Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I thought Awakening and Emerging in Shadowrun was a complete crapshoot. Like in theory the magic mice thing could work but have fun funneling through 20,000 specimens to get a magic one. And breeding is right out because like all science magic says gently caress you to genetics and just touches whatever it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So if you're rendered unpopular the answer is to become a drug addict? Why am I not playing this game?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Dareon posted:

Silly or not, I would totally houserule someone could install something in their breast implants. :colbert: It is exactly the kind of pink-mohawks-and-pleather cyberpunk detail that I go nuts for.

Combination safe.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
EDIT: I should really keep my tabs straight.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 21, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Snorb posted:

Here's one from the old Buck Rogers: High Adventure Cliffhangers.

Whenever you melee attack someone, it's an opposed Strength roll. Whoever does better on the roll gets hit and has to make a Health roll to avoid suffering the weapon's effect (which is usually "make another Health roll, and if you fail the roll your character bites it.") if you tie on the attack roll, both of you get hit and have to make Health rolls to shrug off each other's weapons.

So, yes, it is difficult but possible to recreate the ending from Rocky II by knocking each other out, or cause a sword fight that ends with both of you fatally running each other through at the same time.

I'm reminded of the EMT saying, "You can always tell who won a knife fight. The loser is dead by the time we get there. The winner dies en route to the hospital."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah at least Dark Sun got around that by having common weapons not made of money.

It also made for hilarious campaigns when the Fighter got their hands on a steel sword/set of armor and the campaign turned into "Every chump bandit for a hundred miles is hunting you because you're wearing a money suit."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Now I want to run a campaign featuring Dwarves who have emptied the gold veins in their mountain. Now they simply write runes on scrolls. The great Sage sits in the heart of the mountain, granting audiences with Dwarves to reject or accept their scrolls. The great forest around the mountain has been reduced to half its size. The stench of the paper mills reaches for miles around. Dwarven banks, once safe from everything short of a dragon attack, now close every other week amid claims of Gnomes hacking through the stone walls and stealing entire vaults of scrolls.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
PbtA games also usually play out like this:

(players are obviously role-playing sexual tension/hella flirting)
MC: So I'm gonna stop us here. Player A, are you trying to trigger Martin's Sex move?

Player A: If B gives me the green light.

MC: Player B?

Player B: Cool.

MC: *Explains consequences of conflicting Sex Moves and marks resources/whatever*

I think the only elfgamers I know that play out the sex are a weird kink group anyway.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Have Beastmasters gotten a meaningful fix/support book in the year they've had their eye on the spec?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Serf posted:

Okay, but what about the things I mentioned? AoOs, cover and concealment, the size of spell effects (the GM has to track them too, not just players), ranges for ranged attacks etc. If you ignore all of that then what is really left of the combat engine?

"I cast Fireball so that it hits all the goblins but doesn't hurt the party :smaug:"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Bruce Lee was also big into Education and philosophy, and it influenced his approach to martial arts.

Those rolls could be used to be literal Bruce Lee.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Prostitutes are also a cornerstone of the Norm Macdonald School of Subterfuge:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Can I paper mache ads and political imagery on all my armor for some kind of bonus?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
At some point a splatbook will reveal that every Shadowrun Murphy from Troll Hawkeye to Pulverizing Flashbangs is 100% intentional and canon.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the answer is always to just play D&D 4E and re-flavor everything to be spacemans instead of elfmans.

Vanguards actually kinda play like Charge Barbarians. Seems legit.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Is Mary Sue still considered a fanfic thing? I mean this is the genre of Kvothe, Dick Rahl and Drizzt loving Do'Urden.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Bobot: The Human Robot Human Robot Chronicles is legit more interesting than the last 20 years of actual WotC books.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Arenaland canb be a fun skel campaign if you start thinking of death like a necromancer. Dead in the tournament isn't dead. Dead humans become zombies and bashed zombies become skeletons. There's an entire losers bracket of undead. Should a mindless undead manage to kill 3 competitors they're ressurected per their contract.

Sprinkle in some super anachronistic NPCs as people that spent decades in the losers bracket before getting their third kill. The Archer champion is a Halfling with a sling staff or overdraw bow. He's a fan favorite because that weapon went out of style like 100 years ago and now it's a cool gimmick. The Naval Challenge League features a team captain who was in Losers Bracket so long that she refers to countries and islands that don't even exist anymore.

Also if you're doing arenas go full Roman with simulated sea battles, dudes with sharp sticks fighting giant wyrms, etc.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Doresh posted:

I'm suddenly imagining a society of dwarves / vikings (dwarf vikings?) who party hard all the time and therefore have never figured out that alcohol makes you drunk.

If they're stranded or something and can't get some booze, they freak out because being sober is like some scary disease to them.

Some goon in TG posited that the ubiquity of Dwarf abilities like Cast Iron Stomach means that Dwarves probably can't get drunk. Dwarves are in a Forever War with the God of Brewing. They waste as much liquor as possible via drinking as revenge because in the First Age they got too rowdy and the God of Booze cut the entire race off.

They've been pissed off and hungover since.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
"Too bland to notice" is also how Ted became an undercover tabloid journalist in Scrubs.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

PMush Perfect posted:

I would play the gently caress out of that campaign.

Goon made Chroma Chronicles was still in development when I looked last. It features the Trainer, a class where the combat role isn't fulfilled by the PC but by a buddy creature that you generate at Character Creation, essentially Ash or the Digidestined. You can also be Sailor Moon or Goku.

starglitchgames.tumblr.com

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Doresh posted:

None of these belong in a game where you have to care about equipment.

It's 13th Age based so mission accomplished? :shrug:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's a sort-of Murphy from Legend of the Five Rings 4E.

To be honest it would be kind of fun to play the one guy obsessed with ritual, protocol and court politics in a sea of wandering snowflakes.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah can corroborate that most security is poo poo around delivery guys. Post 911 the department of Homeland Security liked to check our local government building's readiness level. They would occasionally slip a driver from a local vendor 50 bucks, hide in the furniture truck/some container on a flatbed, and "kill" the guards by having another inspector roll up in a marked car and declaring that if this were real poo poo the building would now belong to terrorists.

It worked literally every time.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Caros posted:

Soul corrupted by dark magic isn't as effective at healing etc etc.

Checks out in 13th Age, where Necromancers subtract their CON mod from spell attack rolls and can't cast the Mending cantrip.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
How much would an Exotic Saddle(Gelatinous Cube) of Acid Resistance cost anyway?

I'm imagining Appa's Saddle from TLA or a Ben Hur style chariot, personally.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Most Archer Rangers are styled after hunters so Archery Style for them is more likely to be "Shoot you in the kidney with a detachable head, wait 10 minutes for you to bleed out a mile down the trail." More than volley tactics anyhow.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Plot Twist: CastR is actually run by the Demon Lord of Gold and Blood. After displacing the established network of magic and the related regulatory body(The Circle of Magi) he introduces Surge Pricing. Instead of a jeweled bowl worth 1000g Heroes Feast is a series of 15 customizable microspells that cost between 75 and 250 gp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Elminster liked mayo and taught people to make it.

His favorite beer is canonically domestic American lager.

Elminster is a trash wizard.