trait.

So, if my math's right, a group of 10,928,568 ratfolk grappling off of each other could achieve the speed of light.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bewilderment posted:

and I don't know what command blocks do

They're blocks only obtainable through text commands that store such commands and execute them when receiving redstone signal.

Like you could put in one
code:
/give bewilderment 19
and whenever someone pushes a button, it would give you a sponge.

Naturally these commands can do about anything there is to do and so you can do some crazy poo poo with them. What exactly the command blocks are doing in this calculator I don't know and it would take a while to discover since there are 800 of them in there.

There's no real equivalent in the skeleton computer thought experiment unless skeletons can have access to Wish or another open-ended reality-shaping spell like that and can have making specific wishes when the skeleton in front raises its left arm implanted into them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A normal computer can't have each individual bit grab a club and start smacking one's enemies.

The skeleton computer can.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I just wanted to say thanks to this thread I'm working on a little 1-2 session adventure for 4E where you're adventures turned skeleton computer technicians. It's your job to remove all the bugs. I mean the literal bugs. The giant ones that escaped from the Zoology lab. They're in the computer's labyrinthine halls and busting up some of our best Skeletons.

Put a sign that says "DO NOT MANUALLY RAISE SKELETON ARMS" just so they'll manually raise skeleton arms and create a cascade of 0s going to 1s.

No ill effects, just confusion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, fighting while on fire goes as far back as GURPS, and was in the original Murphy's Rules comics. If you were in the dark, it was to your advantage to light yourself up because the penalty for fighting while on fire was less than the penalty for fighting in the dark, and at least now you can see.

Is fire a light source if it's not specifically on a device like a lantern or a torch?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lady Naga posted:

it's just fun to take what's written to its logical conclusion.

For the past 33 months that's why this thread has existed and continues to receive posts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rexides posted:

That's trying to figure HP from the perspective of those who own them. I think a better way to view them is as the amount of effort an attacker must expend to make something become Not A Problem.

That's a lot of effort to dissuade a tiny wooden cube.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This thread is old as poo poo so post it anyway. You'll give your own spin on it so it'll be different even if someone else has covered the topic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cuchulain posted:

:megaman:Tool Assisted Speedrunning Dungeons and Dragon 3.5.:megaman:

Could you get multiple crystals and set up multiple save points?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I can't remember, has there been a breakdown of why the housecat is so dangerous?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Splicer posted:

What the hell kind of dagger is that.

CCA restricts excessive knifeplay, so we had to give her this ridiculous thing to get past the censors.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Can people sense comeliness through masks or full helmets?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

Miniature combat is the best because you can have jelly beans and m&ms for enemies and eat whatever you kill.

This is the greatest defense and justification of the use of minis.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Razorwired posted:

"I cast Fireball so that it hits all the goblins but doesn't hurt the party :smaug:"

"No," the radio crackered, "The party is the goblins."

And then the wizard was an orc.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zereth posted:

Here's a Synnibarr Fun Fact I didn't notice when doing my review for F&F all those years ago.

I'm pretty sure every rule in Synnibarr is a Murphy's Rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Man, gently caress everything else, defeating your foes forever by trapping them in a lost pocket dimension where they can never die and are eternally beaten by a zombie with a stick is some hardcore poo poo.