Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CaptCommy posted:

Not to rain on everyone's parade here, but Secret Lair only works with Magic Cards.

We're not using R&D's Secret Lair to affect the non-Magic cards, we're using Richard Garfield, PhD. to affect non-Magic cards.

Vorpal Cat posted:

So can you use R&D's Secret lair with Richard Garfild, PH.D. to play a Two of Clubs you wished into your hand as if it was a Lotus Blossom? Richard never says the card in your hand has to be a magic card, and a two of clubs certainly doesn't have a mana cost.

Well, first you'd have to get the 2:c: in your hand in the first place, and you can't start throwing random poo poo into your deck for no reason.

However....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Speaking of Chaos Orb, here's a fun trick you can do with your friends.

First, get a Chaos Orb into play.

Then, turn it into a creature. There are roughly a billion ways to do this, but let's just use a ghost to possess it for a bit. (Ghost not pictured)

Next, let's play Dance of Many to create a copy of the Chaos Orb creature. To represent the token, use your own human body.

Because the generated copy only copies the base statistics of the copied permanent, you (the token) are not a creature, and as such, you are not affected by summoning sickness.

Add one mana and tap yourself to activate your ability. Then, climb the top rope and do a Phoenix Splash onto the table. Make sure you rotate fully, and try to land on as many of your opponent's permanents as possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYvU9MBOPk

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Crosscontaminant posted:

I notice that the card's name is "Ring of Ma ruf" (I don't see an apostrophe or a circumflex) but the card text says to destroy "Ring of Ma'rûf".

It might have been something to do with the font. They missed the circumflex on this handsome fellow. Twice! They figured it out eventually.

You think that's bad? Guess what the name of this card is. (There's a hint in the flavour text)

Answer: Ærathi Berserker!

Early card templating was terrible. They put a bunch of letters instead of mana symbols on a couple cards. They transposed the power/toughness on a card. They forgot to put a casting cost on a card. They put the wrong art and border on a card. They even forgot to print a couple cards! (Circle of Protection: Black, Volcanic Island).

That the game managed to survives all those gaffes says a lot about its appeal.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

I remember an IF some years ago -- which sadly I can't remember the name of -- where nouns could be used as verbs to transform their homophones. So, e.g., you could unlock a door with >LOX LOCKS, turning all the locks into delicious salmon.

I think an RPG based entirely around wordplay gimmicks (including creative misreadings of the rules like Zero Hitpoints the flying mount) could be pretty fun with the right group.

Similarly, Patanoir is an IF that uses similes and metaphors the same way, letting you melt a man's cool demeanour with the embers of a cigarette, etc.

Unrelated, but I remember vaguely reading about a fantasy setting where if you killed someone, their ghost would haunt you and scream at your forever, so all executions were performed by starving someone. Not sure where else to ask, but does anyone have a clue about this?