Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Prison Warden posted:

For a kind of mediocre collectathon anime show one thing I did always like was that in the episode where the main character fights against someone who is using a God Card to set up a situation where he can't lose, the hero wins by exploiting some basic flaws in the games rules to force opponent to cede defeat on a technicality. The writer's inspiration from Magic is clear in a few places.

Makes me miss the actual first season where Yugi straight up murdered people with games and deathtraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ZeeToo posted:

Geez, so much Decipher, and not a word yet about Decipher Star Wars CCG? Let's rectify that.
~~~
And it's been so long I'm probably forgetting half the fundamental flaws!

Can you properly explain the madness that was a minelayer deck?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Vavrek posted:

I want to hear more about :

Much more. I mean, the Soviets were handled so well by the rules.

Entire army is Simo Häyhä?

Jedit posted:

The Finnish Ski Murder Patrol is also probably historically accurate. Underplayed, if anything.

Damnit, beaten while I was looking up his name.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Zemyla posted:

R&D's Secret Lair breaks most hilariously with Floral Spuzzem.

"Floral Spuzzem, do you want to destroy an artifact? I'll wait until you tell me."

Sometimes you just have to listen to the heart of the cards.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

... So, you could use that feat to be half-orc (The other half is also orc).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, a Rastlin who spends less time trolling himself.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Given there's a Russian folk tale that involves doing almost exactly that, I think this goes straight from Murphy's Rule to loving epic.

Oh god, I remember the Jim Henson's Storyteller on that. It's what made me realize that immortality actually sucks.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I'm just kinda :catstare: at that paragraph at the end about CR. Even the designers didn't know how to make it work.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

It's not D&D enough for my friends who like D&D and it's too D&D for my friends who don't like D&D. I think it's pretty awesome, but I'm also told I have bad taste.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, what's the feat tax to get an ability that lasts for one minute per caster level to streatch for 35 days, or to cut that build time down to something reasonable?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Forer posted:

"Jesus christ jimbob you must be the luckiest fighter around, How can I learn to be you?"
"Well first, you gotta wear nothing but the largest most cumbersome trashcan armor, then you need to roll around on the ground the second you get in a fight, close your eyes, cover your ears, and pray."
"and then?"
"And then somehow they die!"

Ninjadebugger can explain better than I, but there was a school of swordsmanship in early versions of L5R dedicated to this sort of nonsense. Dark Sword of the Bitter Lies.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Do walls and desks even count as similar enough to paper or parchment for the erase spell to even be able to target them? Or does this only work for schools in places with paper walls?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hmm, can the answer to the question be read without having the skeleton computer actually process and answer the question?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

LightWarden posted:

Toot toot motherfucker

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:
That was amazing.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

How many chickens do you have to sell to buy a bag of holding?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goodman Games, before they did Dungeon Crawl Classics the RPG, made their business publishing 3.5e modules under the Dungeon Crawl Classics brand. The overarching concept was that it'd be 3rd Edition modules, but with a TSR-era D&D dungeon crawling feel, with dungeons and traps and rooms and corridors and random encounter tables and all that, rather than the grand, sweeping story arcs of later D&D.

The idea for Dungeon Crawl Classics the RPG (probably) came from that, because one of their earliest DCC 3.5e modules was Legends Are Made, Not Born, which was a module that was tagged to be for "Level 0" characters, not even Level 1. That is, you were supposed to use the Warrior, Commoner, Aristocrat, Expert and Adept NPC classes from the 3.5e DMG, rather than the standard PHB classes, so that they'd be even weaker than level 1's:

He's an unoptimized mess, but who can pass up a chance to play BEELORD, LORD OF THE BEES?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You'd think that after the second one, corps would start installing pit traps in the lobbies.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

A preview of a revelation I had while writing the next Slayers d20: It is entirely mechanically possible for you to play as a fish who is also a wizard. You can also be one third fish, one third dragon, and one third demon.

Your fish-dragon-demon will never be as handsome as Noonsa :colbert:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

TokenTrevor posted:

Please please look up Shadow Hearts 2. There is a character that does exactly this.

THIS POST WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT BLUDGEON!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Tendales posted:

Probably not, except maybe for sporting or ornamental purposes. Just not enough draw on a crossbow that small to really be dangerous.

A tool for hunting pheasants, not peasants.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

But if it activates on impact it won't ever enter the body, it would stop in mid-air with the point lightly touching the target.

Could put the switch on the side.

Speaking of overly complicated arrows, did anybody ever stat up the nonsense that is expanding broadheads? I expect gnomes to be involved.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

... It's the first episode of Cowboy Bebop, but with less space and more guns.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

How is that not a silver boarder card?

Also, is forcing them to concede a valid option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

All this talk of pants removal, and nobody posts the frigging card that makes it relevant.