Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate

Very cool, I really like the acid at 0:50. Cool syncopation throughout. The uplift might be too intense, in my opinion. Really neat clicky and largely unfiltered drums (I'd imagine). Very likable bassline and chord progression. Overall it's a pretty great attempt at making the thing you seem to have wanted to create, if that makes any sense.

I was going to check out Fuckabees' stuff as well, but it seems to have been taken down?

As for me, I'm just still playing around with D&B. Nothing as hard as the previous thing, but more melodic and harmonic. I'm remixing a friend's Work in Progress, and I kinda like how it turns out. It's obviously kinda muddy, since I don't have any stems as of yet, and I'm just masking away the bass/drums as well as I can with EQ. I'd love some comments on compression and drum EQ mostly, but any comment is very welcome. I've tried to use some parallel compression, and it's pretty fun.

https://soundcloud.com/knofle/dnbremixworkinprogress/s-Oi0nL

The original: https://soundcloud.com/osvelit/gotdaym (Some really chill french house-ish thing.)

edit: This is turning more into an original tune. I might change the melody to something more harmonic and just remove the tune I'm remixing. It's not like you can hear much of it anyways.

Knofle fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

Knofle posted:

Very cool, I really like the acid at 0:50. Cool syncopation throughout. The uplift might be too intense, in my opinion. Really neat clicky and largely unfiltered drums (I'd imagine). Very likable bassline and chord progression. Overall it's a pretty great attempt at making the thing you seem to have wanted to create, if that makes any sense.

I was going to check out Fuckabees' stuff as well, but it seems to have been taken down?

As for me, I'm just still playing around with D&B. Nothing as hard as the previous thing, but more melodic and harmonic. I'm remixing a friend's Work in Progress, and I kinda like how it turns out. It's obviously kinda muddy, since I don't have any stems as of yet, and I'm just masking away the bass/drums as well as I can with EQ. I'd love some comments on compression and drum EQ mostly, but any comment is very welcome. I've tried to use some parallel compression, and it's pretty fun.

The original: https://soundcloud.com/osvelit/gotdaym (Some really chill french house-ish thing.)

edit: This is turning more into an original tune. I might change the melody to something more harmonic and just remove the tune I'm remixing. It's not like you can hear much of it anyways.

This is awesome! I especially like the kick drum pattern and the way this track builds up and breaks down. The kick drum sits nice and fat in the mix with the compression you've got on it/other elements, and I like the airy quality to the snair.

At around 40 seconds the buildup is very nice, and the crest when everything drops back in is a glorious moment in this track. I would like it if the dropoff at 40 seconds were even more dramatic and we couldn't hear the synth at all, but it works well as it is anyway.

The introduction does a good job of quickly setting the tone and giving listeners a taste of what's to come. I personally would like if it were more drawn out and atmospheric so that the meaty loop you've got sounds more satisfying when it drops. Other than that, I was sad when the track quickly faded away - I want this to be longer so I can groove on it while getting poo poo done/gaming.

Here's a downtempo experiment I started last week. I mangled an acapella in a variety of ways to form the meat of loops which I combined into a song. It's quite rough but I've put about 7-10 hours of work into it and can't objectively hear it any more. Feedback would be appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/ready-for-a-change-revox

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys

Knofle posted:

Wow man. That is just. Wow. I have never been one for drum and bass, but that really took me. I think the delicacy of the echo out (especially the second with the triplet delays) is really smart and works super good. Also the synth modulations over time seem perfected. Thats something I'me still struggling with. Do you do the mods in VST params? or mostly filter sweeps? Here are the things that hit me...

Being up front with the chip tune stuff, and having it referenced but less obvious later on in the track...real sense of subtle congruence.

The bass is not only meaty, but soft for a saw...real warm and not over powering. And its syncopation is really smart and subtle. Moves the track real well.

I like the original as well. Surprised the range you got out of the progression...had to listen a few times to even tell they were even remotely closely linked, because the original melody is captured by the bass with the lower voices of his chords are in your melody. That is a cool trick.

Its tough for me to hear any parallel compression, mostly because I'm not familiar how it is used in DnB. But its subtle if any. What are you using for the side chain input?

EDIT:

Knofle posted:

Oh. Right. Well, that's because wafflehound was right. So...back to the kitchen. I need to fix my set up and work harder at stuff he said. He nailed it.

Fuckabees fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 10, 2014

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys

squakMix posted:

This is awesome! I especially like the kick drum pattern and the way this track builds up and breaks down. The kick drum sits nice and fat in the mix with the compression you've got on it/other elements, and I like the airy quality to the snair.

At around 40 seconds the buildup is very nice, and the crest when everything drops back in is a glorious moment in this track. I would like it if the dropoff at 40 seconds were even more dramatic and we couldn't hear the synth at all, but it works well as it is anyway.

The introduction does a good job of quickly setting the tone and giving listeners a taste of what's to come. I personally would like if it were more drawn out and atmospheric so that the meaty loop you've got sounds more satisfying when it drops. Other than that, I was sad when the track quickly faded away - I want this to be longer so I can groove on it while getting poo poo done/gaming.

Here's a downtempo experiment I started last week. I mangled an acapella in a variety of ways to form the meat of loops which I combined into a song. It's quite rough but I've put about 7-10 hours of work into it and can't objectively hear it any more. Feedback would be appreciated!

Its very chill. I like the drag of it. Is it 100% samples? (probably not the pad I guess). I like the bass a lot...some cool chord changes and little syncopations make it interesting. I would definitely give the dishes a rework. Not sure how you have them set up. If they are not directly a sample loop (ie if they are individual in drum rack or something then i would lengthen the attack on the open HH and crash to make them less abrassive, and also take them all down to match the kick and snare level, maybe bus all the drums to a compressor as well. or at least the high hat group...and consider re-eqing them as well. Interesting track for sure. Would listen again.

unrelated side note...while listening, this came up as related to you (via tags I guess...https://soundcloud.com/dirggerner) not normally into down tempo but this guy is pretty dang up my alley chord change wise and vocals.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

squakMix posted:

Not sure what to say about this. It's loving beautiful. The "it's getting so lonely inside this bed" section of vox (and related bits later) seem a little too obviously pitch-shifted, maybe try playing with the grains / envelope settings a bit to make it a bit more natural? It is otherwise beyond listenable in its current state. Nice work.

Knofle posted:

Compression: I don't know if you're trying to duck the whole mix under the kick but if so the release isn't quite long enough. If not then the threshold of your compression is too low (alt: your kick is a bit too high in the mix); the kick is dropping everything around it but not in a musical way. I find it really distracting.

EQ: drums are super crisp, but the crackle I want to hear from the snare isn't there (highmid is scooped?) and the hats are maybe a little too bright or too high in the mix, they're masking other elements of the song (maybe this is also a compression artifact).

Generally sounds great though. I like what you're doing with it.

So now, some new poo poo of mine for you guys to tear apart:

1. https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/when-explore-as-explorers
2. https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/glass-falls-through-sky

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

Here's some stuff I do for fun, I wanted to try throw some mouth harp on something since it's pretty popular in folk metal these days, but my own style is, blackened speed/glam/thrash so it was a bit foreign to me. Not sure if this would get Celtic tribes psyched to ram a woad painted fist of freedom up the british oppressors rear end or not. Don't know if I am going to get around to finishing a full song, would probably nix the trem picking I threw over the other guitar part (Not that you can hear either of them! lovely demo mix, old strings.), I like the idea of making everything blackened, but throwing black metal trem picking over everything just results in cacophony most of the time. Mouth harp is fed into a guitar amp VST at the beginning, because I wanted kind of a talk box feel.

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-bockman/sounds-of-unadulterated

Edit: Was this thread solely for electronic music? Honestly can't tell, I read "sketches" as referring to anything in a demoing type state? If it is, this is terribly out of place and I apologize.

sofullofhate posted:

Not sure what to say about this. It's loving beautiful. The "it's getting so lonely inside this bed" section of vox (and related bits later) seem a little too obviously pitch-shifted, maybe try playing with the grains / envelope settings a bit to make it a bit more natural? It is otherwise beyond listenable in its current state. Nice work.

Compression: I don't know if you're trying to duck the whole mix under the kick but if so the release isn't quite long enough. If not then the threshold of your compression is too low (alt: your kick is a bit too high in the mix); the kick is dropping everything around it but not in a musical way. I find it really distracting.

EQ: drums are super crisp, but the crackle I want to hear from the snare isn't there (highmid is scooped?) and the hats are maybe a little too bright or too high in the mix, they're masking other elements of the song (maybe this is also a compression artifact).

Generally sounds great though. I like what you're doing with it.

So now, some new poo poo of mine for you guys to tear apart:

1. https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/when-explore-as-explorers
2. https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/glass-falls-through-sky

First one is kind of Tangerine Dream esque in parts. Dig it! I don't know what the standard for this kind of thing is or what you were going for, but I would definitely think a cool 80s feel with some distressor or cavernous delay/reverb on parts like the (Sawtooth I think? Haven't played with synths in a while.) synth in the beginning would be sick. Then again, maybe a more pristine kind of feel is desired for this kind of stuff.

Khomaniac fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 14, 2014

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

Fuckabees posted:

Its very chill. I like the drag of it. Is it 100% samples? (probably not the pad I guess). I like the bass a lot...some cool chord changes and little syncopations make it interesting. I would definitely give the dishes a rework. Not sure how you have them set up. If they are not directly a sample loop (ie if they are individual in drum rack or something then i would lengthen the attack on the open HH and crash to make them less abrassive, and also take them all down to match the kick and snare level, maybe bus all the drums to a compressor as well. or at least the high hat group...and consider re-eqing them as well. Interesting track for sure. Would listen again.

unrelated side note...while listening, this came up as related to you (via tags I guess...https://soundcloud.com/dirggerner) not normally into down tempo but this guy is pretty dang up my alley chord change wise and vocals.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you on the high hat and crash cymbals - at the levels things are at now, it's sometimes painful to listen to the "SHHH" of the high hat, and the crash takes way too much space within the mix. I am planning on selecting the best 3 to 5 of these acapella based tracks I've been working on and re-master/mix them to iron out some of these issues (and then re-release them as an album).

sofullofhate posted:

I appreciate the advice! I just began playing with pitch shifting vocals and I've noticed that things can sound distorted/funky if the pitch is altered too intensely. I sort of like it. Sometimes it can be obnoxious when vocals take center stage and they're distorted though, and I'd like to build my chops with sampling techniques to make it sound more natural.

I'm really digging "when explore as explorers". The sharp laser synth and airy high hats/shakers in the beginning mingle well to create a nice syncopated needly texture. Great work!

For me, it really picks up around 1:53. The melody makes me start to bob my head and the way the beat chugs forward consistently gives the song momentum. I love the progressive layering and the crescendo, and I wouldn't mind if it came even harder near the end. I would listen to this again.

Also: Dirg Gerner is one of my favorite artists at the moment, and some friends of mine who listen to my music turned me on to him. It's possible that you're being recommended it because they (and I) listen to him a lot.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Really digging the first one. It sounds like something you might hear in an underground level in a video game. That may or may not sound like a compliment to you, but it definitely is! :) I especially love the way you take the melody from the first half and build it into something completely different after the breakdown. Good stuff!

I like the second one as well, but I think it could stand to modulate a bit more. There are definitely parts where the the song eases up a little (like at 1:09 and 3:40) but the volume remains at the same level. It sounds a little bit brick-walled, is all I'm saying.

https://soundcloud.com/gravity-orchard/rain-tales

Here's a thing I'm working on. The melody came to me while I was noodling around yesterday and I really liked it. I wanted to record a rough version before it would slip from my memory. It probably doesn't sound as good as it could because my strings are old and hard to tune properly, but I hope you guys can still enjoy it. :ohdear:

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

Khomaniac posted:

Here's some stuff I do for fun, I wanted to try throw some mouth harp on something since it's pretty popular in folk metal these days, but my own style is, blackened speed/glam/thrash so it was a bit foreign to me. Not sure if this would get Celtic tribes psyched to ram a woad painted fist of freedom up the british oppressors rear end or not. Don't know if I am going to get around to finishing a full song, would probably nix the trem picking I threw over the other guitar part (Not that you can hear either of them! lovely demo mix, old strings.), I like the idea of making everything blackened, but throwing black metal trem picking over everything just results in cacophony most of the time. Mouth harp is fed into a guitar amp VST at the beginning, because I wanted kind of a talk box feel.

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-bockman/sounds-of-unadulterated

Edit: Was this thread solely for electronic music? Honestly can't tell, I read "sketches" as referring to anything in a demoing type state? If it is, this is terribly out of place and I apologize.

First one is kind of Tangerine Dream esque in parts. Dig it! I don't know what the standard for this kind of thing is or what you were going for, but I would definitely think a cool 80s feel with some distressor or cavernous delay/reverb on parts like the (Sawtooth I think? Haven't played with synths in a while.) synth in the beginning would be sick. Then again, maybe a more pristine kind of feel is desired for this kind of stuff.

Nice guitar sketch! I like how the delay creates offbeat rhythms and a psychedelic rock atmosphere near the end. The drums are a good start - I would like if they had a bit more oomph/groove to them. Also, as far as I am aware, this thread is for all kinds of music - we just happen to enjoy making electronica.

Here's another little hip hop/downtempo sketch made with an acapella:

http://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/dancing-in-september

squakMix fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 18, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

squakMix posted:

God drat this is great. Can you make some more of it please?

JordanKai posted:

https://soundcloud.com/gravity-orchard/rain-tales

Here's a thing I'm working on. The melody came to me while I was noodling around yesterday and I really liked it. I wanted to record a rough version before it would slip from my memory. It probably doesn't sound as good as it could because my strings are old and hard to tune properly, but I hope you guys can still enjoy it. :ohdear:

I really like this, even with the slightly old strings. Great tone. I think the delay overpowers the initial pluck a bit and the tune might benefit from turning it down a bit though.

So I did another thing in the same series as the last two:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/project-em-sketch-2013-01-27

As always, your rad feedback appreciated.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

I like the bassline that you have at the start, and the way that the textures keep being layered over it. That said, I think it goes on a little bit too long before a change is introduced, but this might be due more to my lack of familiarity with electronic music. The vocoder-type effect at 00:45 is really cool...it adds on almost-retro kind of sound to the mix, like something out of Blade Runner. I think it gets a little too crowded at 01:30; the effect you're introducing seems to come in too soon after the melody introduced at 01:21. The break at 02:15 works well - it lets the arrangement breathe a bit before introducing (reintroducing?) the other themes/melodies. The change in drums & bass at 04:22 help to envigorate things...it sounds to me that this would also be a good place to introduce a new melody as well. I think it would help to make the change more dramatic. Anyways, just a suggestion. Overall, it's a very good piece, very ambient, and with a great beat to boot.

I have something that I started off:

https://soundcloud.com/seventh-arrow/bm-sketch

It's still very embryonic. The drums are just ez drummer and will eventually be replaced by a real drummer. The guitar in the A section is slathered with effects, attempting to go for an Andy Summers/Midge Ure effect, for better or for worse. And of course, the B section will eventually get a melody.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I will put forward some useless opinions on some music!

squakMix posted:

I'm loving this. It reminds me of Pogo, who I love. I feel like making it longer you could get a trippy ambient club track. It works really well, is all I can say! Really needs to be longer, I think. Maybe with a trippy breakdown near the end? Or not, it works as is! I would definitely buy an album of this sort of thing. I bookmarked your SoundCloud if that means anything.

sofullofhate posted:

I always feel out of place here because although I dig electronic music I am so bad at talking about it. But I'll try. Okay, so, it feels like the intro song to a sci-fi take on James Bond. I'm having a bit of an opposite reaction with this one though, because it feels like it should be complete at around 3/4 of the way, to me. As an track, that is. If it was background music to a game or movie then the length is fine/could be longer. At the moment it sits in an area where it's a bit too long to keep you compelled but not long enough to be cool ambient sound. Good sound going for it though!

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's still very embryonic. The drums are just ez drummer and will eventually be replaced by a real drummer. The guitar in the A section is slathered with effects, attempting to go for an Andy Summers/Midge Ure effect, for better or for worse. And of course, the B section will eventually get a melody.

Very 80s! I expect power ballad lyrics to bust out and have a funky solo with a wah or something go nuts. The timing seemed a bit off at the beginning when the first melody line comes in. It ends a bit abruptly but that may just be me expecting the first part to jump back in before the end. It's a funky track though. You could easily make it more "modern" by upping the gain and making it a bit slower. But I dig the retro feel. An actual drummer would help but you know that already :)

I have two little tracks that I whipped up (You can see the initial ideas on my account but these are the ones I tweaked and then laid down quickly). No bass, no drums, no vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/a-day-breathing-in-space
Basically complete, but the band version (Not recorded) has a longer distortion end where it kinda fades out with the lick playing under. Lots of mistakes in these, I know. My main thing is whether the chorus is too cheesy. It seems almost over the top to me but everyone else seems to dig it.

https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/tsunami-take-3
This one I like the idea of but, ugh, the transitions are terrible. Also could be slower. This I know.

Thanks for any feedback!

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 10, 2014

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

I really dig this, the guitar seems a little off at times, but I liked the progressions and if I heard it on the radio I wouldn't immediately shut it off. Kinda catchy actually.

So here's the first riff I've ever written (been playing for about 5ish months) It's for a song that as it says on the page is called "....So Comes the Weeping" I'm kinda shooting for a Wolves in the Throne Room/Burzum kinda vibe, but sorta depressive doom as well, if that makes any kind of sense.

https://soundcloud.com/david-anders-jr/so-comes-the-weeping

There a several bits I should have probably taken out that I didn't. The effects were all added after I recorded it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haven't done one of these in a while. Here's something I whipped up in an hour after installing Ableton on my new computer. At first it sounded pretty much like other stuff I've made before, but then it took a turn and I'm sort of satisfied with where it ended up going. Though I'm thinking the kick/snare needs work and the arpeggiated square synth near the end might too. What do you guys think?

syntaxfunction posted:

I have two little tracks that I whipped up (You can see the initial ideas on my account but these are the ones I tweaked and then laid down quickly). No bass, no drums, no vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/a-day-breathing-in-space
Basically complete, but the band version (Not recorded) has a longer distortion end where it kinda fades out with the lick playing under. Lots of mistakes in these, I know. My main thing is whether the chorus is too cheesy. It seems almost over the top to me but everyone else seems to dig it.

https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/tsunami-take-3
This one I like the idea of but, ugh, the transitions are terrible. Also could be slower. This I know.

Thanks for any feedback!
These sound like earlier Explosions in the Sky stuff or something from a similar post-rock band. Well, A Day Breathing In Space moreso than Tsunami, but they both kinda do. They sound like they'd be great in a mix with bass and drums and maybe other guitar parts too, but the way they are now they feel kinda incomplete. I can't tell whether or not vocals would help songs like these. I'd probably have to hear the full band versions to decide.

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haven't done one of these in a while. Here's something I whipped up in an hour after installing Ableton on my new computer. At first it sounded pretty much like other stuff I've made before, but then it took a turn and I'm sort of satisfied with where it ended up going. Though I'm thinking the kick/snare needs work and the arpeggiated square synth near the end might too. What do you guys think?

There is some very interesting stuff going on here - I'm loving the heavy rock-ish drum part and progressive way you build up the layers. This is the kind of tune that gets my head nodding and sets the mood well. The soundscape slowly unfolds as layers are added, and I like how the track climaxes slowly between 2:00-3:00. I could see myself gaming or getting absorbed in something else while listening to this track.

Also, the intro is awesome! I wish the rest of the track had more use of the detuned synth pad that you start it with. If it's in the mix later I have a hard time hearing it.

Here's a little glitch hop/downtempo jam that I recently bounced together. I would appreciate any feedback/critiques! https://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/jam-space-time-stretch

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with this loop, but I think I've got something good on my hands. What should I do with this next? I was thinking a textural/fast part would contrast nicely with this slow sloppy groove, and perhaps a long, aqueous buildup (with tons of reverb and autofilter) would make the beat especially satisfying to hear when it drops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

mofolotopo posted:

e: I also just spent the day messing around with this classicalish thing:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/abandonment-dream

It has lyrics, but I haven't recorded them yet.

Thanks for the comments on this, everybody! I actually got asked to do an orchestral arrangement of it for a film about salmon spawning. That's here if anyone wants to hear it:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/abandonment-dream-variation-1

I've basically been making myself go into the studio for a few hours each week just to bash out some random sounds - forcing myself to "sketch" more. I've got a bunch of them sitting around now.

Slow dancing with a robot:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/how-did-you-know-sketch

Diddling with Samplewiz and some samples from my mom's old piano:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/whump-1

DRAMA!

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/damaged-canjo

And a couple of very upbeat, somewhat funky things:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/disco-twirl

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/feels-so-good

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 26, 2014

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

squakMix posted:

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with this loop, but I think I've got something good on my hands. What should I do with this next? I was thinking a textural/fast part would contrast nicely with this slow sloppy groove, and perhaps a long, aqueous buildup (with tons of reverb and autofilter) would make the beat especially satisfying to hear when it drops.

I really like this. Have you tried it with a bit of reverb on the whole mix? Not a lot, just a tad. Not sure if that would sound better, but if it were my thing I'd give it a try.

This is cool, but the high end seems a bit too brittle and abrasive. May be my speakers, though.

squakMix posted:

Here's a little glitch hop/downtempo jam that I recently bounced together. I would appreciate any feedback/critiques! https://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/jam-space-time-stretch

I like both of the parts of this, but I feel like they each go on too long. Can you bounce between the two, saw sixteen bars with the vocal loop and eight without, or something like that? Or otherwise just mix it up a bit? Caveat: you might want to ignore my opinion, I do have the attention span of a fruit fly.

sofullofhate posted:

This is really, really nice. Flows very well, and keeps the mood while still mixing things up enough to stay interesting.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 26, 2014

Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate
The arrangement was pretty neat. Some of the harmonies remind me of some sort of Zelda-game, actually. The strings sound fine-ish, and it has a pretty logical progression with some nice drum touches later on. Cool change of pace at 2:40. I have to say that the horns sound kinda bad though, although you shouldn't feel too bad about that since horns are hard as gently caress to find good samples for. As a whole it sounds a bit midi, but that's just because of the quality of the samples. A very relaxed and likable arrangement.

Could remind me of some slow Caravan Palace song, or something. Good sounding piano and a relaxed and old timey atmosphere.

Not gonna comment directly on the rest, but I did listen to it, and I really like your harmonic choices. Mostly very chill and with a very solid harmonic foundation. Very very cool stuff.

As for me, I finished this song recently, but I wasn't super happy with it after a while, so I have decided to redo it quite a bit. Thought I'd just post it here to get some feedback on what should change. It's a bit repetitive, and I'm considering changing some chord patterns there. I originally meant to vamp on three chords, and I really liked it at the time, but I'm not very happy with it a week after I posted it first.

Nostalgia flavoured upbeat bubblegum-video game music.
https://soundcloud.com/knofle/knofle-elegy-to-games-gone-by/comment-165354770

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Knofle posted:

I have to say that the horns sound kinda bad though, although you shouldn't feel too bad about that since horns are hard as gently caress to find good samples for. As a whole it sounds a bit midi, but that's just because of the quality of the samples. A very relaxed and likable arrangement.

Yeah, I agree completely about the horns. I have two nice single-horn libraries I like a lot (a trumpet and a flugelhorn), but the rest of them are the stock Kontakt horns. Even those could be made better with a bit more arrangement (natural pauses for breath, etc.), which I swear I will eventually get around to working on.

Thanks for your comments!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Knofle posted:

As for me, I finished this song recently, but I wasn't super happy with it after a while, so I have decided to redo it quite a bit. Thought I'd just post it here to get some feedback on what should change. It's a bit repetitive, and I'm considering changing some chord patterns there. I originally meant to vamp on three chords, and I really liked it at the time, but I'm not very happy with it a week after I posted it first.

Nostalgia flavoured upbeat bubblegum-video game music.
https://soundcloud.com/knofle/knofle-elegy-to-games-gone-by/comment-165354770

Love the intro. Love the bassline as it comes in at ~0:30! Love the drums and incidentals! It loses a bit of power in the 1:40 range but it gets right back on track after the buildup. It is making me bob my head and smile. So you pretty much nailed that. Needs some more interesting change-ups / layers in the middle maybe? Otherwise it's really lovely and clean and well done.

squakMix posted:

I'm loving it, and just as I'm finding it a bit too repetitive (around 1:00) you mix it up nicely. The breakdown is good, but the build-up is a bit jarring for me because everything kind of changes at once. Could you keep some element from the first bit to distract me from everything that's changing? Because the second movement is really beautiful and sparse and nicely executed. Just the transition didn't really work for me.

When this got going (1:10) it really, really made me happy in that fizzy root kind of way that James May talks about. It took a bit longer to get there than I wanted, but drat what a nice 1:30 after that. The beat starts to get a little monotonous after a couple of minutes so some changing it up would probably be useful given how high in the mix it sits. I'd be tempted to play with ducking the mix under the kick too, it feels like a track that might really get some energy from that kind of harsh pumping.

And then for me, it's new sketch o'clock: it's a sketch, bitches :science: - your feedback appreciated as always.

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

sofullofhate posted:

I'm loving it, and just as I'm finding it a bit too repetitive (around 1:00) you mix it up nicely. The breakdown is good, but the build-up is a bit jarring for me because everything kind of changes at once. Could you keep some element from the first bit to distract me from everything that's changing? Because the second movement is really beautiful and sparse and nicely executed. Just the transition didn't really work for me.

I really like the groove you settle into around 1:30 and around 2:00 when the detuned wailing synth comes in I think "gently caress yeah" and can't help but start nodding my head. This evolves into an interesting, open, radioactive (?) soundscape that I wish you continued to develop - I can imagine a fast drum part fitting well with this groove and there's tons of potential ways you could make it climax in cool ways.

The intro is a bit harsh; consider starting with something more subtle and dropping the heavier beat after building up to it.

I think you've got an enjoyable piece on your hands. Just fix up the intro a bit and it will flow better and hook listeners in more to get to the real great parts.

As for me, I just did a little glitch edit jam/experiment and it turned out very weird. Think Aphex Twin: https://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/bathroom-glitch-machine

I think the intro is currently too weird, and the end is abrupt. I would also like the glitch edits in the beginning to fit with the groove better, but I'm overall happy with the experiment.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

squakMix posted:

I really like the groove you settle into around 1:30 and around 2:00 when the detuned wailing synth comes in I think "gently caress yeah" and can't help but start nodding my head. This evolves into an interesting, open, radioactive (?) soundscape that I wish you continued to develop - I can imagine a fast drum part fitting well with this groove and there's tons of potential ways you could make it climax in cool ways.

The intro is a bit harsh; consider starting with something more subtle and dropping the heavier beat after building up to it.

I think you've got an enjoyable piece on your hands. Just fix up the intro a bit and it will flow better and hook listeners in more to get to the real great parts.

As for me, I just did a little glitch edit jam/experiment and it turned out very weird. Think Aphex Twin: https://soundcloud.com/the-lambda-calculus/bathroom-glitch-machine

I think the intro is currently too weird, and the end is abrupt. I would also like the glitch edits in the beginning to fit with the groove better, but I'm overall happy with the experiment.

Thanks dude, that's great feedback and I'm going to post another version of that sketch after I work it in.

Your sketch is rad. And given how much I like it overall I'm going to get super super nitpicky in my feedback:

1. The snare in the first movement needs to be bigger, even if still quiet. It's too weak for the genre you're working in. Compress the poo poo out of it, put a parallel octave divider in, something. it needs meat.
2. It's divine in the 1.00 mark. Nailed it.
3. In the 1.30 area, put some big wide stereo effect in there to smear the ends of everything across the image. DO IT.
4. God drat, make more of this.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

mofolotopo posted:

Slow dancing with a robot:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/how-did-you-know-sketch

Diddling with Samplewiz and some samples from my mom's old piano:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/whump-1

I'm listening to How Did You Know right now and I'm really digging the far off sounding percussion, the huge reverberant banging, the static, and everything. Very Tom Waits-y. One thing that I thought might be a cool addition is to have some worn tape wow and flutter in the horns as they sound just a bit more pristine than everything else. Even if it was just for a moment that it wavered, I think it would match well with the weathered aesthetic.

And now I'm listening to Whump. I'm digging the pitch shifting on the strings. I dunno if they're VSTi strings or samples, but I think the pitch shifting does well to embrace that these are not natural strings at least in the context of the song. Very cool.

Also, squakmix, I'm digging your stuff. I really liked Dancing in September. I want to get to the point where a lot of you are where you have a large degree of complexity in your pieces and yet everything has a place both in the mix and in space. Anyway, I really liked it.

So here is something I threw together over a couple hours and a couple beers last night. I've been trying to get over my anxiety of making music by just chilling out and playing around and so far I've really enjoyed some of the stuff I've come up with. I haven't done much with synths, sampling, or composing electronic music before, so the process is new and fun and intimidating, but I hope you guys like this little tune I put together. Any comments would be great.

https://soundcloud.com/photozoan/creepy-crawlies

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks! With respect to Whump, it depends on which stringy sounds you're talking about. The sorta weird sounding bits (like at the start) are actually a heavily manipulated piano and melodica in the iOs app Samplewiz - pitch shifted and with the attack rolled off. The ones that are more clearly actual strings are Embertone's Blakus Cello and Friedlander Violin.

Good point on the horns on the other thing, I'll give it a shot!

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

sofullofhate posted:

Thanks dude, that's great feedback and I'm going to post another version of that sketch after I work it in.

Your sketch is rad. And given how much I like it overall I'm going to get super super nitpicky in my feedback:

1. The snare in the first movement needs to be bigger, even if still quiet. It's too weak for the genre you're working in. Compress the poo poo out of it, put a parallel octave divider in, something. it needs meat.
2. It's divine in the 1.00 mark. Nailed it.
3. In the 1.30 area, put some big wide stereo effect in there to smear the ends of everything across the image. DO IT.
4. God drat, make more of this.

Work has been demanding my time for the last few days so I haven't been able to work on music as much as I'd like, but I really appreciate the specific critiques! I think you've got some great ideas and I'm going to play with them over the next couple of days. When I have another version I'll toss it on tindeck and send it over to you.

Ratbones posted:

Also, squakmix, I'm digging your stuff. I really liked Dancing in September. I want to get to the point where a lot of you are where you have a large degree of complexity in your pieces and yet everything has a place both in the mix and in space. Anyway, I really liked it.

Cheers, thanks for having a listen! You're already creating some great complex stuff with panning/frequency placement - I think you just need to keep doing what you're doing and experiment with more layers. One straightforward way to find a good place for everything in a mix is to think of the auido as existing within a 2 dimensional space with frequency on the y axis and panning (left/right speaker distribution) on the x axis. If every channel has a distinct spot in that space, it tends to be easier to hear the characteristics of each part.

Ratbones posted:

So here is something I threw together over a couple hours and a couple beers last night. I've been trying to get over my anxiety of making music by just chilling out and playing around and so far I've really enjoyed some of the stuff I've come up with. I haven't done much with synths, sampling, or composing electronic music before, so the process is new and fun and intimidating, but I hope you guys like this little tune I put together. Any comments would be great.

This is really neat - I'm loving the glitch effect on the drums, and the way you use a filter to modulate them keeps it interesting over time. I'm enjoying the intro as well - did you make that synth patch or was it done with presets? The bassline is cool, and I would like to hear more with that patch. It would be nice if the pattern played by the bass changed up at some point. You're doing things right and I think if you add more layers and develop your tracks more you'll create some very enjoyable stuff (not that you aren't already).

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Ratbones posted:

Really chill tune -- I like it a lot. Especially right when the bass line starts in the beginning, it really ties it all together. I think the track loses a bit of that awesome, piercing ambiance somewhere in the middle when there's more stuff going on, but still has good vibes all the way through. I wish I knew more about music to hit you with legit music terminology, but yeah, good stuff.

I play my guitar to unwind, and recently I've been trying to work out a few tracks for a video game project I'm working on. Actually composing music is a huge stretch for me, and I only have tentative knowledge of piecing together a song, so everything is going to be acoustic guitar based since that's the only instrument I can play. This truly is a sketch, pardon the quality (literally my cellphone). I tried to go for the "Starting Village" or "First Level" feel in oldschool NES/SNES games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABt8FUyUeVA

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 19, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Well hey, haven't visited this thread since my life got too busy to pick up my instruments (which was around page 3). Still don't have time to do anything new, but felt like checking in.

Hopefully I'll have some time to record some new stuff by next month or so...

sofullofhate posted:

it's a sketch, bitches :science: - your feedback appreciated as always.

I really dig your sound (checked out a few other tracks, followed you just now). I feel like this sketch could benefit from a little more of an ambient, or "full" sound. As it is now, I can hear each synth clearly, but everything seems so separate that it needs something to pull it together. Maybe a more driving bassline or something. Although, I usually need everything turned up to 11, so maybe it's just a more downplayed than I'm used to.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Baldbeard posted:

Really chill tune -- I like it a lot. Especially right when the bass line starts in the beginning, it really ties it all together. I think the track loses a bit of that awesome, piercing ambiance somewhere in the middle when there's more stuff going on, but still has good vibes all the way through. I wish I knew more about music to hit you with legit music terminology, but yeah, good stuff.

I play my guitar to unwind, and recently I've been trying to work out a few tracks for a video game project I'm working on. Actually composing music is a huge stretch for me, and I only have tentative knowledge of piecing together a song, so everything is going to be acoustic guitar based since that's the only instrument I can play. This truly is a sketch, pardon the quality (literally my cellphone). I tried to go for the "Starting Village" or "First Level" feel in oldschool NES/SNES games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABt8FUyUeVA
I like the feel. I think the parts without any hard stops don't really feel right, for some reason, but it's pretty nice overall.

So I posted this in GBS but it's the first fragment of my first song, and it's a simple chord progression I recorded. C-E-Dm-G7-G is what I've got there. Any thoughts?
https://soundcloud.com/euphoria5l/chord-progression-sample

To add more content, I stumbled across this progression I like, but in both GBS and from friends I've heard some feedback stating that the E+Dm doesn't exactly work. I'm not sure I agree but that's what it looks like bothers people.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 25, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I like the feel. I think the parts without any hard stops don't really feel right, for some reason, but it's pretty nice overall.

So I posted this in GBS but it's the first fragment of my first song, and it's a simple chord progression I recorded. C-E-Dm-G7-G is what I've got there. Any thoughts?
https://soundcloud.com/euphoria5l/chord-progression-sample

To add more content, I stumbled across this progression I like, but in both GBS and from friends I've heard some feedback stating that the E+Dm doesn't exactly work. I'm not sure I agree but that's what it looks like bothers people.

Well, the playing is kinda sloppy, but the chord progression itself isn't really controversial. E is just a substitute for the C chord, except the G# in the chord makes it like a C augmented. So it's sort of as if you were going C - C aug - Dm - G7, which is pretty typical. The G# in the E chord resolves up to the A in the Dm, the E resolves to the F and the B...doesn't really go anywhere, but if you made it Dm7, it would resolve up to the C. Anyways, enough theory - the chord progression is decent enough, maybe just clean up the presentation a bit. It's hard to tell what kind of a feel you're going for - which is the kind of thing that your comping style should accommodate. For example, those kinds of chord progressions are common in tin pan alley standards, so if that's what you're trying for then your comping style should be more of a strum on every beat kind of thing. Or if you want it to be more folky, then the strumming should be smoother, etc.

Here's something I've been dabbling with. It will eventually get a vocal melody and drums that aren't EZ Drummer, but for now, I think the groove is pretty neat.

https://soundcloud.com/seventh-arrow/only-so-much-time-in-the-world

edit: I should really say "leads" rather than "resolves"

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 25, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah, it was kinda sloppy (and obviously I'll fix that up) but thanks for the feedback. No idea where I'm going with this but I'm going somewhere.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Seventh Arrow posted:

Here's something I've been dabbling with. It will eventually get a vocal melody and drums that aren't EZ Drummer, but for now, I think the groove is pretty neat.

https://soundcloud.com/seventh-arrow/only-so-much-time-in-the-world

edit: I should really say "leads" rather than "resolves"
There's some weird panning going on with the guitars that makes my brain hurt and sounds kinda off the beat. Also, I'd recommend trying switching the backbeat-part-pacing of the bass with the "verse" so you go duuuuun during the backbeat and dundundun during the verse instead (sorry, I don't know how to explain that in english >_>) because it sounds kinda busy during the backbeat part right now. Digging the whole 70's vibe to it though :)

Ratbones posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and echo the others here; really enjoyed the mood in this. I like the way you did the drum reverb/delay thingie.

I just threw money at an orchestral plug and had to make the most epic song ever. Still trying to get the hang of all the instruments and how to arrange them so I kind of failed, I guess. If anybody got any sweet links to some orchestrating/movie music making, please send them all my way!
https://soundcloud.com/fourtalkingwalls/et-noctes-deus-n-vafan-ingen

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Imaginary Friend posted:

I just threw money at an orchestral plug and had to make the most epic song ever. Still trying to get the hang of all the instruments and how to arrange them so I kind of failed, I guess. If anybody got any sweet links to some orchestrating/movie music making, please send them all my way!

This is cool, man. Kinda has a Danny Elfman flavor to it. I am really bad at using string samples, but I feel like if you could make the attack a little longer on the main section, it would make them sound more natural. And possibly randomizing the velocity a bit. I think the arrangement sounds good, though. A bit basic, but there's nothing wrong with that, especially just starting out. I love the sound of the woodwinds early on there. More of that. :)

Here's something new I whipped up last night and today. Bit of a spacey, groovin' rock thing with some cool rhythms and harmonies. Still working on the mix and arrangement, and going to add vocals eventually. If anyone has any thoughts on what I could change, especially regarding the ending, I'd love to hear them!

Aqua Regia

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Here's something new I whipped up last night and today. Bit of a spacey, groovin' rock thing with some cool rhythms and harmonies. Still working on the mix and arrangement, and going to add vocals eventually. If anyone has any thoughts on what I could change, especially regarding the ending, I'd love to hear them!

Aqua Regia

This was very interesting to listen to. I like how the stop-start figure from the rhythm section gives it a quirky sort of feel - but then the melody notes come in, giving it a sort of minor tonality. It totally turns the mood of the song on its head, but in a cool way. My major complaint is that it really needs some variety...the drum pattern changes at about 1:40 and a few minutes from the end it sounds like it either modulates or changes key, but it needs something less busy. Maybe toss in a bridge section with sustained chords or something. The bass could also be a bit more punchy. The ending was good - to the point, without an excess of noodling. Overall, it's really got potential, it just seems like it could use a bit of variety in the middle.

Here's a few things I've been messing around with; I'm not even sure how to categorize them. Although I listen to lots of prog, I haven't gone full-on with writing 12 minute songs in 7/8. I like the chord progression in the second one, the first bit goes | Cadd9 | Cm/Eb | Cadd9/D | Bb7 | Cadd9 | Cm/Eb | Cadd9/D | Fm11 | then the second part goes | F# F#/A# | B B/D C# |

https://soundcloud.com/seventh-arrow/dm-triplet-thing

https://soundcloud.com/seventh-arrow/csus-to-f

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Seventh Arrow posted:

This was very interesting to listen to. I like how the stop-start figure from the rhythm section gives it a quirky sort of feel - but then the melody notes come in, giving it a sort of minor tonality. It totally turns the mood of the song on its head, but in a cool way. My major complaint is that it really needs some variety...the drum pattern changes at about 1:40 and a few minutes from the end it sounds like it either modulates or changes key, but it needs something less busy. Maybe toss in a bridge section with sustained chords or something. The bass could also be a bit more punchy. The ending was good - to the point, without an excess of noodling. Overall, it's really got potential, it just seems like it could use a bit of variety in the middle.

Sweet, thanks for the tips! That helps a lot, I'll definitely throw in another section, maybe after the first chorus, and change up the drums some more.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Imaginary Friend posted:

After the ramp it has this sort of quirky, game-like sound to it. Like Ratchet and Clank I guess? It's actually quite a nice surprise, since I was expecting some droll kinda crap like when I use orchestral samples. As another has said, I'd suggest varying the velocities on the strings a little more just to make them sound a little more human.

Here's some piano and bass thing I did, it's a re-dressing of a chiptune I did a while ago and I'm not quite done with it. I've heard it's a little quiet?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Noyemi K posted:

After the ramp it has this sort of quirky, game-like sound to it. Like Ratchet and Clank I guess? It's actually quite a nice surprise, since I was expecting some droll kinda crap like when I use orchestral samples. As another has said, I'd suggest varying the velocities on the strings a little more just to make them sound a little more human.

Here's some piano and bass thing I did, it's a re-dressing of a chiptune I did a while ago and I'm not quite done with it. I've heard it's a little quiet?

The reverb on the drums is a little distracting and the lowest note of the bass line gets a bit lost in the mix. It doesn't strike me as especially quiet though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Declan MacManus posted:

The reverb on the drums is a little distracting and the lowest note of the bass line gets a bit lost in the mix. It doesn't strike me as especially quiet though.

Ah, I see. Would you suggest dialling-back the reverb or just removing it all together? I think I made the mistake of putting all the instruments on the same bus, so the excessive reverb would kind of muddle everything.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You have a few options. You can gate the reverb, you can use individual buses and mix it by ear, or you can sidechain the reverb and adjust the threshold so that only the snare and kick end up reverberating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Imaginary Friend posted:

These sounds are really convincing. Color me impressed. You do a terrific job building tension at around 0:23, with the diminished chord and the introduction of the woodwinds, and 0:28 is pretty cathartic for it. I think the goofy 8-bit lead instrument that comes in is too loud right when it comes in. It's an abrasive enough instrument (and textured differently enough from the rest of your soundscape) that I'm already focused on it without it being so loud. It seems like it retreats some as that section progresses, and that's where I feel like it belongs. Ditto for the second iteration of that melody. That said, what a wonderful experiment. Great way to break in your new toy, and I look forward to hearing more in this vein.

Here's two things from me that I've been loving with for a couple weeks, trying to stretch into full songs for my band, but at the same time I'm kind of attached to these short little sketches. Any feedback is helpful, but I'm not really so concerned with mixing/production issues, since these are truly the sketchiest of sketches. I'm more interested in ideas for developing the songs:

https://soundcloud.com/the-furniture/cracks-in-the-blinds
https://soundcloud.com/the-furniture/try-standing-still

• Locked thread