Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
So the MTG rules now are pretty . . . graspable. If you know the basics you can figure out most interactions. To cast a spell, you announce it, pay the costs, it goes on the stack. If you have nothing your opponent has a chance to respond, if nothing hey there you go you're a wizard.

But would you like to see how it used to be?

Happy wizarding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's also a Mutant Ninja Turtle, an Anteater Advisor, Caribou Survivor, Starfish Minion, Citizen Sheep, Hippo Incarnation, Coward Pincher Pirate, a Weird Sponge, and a Rebel Squirrel.

E: Also a Germ Ally and a Flagbearer Mongoose and Serf Deserter Badger and an Elder Whale Wall.

He's a Knight Nightstalker, a Worm Wurm, and a Giant Dwarf and a Skeleton Orb as well! Not to mention a Weird Werewolf Wizard, of course. He's simultaneously a Cat Bird Horse as well as a Griffin and a Hippogriff. :allears:

I love the list of creature types.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

So here's something else with that Liquimetal Coating card:

Liquimetal makes things into artifacts, sure. What can we do with artifacts?

Well, Bludgeon Brawl makes non-creature artifacts into Equipment. So you can just pick poo poo up and have your creatures beat things with a Big ol' book, or Walk-in Freezers or Airships. Sure. What else though.

This is Gideon. Gideon can become a creature for a turn and kick rear end on his own. He is kind of a muscle wizard for JUSTICE.

Liquimetal Coating works on planeswalkers, and since they aren't creatures, well.

I'm going to do something very wrong here:

Basically thanks to stupid amounts of mana thanks to what amount to CAGED. MOONS.

I made a bunch of things into equipment that really don't need to be picked up by anything or anyone.

Gideon is wielding, right now, as weapons:
-4 rings
-4 keys
-6 of his planeswalker buddies. (Artifact Planeswalker — Tamiyo Equipment, Tezzeret Equipment, etc.)
-2 moons.
-Pure magical radiation.
-the intangible magic that lets him do this

It results in him being a 53/7 Planeswalker Creature — Gideon Human Soldier.

Had I had more mana I'd have made him start picking up Tundras and poo poo for no tangible benefit whatsoever.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Pretty much, yeah. It's something you CAN do but realistically your opponent is also trying to smash your face in.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

The best R&Ds Lair is to use Enter the Dungeon, which make you start a subgame under the table, with Revelation, which states "Players play with their hands on the table."

AJ_Impy posted:

Been a while since we brought up Magic oddities.

It's worth noting that if there isn't a stated quality, you have to find a target. If you're looking for '3 cards', you need to find them or run out of cards trying. But if you add in a stated quality, how can this be made use of? What benefit is there to not finding what you're looking for?

This card counts as fulfilling the 'stated quality' thing with its 'different names' clause. No matter what cards you have in your deck, you can just say "I can't find any cards in my deck that have different names... except for these two."

Your opponent then has to put the two cards in your graveyard, where you want them.

Note: The most recent oracle update changed the wording on these cards so now it's clear, with the words "up to." Prior to that it was just a rules quirk that you had to know existed.

AJ_Impy posted:

Enter Splinter.

As an aside, if you really want to break the game, you can use Retraced Image with a Splinter token from Splintering Wind in play to put an instant onto the battlefield.

There's a thing in the comp. rules specifically that says if a card would enter the battlefield that isn't a permanent then it doesn't. Prior to this rule, Splintering Wind was errata'd to make "Sprite" tokens, specifically to avoid the Splinter problem.