Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

LightWarden posted:

So an epic level healer and friends can roam the earth pulling off the Lazarus routine everywhere they go.
It should be noted that this can be a fantastic way to annoy your campaign's god of death. We did something relatively similar after a major battle, using ritual casters working in shifts to raise a good 50 to 60 people in the course of a week, and the Raven Queen sent some "persuasive" servants to pay us a little visit. I can imagine a wandering Lazarus show like this would attract bit more personal attention, but that would make for an amazing epic tier campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If memory serves, one such amazingly bum-jumped scenario is a Saw ripoff in which everyone passes out and wakes up with a decapitation device attached to their heads. There's an increasing chance each turn that any of the devices will kill its wearer - including the Traitor. It's entirely possible for this Traitor's master plan to culminate in his immediate beheading, which gives the survivors a pretty good chance at finishing up and escaping.

This is, of course, the mild end of the bum-jumping.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

In order to get to 12th level as a druid, you have to find and defeat one of the nine other 12th level druids in your region. Region here can be pretty broadly defined - in Europe, for example, you might have the regions of Eastern Europe, Western Europe, the British Isles, and Northern Europe. The loser, if not killed, gets reset to 11th level and the winner advances on. This process repeats itself going from 12th to 13th, with only three 13th level druids, and with one Grand Druid at 14th level.

Moving from 14th to 15th the stakes change and you have to be granted the position by the single remaining 15th level druid in the entire world. Your XP table gets out of whack at this point, as all it takes to move on to 16th is 500K XP. For comparison, getting up to 15th level took 3.5 million XP. Why does it take so little to move on? As the book points out, this is essentially an intensely boring level in which you're more or less not adventuring a lot, despite the fact that this makes so little sense that I need beer.

After this, you get cool elemental/planar powers and weird supernatural abilities which don't count as spells. What you don't get, at that point, are any restrictions on how many druids there can be, so you've got a situation where there are very few druids of 12-15th level, and possibly shitloads of them at 16+.

All in all, you go from being an adventurer, to competing in the Druid version of Highlander, to being elected Druid Pope, to throwing away the Druidic Papacy so that you can go hang out with other dudes who can pop off to the Elemental Planes whenever they like.

Decades later I still can't decide if this is amazing or terrible.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mendrian posted:

stuff he did at my table

In retrospect, this does not always work out as well as hoped due to the fact that so many wizard spells also inflict conditions. Or when your wizard has an uncanny knack for critting you and only you in the AOE.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That sounds pretty well in line with the setting, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I think "90 million gold coins" has a pretty good chance of meeting the definition of "high intrinsic value."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold

As far as D&D is concerned, it does.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

There's some old school argument to be made here about GP having intrinsic value due to its relationship to XP but I don't have it in me to fully articulate it right now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I had Charcoal March of Spiders as my second Sidereal style on a character once. The first combat after I had learned the Form, I used it with Rain of Unseen Threads. I never used it after that because it turned my turn into an ordeal that existed on the geological scale.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Prismatic Arrangement and Charcoal March are straight from the Sidereals book itself. I don't recall where Kaleidoscopic Logic and Obsidian Shards are from, but I believe they're from the Scroll of the Monk supplement.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

OmniDesol posted:

That's all for now, although I'm sure I could get into how each of the Elder Gods stats are ridiculous, impossible to beat with a full team of max level characters decked out with magical powerful items and spells, and have contingency plans for if they die. Like, yeah, it's all well within the theme of the original works, but at that point why bother to stat them? One example:

Cthulhu has hit dice of 42d12+378. He has an AC of 47, and has 6 tentacles attacks at +56 melee, 2 claws +50, and 1 stamp +50. Each tentacle does 4d6+16. He heals 50 hp a round, resists spells and damage, knows every single spell in this game AND in Dungeons and Dragons (no joke), and can just straight up grapple six characters a round. When Cthulhu grapples, he can choose to either drain your Str, Dex, and Con by 2d4 forever, give you SIX negative levels, reduce your Sanity and Wisdom to 1, or just completely disintegrate you. He also can't critical fail and senses everything up to 5 miles around him. He can choose the effect every round for each tentacle separately. As for freeing yourself from Cthulhu's grapple... short answer is "you aren't".

You could give it HALF these things, and it would still be "too much". At this point, it's not even "statting up a god encounter", it's masturbatory. And Cthulhu's not even the strongest elder god in the book. Azathoth begins his fights by summoning 1d4 OTHER Elder Gods, can kill everyone in a 20 mile radius 24 times a day, and has over 2000 HP. This serves no purpose to anyone.

To be fair, the book also straight-out says that you're not supposed to use the Elder Gods' stats in CoC and goes on to mention that the only reason they're putting the stats in is for the remote possibility that an epic level D&D party might not completely wipe against one of them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The thing about sticking that D&D portion in the CoC book is pretty clearly a callback to the original Deities & Demigods where they printed the Lovecraft and Moorcock stuff, so there's a precedent.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, it suggested implementing Sanity rules and gave SAN loss for monsters too, which struck me as kind of a bad idea at first but now that I'm thinking about it might kind of complement the murderhobo idea. That scary dude in the tavern with the huge sword who keeps twitching at noises as if expecting an ambush at any time? that's an adventurer, my friend, and he got this way by going out in the world and facing down what you can't or won't. Look what it did to him...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

In the new FFG Star Wars system there's an ability called Scathing Tirade which is primarily available to social-fu type characters. The long and short of it is that you take a combat action to make a Coercion (aka Intimidate) check in order to deal strain (nonlethal) damage to one or more targets. This is already a little silly in that you scold someone into unconsciousness, but it gets even better.
  • There's no targeting differentiation between organic and inorganic creatures, so you can make a robot feel so bad that it shuts down.
  • Hell, the target doesn't even have to speak your language or even be a sentient creature, so you could conceivably scold a rancor for leaving the toilet seat up until it lies down and passes out.
  • Your enemies' respective capabilities and defenses don't factor into the roll, so this can affect Darth Vader and Jar-Jar Binks equally.
  • This is one of the few methods of dealing this type of damage that aren't affected by soak, which means it's actually a fairly decent tactic against a heavily armored opponent if you can't get through his armor with weapons. Hell, chances are that a really beefy opponent isn't going to have a very high strain threshold due to the way that these things are calculated, so it actually might be really effective against such an opponent.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty sure I can see C3PO doing that daily, so that may just a legit simulation of Star Wars.

Naw, a legit simulation of Star Wars would be Threepio attempting to use Charm on someone until they killed themselves rather than listen to him.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is only going to encourage me to instantly roll some kind of mercenary Rap-Battling Assassin if anybody I know announces they are running this game. He stuns you with his sick rhymes, and then he Stuns you with his blaster rifle so he can drag you back to his employer.

That would probably actually work really well. Eventually down the same talent tree you can pick up an upgrade that lets you use this ability as a maneuver (aka move action). You could theoretically shoot someone with your standard action, then deliberately take some self-inflicted strain to use this ability twice in the same round. Effectively you'd get three stun attacks off in a single round. I may or may not already have planned to do this to a very formidable NPC in a duel.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

poo poo, in the last 3.5 game I was in we had a full party of 15th and 16th level characters and we nearly got wiped by a handful of shadows with a couple of greater shadows. I don't remember the details regarding the encounter super well since it was the last session of a game run almost a decade ago, but I do recall that I checked the math out and it fell well within the bounds of a reasonable encounter in terms of CR. This was my first real exposure to just how absolutely useless CR is as a tool.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

What I'm hearing here is that the party's Warforged, careful to keep any glue off of its joints and other moving parts, should just go ahead and smear Sovereign Glue all over its body.

Sensually.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My only question is, how do you lift a CSM Terminator Lord without grappling him?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

A game I had to walk out on, because the GM was weird and his girlfriend kept making weird noises.

This is more fodder for the catpiss thread than anything to do with the way Scion actually works.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

hyphz posted:

Rather odd murphy in the FFG Star Wars system.

When you want to use the Force, you have to roll a Force die - one of the many funky dice that come with the system. The Force die has sides showing numbers of white spots (light side) and dark spots (dark side); always 1 or 2, but never both on one face. You can use the light side dots as power-ups freely. You can also use the dark side dots if you want to, but you take corruption/damage/bad stuff when you do.

The problem is that in any case where you are spending dark side points, it's only because you weren't lucky enough to roll a die face with light side dots. In other words the only difference between a Yoda and a Palpatine could be that Yoda had better luck on the dice.

If you relied on dice alone, maybe, and it would take a truly long time in order for the Dark Side to accumulate in an amount necessary to make that difference. I rather think the murderous campaign of revenge that ballooned into genocidal fascism on a galactic scale had a lot more to do with it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Given that the initial caster can remove the Arcane Mark, I think that at a certain point the most effective method to clean up the graffiti at Dongwarts is a loud reminder that Fireball is in the official faculty spellbook.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, it gets even better: Nemesis and Rival NPCs have a talent called Adversary, which makes combat checks against them harder. The game is very specific about what constitutes a combat check - just the actual combat skills like Melee, Gunnery, Lightsaber, etc. Scathing Tirade uses a skill that's not on that list, so it's not just a good way to beat a Nemesis/Rival, it's the easiest and best way.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

bewilderment posted:

This actually isn't a thing that happen for a simple reason - DnD5e forbids casting two non-cantrip spells on the same turn. Since Counterspell is, itself, a spell, you can't cast both Lightning Bolt and Counterspell on your turn.

The linked article from Wizards explicitly says that you can do exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

e; wrong thread

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 25, 2018