Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So random question, the A99 my parents bought has an LCD viewfinder, and the salesmen told us it's nice because you don't have to switch to the back LCD to get video and you don't have to wait for the mirror to move out of the way.

So, is the A99 mirrorless and not a DSLR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After posting I decided to do a little digging myself, and apparently the A99 is full frame? I feel so shamed by my mom's camera now :smith:

On the other hand, she's spent 50% more than me and only has the kit lens (but with f/2.8 isn't that bad)while I've got two prime 1.8s, and also I love my D5100. Not gonna let camera envy get the best of me.

I actually handled a D7000 at the store and I wasn't a huge fan, I thought it was too heavy. Also he said they're really hard to find new (all they had was used) so I'm betting the new D7100 or D7200 *has* to be on the horizon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I checked out samples of it for Kindle, Nook, and Google Play, they were all bad.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CarrotFlowers posted:

Some lenses are objectively sharper than others, but the difference to most people is negligible. Not to mention people talk about how awesome some exotic and expensive 85mm 1.2 is, then shoot wide open and miss focus anyway.

I for some reason must shoot wide open always and I probably have shittier pictures than someone with a kit lens because of it.

Gotta get that bokeh

I recently started using my 35/1.8 at 2.8 or 3.5 around the house and I feel pretty dirty for it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I think this is a begginner question, but I can go somewhere else if it's not...

I'm looking to take some risque pictures of my wife, and I'm not sure where to start.

I have horrid memories of doing this back in college with some $100 P&S with the flash on, so I get nervous thinking about how I'd do it now. I've got a D5100 with a 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, so I think I'm settled in that department. The only thing I'm not sure about is lighting. I'm thinking I'm going to need something like an SB-700 that I can bounce off the ceiling, since I don't want anything too harsh, right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Got a friend that shoots Nikon with an SB-700 he'll let me borrow.

Ironically enough he'll hand it over to the wife next time they see each other, which could very likely be for a risque shoot.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm borrowing an SB-700, how the hell do I use this thing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't worry, we're not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, my battery wasn't charging for my Nikon and I popped into the local camera shop so I could see if it was the charger or the battery.

$75 dollars later and now I have a brand new 3 ounce piece of plastic to charge my battery.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SoundMonkey posted:

You do know chargers cost like $15 from GadgetInfinity, right?

Or was this essential for the ~risque~ shoot.

I was dumb and didn't think it would cost that much so I didn't even bother to look online. I figured it would be a little more expensive but it'd be OK because I could go to a store and figure out of it was the battery or the charger.

Whelp.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's a new in box Nikon MH-24 charger. I could have saved $20 getting it online, oh well, not that big of a deal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I met my mom's boyfriend's grandson today (so, uh, potential nephew?) and he was having quite a bit of fun taking pictures P&S. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a really cheap older DSLR for him to play with? Like body + lens for a couple hundred bucks? I saw him moving around to take pictures of me from all sorts of different angles and I felt the need to teach him about the golden triangle.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kodak!

Oh wait...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Damnit, I saw some pictures taken locally with a 10mm lens, and now I want 10mm lense. And then I see a 10-24 Tamron for $250 on Craiglist. gently caress me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there some kind of good guide for dummies on using the Auto-ISO on Nikon? I've been doing manual ISO on Aperture priority, and then manually adjusting the ISO until the meter gives me an exposure time I'll be happy with.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The camera shop I bought my camera from includes 4 free classes. I finally got around to taking the first one last night and holy poo poo I learned so much. This is gonna be a fun ride.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I went to National Camera in the Twin Cities (http://natcam.com/).

My class was taught by an actual photographer. We started out with Auto is bad and went from there. Learned about P (Program mode), and then moved onto Aperture Priority and Shutter priority. The class itself is probably taught by 10s or 100s of different instructors, and has been basically since DSLRs existed, so they've got a lot of good photo examples. And not just "here's a picture I took in Shutter priority." Here's a shot I took in Program mode, doesn't that suck? Here I took it again with shutter 1/30th, oh that sucks for a different reason. Now here it is at 1/4000, that one's actually good. I'd already known about the magic triangle from Understanding Exposure, but there was some artistic stuff he taught as well. Like how fast shutter speed freezes motion, slow shutter speed captures motion (with the classic example of a waterfall, but also a ferris wheel and a few other things). I learned about focus points and focus mode (and he shamed Nikon's AFA mode, which I promptly switched out of). He talked about focus and composition, specifically the thing where you center the subject, focus on the subject, freeze your focus, and then recompose your shot so maybe your subject is on the side of the frame. I already knew that but I think it helped a lot of people there.

My mom had gotten a Groupon deal for a class a year or two ago somewhere else, and she said that this 2 hour class covered more than the 3 2-hour classes she took previously somewhere else.

It was pretty intense, which is my preferred pace. I can't wait for sessions 2 & 3.

E: Also talked about using the pop-up flash as a fill flash even when it's light out. I wasn't super happy about the color of the subjects when using the fill flash, but there certainly was a lot more detail in the pictures with fill flash vs the ones without.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 17, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Spoiler alert, I didn't read understanding exposure beyond the magic triangle chapter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

So I got a lens on ebay, and it came with a UV filter and I took that poo poo off because screw that. It's a wide angle lens and I got all up in my cat's face and she rubbed on it and then I pokked it and left those smudges, and I'm wondering if they can be cleaned off or if I've damaged the coating or something. The pictures still look fine, so worst case scenario I put the UV filter back on and don't worry about it.

It's a Sigma 10-20mm if that matters.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also it's manual focus, if that matters.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Simple question about video and exposure. I understand the exposure triangle of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. How does it work with video? Is it the same triangle, but your shutter speed is fixed at 1/30th (or 1/24th, or 1/60th, whatever)? If that's the case, does 60fps require twice as much light as 30fps, all things being equal (and 24fps requiring a little less than 30?)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm betting if I watch my camera record I won't see the physical shutter moving, but it's probably doing some software tricks to only capture light on the sensor for whatever shutter speed you're at. Keep in mind, that even at 1080p you're only doing ~2.1 megapixels (compared to my D5200's 24 megapixels) so the camera's got a lot of extra processing power leftover to do stuff.

I also found this video which explains it some: https://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/56/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-straight

• Locked thread