Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Can I Morph enchant a knife and turn it into an unarmed strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It goes into your hand, so you still have to play it as normal.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Make your tabard be a plant, plants are immune to Disintegrate.

I'd legit like to see a, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Prestige Class based around this. Some kind of druid who grows plants into fake magical weapons or artifacts.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

For that matter, what about "Display Weapon Prowess"?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

Given the fact that all of the CH ones involve time I'm pretty sure its the Chronomancer book and not the complete book of humanoids.

Cheesemaking is chronomancy?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

This reminds me of the Cathay supplement for 7th Sea. Being a point based system invented in the late Nineties, 7th Sea is all about skills and sub-skills. So Attack (Fencing Weapon) lets you shank a guy with epees, sabers, and foils while Attack (Heavy Weapon) lets you ballnock 'em with long swords, axes, hammers, and the like.

Again, point based skill system here, so each supplement adds a bit of a twist. By and large these are necessary additions for a weird cultural thing or an edge case. Harpoons were their own thing, because whaling. Hand axes were added because not all axes are two-hand axes. Cathay's contribution, ignoring it's completely imba martial arts, would be Exotic Thrown Weapon and Exotic Paired Weapon. Paired weapons being any weapon that is traditionally used in pairs... and that's it. Works fine for the Deer Horn Knife (look it up) or the war fan.

But you could be a master of the Jian and Dao swords, Fencing and Heavy respectively, but be completely incompetent with one of these in your hands.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 17, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's fair, though? Hook swords are a completely different thing that have their own weird uses, including being able to hook them up and swing them around.

(I'm assuming hook swords are included in exotic paired or some other category that isn't fencing/heavy.)

Except none of those fancy uses are covered by Attack (Exotic Paired Weapons). There's a separate sub-skill for Parry, and there might be an optional Hook Sword only skill that teaches sweet combat maneuvers. In the example I gave, you wouldn't even be good at swinging the things.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

The trick is figuring out that swordsman schools and fancy tricks are all traps and you should just buy up the basic attack and defense skills along with stats.

Which is really, really disappointing.

I'm not sure if it counts as a Murphy's Rule, but yeah that is kinda lame for an otherwise very cinematic, swashbuckling system. Your number of actions per round is governed by your screen presence even, but that just means you should buy up the Panache Trait as high as it will go. Traits generally max out at 5, but if you take Legendary Trait at chargen, learn and eventually master the French school of insult sworfighting, then you can get Panache up to 7. Who needs dual wielding when you can just fight like a man and a half?

And look good doing it, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Maybe it has especially mundane magic. Like that stone-faced mask in Majora's Mask that made enemies ignore you because you looked like an uninteresting rock.