Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer
Well played.

So now we finally learn the terrible truth: Kid and Dainn are actually the same voice actor. (Along with the Coffin Shop guy and Ennio, what.) I do like that they include the full version of the prophecy at the end. Guess you lost your "shimmering light" there, Sabata.

I'm still glad there weren't really any petrifying-statue puzzles like in the first game. Some of the weirder ones killed my stealth rating on initial playthroughs because you had to literally bait the cockatrices into attacking and I hadn't yet realized there was an in-game way of cheesing them without being spotted.

heroiccreampuff fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how huge the "join" prompt is, even if that's just a natural consequence of the text length.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Update #18: Ringo...Adios!

Last Time, we completed the Spiral Tower. This time, we kill dad.

Let's do it!

Black Dainn

: So it seems Dvalinn could only slow you down... Still, she fulfilled her duty well enough. As we speak, the binding spear is about to be drawn out.

Imagine an earthquake here.

: Heh, heh, heh... Now my destiny as the true Dark Child is fulfilled! Ha, ha, ha...!!

: You... What have you done?!

He just told us. Jeez Sabata, keep up would you?

: It seems I was right to seal away Otenko. San Miguel, the City of the Sun, is no ordinary city. Underneath it lies the ancient Sol City... One of the heavenly cities created by the late Sun Kindred, the Solar Children, fell to the ground. Of course, there was a reason for that.

Oh really? I thought ancient civilizations just dropped their stuff wherever. Y'know, like littering.

: The seal...

: Very perceptive! Yes, Sol City was brought down to the ground in order to seal something away... This something was the Doomsday Beast... Jormungandr! The Ancestor Piece even Immortals fear...

: Ancestor Piece?

: When the Count attacked this city... it was all part of my plan. He was sent to spy on Hel, but then fell in love with her. We didn't expect him to break away from us. Someone like Hel becoming Queen... what a bad joke!

: I mean, she couldn't even dress herself properly! What kind of message does that send about us Immortals?

: “...You said the binding spear? You mean this tower is...[/i]

: Exactly! A giant spear guarded by the four wedges and three bloodlines. The tower is the seal that binds Jormungandr in place. That's what this Spiral Tower is! Heh, heh, heh...

: Wait we pretty much climbed straight up the whole way. Where's the spiral bit come in.

: Hrmph! If this tower's a binding spear, then we can just thrust it back in again! It hasn't been withdrawn all the way yet!

: True, it's not too late. Django, I'll ask you once...

: Thank you.

: Join us! Become our Dark Sun! The world is in the midst of its Doomsday Reincarnation, the recurring cycle of life and death. The unforgiven... hurting others, hurting themselves, hurting the whole world... That pain hurts the stars, the solar system, and the very Galaxy Universe itself. Someone has to stop it. Only the Immortals of the Forces of Darkness can do that... If people reject the eternity of becoming the Undead, they must be sent back to their ancestral origin with or without the dawn of Doomsday... Surely you must understand? Django! Together, let us free this world from the hands of the unforgiven!

: ...Y'done? Cool.

: That was a waste of time! Now let's go, Django! Let's crush this guy and get the tower seal back in place! That's probably what Father wants as well!!

And here's a boss fight.

Also, don't go in empty handed.

Black Dainn Battle

If this seems familiar, it's because it is! For this is a rehash of the Ringo fight!

Basic Mechanics are the exact same: Defend Sabata until his Black Hole starts sucking in Ringo, then knock Ringo into the Black Hole for a beatdown.

He's still got the Dash Claw, but it is faster this time.

He uses five Sealing Swords this time instead of three, and he doesn't wait around before starting another attack anymore.

Weirdly, he's ditched the Solar Gun.

Still goes down the same way though. Just wail on him and-

?

Tsch!...What a bothersome body! It's no use to me anymore!

The power of the true Dark Child! The power of my shadow that even casts all stars into darkness!

WELL.

: And of course that knocks you out.

Now free, Shadow Dainn makes up the second half of this fight. He's lost his absurd defence score, but he's gained a few new moves.

Like this dark matter blast. It's aimed at you, so be sure to dodge in a wide arc. You'll have a second or two to hit him once he stops.

He's also got this homing shot attack (He can also use this while he's still in Ringo's body). You can destroy the orbs (60hp), but their real purpose is to distract you as he chains this into...

Remember the hand thing with Otenko Dainn did back in the Desert Ruins? Well that's an attack now too! Best way to dodge is to keep moving, because he is invulnerable during this attack.

You are invincible to outside attack while grabbed, but he drains your health pretty fast.

Still uses the Dashing Claw, but he's not so tough.

Huh. Neat trick, Ringo.

: I... But I am the true Dark Child... How can this be?

: You still don't know? You're just like me... Just a piece of nothing being used by Dark!

: No... Can't be... Ringo's soul... It should have sunk completely into Darkness... But...

This is voice-acted, Django sounds like a chick.

: Even if the Sun sets... it always rises again!

Back by popular demand!

Dark Boy Sabata

: So the tower, the binding spear, is back to normal. But... what about the Doomsday Beast? We've got to make sure. Django, you purify this guy. And... honor Father with a ceremony, please.

: ...He could at least pretend he was doing something important...

In the chest is the Wheel of Fortune, a random two point boost to any stat.

Black Django: And now to climb back down...somehow.

Dark Tower

So, remember this part of the Dark Tower?

Plunk the coffin down on the switch.

Then light this here.

And puzzle solved!

BUT FIRST!

Head back here and slide across the gap, then go downstairs.

In this room is a property cube. Melt it or push it out of the way.

For some treasure! The left chest contains a Magic Sword (Lv 29, Power 39), the middle is a fake, and the right chest contains scale mail (Durability 30, Weight 25). Now head back through the gate we unlocked upstairs.

Hit the switch and this elevator will drop down half the tower.

Putting you back where Sabata led the ghouls to fall through the floor.

Speaking of falling through floors...

That's a good idea here.

Because you take the coffin with you!

The enemies have been changed around, but they aren't really a challenge at this point, so just drag the thing out to the Pile Driver.

Readying Piledriver

: Taiyooooooooooh!

Battle Drive

Woah, that's new. Nice chokehold Ringo.

As the final Purification, Dainn puts up a fight. He does not stay in the center for long, and takes barely a second to shut down a reflector. As well, his homing shot makes a return to harry you while you're busy.

Battle Drive 2

Still, he's really not that bad. It'll just take a while.

Urrrgh... Ringo...! You're trying to leave me...?! You'd throw away your future?!

: I'm not throwing it away... I'm passing it on! I'm already dead. But even so, my blood and soul will live on in my sons! That's what it means... to live!

Silence

: Noooooo! I shall not disappear! I shall not be shut away in this body! Help me, Django... Join me... as one!

You already tried that.

Reincarnation

: I'm going to live...That's true, isn't it...Father?

: Even if my body were to disappear...

This is also voice acted. It's pretty cool.

: People grow and evolve. That's by no means the path to extinction! Live, Django! Otenko... look after my sons!

: Stop this! ...Ringo!!

Also voice acted, still pretty cool.

: (Goodbye, Father...)

Game: The Solar Gun is left behind...

Adios, Ringo.

: ...Ringo...

Imagine another Earthquake here.

Rain

: The Ancestor Piece, Jormungandr... So that was the true form of the Doomsday Beast... It's called an ancestor 'cause it's the mother of all existence. The seeds of all kinds o' being come from that one seed, y'see. The seeds grow, bear children, and go on evolving, while transcending all time and age. That's the reincarnation cycle of life and death. But them Immortals are like seeds of anti-being, puttin' a stop to life and death... The Forces of Darkness, playin' out eternity in a vacuum of time. But the Ancestor Piece ain't a seed o' being or a seed o' anti-being. It can't be granted life or death. It just exists. Eternity... The absolute existence even the Immortals fear. Yer can't kill somethin' that can never die. That's why it's sealed away. It really is a Doomsday Beast, eh? If that kinda creature woke up, it'd really be the end o' the world for sure. To think that was the Will of the Galaxy Universe...

: Okay, Zazie? Take a deep breath, and then put the dictionary down.

: Django! This is a matter o' life and death! Be serious!

: I am serious. I seriously didn't understand half of whatever you just said!

EARTHQUAKE

Silence

: Is this... Jormungandr?! If it is...? Oh no! If only Master Otenko were here for times like this!

: Yeah, if only we had the yapping sunflower everything would be fine.

: Mow.

: ...Oh come on.

: Yes, that black cat is Otenko.

Master Otenko

: and now the vessel that holds Otenko's soul. -- That's Nero.

: I was wondering why that cat was so dumb.

EARTHQUAKE

: At the moment, his body is ensnared by the Spiral Tower... but that'll change once Jormungandr wakes up... And we can't get to him because the door that leads underground is still sealed. It's protected by a third power following the Sun and Darkness...

: I don't like where this is headed...

: The power of the Moon, the power of the Lunar Child, right?

: Exactly. I don't have that power in me now... But I do know how to summon Otenko's soul sealed inside Nero. I once sealed Otenko into my very own soul, so I know.

: It really is pretty roomy in there. Thinkin about renting it out...

: Ahem.

: If we have to.

: Here it goes!

: Ah! At last... I'm back to my true form...! Thank you, Sabata!

: Yeah, thanks.

: Just didn't want to lose the battle without even putting up a fight.

: I am so cool.

: Hm. I see I don't need to ask whether you're okay, with that kind of comment!

: Master Otenko, What about Jormungandr's seal?!

: You're still here?

: It's okay. I understand the situation. Although I was sealed away, I could still share consciousness with Nero.

Master Otenko: Cat speech is surprisingly easy to learn.

: So, you know what to do?

: The method is simple. Strike Jormungandr's head, deep below the Spiral Tower, and reposition the seal at the same time.

: But the door leading underground!!

: Sabata, that problem has already been solved.

<The screen fades>

Red Ringo

: ...So, even though he'd become a Vampire, he chose to meet his end as a human. Hm... He was definitely one that defied death. Farewell, Ringo! The ultimate Vampire Hunter! My greatest friend! Your blood and soul... lives on in your sons...!

There's another earthquake here.

Silence

: Django... Come to the Spiral Tower as soon as you're ready. This isn't a battle just for San Miguel. The fate of the entire world rests on it. Make sure that you don't have any regrets, all right? May the Sun be with you!

May the Sun be with us, huh? Let's make that literal.

...That doesn't look right.

: Dangit old man.

Well, let's talk to people

Sun Avenue 2

: Master Django! Please let me help you in sealing Jormungandr away! I can't ignore Ringo's dying wish!

: (Lita getting serious... ...let me not imagine it.)

: Do you know about fighting without weapons? When you're not equipped with a weapon and you attack, you'll strike with your bare hands. You can only make short-range attacks with your bare hands, and you can't use Enchantment either. Still, bare hand attacks don't leave you unguarded for enemy attacks. Since both Strength and Skill have a direct impact on the attack power, the more you train, the more powerful the attacks become.

: YOU TOLD ME THIS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME.

: How about we both try for maximum power together?

: Yeah sure. (In another universe, maybe)

: The Solar Tree is just like Solar Fruit. It needs the sun's rays to grow. If you, Solar Boy, are at one with the sun, Master Django, I should think it won't be too long before the Solar Tree is fully grown.

Solar Tree can't be full grown until the postgame.

: Seems like you've got some serious stuff going on... I'm just a shopkeeper here at the item shop. It's not like I own it, dude. There's not much I can do to help ya, my man... But I know what you're up against. Even I can see how tough it's gonna be. So I was thinking... Maybe I could lend you a hand? Items are the way! We've gotta keep at it! That's what it's all about, man!

: The world is literally going to end if I fail, and you're still charging me?

: I have faith in your victory.

: Did you know? When chocolate melts, the item in the row below it gets chocolate-covered. But it'll go back to normal after you've used it once, man. So by getting the chocolate to melt, you can hold two items in one space, dude. Only thing is, you can't see what a chocolate-covered item is underneath until you've used it once, and the chocolate goes away. Guess it's not something for beginners, right dude?

: You can reduce damage if you equip a protector, but if you try and carry one that's too heavy it'll really slow ya down, man. You gotta pick a protector that's right for your Agility, okay?

: WELCOME TO THREE DUNGEONS AGO.

[This is only if you don't go to the Spiral Tower first]

: ...It's nothing to worry about. A bit of rest and he'll be fine again.

: Okay...

<Django enters the Warehouse>

: Sabata's just helped Nero again!

: Funny huh, Django? Gosh, I can't believe I'm helping out other people. Maybe Carmilla's preaching has affected me......But there's nothing wrong with that!

: Nice save, bro.

: ...

: But even if I'm not around, you can still help him. Right?

: ...I guess... I'll... Yes! I'll be the one to look after Nero now!

: That's right. That's your battle! Don't you give in, Violet!

: Yeah! I'll do my best! And you do your best too, Sabata!

: Hrmph! That always goes without saying...

: Which is why Black Dainn knocked you out like a dope.

: ...*teleport*

: Don't worry, Nero... I won't let anything happen to you from now on!

[Talk to Violet having found all Warehouse keys]

: There are 3 Warehouse keys in all. Now you've found all of them!

: ...The Wedge Seal has been broken, and the bond of the Spiral Tower is no more. Yet the Doomsday Beast... might still awaken. I couldn't fulfill my duty as a Guard... ...But even so, there's still hope. And that hope is you! There is no good to be gained from regretting the past. We must think what we can do now so that we can have hope for the future! There is still something we must fulfill! Right, Django?! We're going to make sure that Jormungandr is sealed away again!

: Correction. I'm going to do that. You'll probably just sit here and mope.

: By attacking an enemy monster from behind, you can increase the damage you inflict. But it's not as powerful as an attack that's Enchanted with the monster's weakpoint property. Yes... weakpoint property and back attacks... I guess a combination of the two is the ultimate battle technique.

Welcome to THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME.

: To find out a monster's weakpoint property, watch how it reacts when it suffers an Enchanted attack... If attacked by its weakpoint property, black smoke will come out of its body.

: My life... You saved me, sonny, but......is it over now?

: Even if this is the end, I'm ready. I haven't got any regrets. Livin' life is not about the end...

:unsmith:

: We can't afford to let something like that awaken again. Now listen, Django. I know I've told you before, but... I believe in you. And so does everyone else in this city. So... believe in us too, and strike that Jormungandr right on the head, okay? Don't worry. I know you can do it!

: Are you using Magic cards? Magic cards and Tarot cards all harbor great strength. If you use them right, you can turn a tough jam into an opportunity, you know. But get it wrong, and an opportunity might become a tough jam. Take care!

: Do you know about Skill? Skill is a barometer that measures how much you have mastered a weapon. By SOLARSMITH a weapon, or by using it to defeat enemy monsters, your Skill for that weapon-type will increase. The quality of the weapons you make by forging goes up with your Skill. And with gun-type weapons or your bare hands, the attack power increases with Skill. You can check your Skill level on the status menu on the menu screen.

That's...helpful.

: Of course yer nervous... Yer facin' the Doomsday Beast! But yer not alone, awright! Yer got me and old Smith o' course, and all these folk who've gathered in Sun Avenue to cheer yer on, too. Everyone's gonna give their support for sealin' away that Jormungandr. All 'cause of what yer've done up to now. Yer've touched everyone's hearts. Yer can do it! Everyone believes in yer!

: As it turns out, all this is just like what the old hag's star readin' said... But it can't just end like this. If it did, there'd be no point in the old hag bringin' me to this city. I reckon I'm here to change the future. That's right, ain't it, Django?!

: ...sure.

: Eh, Django... Who's Carmilla? ...Oh, no! I should never o' brought it up! It's a bad habit of star readin', wanting to know about other people's pasts. Still... I'm sure I've heard that name Carmilla before. Yeah, the Cryin' Witch. She was feared and killed for her amazin' power. Magical powers... It's not even like she wanted to have 'em...

: Yeah, she was a pretty rad fight.

: and the animals have finally returned to this place... But is it over... ...this time around?

: Jormungandr, the Doomsday Beast... The Undead and the Immortals are the ones that threaten the cycle of life and death, but Jormungandr also has the power to influence the life of the stars. It's hard to believe there's something so powerful lying dormant in this town... Can the stars not escape the cycle of life and death yet again...?

What are you even talking about.

: So it seems the fate of the world has been placed in your hands, Solar Boy... You can't afford to lose, boy!

: This is the last battle. Prepare your weapons and protectors carefully. Don't forget about items either. You must think long and hard about what you'll need. If you find you're short of items, just pull out of the fight. Don't hesitate. As long as you're alive, you'll always have another shot at it.

: Should I remember to 'save', too? Is there someone I can call for that?

: Dammit boy, get a grip! The fate of the world is at stake!

: Sheesh, fine.

: We can't let Ringo steal all the glory! It'll be the first big job we've had in a while, and we're up for it! You go and give that Jormungandr the good whack on the head he needs!

: Huh? That thing you hold... Is that... the Solar Gun, Gun Del Sol!! So you finally managed to get it back, eh? It's not in good shape though. It's not gonna be much use like that. Let's see if I can fix it for you. They used to call me the Gun Master, see. Probably won't be as good as it was to start with, but I'll get it going again!

Game: You handed over the Broken Solar Gun.

: That should do it!

Game: You got the Solar Gun, Gun Del Sol!!

: It should be usable now, but you can't change lenses, I'm afraid. And the energy efficiency's dropped a bit. I have tried to make up for it though. By holding down on the B Button, you can amplify its power and shoot a high-energy charge. Give it a try.

: It's fifty energy a shot, charged or otherwise. Hope you invested in Spirit, boyo.

: God dammit dad.

: Ringo... How could he pass on from the world and leave me behind, just an old man... What a stupid fool!

It was less 'pass on' and more 'explode violently'.

: [/i]When you're Solar-forgin', the same combination of materials usually leads to the same type of weapon. But on top of that, depending on your luck and skill, you can make rare weapons. They're R-rank weapons, see. Have you already got one, Django?[/i]

And that's everyone. To the Hill of Promises!

Silence

: I'm relying on you, then, Sabata. The moon reflects the light of the Sun. But she's more than just a mirror. Her light bears the affection and lunacy of all things, and directs every power in existence: the Sun and the Darkness, and the four elements of fire, water, wind and earth. The power to direct... That is the power of a Lunar Child. A long time ago, you sealed me away, along with the Spirits of the Ancients, Muspell and Garmr. That was the moon's dark side, the power of lunacy. But now you have rescued me from a prison of shadows. Your power even saved the small life that was turned into a prison. That was the moon's Sun side, the power of affection! Your actions of helping others will lead you on the path to becoming a Moon Beauty! The two sides of the moon, affection and lunacy... Mastering these opposing forces is the way to become a true Moon Beauty![/i]

Moon Beauty Sabata

: We are the Lunar Children, following the line of our mother, and her ancestors. The evil that you sealed away in the past is trying to break free. We wish to lay this evil to rest, just as you did. I ask that you grant us the means to subdue this beast! I am your child, Sabata, the Moon Beauty!

: The Doomsday Beast... Incredible... Just holding the reins on this one is too much pressure...! Django, it's up to you now to strike Jormungandr. It doesn't look like I can leave here any time soon. This is my battle... You have your own battle awaiting you! Now go forth! Solar Boy Django!

: *grumble, grumble*

: Jormungandr's head... We'll be sure to strike it!

Next Time: A Gun-Fighting Gentleman...

Videos:

VS Black Dainn

Vs Black Dainn (Fist)

Black Dainn's Purification

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 9, 2014

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Does he really have to hold the door open for you the entire time?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On the other hand, at least you can finally use your ridiculously huge shoot skill.
Also, you have some broken italic tags toward the end.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

On the other hand, at least you can finally use your ridiculously huge shoot skill.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

(Sabata actually has max skill in guns despite losing to Django in a gunfight)

quote:

Also, you have some broken italic tags toward the end.

and that's what I get for procrastinating.:doh: Thanks for pointing it out though. At least they're fixed now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, on a scale from "never" to "never ever", when is Django going to let Sabata forget he's a Moon Beauty?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update#18-5: The Last Side of Quests.

Before we invade the Undead Zone, there are a few last things to clean up.

: Yeah, the end of the world can wait. It's polite like that.

First, defeating Black Dainn unlocked the Final Catacombs gauntlet.

This one uses what we fought in the Spiral Tower:

Stone Golems (While powered up, and giving out more exp, they still have drop the stuff they had back in the Desert),

Cockatrices (Not powered up, but still drop pretty terrible weapons),

Dark Slimes (Still jerks),

And Green Crows (Still annoying.)

Capping it off is a boss fight more tedious than anything else, really.

As shown here.

However, we also have two new missions to play with.

First up is a sneaking mission in the catacombs, using both Bird and Bone enemies.

Skull suit is a great help in this mission, as it cuts all enemy sightlines in half. Remember, they can see you, they just can't be alerted to you.

The boss fight is only two cockatrices, so they shouldn't trip you up.

Like so.

Our reward...

Is the Hunter's Clothes, which are basically the same as the Thief's clothes, but for rarer items. Nice if you're going for 100%.

The other mission is in the House of Time, the last in Kid's set of Challenges.

You want to memorize exactly what they want here, because the timer for this one is pretty deceptive. Rushing is much better than fighting here.

Or you can just be above level 55 or so and brute force it with the best armor and high attack.

But speed is still important, because this one mission...

Comes with a legit boss fight.

: Glad you made it. I've no interest in Kid's foolish games...But I can't let this opportunity go to waste. The Kid!! I am a warrior...And so I challenge you once more to a fight! Let's go, Solar Boy!

: So, do we stop the clock for this fight? Cause I only have like twenty seconds left and-

: No.

Cheyenne fights the same as he did before, but vastly stronger and with much more health. And thanks to the shrunken arena, he stands a much better chance of killing you this time. Plus, with the timer counting down, you don't have much wiggle room to play it safe.

Still, Cheyenne is Cheyenne, and he'll go down without much fuss if you're quick and or strong.

For this, we get the Training Gear, which increases our exp gain by 1.5 times. Perfect for grinding out levels if you are really terrible.

But, that's all for now.

Next time: Four Dead Lands.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That seems like a really unimpressive reward considering what you had to go through. 1.5x honestly doesn't seem that much. You'd be gimping your defense if you equipped it, right?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

That seems like a really unimpressive reward considering what you had to go through. 1.5x honestly doesn't seem that much. You'd be gimping your defense if you equipped it, right?

Not by much, actually. Training Gear has 25 defense and a fairly low weight versus 40 defense and very high weight for the best stuff we can get right now. While you're right that The 1.5x EXP boost isn't much, it's still quite useful once you run into the astronomical exp requirements of later levels.

Now, the Poison Guard, on the other hand...

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Why would you need to grind so high, though?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

curiousCat posted:

Why would you need to grind so high, though?

:v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I dare you to try out-grinding that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are any of the rare items you can pick up with the Hunter's Clothes actually useful, or is it just a way to get to 100%?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #19: Kings of the Dead.

Well, now that everything else is done, it's time for the Undead Zone.

The very first chest in the dungeon is the map.

: Always a good sign!

Undead Zone 1st Floor

: "What is that I feel...? Is it the Undead? This is the deepest floor of the Spiral Tower, already within the seal. Nothing usually exists in this space... But there's this landform... the Ancestor Piece, Jormungandr. Could its existence be the whole cause of all these Undead phenomena...? You can't afford to be reckless, Django! May the Sun be with you!"

How can this be the deepest floor if there isn't supposed to be a floor in the first place.

Both doors are locked, so West is the way to go.

Get seen, and this door locks for ten seconds. Really more of a nuisance than anything else.

Unable to step over a tiny pit, we must go North.

Here are some Green Crows, hiding on and below the cacti. Wreck their faces and go North again.

These skeletons can also lock the exits, and that archer can see over heights at close range. Evade or kill them and go East.

Here you need to use the switch to set the mummy on fire to light the candle to open the gate. This may take a while if you miss your first chance because the mummy is slow as mud.

More skeleton Fencers and Archers here. Guys below can see you behind the Archer if you aren't careful, and the doors will lock here too.

Which can be bad. Note though, that Fencers and Archers contribute only to the normal Crimson Skeleton, which is never armed. Either way, go South.

It's time for a BLOCK PUZZLE!

: At least there are some Solar Crystals around this time.

Make sure you do this bit first.

Make sure to use the spear, or it will get stuck against the wall.

And head South once you're done. As always, you can leave to reset the puzzle.

In here is an Archer and Fencer. There's no way to avoid them without the solar floors, so kill them and go West.

Here's another room with a gate that locks. Kill the Skeletons and go West.

Oh look, a key right next to the door it fits.

: Let me guess, I blow up if I touch those switches.

: ...In retrospect, I was half-right.

So if you triggered the trap, leave and come back to reset the item, then bat form over the trap and grab the key to unlock the door.

This next room is pretty difficult to sneak by.

Unless you do this. Then it is a great place to grind items off the skeletons.

That first skeleton does not move unless he sees you, but the Skeleton Archer has his own little patrol.

And we're back at the beginning, but...

Sneaky!

Even sneakier, that wall right in front of us is a fake we can blow up.

In that chest lies the Tarot Card of Hope, the Star. This card replaces all your perishable items with new ones.

It is not a very good card.

Back in the elevator room, unlock this door.

These always mean bad things.

ATTACK!

Game: Defeat the Sand Worm!

: If only I'd brought a canteen!

Vs Sand Worm

The Sand Worm has a few tricks. He spends most of his time under the sand.

He chucks rocks at you while moving underground, but he'll always miss if you keep moving.

Eventually he will pop up, but his body parts have astronomical defense and take 1 damage.

Now, his tail pops up to swing at you. It's long enough to hit you anywhere in the room, so hit the tip to knock it out of the attack.

He will then go back underground, but it'll now be leaping around trying to tackle you a bunch. Hit the head during a tackle to stun the beast.

It is Earth element, so go to town on his head with Cloud Magic until he breaks away and the process repeats.

On defeat, it'll try to tackle you one last time, but no one cares.

There are four minibosses in the Undead Zone, and they give out keys and random Tarot Cards, in this case we got the Justice.

Now go back and unlock the other door.

and this is how you head to the next area. This is useful if you need to restock, as getting back to where you were is a breeze.

Undead Zone 2nd Floor

North and West are dead ends, so go East.

Light the four candles in this room to unlock the East gate, but watch out for the pair of Skeleton Fencers.

Bat form has a secret here though.

Nab the Meat, Solar Fruit, and Solar Leaf. Then head out and light all the candles, and go East.

Mouse form gets one secret too.

That thing is a Hot Dog. Like a Bandit, but much stronger and Fire element, and leaves a damaging trail of fire behind it that sets you on fire. Weak to Frost Enchantment, naturally and still drops Meat. The invisible chests up in the corner have Meat and a Blueshroom.

Head back out and go South.

Two Cockatrices here. Kill them all, then head West.

That Cockatrice guards a chest with Meat, while the other one just circles a rock to the South. Head West once you're done here.

This room has two moving candles over a pit. Be quick lighting them with a spear, and take care not to fall in. Some Solar Crystals here if you need energy.

Next room has Cockatrices along the edge, plus solar floors next to an Alarm.

You can drop cockatrices in holes despite them having wings. That done, go North.

: Flying is for the birds, not chickens.

In this room are a load of blocks that actually lag the game. You have to wreck them to pass, but keep two around.

: The blockness of those blocks...it's a perfect, timeless instant...Must destroy!

The Northeast corner block hides a Leys under it. Kill it before shoving blocks into holes.

This gets you a shortcut back to the entrance, along with some Tomato juice.

By the way, blow this wall the hell up.

Our treasure is the Garb of Darkness, Durability 30, Weight 12. Draws out the Power of Night. No idea if it has any effect.

Head North.

That chest has Jerky, and those alarms are no threat at all.

Skeleton Archers and Fencers on the various levels, kill them and go East.

Here the South exit is locked, so climb the stairs and prepare for the next miniboss.

ATTACK!

Game: Defeat the Lich!

: It took this long for wizard skeletons?

Vs Lich

The Lich has a few tricks. His first attack shoots balls of lightning at you. They are not very strong, but they do have pretty good homing and explode on impact.

I'm not actually sure why it is dark in here, because Lich isn't fast enough to make use of it, nor does he teleport, and there are no holes to fall in like an idiot.

: I can only trust a hole with my life if it is wheelchair accessible.

The Lich can also summon skeletons. His summons are only as strong as unarmed fencers, and can be killed without enchantment magic.

Later on, he will summon clouds that chase you, stop, then drop lightning on your head. Dangerous, but keep moving and you will be fine, as the small area of effect when it strikes won't overcome speed.

: Sometimes I feel like the atmosphere is a little too charged in these places.

We got The Emperor this time. Now head back to the previous room and go South.

Push this box in for a shortcut back, then take the elevator down.

Undead Zone 3rd Floor

: So this is what they mean by the cold touch of death!

Now it is time for the worst floor, the Ice floor. Head West first.

and hit this lever to unlock a door. Head back to the elevator and then South.

Elefan does not have traction on ice like the centipede, but is cute enough to make up for it. Knockback slides you around though.

: Wheeeeeeeee

The South exit leads nowhere for now, so take the West exit.

Run West, avoiding/killing the Leys and the Skeleton Fencer

Hit this to unlock the next door, then go North for a moment.

There's some Healer in this chest.

Turn around and head back to the first ice floor, but take the South exit this time.

Using the ice block the switch spawned, slide around to the stairs, killing the centipede if you desire. Also, Bat form somehow slides despite flying.

: wheeeeeee

Here you head West, as the ice floor below is a trap with nothing on it but enemies.

You need to use the Solar Gun here to hit the switch, then head through the North door.

This switch creates another ice block in the final ice area.

Grab the Speed Nut here, then drop down and head East.

The Octopus monsters have toughened up, but still work the same. However, they also gain a new wrinkle thanks to the enemies they're teamed with.

Since Octopus grab anything that comes close, the Stone Golems just get murdered by it. However, you don't get anything for it.

South is where we want to go, but the East exit leads back to the elevator. No shortcut to create though, due to how compact this place is.

The final switch unlocks a gate at the South side of the room. Now head back to the octopi and go East.

Back in the elevator room, we can sidle across the gap for another Speed Nut.

Now head back to the South half of the central room.

Now take this South staircase instead of the West exit, and go South.

Healing the two plants to the West gets you two chests with Meat inside. Then head to the Southeast.

get all the energy, because this is gonna be very difficult.

I hate this boss so much.

ATTACK!

Game: Defeat the Serpent!

: Water. Why'd it have to be water?

Vs Serpent

The serpent is a complete and total pain. First, you can fall in the water for an instant death. This is in addition to the fact that nearly all his attacks are powerful, and have some serious knockback. Buying the best armor possible is a really good idea here, because time spent dodging is time spent not killing him.

The Serpent also swims far out of reach for half the fight, underwater just so you don't get any ideas with the Spear or Solar Gun. And when he pops out, he is out of reach, leaving only his super armored segments to hit for no damage.

His first attack vomits bubbles everywhere, dealing middlin damage, big bubbles also pop into smaller bubbles. This is easy to dodge if you hide behind the serpent or far away. It is possible to get one hit in when he pulls back into the water.

His second attack has him leaping out of the water to random locations. Height is weird here, so he'll pretty much always hit you if he goes on top of you. This is the one of the only times to deal damage to him, as he can be hit at his head for full damage, or his tail for half.

His third attack just involves him touching the sides of the platform while swimming at high speed. This cannot hit you unless you are right on the edge, and most of the time he's off in the distance anyway.

Just like the sandworm, he'll fling himself up into sight before dying.

We got The Hanged Man, which is how I feel now.

This elevator leads you back to the second Ice Floor room. From there, head back to the main elevator.

Unlock this door for the next elevator.

Undead Zone 4

: Ooh, it's getting hot in here!

Here is where you will first see Hot Dogs, if you missed the secret back on floor two. The North exit is locked, so head East.

Here is kind of a complicated block puzzle, and it is, regrettably, a little bit glitchy.

Mostly because of that ice block.

To solve the puzzle, shove this rock down here first.

then push the Property Cube on top of it.

Sword the Cube forward one space, then hit it with a Fire Enchantment.

Then strike it with the Cloud-Enchanted spear, and the ice block should melt. If you are very unlucky and it does not, redo the puzzle until it does. Once the ice is gone, destroy the rock block beneath you, then shove the iron block out of the way.

Then just knock the Property Cube onto the switch and freeze it, then head through the now unlocked North exit in the previous room.

Here are Flame jets and Stone Golems. The Golems are unharmed by fire, unlike you. Also, touching the lava only deals ten damage, unlike the DEATH water. Deal with this stuff however you like, then go East.

: Lava is really just slightly gooey floor, y'know.

This room is filled with Burnun and more Stone Golems. The South exit is locked, so just defeat/avoid them and head East.

For this puzzle, you have to get on the platform, then use a Frost Enchanted spear to destroy the fireballs in front of the switch. Then, you must equip the Solar Gun and shoot the switch to unlock the gate in the previous room.

There are loads of Solar Crystals here, break em all and head upstairs and East.

Heal the plant for Meat and a Solar Leaf, then head East.

: I just realized I never fought a Flame Immortal. Now I feel cheated.

Then blow up this wall.

To get the Parade Armor, with a Durability of 32 and a Weight of 28. It has the special effect of increasing the chance of meeting Crimson Monsters to something like 1/20 rather than 1/100.

Treasure gotten, head back and take the stairs for the upper exit, then take the South exit in the next room.

Some Burnun here, kill them and head East.

Here you have to ride a rock platform over lava. You can't fall off, but touching the sides deals ten damage.

Switch platforms here, with optional Meat on the East platform, and a Solar Nut on the West side. Then just ride it to the end, and head West.

There are more Stone Golems in here, so kill them and head West.

It's final miniboss time.

: I'm guessing Lion.

ATTACK!

Game: Defeat the Lich+!

: Plus what? Are we seriously reusing bosses in the same dungeon?!

Vs Lich+

The Lich+ is pretty tough. He deals high damage, and has a lot of health, which takes a while to chew through even using Frost enchantment.

His first move creates firebars that rotate around him at a decent speed. There is a blindspot right behind him, but it is really small.

His second attack is to chuck exploding fireballs at you, often while the firebars are still on. These can hit practically anywhere, including behind him. Dodge these by running around. The Fireballs have a decent explosion radius, so be careful.

He also has a second firebar pattern, where they move in opposite directions at different speeds.

His third move creates fire pillars under your feet. This deals good damage, and operates through his other attacks. So you can't simply stand behind him and whale on him.

At half health, the fire pillars turn on for good, and he gains another attack.

Now the FIRE DRAGON!!! is summoned, and it tries to tackle you, jumping all over the place and spitting two kinds of fire everywhere, high damage orange fire and normal red fire that stays like the Hot Dogs. It also turns the gamma up.

The FIRE DRAGON!! leaps around for a while, but it will eventually jump in the air, stop moving, and then explode, spitting fireballs everywhere and covering a lot of floor in fire. The Lich+ will not hesitate to summon another one, so take this time to beat him up, and he'll eventually go down.

No key this time, but we got another Hanged Man.

: For a skeleton, that wizard was surprisingly hotheaded.

Heal that plant for the final shortcut, and take the elevator.

Undead Zone Final Floor

Woah.

: "This is the very bottom... So much disease in the air. The Undead influence has spread fast... If something is not done... The Spiral Tower won't stay a binding spear for much longer! Let's hurry, Django! But be careful! This diseased air... From here on out, you won't be able to retreat or save! You'd better save right now, okay?"

: ...This is the source of all life? Really?

Next Time: The Beast That Would Not Die.

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 9, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why did they make the water instant death? Can't they just warp you back to the island with a 10 HP hit?

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
They could have, but probably someone pointed out that either he's weak enough against water the rain hurts him one way or another in both forms, or that the thing would just eat him if he fell in.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Only Black Django is hurt by rain. But yeah, getting eaten by the Serpent is more probable.

Heavy Sigh posted:

: I just realized I never fought a Flame Immortal. Now I feel cheated.

Muspell from the first game would like a word with you. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Too much rain in solar boy form will temporarily lock you out of charging from sunlight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That fire mage fight looked pretty harrowing, trying to navigate through four attacks at once to land a shot. Very bullet-hell.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #20: The Beast That Would Not Die

Undead Zone Final Floor

It's endgame time, folks.

The instant you cross this line, you cannot leave, so whatever grinding you want to do, do it now.

Townsfolk 2

Now that we've crossed that line, we cannot go back.

We gotta keep going down stairs, past all these enemies.

We can fight them, but it isn't really worth it, unless you are severely underleveled.

There's only one enemy on each of these islands, unless you cause an alert.

But this place is really empty.

Townsfolk 2

: Those born into Darkness...I bid you, return quietly to your graves!

: You're amazing! Master!!

: It's not over yet! Stay alert, Lita!

: Now it's my turn...!

: Out of the way, small fry!

: HIYAH!

: (Dear me...Maybe I trained her a bit too hard...?)

: Man, it's like this place is too dead even for zombies.

Hooray for easily defeated enemies!

Going down is like the only option.

There aren't even many enemies at this point. Half the rooms are completely empty.

Townsfolk 2

: Ch...Cheyenne!

: I told you not to follow me......Oh well, a bit of excitement every now and then can't hurt. Kid!! Prepare some Healer!

: NOT THE HAIR! NOT THE HAAIIRR!!

: I feel reeeeal happy now.

Honestly at this point you could just run past everything.

Even if you get seen, it's really easy to hide or even just rush past.

Which is fine, cause we are pretty much at the end.

Still not sure why they had so many empty rooms.

This is a death pit if you do not have sunlight.

: This is it...The tip of the tower. Jormungandr's head will be up ahead...

: Speaking of, how is this sealing thing supposed to work anyway?

: You can't defeat Jormungandr, the Eternal Ancestor Piece. But if you can inflict enough damage on its head to make it unconscious, you just might have enough of a window to seal it away again! Everything rests on this battle! Go for it, Solar Boy Django!

: So we have no plan beyond 'hit it a bunch'.

: Did you ever need another one?

: May the Sun be with you!

Jormungandr

: This is the Ancestor Piece, Jormungandr!

: YOU DON'T SAY.

: :black101:

Master : Maybe the Ancestor Piece possesses no reason...Maybe all there is to it is a greedy instinct to swallow everything up! Let's do it, Django! Strike it on the head! I'll relay the Sun's rays from here above the ground!

Wait what does that even mean

WHATEVER LETS DO THIS THING.

PUNCH THE SNAKE

Jormungandr's most common attack is to eat you. Mash buttons to escape while he drains your health.

He will either thrust once, or three times in a row. Keep to the far edge and dash back and forth to dodge it.

You need at least one bar of sunlight to damage Jormungandr at all. This has the side effect of making him look goofy as hell.

If he's not thrusting, he'll form skeleton arms to chuck things at you.

Thrown axes curve around the outside of the arena

If you get too close, a large tentacle will appear on the side closest to you and swipe the area in front of him. This deals significant damage and is almost too fast to dodge.

: :sweep:

However, if you strike the side of his head enough times, you'll take out the eyes on one side and stun him. If you destroy the other side while he's stunned...

...His tongue will loll out, allowing you to deal extra damage. Sol Enchantment deals more damage, but not much more. However, you only get five hits before he draws back again.

Swords fly straight at you, in contrast to axes.

However, once you take off 25% of his health, he gets a new attack.

: :barf:

He'll start vomiting poison gas that drains your health incredibly fast. Run back and forth to avoid, as he will slide back and forth to follow you.

He will also start shooting homing elemental shots at you. They vary in power, with Dark being strongest, ice weaker but freezing you, and earth poisoning you.

At half health, he gains another trick.

He'll smash the ground with a hammer. It does little damage if it actually hits you, but it is really meant to stun you, and he will then try to eat you. Only if you are at a good distance can you dodge in time, but bat form will allow you to dodge the stun effect.

At a quarter health, he gains three more elements: Light shot, which is really weak, Fire shot, which inflicts the burning status, and Cloud shot, which petrifies.

\
but if you hit him enough, he goes down.

: :gibs:

Jormungandr

: Django!!

: :munch:

: Mow.

: Master Django!!

: Django...?

: Oh come on...

: Django!! We didn't make it in time...?!

: You had one job! One!

: It ain't over yet!

Townsfolk 2

: You mustn't give up! It's when you're in a pinch that you have to seize an opportunity for victory!

: though I am still not sure why we sealed vampires within the same seals.

: Forget about it!

: You must believe in yourself! Your Sun... hasn't set yet!!

: Us guys... We ain't given up yet, man!

: I mean, I kept my do, so you can at least seal that big monster up!

: You're actually thinkin' of leavin' me behind?! Ringo entrusted something of great importance to you... The Sun... It's time you remembered what it represents!

: Django! Hear all our words! Take strength in 'em! Now's yer chance!

: This is it...!! Now's our chance, Django! Grab the Sun in your hands!

: ...:sun:

: :toot:

:Tai...yoh...

: :confutoot:

:Taiyoh...

: :raise:

:Taiyoh!

: :gonk:

:TAIYOH!

: :supaburn:

Town: TAIYOOOOOOOH!

Zoktai

And there you have it! Game's over, time for the credits!

Surprisingly, we get credits for the English voice actors.

I have no idea if these people kept doing stuff after this.

Good job on Sabata's one word lines lady.

You had a voice?

You did a pretty good job for all your three lines, lady.

Fitting those two were done by the same guy.

You couldn't have had more than two lines.

I always knew Kid was a bad guy.

And then we get to the staff.

Cue a bunch of hardworking people no one will ever know.

And, in true Kojima style...

Evening Sun

We get a cutscene after the credits.

: That day, the Black Shadow that stopped Jormungandr in its tracks...Was that father? Or...

: Yer think it was the Black Dainn?

: I don't know... But when the light is strong the shadows thrown out become a deeper Darkness. The dark is scary... But around dusk, I always think the same thing... It's those dark shadows that allow the world to be so...

: That kinda stuff... ...you may be right about.

: Cause I sure as hell don't get it.

Whoever shows up with Django here is actually somewhat random.

: That day, the Black Shadow that stopped Jormungandr in its tracks...Was that father? Or...

: ?

: When the light is strong... the shadows thrown out become a deeper Darkness. The dark is scary... But around dusk, I always think the same thing... It's those dark shadows that allow the world to be so...

: That's... pretty! <music note>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Him, huh...?!

: I don't know... But when the light is strong the shadows thrown out become a deeper Darkness. The dark is scary... But around dusk, I always think the same thing... It's those dark shadows that allow the world to be so...

: Hmph... You really are just too naive sometimes, you know...

: That day, the Black Shadow that stopped Jormungandr in its tracks... Was that father? Or...

: The infamous... Shadow Immortal?

: Beautiful... I reckon. You're a bit of a poet, aren't you, Django?

: That day, the Black Shadow that stopped Jormungandr in its tracks... Was that father? Or...

: The Black Dainn?

: How... beautiful.

And then we get our info, with what we used, and the money we made.

and a password for a bunch of stuff on the defunct Konami webpage. Which were wallpapers.

Thanks for reading everybody!

See you all next time!

WHAT

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 9, 2014

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, the final boss of the game looks awesome, if a little goofy with the skeleton arms.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

A pet?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Oh dear.

We have to fight HIM, won't we?
The annoying fucker who runs away and never stops going "wheeeeeeeeee!"

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer
I really love the design for Jormungandr, possibly because it's just so crazy. Pink and covered in eyeballs? Sure. Giant skeleton arms out of no where? Why not, better have those giant possessed weapons to boot! Maybe throw in some weird little wing-thingies that serve no apparent purpose. And the crown of it all: those lovely, lovely teeth. Personally I liked fighting him with a gun and hammer the best, despite those being the two weapons I used the least during the rest of the game.

And oh, the postgame. That's a thing.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

No a PET. A very different thing.

Whenever Jormungandr did used his shot attack, I just ran as close to his face as I could and hit him until it was over. Since the shots curve, standing right in front of him allows you to avoid most of the shots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Seems like your music links have been removed by the uploader. Don't know about the other voice actors, but Donna Burke (Lady/Dvalinn) was a name I definitely recognised, she sung the title theme for MGS Peace Walker and MGS5 and was in a few other Konami games, including playing Hel in the first Boktai. She's also had a fairly prolific music career, and apparently runs a company that exports Japanese heat pads.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So apparently you can just stop being a vampire with enough shouting and hotblood? Or has Django still got those powers?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Django keeps the power of Darkness, even in the next game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iceclaw posted:

The DS Lunar Knights games splits him into two people.

e:on recollection the two PCs are supposed to be django/sabata analogues. not django/black django.

Though as it goes it's pretty separated from the GBA Djangos. Only very casual/cameo-like links exist

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 4, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

There's a third Boktai game, though it's Japan only. It features our cast as we know them. Lunar Knight is the fourth game in the serie.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Iceclaw posted:

There's a third Boktai game, though it's Japan only. It features our cast as we know them. Lunar Knight is the fourth game in the serie.

Japan only, but there is a fan-translation so it's totally experience-able.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

TheGreatGuy posted:

Japan only, but there is a fan-translation so it's totally experience-able.

Oh, did that get finished? I saw the project some years ago, but it was maybe halfway done, and I think they were having issues with the menu or something? I'd forgotten about that until now, I'll have to check it out again. Thanks!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Iceclaw posted:

More accurately, they tried to get rid of it, but it seems half-vampirism isn't quite that easy to remove so it comes back stronger than ever when Django technically dies at the start of the game. To balance it out, he also gets a super-sun mode as well. That showed up in the fifth Battle Network game.

Since they decided not to import the game, they decided to scrub every Boktai reference from Lunar Knights (and from BN6, which resulted in them gutting a good portion of the game for no real reason) in hopes of making it sell better. It didn't work, so this series is basically dead.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 5, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #21: Shades of the Bat

We beat the game last time, so lets load our clear save, now noted with a star.

And loading the clear save starts us back here, before we defeated Jormungandr.

Plus we got this neat thing! Unfortunately it does nothing, so lets go back outside and talk to people.

: I don't believe it... Me... A Moon Beauty... This is like my worst nightmare. Surely I shouldn't have affection in me? But if I do then it must be from Carmilla... Her soul that lies within me alongside the Dark Matter. It's her soul that's turning me into a Moon Beauty... The Crying Witch I killed, Carmilla... If only... I wish I could give back human life and death to her....An impossible dream. And yet, I...

: :smith:

: We lost our mother, defeated our father... And yet... We must go on. There's no victory in our fight. Which is all the more reason that we mustn't lose. Keep up the good fight... That's the only sure way to resist the evil plots of Dark!! Right, The Kid?

: rah rah fight the power!

: The Kid, while you're underground, the sunflowers will prepare for the sealing. You should just concentrate all your efforts on hitting Jormungandr's head, okay?

: Are you ready?

: nope.

: The Kid, Ringo's entrusted everything to you as he died, so for all our sakes... you cannot absolutely cannot lose this fight!

: Yeah no.

: The Will of the Galaxy Universe, Dark... This doesn't just stop at the Undeadening of all life forms... It also plans to take back all species to nil with the Ancestor Piece. If we don't do something, this whole star is going to get swallowed up. That's how much it wishes to stop the evolution of species... of the Solar System...

: Man, existence is a self-hating mess.

City of Death

Let's go back to town. Surely we must be able to buy new-

PET: You've got mail!

: I've got what?

: THERE IS A MAN TRAPPED IN THIS TINY BOX.

Blue One: Can you hear me? ...an? Huh? Lan... Isn't it you...Lan? You're... I don't believe it! Do you remember me?

: Ummm...

: I'm Lan's NetNavi, MegaMan!

: Oh right yeah I totally know you!

: The Kid! Never thought I'd see you again!

: But what are you doing with this PET...?

Fade to Black...

: The Kid, I was chasing after the Dark NetNavi, ShadeMan, when I found myself in this Undernet Warphole. And I ended up here in this Doomsday World... The Kid, maybe you could help me find ShadeMan? If I can find him, I should be able to figure a way home, back to Lan.

: Thanks a lot, The Kid!! ShadeMan's dark power, DarkSoul... I'm picking up a signal from it in the tower to the north of the city. Let's head for it!

WELP, time to go straight back to the tower!

: The Kid, DarkSoul's signal's coming from the top of this tower!

Well lets climb up and-

Dark Clouds

: He he hee... How soon my presence has been discovered... You're pretty sharp, Solar Boy The Kid...

: Shademan!

: Well, well! I wondered who it was...Who'd have thought you'd follow me all this way! I may have been defeated by you pests before, but soon I will gain the true power of Darkness from this Doomsday world! And then... He he he hee!

: We're not going to let you get away with this!

: He he! You never change! I respect that determination of yours, you know. So I'll give you a hint. The key to opening that door... lies with my underlings... the four ShadeBats. They're gathering the power of Darkness for me in the four corners of San Miguel. I wonder if you can manage to find them?! He he hee!

: The Kid! We must find those four ShadeBats fast! But what could he have meant by the four corners of the city? Have any ideas?

Hmm...

HMM...

HMM...

: ...I dunno Megaman.

: They're in the Immortal dungeons you idiots!

: Thanks bro!

You can do the four ShadeBats in any order you like, HOWEVER...

This also means that all the dungeons are filled with endgame enemies with jacked up stats.

Third floor, where you stuck in the green jewel is the first bat. Shadebats are different colors with dark matter orbs flowing around them

: Key Data... The 4 clusters of data that the 4 bats hold form the key to opening the door... There are 3 more clusters of data to find. Where are the other ShadeBats...?

Off to the Aqueduct...

And next to Dvalinn's room...

Game: You got Key Data 2!

: Now you've got two clusters of Key Data! There are another two left to find. Good luck, The Kid!

Now for the Remains.

Remember this optional block puzzle IN THE NORTH SECOND FLOOR?

Well you gotta do it again!

The ShadeBats sadly only drop normal bat items.

: That makes 3! Now there's just 1 more cluster of data to find. Almost there, The Kid!

Difficult to find this one.

How sneaky.

Game: You got Key Data 4!

: You did it, The Kid! Now you've got all the data. Time to find ShadeMan in the northern Tower!

Back to the Hill of Promises...

: What are you up to? Get a move on and delete that ShadeMan program, now! In the meantime, you can leave Jormungandr to me!

: jeez, fine. Just wanted to see how you were...

: Hmph. At a time like this, who needs to be worrying about other people. You two are just like him... Why am I always surrounded by such fools...?!

: Grumble grumble...

: What is it, The Kid? Hm? That machine...

: Are you... Master Otenko?!

Fade to Black...

: Ah, that's right... The Kid, you must work with MegaMan to put a stop to ShadeMan's evil ambitions. Sabata and I will keep an eye on Jormungandr. It's quiet at the moment, but we mustn't let our guard down.

: Thank you, Master Otenko!

: Yeah, thank him...

: MegaMan, the worlds we live in are different, but together we must fight the Darkness. Tell us any time if you ever need anything. We're always here to help!

: Like with ShadeMan?

: ShadeMan... A Darkloid, a man-made program that employs the power of darkness. But how could it be here in this Doomsday world... And how can a program with no physical form function in our world? ...There's something behind all of this...

Well let's find out.

: Now we'll be able to climb the tower, but... Why would ShadeMan have told us about the key like that? It could be a trap... We must be careful, The Kid!

Tougher enemies, but none of the puzzles have reset.

Thankfully though you don't get shoved into the boss room if you get too close.

Dark Clouds

: Hee hee hee. I've been waiting for you, Solar Boy.

: ShadeMan! You can't get away now! You must return quietly to our world!

: He he hee... Of course I'll return. Thanks to that man, my ambitions in this world have now been fulfilled!

: What do you mean?

: You don't know? He he he he he! Even in this Doomsday world, you're just a NetNavi in a PET. But I... Yes... thanks to Dark Matter, I have gained physical form!

: That's impossible...!!

: He he hee... First I'll have myself a nice snack... My first meal in the real world... You'll do just fine, Solar Boy The Kid! He he heeeee!!!

BATTLE FLASH.

Shademan.EXE

: The Kid! ShadeMan is shielded by the power of Darkness. First, break down his defense using the very same power!

Here we go!

Vs Shademan.EXE!

He flies around a lot like Black Dainn did, but is much more willing to go out of reach.

He also shoots bats you can block with your attacks.

if you try hitting him without dark enchantment, he'll just turn black and vanish, then hit you from behind.

He will also attempt to charge you like Dainn did.

He also has ring turrets that shoot more and faster the less health he has. If you get hit, it'll stun you for a bit and deal a good chunk of damage.

He can also summon a ton of bats to fire at you machinegun style. You can still block these, but it's not fast enough. Better to just run from corner to corner.

Also, hitting him five times in a row will always make him teleport away.

: You!! How did you...? Solar Boy using the power of darkness...?! Even with no defenses, the power of darkness, Dark Matter, still dominates! You'll soon regret getting on my wrong side!

Shademan.EXE Struggle

: Now, The Kid! Burn ShadeMan's Dark Matter with the power of the sun!

He can also grab you and drain your life if his charge hits you dead on. It's weak though, so good armor can effectively neuter it.

If he glows red before dashing, he'll go nuts and dash all over the place, but will lose the ability to grab you.

Still, the only tough bit is knocking off his armor first.

: Let's go, The Kid, time to purify ShadeMan using the Pile Driver!

Do the exact same thing you did with Dainn, but without the puzzle solving.

Let's do this.

Readying Piledriver

We'll even give him a handicap.

FIGHT!

Battle Drive

Shademan is the fastest, hardest purification in the game.

He takes barely a second to shut down any of the Magic Machines, and is barely stunned by Enchantment Magic.

His Dark matter attack, Sonar Shot, has a huge hitbox, and stuns you for a second. He also fires off a lot of it, so he can chain-stun you while he shuts down the machines.

Like here. It isn't very strong though, so don't worry about it killing you.

Battle Drive 2

Struggle time has him shooting and moving even faster, but you've got it in the bag at this point.

: Gwaaaaargh!! If you think you can strike me down with this...You're making a big mistake!

Battle Drive 2

: The Kid! Gosh, at times like these... I can't help but feel completely powerless!

: MWAHA! NOW MASTER REGAL WILL NEVER BE STOPPED!

: ...I don't know who that is, but he can't be good news.

: Right Megaman?

: What's this?!

BEST ATTACK IS ONLY ATTACK

: What?!

: Now, The Kid!

: Taiyoh!

: Gwooooorgh!! Once more... I...! ...Don't think... ...that I will disappear... ...in THIS world! And again... back... ...to the... ...the Cyberworld...!

Seeya, dork.

Townsfolk 2

: Right, I'll be going then. I should be able to get back to the Cyberworld using the warp hole ShadeMan made. I'm a bit worried about what's become of him now though...

: Don't worry about it! It doesn't matter how many times he springs to life... We're all here in this world and you and Lan are there in your world to stop him. He doesn't stand a chance!

: Yeah! You're right! Okay then, see you later... Sometime, someplace!!

: The Sun will rise tomorrow! See you again soon, MegaMan! Say hi to Lan for me!

The right chest has a photo of Megaman, but the left...

: Wow...this is...Thank you Megaman!

: I always wanted a spare arm!

The Megabuster, 'Certificate of Friendship', is the third and final gun of the game. It has no element, respectably high power, no charge shot, and costs only twenty energy to the Solar Gun's fifty. However, it has a special effect where the less health you have, the less damage it does, the reverse of the heart emblem. However, this also means that increasing your vitality also increases damage.

Not a bad deal. So now, we can go check out some other stuff and-

???: MegaMan...? An unexpected hindrance to my plans. But... I certainly had some fun, Solar Boy The Kid. That's what makes me such a good rival! I'd planned to use ShadeMan to get myself a new physical form... But now I know I should wait for a full resurrection of my own! Heh, heh, heh... Hm, ha, ha, haaah!!

Welp, that's not ominous at all!

NOW, there's still some things left to do.

BECAUSE This door opposite the Ruins IN THE SOUTH is finally open! And inside?

The Battle Arena! HERE WE CAN BATTLE THE STRONGEST OPPONENTS KNOWN TO MAN!

OR

Next to the Hill of Promises, is this switch. If you shoot it...

This gate opens. And behind it...

IS ONE MORE DUNGEON.

Which just so happens to be...

...the infinite expanse of Dream Avenue.

Now then, it's time for a VOTE!

Which do we tackle first? Dream Avenue or the Battle Arena?

Bold your votes!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OH gently caress IT WAS HIM!

:sigh:

So.

This is Shademan from the much-maligned Megaman Battle Network 4 and the pretty alright BN5(where he thankfully had a much more minor role as a midboss).

BN4 was basically built on trading and multiplayer. In addition to the Django events (which were literally the best part of the game), the game had codes for Battlechip Challenge (literally the worst thing to come out of the BN series) and I think unlocked features for Megaman Zero 3.
To say that the game was bad, was an understatement.
It had an infamously awful translation ("she's such a nice young man" is seared into my memory), infamously awful mechanics (Darkchips! Use them and you lose 1 HP permanently! You can use Darksoul chips though! Except they are pretty bad! And you can't use the chips on the final boss, and he's kind of a bitch so good luck!) and an infamously awful story (there's a reason we have :moreevil:)

Shademan was arguably the worst part about it. He is basically a super-competent boss because The Plot Says So. He always runs away, wins fights because of dumb mechanics preventing your victory and has an annoying shtick when he talks (Why yes, I do hate DarkPhantom for much the same reasons IT'S ALMOST LIKE CAPCOM LEARNED NOTHING! But that never happens, does it?)
On the other hand, the Boktai chips were wonderful. They powered up if Lan was in an outdoor area (easy to do) and did fast, constant, invincibility frame-ignoring and aura-ignoring damage. Especially GunDelSolEX. That thing covers 2/3 of the enemy's field (all of it if you AreaGrab once) and does even more damage. There was a Piledriver PA to, which was okay, I guess.
Shademan's theme in this game uses the same tune as BN4's opening theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tk2tMO0vfI

BN5 also had some Django stuff. He had his on chip series, where he appeared, put the enemy across from you into a coffin and then did hurt it a whole bunch with rotating lights. It was pretty cool, actually. The game still had the GunDelSol cards, I think EX was gone though.
There was also a DjangoCross, yellow solar armor for Megaman. I forget what it does, and only remember that getting it was ridiculously arcane.

Oh right. Battle Arena
I don't feel like being mean today.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I'll side with SSNeo and say that Battle Arena should go first.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

This game links up with BN5, where you both fight Shademan, and you get bonus stuff based on the other game. In BN5 you get points you can trade in the solar trader for boktai chips, and in this game, you have the chance of winning armor based on characters from the BN games (it doesn't change your appearance aside from color, though).

At least, I think that's what you get. It has been so long since I did this that I don't remember.

Also, battle arena. For practice for Dream avenue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dream Avenue. You can relax with the arena afterwards, heheh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

BlazeEmblem posted:

This game links up with BN5, where you both fight Shademan, and you get bonus stuff based on the other game. In BN5 you get points you can trade in the solar trader for boktai chips, and in this game, you have the chance of winning armor based on characters from the BN games (it doesn't change your appearance aside from color, though).

At least, I think that's what you get. It has been so long since I did this that I don't remember.

Also, battle arena. For practice for Dream avenue.

That's pretty much what you get, but it isn't just appearances.

Rewards were as follows:

Armor Name: Mega Power
Description: MegaMan power.
Durability: 25
Weight: 30
Specialty: Enables charging of MegaBuster.
Price: 1500 SOLL
Acquired: Dummy
Notes:

Armor Name: Guts Power
Description: GutsMan power.
Durability: 30
Weight: 40
Specialty: Reduces sustained damage by half.
Notes:

Armor Name: Proto Power
Description: ProtoMan power.
Durability: 25
Weight: 20
Specialty: Speed up attacks.
Notes:

Armor Name: Toad Power
Description: ToadMan power.
Durability: 20
Weight: 20
Specialty: Energy can be restored in the rain.

It was too bad you could never get them.

• Locked thread