Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KillerQueen posted:

Did you know that there was a Firefly ttrpg? Because there was!
Now by all accounts I've heard from my friend, the only person I've known to actually play the thing, it was/is a completely broken and nearly unplayable piece of poo poo. However, the most interesting rule-lemon I've heard about it, it as follows:

A large aspect of the Firefly game is traveling expenses. Space travel costs quite a bit, and the game itself has what, at first glance, is a very well thought out and detailed chart for navigating to anywhere in the galaxy from anywhere in the galaxy. On further examination, however, it starts to break down.
For example, if you were to travel from Planet A to Planet B, it would cost 10 resource. But if you were to take a more roundabout route, going from Planet A to Planet 1, it would cost 4, and to then travel to B would only cost 1. So that whole gravity-slingshot idea Zapp Branigan had in Futurama? Totally viable, and easily the smartest way to travel in Firefly-verse.

Honestly if it's talking about travel just within the show's solar system, that doesn't actually sound like a bad way of handwaving how you would actually travel within a solar system. Gravity slingshots within a solar system are a real thing, it's how we send unmanned probes around for less fuel than they'd otherwise need, and get them to reach faster speeds than we could from just their engines alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well, if we're going to get fancy here, let's get really fancy. Magic the Gathering is Turing complete. That is, it's possible to implement a two-state Turing machine in Magic that uses nothing but in-game mechanics, without modifying the rules of Magic. (Though it would probably be fairly difficult to set up in-play. :v: )

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gau posted:

The design was abysmal, too, in keeping with all nineties TCGs. The first set had an infinite fetch loop AND a way to win the game and lose the game at the same time.

I vaguely remember this game, but I never knew either of those. I have to ask, how'd they work?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LightWarden posted:

Your Angel Summoner may not be able to summon a horde of celestial super-beings at-will, but you can certainly make one hell of a show at it.

That's pretty good, but now I want to see what kind of amazing wheelies a Pathfinder BMX Bandit can do. :v:

For real though, regarding the last paragraph, the spell does specifically say that it has to be someone you know by name. It has to be a specific NPC, you can't just name a build and choose that even by RAW.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Only if they're an idiot, because there's nothing stopping them sacrificing the Coupon on your turn and asking for a glass of tap water.

R&D's lair would interact with Mindslaver to make you literally control them to make that impossible, I assume. :v:

Edit: Oh, wait, no, you're right. I missed that Mindslaver doesn't take effect until their turn.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Spoilers Below posted:

So, could I grab that giant sized Chaos Orb from Inquest?

Apparently so!

quote:

108.2. When a rule or text on a card refers to a “card,” it means only a Magic card. Most Magic games use only traditional Magic cards, which measure approximately 2.5 inches (6.3 cm) by 3.5 inches (8.8 cm). Certain formats also use nontraditional Magic cards, oversized cards that may have different backs. Tokens aren’t considered cards — even a card that represents a token isn’t considered a card for rules purposes.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Pun-Pun was never meant to actually be done in play, and is a purely theoretical construct from the theoretical charop boards, who did it for fun.

His point is that even theoretically it doesn't actually work, because it ignores some of the setting-based restrictions on the components of the build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Not being able to breathe air under that spell isn't a nerf. It's actually a horrific side effect of aboleth mind control noted as far back as 1999 in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

Also that spell is restricted to a specific race transformed by and enslaved to the aboleth.