Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Zereth posted:

Oh man, this got posted when I wasn't looking? I have something to share!

So. In D&D 3.5, there's various things which allow you to survive large amounts of negative HP, for a very short time. The Frenzied Berserker in particular allows you to survive literally infinite amounts as long as your rage holds out, I believe. There are assorted charop tricks which use this sort of thing, some sort of damage copying/transference or something to exploit it, and then fix the fact that you're in the millions or possibly literally infinite amounts of negative HP depending on what damage trick you used, by sticking the character's head in a bucket of water.

See, when you start drowning, the first step is that you fall unconscious and your HP is set to zero. Easy way to stabilize somebody: drown them! Then just pull them out once that happens and heal them up from zero!

There's just one small problem most of these people have overlooked: there are no rules for stopping drowning.

There you are. The mechanical effects of drowning. Once you begin drowning, you go to 0 HP and unconcious: Then you go to -1 HP the next round, then on the third round you drown. Absolutely nothing about any method of stopping this process, and if you're rolling with RAW poo poo like assuming that means yoru HP go UP to zero if they were lower, well.

In fact, since it doesn't say you die, we should go look up the rules for drowning to see what happens when you get to the third round! Let's see...

Oh right. Well. Apparently, drowning is not technically lethal, bu once you start you can never stop. You will be trapped in a horrible limbo of dying but unable to die forever.

And the Dead condition doesn't actually indicate it stops other ongoing conditions like this, so even if somebody kills you, you'll only know the peace of the grave until the next round at which point you either get stuck back in the "unconscious at 0 HP" or "dying" state.

No, this falls afoul of the same issue with the "drown yourself to recover from enormous amounts of damage" trick: the throwing rules don't care about momentum. The sufficiently long string of peasants hand the ball down the line long enough to achieve light speed, then the last one throws it using the normal throwing rules. It is, however, useful for other purposes as gnome7 already explained.
3.5 still has the answer to this. Look at crisis of breath. It's like drowning, but with the ability to stop it.

EDIT: Oh, don't forget shadow magic. Spells like shadow conjuration allow you to create any conjuration spell with only 40% reality if the target succeeds on his Will save to disbelieve. However, the shadowcrafter and shadowcraft mage PrCs both boost shadow reality by +20%, as does the Enhanced Shadow Reality feat. And a shadowcraft mage can turn any image spell (like silent image) into a shadow spell, with reality equal to the level of the spell. Use Heighten Spell and Easy Metamagic or Earth Spell to increase the level of the spell to 9th, making it equivalent to a 10th level spell, and 160% real. Which means that someone who fails his or her Will save will only take 100% damage, while someone who succeeds takes 160%.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

3.5 is the most videogamey RPG ever, since it has the ability to create save states.

Basically, a psion can manifest forced dream, a power that allows you to "undo" a turn and retry it. But they instead share it with their psicrystal. Then the psion gives it the ability to check on the status of the party, with status or something, and prepares a readied action to manifest time hop on it when it moves. The psicrystal moves, and the readied action goes off, sending it into the future. The party then goes on its way.

The psicrystal appears several hours in the future, checks on the party (a free action), and then if the party is dead or elsewhere or just want to go back, it rewinds its turn, going back several hours to when its action started. Thus, savestates.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Otisburg posted:

I remember in my middle school AD&D campaign some dude played an alaghi fighter and just beat all the faces everywhere, till nary a face was unbeaten.
'Sup. I played an alaghi fighter, too, though I used the rules from Players Option: Skills and Powers, which was a whole different kettle of fish in terms of how broken things got. He not only beat face with his fists, he also double-specialized in throwing coins, which was like throwing darts except they dealt less damage. And you know how crazy dart throwing was.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

A club costs 0gp, which multiplies into 0sp.
You can wish for 25,000 gp of clubs, thus dividing by 0 and creating an infinite club singularity.

EDIT:

LightWarden posted:

3.5e has the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, a book designed to give fighting characters more awesome abilities divided amongst nine different schools of battle. One of these schools is Iron Heart, focusing on determination and weaponskill to achieve almost supernatural things.

One of those maneuvers is Iron Heart Surge.

There are lots of things you can use this maneuver for. Iron Heart Surge your way out of a debilitating spell, or maybe shake off a disease or poison. But what is an effect? Can you use Iron Heart Surge to end hunger or thirst? What about the infirmity of old age? Or poverty?

And it says that "that effect ends" not "that effect ends for you", so if you use it to shake off a spell cast on your whole group, it ends the spell entirely for everyone, not just relieving them of the effect for a round.

Well, Drow and Orcs are blinded by bright light, and dazzled if they linger in it. So if a drow in daylight uses Iron Heart Surge... daylight ends immediately.
And the resulting darkness has an effect on someone without darkvision, so a human could end the darkness with Iron Heart Surge. Days and nights last one round, as dueling warblades mess with the time. Meanwhile, Pelor goes off and gets drunk.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 22, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

D&D 3.5 and Magic both have infinite combos by the dozens. Pun-Pun's just one of the D&D ones, and even as recently as Scars block, combo decks like Exarch Twin have brought the pain in Standard.

However, in both D&D and Magic, people have decided to come up with the largest amount of damage you can deal without it being infinite. The difference being with an infinite combo, you can deal any amount of damage you want, whereas with these, you can only deal up to a certain non-infinite amount.

These are both exceedingly hard to describe, but are fortunately described on separate webpages.

The D&D combo uses multiple fate link loops, cloning using the Wu Jen spell body outside body, symbiotes from Magic of Eberron by the hundreds and thousands (all cloned by body outside body as well), and just using the Mental Resistance feat to make sure it doesn't go infinite. Its damage winds up being (2.5*10^36530)^^73600, where x^^y is x^(x^(x^...^x)), where there are y xs. The base number is much larger than the number of particles in the universe, and with the number of tetrations it undergoes, it quickly becomes unimaginably large.

The Magic combo, on the other hand, uses many token copies of Doubling Season, Mirari, Rings of Brighthearth, and many other cards coming together to form a series of loops that can't be infinite, since each loop element can reset only smaller loop elements, not larger ones.

Each loop layer adds one or more ^s to the final expression, giving the final result of 2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^30 damage, a number that dwarfs the first one the way the first one dwarfs the money in your pocket.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Randalor posted:

Oh, it gets better than that. Part of the spell is "It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn". It has a rather short range (25 ft +5 ft per caster level) but there's nothing saying it has to appear on the ground. Want to summon a whale 25 feet above your enemy's head? You can, and as it acts immediately, your opponent won't have time to get out from under it.
Actually, 3.0 did say conjurations did have to appear on surfaces capable of supporting them.

Oh, it gets better. The Warhulk from the Miniatures Handbook also required you to be large, and instead of getting any BAB whatsoever, got +2 to Strength each level. This in normal circumstances had the result of getting +1 to attack and +1 to damage (or +3/2 with a two-handed weapon). However, with a hulking hurler, this instead meant exponential increases in damage.

With 10 levels of warhulk, you get +20 to Str, and thus x16 to your carrying capacity. If you take the Natural Heavyweight feat from Planar Handbook, your carrying capacity doubles, and wearing a belt of wide earth from Magic Item Compendium doubles it again for only 8,000 gp.

EDIT: The fastest way to get it done is with an anthropomorphic baleen whale from Savage Species. 3 racial HD with full BAB, +8 to Str, no LA, and no worries your size will be dispelled. If you go with anthropomorphic baleen whale 3/fighter 2/hulking hurler 2/warhulk 10/war mind 3, your Strength goes up to 15 (starting) + 8 (racial) + 6 (enhancement) + 5 (inherent) + 5 (levels), for a total Str of 39 unbuffed. With the belt and the Natural Heavyweight feat, this gives you a carrying capacity of 29,856 lb, giving you 152d6 + 14 damage with a normal rock.

The levels of war mind give the ability to manifest expansion, which can raise your size by two categories and give you an additional +4 to Strength, and the Chain of Personal Superiority ability, which gives you a +2 insight bonus to Strength 3 times a day. The Practiced Manifester feat lets you get a manifester level of 7 with expansion with only three levels in war mind. Buffed, you come out to gargantuan size and Str 45, meaning you can lift 272,896 pounds and deal 1362d6 + 17 damage.

That's 136 tons. And that's not even the start of what you can do with a hulking hurler.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 1, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DC 40? What kind of creature can make that kind of Strength check?
Aid Another. 16 1st level human commoners with Strength 10 can take 10 and push it over. It's still funny that they can do it and a dragon can't, though.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Boy, when I think of demonic power, I think of +4 to saves against some incredibly narrow category of effects! That's like, the ne plus ultra of demonic influence. With this kind of power, the forces of good don't stand a chance!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Smarter than the Average Einstein

The awaken spell in 3.5, when cast upon an animal, gives it an Int score of 3d6 and +1d3 Cha. These, being numeric, variable characteristics, can be enhanced by Empower Spell and Maximize Spell. With both of those (or even with them from metamagic rods), you can give an animal an Int score of 18 + 3d6 / 2, which can be between 19 and 27. That's smarter than any human.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

LightWarden posted:

Back to the D&D 3.X and its offspring, we have How To Get By (With A Little Help From Your Furry Friends).
Oh, holy poo poo, I forgot about this. The Halfling Outrider class from Complete Warrior has a class feature that says "Halfling outrider class levels stack with paladin, druid, and ranger levels for determining the characteristics of a paladin’s mount or an animal companion." Not or, and.

How to abuse this? Well, you can't be a paladin and a druid at the same time, and ranger levels suck for animal companions. However, there's a prestige class called Beastmaster in Complete Adventurer, which gives you an animal companion equivalent to that of a druid whose level is the beastmaster's + 3. So you could get two pretty good creatures.

But why have two pretty good creatures when you can get one awesome one? Enter the Devoted Tracker feat, also from Complete Adventurer. It says that your special mount can count as your animal companion. So each level in halfling outrider gives the bonuses of one level in paladin and one level in beastmaster. Simply go halfling paladin 5/beastmaster 5/halfling outrider 10 and you'll have the bonuses of a 15th level paladin mount and a 18th level druid animal companion. So it has +20 HD, +22 natural armor, +10 Str, +6 Dex, 9 Int, 7 tricks, as well as the empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws, devotion, improved speed, command, multiattack, and spell resistance abilities. At this point, you're probably playing the mount more than the paladin.

But why stop there? You could instead take the Dragon Mount feat from Draconomicon and gain a gold wyrmling dragon as your special mount. This means you count as a lower-level paladin by about 4 levels for the purposes of advancing it, but it doesn't reduce the animal companion advancement at all. So now you've got a dragon with 26d12 HD, which means it's a mature adult. It casts spells like a 9th level sorcerer, has Str 46 and Dex 16, and has a breath weapon that deals 14d10 fire damage and one that deals 7 points of Str damage.

At this point, the little guy on your back is pretty much a formality.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

R&D's Secret Lair breaks most hilariously with Floral Spuzzem.

"Floral Spuzzem, do you want to destroy an artifact? I'll wait until you tell me."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Ariamaki posted:

Nope! Having a 0 is very distinct from having nothing at all, and so despite having the same "cost" in all functional terms, not even Richard (and not even in his Secret Lair) can let you make this swap.
However, since lands have no mana cost, you could play a land as a Lotus Bloom.

Speaking of nonexistent mana costs, let's look at Evermind.

Note the reminder text there on the card says, "(Spells without mana costs can't be played.)" So back when it came out, if you stuck it on an Isochron Scepter, you couldn't cast it to draw yourself a card. Nor could Fist of Suns do it for you.

However, when Time Spiral came out, a cycle of six different spells came out that could only be bast through suspend. So that rule had to be changed. Now, the reminder text on Evermind reads "(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)" There's no land or combination of lands that will let you pay {} for a spell. However, Isochron Scepter works now, Fist of Suns works now, and you can cascade into it, which has gotten Hypergenesis banned in Modern.

Other rules weirdness with Evermind: It used to be that when it was spliced onto an Arcane spell, it turned the spell blue, since the "Evermind is blue" text was copied. However, Evermind is now blue because of a color indicator on it, and the color-setting text on it no longer exists. Thus, you can't splice Evermind onto Glacial Ray to let it kill a Kor Firewalker anymore.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 19, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Thanks to a clarification on the Pathfinder boards, tracking is separated into two skills: Knowledge (nature) lets you identify tracks, while Survival lets you follow tracks.

Therefore, it is possible to identify a set of tracks but be completely unable to follow them, or follow a set of tracks and be completely clueless as to what left them!

Pathfinder: "I'm tracking the wild... um... I ain't got no fuckin' idea. But it went thataway!"
If I brought a snowmobile to Golarion, no ranger would have a clue what it was, but a blind man would be able to follow its trail.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

This is the best description of how wonky the associated class rules are.

oslacamo on associated classes posted:

Now the first matter we need to clear up it's associated class levels and non associated class levels. Basically, the books say that normally class levels add +1 CR on a 1 to 1 basis. However, if you're giving the monster class levels that don't play directly to their strengths (like giving wizard levels to a troll), then the CR only increases 1 by each 2 class levels, until the monster has as much non associated class levels as racial HD.

Problem is, how do you know that a class is associated or nonassociated with a certain monster? The troll for example. Giving it wizard levels sounds like a bad idea, at first, but let's look more carefully.

First just 2 wizard levels. It's stats get improved. Let's put the +5 at int so he gets 11 int and can cast 1st level spells. Scribe scroll isn't that useful, so we'll use the variant wizard that swaps it for a fighter feat. We'll get a bat familiar for a blindsense scout, or trade it for something else. Yes we can do that. The troll gets +17 hp from it's extra two HD, thanks to his fat con, +3 to his will save, that was pretty weak before, +1 BAB, and can cast two or three spells for some utility. Like grease to hold the party's cleric at bay while it closes in. It can also now use scrolls and wands, which he can afford with his NPC wealth.

Not too shabby, right? The troll has CR+1, but it's gained a series of considerable bonuses.

Now let's give it 6 wizard levels. It can now cast 3rd level spells( he gained two stats increase at 8th and 12th level, so let's increase his int to 13), so it can fly, see invisible opponents, become invisible himself plus plenty of other stuff. It also gained a good chunk of HP, two extra fighter feats total, +3 BAB total, +2 to ref and fort and +5 to will, and can now speak with his familiar. Plus trolls stats.

It's total CR is 8. If used properly, he's quite a challenge to the party.

And now a more extreme example, Tiny the stone giant wizard. He begins CR 8 and with 14 HD. Give him 14 wizard levels and now he's CR 15. But he casts as a wizard 14. With stone giant stats. And can pick up epic feats. And his ECL is 28, so he gets a buttload of money to spend in equipment!

So, my advice is, consider that all class levels are associated for normal monsters, and nonassociated for elite monsters. Tiny would make a great leader for a stone giant force, but a tribe made only of Tinys will just roll over the party. And once more, notice that nonassociated caps when you have as much class levels as racial HD, thus monsters without racial HD count everything as associated.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

You don't need a bucket and a loose interpretation of RAW to cure someone from -∞ to 0; all you need is a psionic power, crisis of breath. It's like drowning in that the target goes to 0, but it stops when the power is no longer maintained.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Cheesemaking is chronomancy?

Does CH refer to the Cheesemaker's Handbook, then?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Well, the Murphy's Rule is that you can wish for 25,000 gp worth of items. How many clubs is that?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Doing so doesn't make much sense, as the beholder is giving up the chance to hit you with several Save-or-Suck eyebeams in order to muck about with your battlefield position, but it can do it.
It actually isn't, since its eyebeams are free actions. And things like trips and bull rushes probably help the beholder about as much as its wimpy-rear end bite anyways.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Grim posted:

In 3E you could apply the Multiheaded Template to Beholders I always thought that was pretty funny
Would a Lernean Multiheaded Beholder be invincible because it has no necks to sever?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Elfface posted:

Surely the best option is to declare someone to be a construct, then case a repair spell on them?

"Well, we can't afford a healer... take him to old Chuck's. He can fix anything, so long as he thinks it's a robot."
And he can only do this because he hates robots so much.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yes, a peasant "railgun" moves it from one end to the other instantly, then the peasant throws it using the normal throwing rules. D&D 3.x doesn't care about momentum in anywhere except I think maybe flying rules.

Drowning yourself may not work, as there's nothing in the rules about stopping drowning, but let's not get into that again. Better to just get Regeneration somehow so we don't need to.
Or use the crisis of breath psionic power. It's just like drowning, except you can make saves against it and the original caster can dismiss it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

That fireball would be really awesome, though?

Wizard: I target my FIREBALL in the center of our group.
Party: What the hell? You fuckin
Wizard: :science:

Party: MAN I'M REALLY BURNIN IT UP *slam dunks a kobold from across the court*
poo poo, now I really want that spell.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Also, turning into a bear may count as being protected from the blizzard.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

If it's only usable 1-3 times a day, why not turn it into a ranged touch spell with Reach Spell, and then use Chain Spell to make it affect multiple creatures?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Make sure all the undead you put in have their flesh stripped off. You don't want to have zombie processes.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Short but sweet:

D&D 3.5. Use psionic contingency to manifest anticipatory strike with the trigger being "an enemy would act before I do".

This lets you go first, always. Even if you're up against a deity with Supreme Initiative. Given how rocket-taggy 3.5 is, this is an unsurpassed advantage.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Except when something dies due to negative levels, it becomes a wight unless the specific negative level description says otherwise.

The world is quickly overwhelmed by wights.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

How does rear claw rake work, anyway? I've never seen a cat do a donkey kick.

The cat grabs with its front claws, and tears with its hind claws.

Source: I've had a cat do that to my arm.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

In Maid RPG (yes, I know), instead of having Hit Points, your character suffers Stress. And Stress can come from anything from being beaten to the last icing-corner of a cake to being punched through a wall by a giant robot -anything that's a contest between two characters.

Now when their Stress exceeds a certain value called their Spirit, they undergo a Stress Explosion, which means they go and do something to cope - eating, hiding in a corner, going on a shopping spree, and so on. Their Stress goes down by 1 per real-time minute they indulge in this, and when it hits 0, the Stress Explosion ends. All well and good -it fits a less-serious game that isn't necessarily focused around combat.

Now some grim events and items change the Stress Explosion to "Death", signifying a darker turn. However, this doesn't otherwise change the Stress Explosion rules, meaning you die (probably horribly), are dead for a certain number of minutes, then come back to life once your Stress runs out.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

kafziel posted:

Some sort of animate object?

Or telekinesis, that would work too.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Olesh posted:

Every creature, no matter how absurd it would be to actually use it, is technically capable of performing an unarmed strike, and even receives multiple attacks while doing so if its base attack bonus is high enough. A T-Rex, instead of using it's bite attack, is technically capable of instead ineffectually slapping an opponent three times a round for non-lethal damage.

A tyrannosaurus can take Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, since those feats have no stat requirements. It then gets 3 unarmed strikes which deal 4d6+9 damage, almost as much as its bite (3d6+13). It even gets its bite attack afterwards at -5, or -2 if it takes Multiattack. It can also take Improved Natural Attack to increase the damage to 6d6+9. And hey, it has four useless feats it can replace (Toughness ×3 and Run).

So yes, a dinosaur can totally kung-fu you to death.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Man, now I want to see a punchology conference.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Is there a reason your Con mod would be below -1? Also, rolled hit points in this day and age?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Also, the fighter loses Power Attack and all feats derived from it due to not having 13 Str. And if he has a PrC with Power Attack as a prerequisite, he loses all abilities from that class as well.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Elfface posted:

Isn't that game Bunnies and Burrows, where a single flea-bite does 1hp damage to your 4hp bunny?

Now that's inaccurate. I've rescued kittens with dozens of fleas on them, and they would be dead if flea bites did 1 damage each. Unless kittens have many times more HP than full-grown bunnies.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

As i recall there was actually a weapon enchantment in 3.5 that let creatures with a bite attack and no hands wield a weapon in their mouth. I forget the book name but it was about aberrations and the enchantment was designed for Beholders?

The book was Lords of Madness; the enchantment was Mouthpick, which is a +1 enchantment.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

The main thing with longbows is that they were easily the best European ranged weapon pre-gun. It's just, you had to grow up using them to be any drat good at it. The English mandated at least one hour of longbow practice per week, IIRC, and used the thing regularly in daily life for a lot of peasants. It's why English longbows were a thing.

No one else put that level of effort into it. Crossbows were superior to normal European shortbows in just about every way but reload speed.

The reason no one else put that much effort into it is that having a peasant be proficient at longbow use requires that the bow is theirs, rather than being in an armory some soldiers could control. This means that they get to use them in peasant revolts.

Continental European nobles probably felt that such a thing was not worth having soldiers who were skilled with the longbow.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Isn't the point of weapons that you don't want them to stop as soon as they touch your opponent?

You want them to stop inside your opponent. Someone shot with an immovable crossbow bolt will be stuck in place and will have to pull themselves backwards off the bolt. Someone shot by two or more will have to be cut out of their predicament.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

But if it activates on impact it won't ever enter the body, it would stop in mid-air with the point lightly touching the target.

Have a plunger at the back that activates the button (also at the back) when the bolt comes to a sudden stop.

Or else have a magical trigger that goes off when it stops after being fired from a crossbow with a certain magical tag attached (like a weapon crystal or something similar). I mean, it is magic, you can use more magic for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I thought the Magic thread for those kinds of tricks fell into the archive.