Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Primo Itch posted:

I might be looking in the near future for an dSLR with this requirements:

Used
Good ISO performance (for shooting in low light situations, such as clubs, etc)
APS-c
Decent viewfinder
Price range around 800-1000USD for the body

I don't care about video, buffer or super fast AF (honestly i'm used with manual all the time, so it's still going to be faster overall)

I'm also not really invested in any digital system (I only have legacy glass, yashica and adapted medium and large format lenses). I would like to use those from time to time, but it's not a priority.

It's my understanding that I should be looking at nikon, as canon stalled in high iso performance right? Being rugged is a bonus as I tend to not be the most careful person with my gear. Small size is also a bonus.

I'm thinking about maybe a slightly used D7100. I can find D7000 for good prices also. Is there much difference between them? Would I maybe be better served by something older and pro-ish maybe?

The alternative is to look at a Fuji XE2. Will be able to use legacy glass with adapters. The EVF is a dream for manual glass vs a optical vf. Great ISO good to great af if you buy any of the fuji glass. It's apsc and very compact. Has a good manual focus peek that you can zoom in at 10x to confirm you have things you want in focus. Falls in your price range as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Another good option would be a Sony a77. More whistles and bells than the X-E2 and the focus peaking is better, but the JPEGs are worse and Fuji does a much better job of supporting older products with firmware updates.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's also considerably larger and more expensive, being a high end DSLR.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nah, it's discontinued, you should be able to find one for less than $800.

Regarding ISO - it's a 24mp sensor, downsize to a 16mp image if higher-ISO images are too grainy for you. 24mp gives you a lot of room for both cropping and downsizing, but I found ISO 3200 perfectly usable with good post-processing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bob Socko posted:

Nah, it's discontinued, you should be able to find one for less than $800.

Regarding ISO - it's a 24mp sensor, downsize to a 16mp image if higher-ISO images are too grainy for you. 24mp gives you a lot of room for both cropping and downsizing, but I found ISO 3200 perfectly usable with good post-processing.

That's well behind what the XE-1/XE-2 is capable of, even with Fuji's somewhat generous ISO ratings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd like a camera with the following features:

- compact (complementing a d800, ideally very compact)
- M43 or larger sensor
- interchangeable lens, fast wide/normals available
- ideally a good viewfinder, but I can deal without

I'm mostly looking at a GM1 now, and going to try an E-PL later.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Primo Itch posted:

Used
Good ISO performance (for shooting in low light situations, such as clubs, etc)
APS-c
Decent viewfinder
Price range around 800-1000USD for the body

Nikon D7x00, the x being the highest number you can afford.

Sample from my D7000 ($600 on ebay) maxed out on ISO, looking better and 4 stops faster than my D1:

It's grainy as hell, but good enough for newsprint.

You could probably get a D7100 for under $1000, with better low-light performance, and the bonus of cheap old first-party long lenses meant for 35mm film -- the Nikon F-mount hasn't changed since 1949, unlike Canon and Olympus who changed the lensmount when they went digital.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 20, 2014

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If you live in the Bay Area and like photography books then you should check out the Friends of the Library Book Sale which runs from Wednesday until Sunday. They generally have 6 to 8 tables stacked pretty high with photography books; Hardcovers are $3, softcovers are $2. Typically everything is $1 on the last day. They also have a million other books on pretty much every topic, so if you like books or have some other project/hobby it's definitely worth checking out.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I notice when suggesting good beginner Nikons you skip over the D3XXX line and go straight after the D5XXX line. Is there a major drop in quality from the 5 line to the 3? Is it worth my extra ~100$ to upgrade to the 5?

I'm just looking to get my feet wet with DSLRs and take some nice photos really, particularly of landscapes/nature photography and some portraits as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. Get the 3 if that's what you can afford.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I think the D5xxx has a slightly bigger sensor but only slightly (1.5 crop vs. 1.6). Slightly higher maximum ISO, more autofocus points, and a flip-out screen. Not much else.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BANME.sh posted:

I think the D5xxx has a slightly bigger sensor but only slightly (1.5 crop vs. 1.6). Slightly higher maximum ISO, more autofocus points, and a flip-out screen. Not much else.

I don't think it's a bigger sensor at all, and the rest of that really depend son which d5xxx you're comparing to your d3xxx (apart from the flip out screen).

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Wikipedia and Snapsort confirm the sensor on the D5100 is bigger than the D3100. Same for the D5200 vs D3200. Though only by fractions of a millimeter :v: They are the same on the D5300/D3300 though.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D3100/specs
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon-D5200/specs
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5300/specs

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 16, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BANME.sh posted:

Wikipedia and Snapsort confirm the sensor on the D5100 is bigger than the D3100. Same for the D5200 vs D3200. Though only by fractions of a millimeter :v: They are the same on the D5300/D3300 though.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D3100/specs
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon-D5200/specs
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5300/specs

If you have a 1.6x crop, it probably means you have a Canon sensor, which you should really donate to your local museum of pre-WW2 antiquities.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you're thinking of spending D5300 money ($750 body only), you might as well buy a used D7000 and some nice lenses.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Wild EEPROM posted:

If you're thinking of spending D5300 money ($750 body only), you might as well buy a used D7000 and some nice lenses.

That's out of my price range. First off, I'm definitely buying used, and I'm looking for a total initial investment of ~500$. There are used but "like new" D3200s with a stock lens on Amazon for ~375, so that seems like the best bet for me! And that will leave me some extra money to invest in a good lens after I am more comfortable with the camera. I think that's my play.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Try looking for one at https://keh.com

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah there is no reason to buy the D5x00 models unless you realllllllly want that flippy screen. Get a D3x00 if your funds are low or a used D7x00 if you have more money. The sensor on the D3300 is really good, probably a little better than the D7000. But the D7000 has more camera.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is the 18-55 lens included on the D3300 worth it for $70? I'm looking to buy a refurb from KEH and they have it with and without the lens.

If I should buy a body only, can you guys give me some camera and lens advice? I have been using a Canon S120 for a year which I adore but I believe I have outgrown. The thing the S120 does the worst is aerial night photography - sometimes I have great chances of taking pictures of cities at night. Otherwise I travel a lot and do a lot of outdoor shots of nature, architecture, food, and a portrait every now and then. I have thought about mirrorless but having a Powershot S120 I think a more natural purchase would be a DSLR so I can cover all my bases.

-edit-
There is also this Canon T5i bundle which packs a hilarious amount of stuff for an extra $100.. Normally I would steer away from bundles but this one has very positive reviews with people claiming its A Good Deal. But I heed to goon knowledge, if buying a used body and used lens is a better idea I will do that.

Animal fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 25, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't have glass yet, the kit lens is always worth it. Next would probably be a fast normal prime (35mm f/1.8) then something at whatever edge of the kit's range you feel you're missing.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Animal posted:

There is also this Canon T5i bundle which packs a hilarious amount of stuff for an extra $100.. Normally I would steer away from bundles but this one has very positive reviews with people claiming its A Good Deal. But I heed to goon knowledge, if buying a used body and used lens is a better idea I will do that.

Most of the accessories will likely be crap, and you don't want the 75-300 lens for your telephoto, you'd want the 55-250 STM if you go canon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

On Amazon, the Canon T5i is the same price including the lens or just the body, so thats a no brainer. Or for $200 I could buy the body only on KEH, in which case, which lens would you guys recommend for it, as a starter lens that will be decent all around?

One of the reasons I am leaning to a T5i or D5300 because they include WiFi and GPS (T5i doesnt :( ), which may seem trivial to a lot of enthusiasts, but I travel a lot and dont always have my laptop. With m Powershot S120 I love that I can immediately move the images to my smartphone and get them online within minutes.

-edit-

Amazon bundle T5i (with stock 18-55mm) + 32gb memory + camera and tablet bag + 55-250 STM = $878. Is that a decent deal? Or am I still better off buying a used body and lenses?

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Could use an eye fi sd card for the wifi part, but I'm not sure if that can transfer images to a smartphone.

In that price range you could be getting a d7000 or a 7d off keh and both of those lenses (18-55, 55-200ish) give or take a little.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'll look into that. In the meantime, is the 55-250 STM on the bundle I liked above the right lens to get? Are there more than one iterations of the lens? The Amazon bundle page does not have specifications for it and I don't want to assume its the best.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's much more to the comparison of D5300 vs. T5i than just a list of features and prices.

Go to a camera store (for those specific cameras, Best Buy or other Big Box retailer will do) and physically handle the cameras. You might just decide, for some unknowable "gut feeling" reason, that you love or hate one of those options, thus making your decision-making that much easier.

EDIT: I'm gonna be that guy again. PENTAX! $500 gets you the K-50, kit 18-55, and an Eye-Fi card that will send photos to your smartphone.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 25, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thanks, I am reading about the Pentax and will definitely take it into consideration.

I've handled both Canon and Nikon models and both are fine to me, so it boils down to value and features.

Right now I have two wish lists on my Amazon:

REFURBISHED Nikon D5300 (stock 18-55mm included) + Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC for $977

and

NEW Canon EOS Rebel T5i bundle. Stock 18-55mm, 55-250mm STM, well reviewed bag, well reviewed 32gb stick for $878.

On the one hand the Canon package is new and has more stuff in it for $100 less.

On the other hand the Nikon would have the Tamron lens which I assume is of higher quality than the Canon stuff (as its repeatedly recommended in this forum) and has Wifi + GPS which will be very useful to me.

Any help in any direction will be appreciated.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Buy one, take photos, don't look back.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Animal posted:

Thanks, I am reading about the Pentax and will definitely take it into consideration.

I've handled both Canon and Nikon models and both are fine to me, so it boils down to value and features.

Right now I have two wish lists on my Amazon:

REFURBISHED Nikon D5300 (stock 18-55mm included) + Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC for $977

and

NEW Canon EOS Rebel T5i bundle. Stock 18-55mm, 55-250mm STM, well reviewed bag, well reviewed 32gb stick for $878.

On the one hand the Canon package is new and has more stuff in it for $100 less.

On the other hand the Nikon would have the Tamron lens which I assume is of higher quality than the Canon stuff (as its repeatedly recommended in this forum) and has Wifi + GPS which will be very useful to me.

Any help in any direction will be appreciated.

Ignore all included accessories that aren't lenses or lens hoods.

I'd go with the Nikon bundle, and I say that not because I love Nikon so much, but because that Tamron is VERY often recommended in here and you'll likely hang onto it. There's nothing specifically wrong with the 55-250 but it doesn't really stand out much.

A bag and a memory card are things you buy after, once you work out, say, what poo poo you need to fit in your bag.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ok thanks. Yes, I keep leaning towards the Nikon because of that lens and the features. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help

-edit-
Another option with the Nikon is to get the body on KEH for $70 less, and the Tamron 17-55mm, both for $891. Do you guys think its a good idea to get a quality 17-55mm, or rather spend the money on a prime and a good (Tamron) telephoto?

I'm sorry I keep bugging you all but I wanna make the best informed decision I can, seeing as I will likely keep these lenses for a while.

Animal fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 26, 2014

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
The D5300 is the first DSLR I've ever owned and I took a couple nice snaps during concerts with it. It more than serves its purpose.

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 26, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Animal posted:

Ok thanks. Yes, I keep leaning towards the Nikon because of that lens and the features. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help

-edit-
Another option with the Nikon is to get the body on KEH for $70 less, and the Tamron 17-55mm, both for $891. Do you guys think its a good idea to get a quality 17-55mm, or rather spend the money on a prime and a good (Tamron) telephoto?

I'm sorry I keep bugging you all but I wanna make the best informed decision I can, seeing as I will likely keep these lenses for a while.

You said you were using this for aerial night photography, do you really have the room or need for a foot long, heavier, telephoto lens? The 17-50 f/2.8 would be a fantastic all around lens, and great for learning what exactly you want or need.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

Could use an eye fi sd card for the wifi part, but I'm not sure if that can transfer images to a smartphone.

In that price range you could be getting a d7000 or a 7d off keh and both of those lenses (18-55, 55-200ish) give or take a little.

It can transfer images to an iPhone. hth

Eugene Oregon
Nov 1, 2014
I just got my first dSLR: A Canon T5i. I have no idea what i am doing with it. The manual is pretty dry in explaining what the controls on it do. Is there a better place for me to learn how to get the most out of my camera?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Read the book Understanding Exposure.

Also shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Hey, I'm a pretty experienced amateur photographer that used to have a 20D back when that was new and hot, but I currently don't own a DSLR. I am thinking about buying a new DSLR body. I'm leaning Canon since I still have a 50mm 1.4 and possibly my 70-200mm f4 as well. What are the best contenders <$1000? I would be happy to buy something used too, unless the current gen has any big leaps forward in terms of features. I care about low light photography, don't care about really fast shutter speeds or crazy bursts for sports or anything.

Eugene Oregon
Nov 1, 2014

Wild EEPROM posted:

Read the book Understanding Exposure.

Also shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot

I got this book a long time ago when I had my D50. I get the gist of exposure, on a very bad level. I guess my question was more understanding the various controls of my new camera.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's no better way to learn how to manipulate the camera than to go out (with the manual) and try and take some pictures. The basics though are to spin knobs until the numbers look right.

Eugene Oregon
Nov 1, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

There's no better way to learn how to manipulate the camera than to go out (with the manual) and try and take some pictures. The basics though are to spin knobs until the numbers look right.

I suppose that is true. I will go out and do that.

On a related note, a friend of mine has a flash that she can take off her camera. I've been told that I don't necessarily have to buy a Canon-brand light to get this effect. Someone recommended a YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL to me. Has anyone here ever used this? Yay or nay?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Yay! Very much so.

I have one for my Nikon. It has an almost full range swivel head, lots of granularity in power, decent highest power setting, it recycles fast enough for a cheap lens and the TTL should work fine.

This was shot with my 468, head swivelled slightly upwards, the diffusion head on the flash, shot at two stops under TTL settings. (I had to up the exposure about a third of a stop in lightroom and I put a vignette on it.)

edit: ignore that his face is soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Eugene Oregon posted:

I got this book a long time ago when I had my D50. I get the gist of exposure, on a very bad level. I guess my question was more understanding the various controls of my new camera.

So is this more that you know what you want to do but just don't know where the controls are, or are totally new and have no clue what it all does?

But in general, take lots of pictures. Like just sit on the couch, and take pictures of the same thing over and over but change up the settings to see what the actual results are.

Oh, and turn on "back button focus"

Look up "Custom Functions" in your manual.

What you'll look for is "Shutter/AE lock button", and you'll want to set that to "AE lock/AF".

What that does is it takes the auto focus operation off your shutter button and puts it onto a button on the back of your camera. Should be the second button in on the top right, with a * above it. Half pressing the shutter will no longer engage the autofocus (except in the auto modes, but you shouldn't be using those much any way)

• Locked thread