Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of AF and that sort of thing, I'm running into what I'll call.. 'unexpected performance levels' from my new-to-me (used) 7D and my trusty 400mm lens. I'm going to sit down with a focusing target, AF micro adjustment scale, tripod, tethered live view, etc. to see if I can work it out for myself, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this example of what I'm getting in the chance that someone here might spitball a few reasons I'm seeing this, or has seen it before. I'm really not sure if the problem lies in the camera, the lens, or me.
These are far from the results I get with the same lens and a 5D2, or adapted to an a6000.

It generally looks to me like shake-induced blur rather than improper focus. Maybe I'm suddenly coming down with parkinsons, but I've also considered ... mirror slap? But that wouldn't cause issues at 1/800 - 1/1250 shutter speeds, would it?

I don't think there's an optical problem with the lens, as I can still get it to produce sharp results from time to time. I wonder if maybe the shutter is running slow. I look at the metadata for these examples and the target shutter speed is something like 1/819. Can I trust that number to be the real measured speed of the shutter? It's not exactly 1/800 so that suggests to me that it really is accurate, which would mean the shutter is working fine.
First thing you need to do is get that body on a tripod in a controlled test; there's just too many variables to account for otherwise. The problems you're experiencing sound exactly like what I went through with my 7D as well and those were all from my technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm tending toward, if for no other reason than that I can't find any other likely potential causes. But three things still stick out to me:

1.) Everything taken with this lens adapted to an a6000 is significantly sharper. That's a crop sensor that's a little more pixel-dense (24MP 1.5x crop) than the 7D (18MP 1.6x crop), and has a comparable effective focal length. The easy explanation for that difference is mirror slap.

2.) A noticeable proportion of the CR2s from this camera have the metadata property
code:
AF Points In Focus: (none)
..but I'm thinking those must have been from the times that I let my thumb off of the AF-On button before depressing the shutter.

3.) Some photos are really pretty sharp. Even in a controlled setting on the tripod with a 10-second timer (and no Live View), the pixel-level detail varies between fairly sharp and soft. So I still don't think I can completely rule out something with the camera mechanism as a cause for at least some of the soft photos.

But going back and looking closely at pictures from my 5D2 / 400L, it seems like the pixel-level softness is there, too. Not quite as noticeable as with the 7D / 400L, but nowhere near as sharp as the a6000 / 400L. I guess the cropped field of view (not present on the 5D) combined with the mirror slap (not present on the a6000), snowball together to make stuff from the 7D just a little bit softer than either the 5D or the a6000. Which is fine, as long as I can find some way to increase the percentage of acceptably sharp photos above what I'm getting now.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm tending toward, if for no other reason than that I can't find any other likely potential causes. But three things still stick out to me:

1.) Everything taken with this lens adapted to an a6000 is significantly sharper. That's a crop sensor that's a little more pixel-dense (24MP 1.5x crop) than the 7D (18MP 1.6x crop), and has a comparable effective focal length. The easy explanation for that difference is mirror slap.

2.) A noticeable proportion of the CR2s from this camera have the metadata property
code:
AF Points In Focus: (none)
..but I'm thinking those must have been from the times that I let my thumb off of the AF-On button before depressing the shutter.

3.) Some photos are really pretty sharp. Even in a controlled setting on the tripod with a 10-second timer (and no Live View), the pixel-level detail varies between fairly sharp and soft. So I still don't think I can completely rule out something with the camera mechanism as a cause for at least some of the soft photos.

But going back and looking closely at pictures from my 5D2 / 400L, it seems like the pixel-level softness is there, too. Not quite as noticeable as with the 7D / 400L, but nowhere near as sharp as the a6000 / 400L. I guess the cropped field of view (not present on the 5D) combined with the mirror slap (not present on the a6000), snowball together to make stuff from the 7D just a little bit softer than either the 5D or the a6000. Which is fine, as long as I can find some way to increase the percentage of acceptably sharp photos above what I'm getting now.

Having also just gotten a new-to-me 7D (thanks, InternetJunky!), I've been reading up on its features/settings. You can set the AI Servo's tracking sensitivity with a custom function in the 7D. Not sure if that would assist in any way.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So far I've just used AI focus, but the existence of Servo sensitivity adjustment is pretty cool and I'm sure I'll make use of it.

(I've gone back to shutter-press single focus for now, trying to debug my technique as I try to attain sharper pictures.)

One cool thing about the 7D as opposed to my 5D is the seeming 'intelligence' of the spot focusing. So far it's proved able to lock onto birds through obscuring branches with ease.

And to follow up on the performance issues I had, the session when my results were the worst just so happened to be on a morning when the temperature was hovering around freezing. The 7D is supposed to be pretty robust, and so are L lenses, but I'm thinking that may have been a factor. (I don't think there was condensation on the glass, though, as the view in the finder was clear.)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And to follow up on the performance issues I had, the session when my results were the worst just so happened to be on a morning when the temperature was hovering around freezing. The 7D is supposed to be pretty robust, and so are L lenses, but I'm thinking that may have been a factor. (I don't think there was condensation on the glass, though, as the view in the finder was clear.)

If your lens hasn't cooled down to reach the ambient temperature, it might affect focus. Also, atmospheric turbulence can be a limiting factor.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
is bad at deciding when to switch from one shot to servo.
If you're already using back button focus just set it to servo

SMERSH Mouth posted:

1.) Everything taken with this lens adapted to an a6000 is significantly sharper.

Take photos in live view/with mirror lock up and compare. If the a6000 is still sharper then it will have a less strong low pass filter than the 7D (actively blurs the picture to avoid moire).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I have a Canon D550 with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens (which I gather is quite cheap) that I bought second hand some time ago to try out photography and I'm thinking of getting an upgrade in about two months time when I go to Hong Kong.

My price range is about ~910 USD or ~7100 HKD. Is it worth upgrading with this money? Preferably I'd like to get a camera that performs decently at low light situations. I'm considering not buying second hand since I probably won't be able to return it if anything goes wrong and I want it to last me at least a year.

I'm only just getting into photography seriously and a lot of the hardware stuff still eludes me so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Regardless of what you get, when I was in HK last year there was a used em5 for 280 USD (about the price of a used one now) with 670 counts on the shutter in SIM City in Mon Kok and I wish I jumped on that when I was there. Don't be afraid of used in the literal best used camera market.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

a7m2 posted:

I have a Canon D550 with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens (which I gather is quite cheap) that I bought second hand some time ago to try out photography and I'm thinking of getting an upgrade in about two months time when I go to Hong Kong.

My price range is about ~910 USD or ~7100 HKD. Is it worth upgrading with this money? Preferably I'd like to get a camera that performs decently at low light situations. I'm considering not buying second hand since I probably won't be able to return it if anything goes wrong and I want it to last me at least a year.

I'm only just getting into photography seriously and a lot of the hardware stuff still eludes me so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Are you planning to upgrade the body, or get a new lens?

Newer camera bodies are usually better at low-light than older ones, all else being equal. Or, you could get a lens with a wider maximum aperture, like the ever-popular Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8.

I bet you could get both a new body AND the Tamron lens for about $900 USD, but personally I'd go for one or the other - and I like lenses, so I'd be shopping for that Tamron.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mr. Wookums posted:

Regardless of what you get, when I was in HK last year there was a used em5 for 280 USD (about the price of a used one now) with 670 counts on the shutter in SIM City in Mon Kok and I wish I jumped on that when I was there. Don't be afraid of used in the literal best used camera market.
Hey thanks for the reply. I'll definitely consider it! Since I'm not very knowledgeable it makes me a little nervous though.

ExecuDork posted:

Are you planning to upgrade the body, or get a new lens?

Newer camera bodies are usually better at low-light than older ones, all else being equal. Or, you could get a lens with a wider maximum aperture, like the ever-popular Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8.

I bet you could get both a new body AND the Tamron lens for about $900 USD, but personally I'd go for one or the other - and I like lenses, so I'd be shopping for that Tamron.

Thanks! Honestly thinking of getting both since I want to give my current camera to my sister as I think she'd enjoy getting into photography. If the price is right, I can maybe spend 1000 USD but not sure. Definitely no more.

It doesn't have to be an amazing camera, as long as it's a upgrade.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
A used E-m 5 or E-m 10 would probably a good choice for you. Both have image stabilization build into the body (great for low light!) and you could probably get a few decent lenses too for 1000 bucks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, if you're not going to keep the old camera anyway, you can switch to a different manufacturer's system. For ~$900 you could really go for any brand, pretty much everybody offers a starter kit of body+1 or 2 lenses for that kind of money.

Just spend a couple of hours in a good camera shop and buy the camera that fits best in your hands.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone know a good camera shop in Hong Kong, or is this not the place to ask? Last time I got mine at some random shop in Sham Shui Po by Golden Computer Arcade.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There is a mini mall in tsim sha tsui where they have 5 stores all selling used gear of all kinds, including things you probably wouldn't expect to find like 58mm noct nikkors or a minolta cl or a nikon s rangefinder.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do you recall the name or location? I'll definitely check it out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I purchased things from Sim City in Mon Kok and the Computer Centre in Wan Chai.

/e- Stanley Street in Central also has a few stores that are not terrible (Anything with annoying NEON SIGNS or DUTY/TAX FREE avoid like the plague)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Kimberly road somewhere, I think it's champagne court

All good friends camera
David Chan company

And a few more

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah champagne court has a lot of used camera shops but I'm not sure if they're all just trying to rip you off.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

alkanphel posted:

Yeah champagne court has a lot of used camera shops but I'm not sure if they're all just trying to rip you off.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of since considering my limited knowledge it's probably pretty easy to rip me off.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I need a digital camera again.

Good news, I have no autofocus lenses, so I'm starting fresh with no baggage.

Budget is about $1000 CAD.

I like 28 and 50mm equivalent focal lengths. I don't care for 35mm equivalent.

Size isn't the biggest concern.

mrdespair has pretty much convinced me on the omd-em5 mk1 and also the panasonic 25mm 1.7.

Anything else I should be looking at? Sony doesn't make lenses, fuji is too much, etc.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Panasonic? The gx8 has the most bleeding-edge new m43 sensor available. Maybe a little out of your price range, though. Unless you can find a good deal.

I've been curious about how effective the AF really is on Olympus bodies. My understanding is that they still use just contrast-detection rather than on-sensor phase detection + CD, and that is supposed to be slower, although very accurate.

But these are just marketing buzzwords. Even though they describe actual features and I grasp the basic difference between them, it takes either an in-depth knowledge of sensor engineering or lots of hands-on experience to determine what the practical difference really is.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I have a Panasonic G7, which is very nice, has a pretty good kit lens, and appears to be on sale in a lot of places now. You might be able to pick one up and throw in a couple big SD cards, some extra batteries, and a case, and still stay way under your budget.

No in-body AF, though, and the Panny AF lenses are a bit pricey still.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You mean IS? It is the deficiency in Panasonic bodies, IMO. I think they would have an edge on Oly if they could pull out an effective IBIS that would make using Zuiko lenses more worthwhile. Oly seems to have the edge in optics when you're not talking Panaleica.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Both the GX8 and G7 are wayyyyyy over my budget :(

Stupid CAD means about $1000 cad = $700 usd

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ExecuDork posted:

Just spend a couple of hours in a good camera shop and buy the camera that fits best in your hands.
This is the main rule these days. The sensors are neck-and-neck. Some people prefer Canon's iPod wheel, some prefer Nikon's thumbwheel and D-pad, play with them and buy what feels best.

a7m2 posted:

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone know a good camera shop in Hong Kong, or is this not the place to ask? Last time I got mine at some random shop in Sham Shui Po by Golden Computer Arcade.
That's like asking where to buy a car in greater Detroit. Hong Kong is the wonderland of camera shops.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You mean IS? It is the deficiency in Panasonic bodies, IMO. I think they would have an edge on Oly if they could pull out an effective IBIS that would make using Zuiko lenses more worthwhile. Oly seems to have the edge in optics when you're not talking Panaleica.

Ga-doy. yes, IS. And Panasonic has IS in many of their M43 lenses, but for budget-blowing prices, sadly.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Both the GX8 and G7 are wayyyyyy over my budget :(

Stupid CAD means about $1000 cad = $700 usd
Hmm, I did a quick search and saw the G7 on sale at a few places for US$599. Could have been a weekend price drop or something, though. Sorry.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm enjoying photography so far, but I feel like for every 100 shots I take, 1 is worth keeping or opening up in Lightroom. Is this normal? I'm running manual only and it's so hard to get the settings right for different light sources, action shots etc..

Any recommended videos on improving this stuff or is the best advice to literally take thousands of photos?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's good learning manual but it's better to stay on aperture priority for most shots and shutter priority for shots were you want to freeze or blur motion.

Aside from working with off camera flash, I only go into manual to stay at a constant setting or if something is not working with Av or Tv. In almost all cases (except with flash) I'll usually start in one of the two, then resort to manual if needed.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Haggins posted:

It's good learning manual but it's better to stay on aperture priority for most shots and shutter priority for shots were you want to freeze or blur motion.

Aside from working with off camera flash, I only go into manual to stay at a constant setting or if something is not working with Av or Tv. In almost all cases (except with flash) I'll usually start in one of the two, then resort to manual if needed.

To add to this: You will eventually get a feel for how your camera's exposure metering works in Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, or Manual with Auto ISO or similar, and at worst you will have to do some post. Just err to ETTR, as slightly overexposed is better than underexposed, except at night when you want your photos to look as dark as natural light permits to your eye (and the shutter speed benefit is significant with exposure compensation 1-2 stops down).

im gay posted:

I'm enjoying photography so far, but I feel like for every 100 shots I take, 1 is worth keeping or opening up in Lightroom. Is this normal? I'm running manual only and it's so hard to get the settings right for different light sources, action shots etc..

Any recommended videos on improving this stuff or is the best advice to literally take thousands of photos?

As far as throwing away shots I generally feel okay about maybe 1/10-1/20. I actually like 1/500. If I am shooting events, the 1/10 goes to the customer, and the 1/500 goes to my portfolio. Liking 1/100 is not bad as the odds you like a given photo you've taken will probably go down with time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

im gay posted:

Be mindful of what has gone wrong in past photos. If you're shooting all manual just go through the checklist (focus, exposure, framing) in your mind before mindlessly snapping away. Then practice practice practice.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

im gay posted:

Nothing beats practice, but I've learnt some stuff from Mike Browne's youtube videos.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

im gay posted:

I'm enjoying photography so far, but I feel like for every 100 shots I take, 1 is worth keeping or opening up in Lightroom. Is this normal?

Yeah, and it's going to be normal when, in a few years (if you stick with it), you look back those 1/100 shots and laugh at how terrible they are.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys, I got interested into investing in a DSLR camera thanks to a friend of mine that studied photography. I was looking into some entry level cameras and I found a very good deal ($350) for both a Nikon 5300 and a Canon Rebel T5i. I know poo poo about cameras, I read that the Nikon has better picture quality but the Canon is more user friendly, which is perfect for beginners. The Nikon comes with a 18-55mm, which some guy on youtube says is not a very good lens. While I've read everywhere that the 18-55 from the Canon is plainly good

Which camera would you guys chose for someone that is new to this and doesn't understand anything about ISO, exposure and all those things that I hope to learn in the future?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Go buy the 5D and 50/1.8 in the gear trade thread for like $350 and start learning.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yes, this is the way to go. Old professional gear is going be more valuable to you (in terms of usability) in the future than newer basic consumer stuff. 5D is still capable of making very nice still photos.

Unless you want to do video.... I guess. Newer low-end dslrs can do video, but not that well.

Or unless you want to do a lot of outdoor wildlife photography. APSC crop sensors give you more effective telephoto distance per mm of focal length and will treat you better there, at the expense of image quality.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I can't speak for the Nikon but the T5i with the 18-55mm is a great camera and lens combo for beginners (own experience). Also get a 50mm 1.8 if you can swing it. Primes are a ton of fun and you will learn a lot more about proper framing, positioning etc. when you have to use your feet to zoom.

Also get a copy of Understanding Exposure to help you understand how the different settings work together.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Go to a camera store or big box electronics store that sells cameras (almost all of them do) and PLAY WITH THE CAMERAS. The Canon and the Nikon have much more important differences in how they feel IN YOUR HANDS than the differences in some rando's online review making wild claims about image quality.

You don't have to buy from that store, but you do need to feel those cameras.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Go to a camera store or big box electronics store that sells cameras (almost all of them do) and PLAY WITH THE CAMERAS. The Canon and the Nikon have much more important differences in how they feel IN YOUR HANDS than the differences in some rando's online review making wild claims about image quality.

You don't have to buy from that store, but you do need to feel those cameras.

Echoing this. I played with a bunch of cameras before buying them and I found out that Nikons gave me really bad hand cramps.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Another thing to consider is if you have any friends or relatives that have a bunch of gear and would let you borrow it, you might want to go with the same brand as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For very basic understanding of the primary camera controls, Canon have a fun website that lets you play with a virtual camera and compare the different images you get when you change aperture and shutter speed.
http://canonoutsideofauto.ca/

• Locked thread