Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I did an entire playthrough with it instead of the plasma cutter.)

AAAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAGH!

In all seriousness, probably so, if just to show off how bad it is.

The really funny thing is that it's part of one of the nastiest weapons in Dead Space 3, but that's a story for another time.

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SaigonTimeMD posted:

AAAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAGH!

In all seriousness, probably so, if just to show off how bad it is.

The really funny thing is that it's part of one of the nastiest weapons in Dead Space 3, but that's a story for another time.

See, there is horror in the Dead Space games. You just have to make it yourself.
:suicide:

I set out to prove to myself that ANY gun could be fun with enough powernodes shoved into it. I took the Rivet Gun from store 1 to the final boss, it's not fun unless you like randomly blowing out windows with random ricochets. (though on the plus side it's probably the best gun for hitting the emergency targets when you blow out a window with a random ricochet)

I honestly suggest just to show it off you start a new game, don't waste money/power nodes/time on your current LP playthrough for that thing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Alkydere posted:

it's not fun unless you like randomly blowing out windows with random ricochets.

So it's about as "useful" as Static Discharge in Bioshock.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
A WILD UPDATE APPROACHES

TEXT LOGS

- Get Us Some Answers
- Snag
- Thruster Hint (Unplayed)
- Progress Report
- Personal Log: Howard Phillips
- Howard Phillips Hint (Unplayed)
- Personal Log: Howard Phillips (466)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I wish they'd made the chapter titles spell a message here like they did in the other two games. I know they were kind of rushed, but it was a nice touch.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I wish they'd made the chapter titles spell a message here like they did in the other two games. I know they were kind of rushed, but it was a nice touch.

Yeah, it's a little sad - you don't even get to find out what the chapter titles ARE unless you actually look them up.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The Force Gun is my favorite weapon in the game. Gibbing a Necromorph across the room is just so satisfying.
Also: More happy engineering times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nuramor posted:

The Force Gun is my favorite weapon in the game. Gibbing a Necromorph across the room is just so satisfying.
Also: More happy engineering times.

The Force Gun is a Newtownion Shotgun of Hate with a small Contact Beam hidden in it.

The Contact Beam is a focused blast of Newtonian Hate with an AOE shockwave attack.

If you know what you're doing you can go through the entire game with only one of these guns to cover both long and short range. One just does one or the other better.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, once you get the Force Gun the game goes from Dirty SciFi EventHorizon-Alien Horror (never was much of a horror game, as has been discussed) to Issac the Heavily Armed Stompy Badass. As if the Ripper wasn't enough. (I love this game.)

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Force gun was one of my favorites in the first game and it somehow feels even better in the second. Having it tricked out made the last boss a joke without ever needing to switch to another weapon. Secondary fire is sweet for hitting a line of enemies for great damage, but it's the knock back in either mode that buys you those critical seconds you always need. Even if you don't kill them in one hit, sending them flying away lets you follow up with a secondary fire shot, a TK pole toss, etc.

Even powered up I never found the flamethrower that good. Seemed only handy against a few small and weak enemies, and there was always the force gun for that.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS UPDATE TO BRING YOU THIS UPDATE

TEXT LOGS

- Step 1
- Mainframe Fuses Hint (Unplayed)

Changelog

- Added the Divider to the Bestiary

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That is a nice holographic butt you have there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nope, nothing bad happens if you screw up the puzzles in the mainframe. The key pieces just stay red and don't work.

Edit: Serves me right for not finishing the video before chatting. Seriously, you missed Peng. The one secret room in the entire game, and you missed it.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 9, 2013

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, dear, it looks like we're not getting PENG this time around. But that's OK, because ANTI just seems really unhelpful in the first place. No wonder Howard went crazy.

Or too much time around animals and not enough around people. I know that feeling.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fact that like a hundred loving necromorphs somehow made it up hundreds of stories into what is essentially the most remote part of the Titan station is kind of annoying to me still. You could've had a pretty good you vs. easily-hateable unintentionally evil AI thing going with a more legitimately creepy atmosphere but nah can't go for like 5 minutes without surprise necromorph attacks!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
But Necromorphs are scary, they're made of dead people :ghost:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Fabricated posted:

The fact that like a hundred loving necromorphs somehow made it up hundreds of stories into what is essentially the most remote part of the Titan station is kind of annoying to me still. You could've had a pretty good you vs. easily-hateable unintentionally evil AI thing going with a more legitimately creepy atmosphere but nah can't go for like 5 minutes without surprise necromorph attacks!

You know, if it were only the little crawling things, made out of bird biomass, it would have made sense. But nope, this was just a point of 'jump scare and necros here' in favour of actual thought into the level design here.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, that computer has a sick case. Look at all those fans! Also it kinda reminds me a bit of the computer from Event Horizon:

EDIT:

Oh, you said that in the video. Oh, well!

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 9, 2013

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dinictus posted:

You know, if it were only the little crawling things, made out of bird biomass, it would have made sense. But nope, this was just a point of 'jump scare and necros here' in favour of actual thought into the level design here.
Also unlike the Ishimura, you were there when the poo poo first hit the fan. It's only been hours since the outbreak. The necromorphs gravitate towards living things to kill them so you'd think they'd have ignored the solar array and went for the easier meat, but I guess they really wanted a piece of the ONE guy who was up there!

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
I MISSED PENG SO DON'T MISS THIS UPDATE

Sorry dudes and dudettes, it completely slipped my mind. I even had a "huh, what's that for? Oh well, probably nothing," moment when I walked past the secret panel key. WHOOPS.

loving Skyrim.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

SaigonTimeMD posted:

I MISSED PENG SO DON'T MISS THIS UPDATE

Sorry dudes and dudettes, it completely slipped my mind. I even had a "huh, what's that for? Oh well, probably nothing," moment when I walked past the secret panel key. WHOOPS.

loving Skyrim.

OK, now I'm feeling better. But I wonder, do any of the other sidegames from Dead Space have PENG in them?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

A well made lets play, started watching today, already on episode 6. It's a shame it has so little views.

I wish I wasn't so scared to play dead space, bought the first game on sale for 5€ and played for about 30 minutes. At least I've got lets plays to watch. :woop:

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

OK, now I'm feeling better. But I wonder, do any of the other sidegames from Dead Space have PENG in them?

Aside from DS/1/2/3, it appears in Dead Space: Severed and Dead Space Mobile if I remember right.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Re: Peng... I tend to think of it as candy, for some reason. Pez-like candy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

But Necromorphs are scary, they're made of dead people :ghost:

The Necros aren't a bad idea, being hideous mutated monstrosities made out of nearly anyone, but they're not used that well for horror.

With just a little tweaking the horror would be a lot more visceral. Issac could be armed with tools that are clearly not designed for combat, forcing him to pick his battles. He could gradually improve on the tools by modding them until they behave as they do here (both making things more dangerous for the player and showing Issac's ingenuity) over the course of the game instead of the engineer being armed the most horribly unsafe tools this side of Black & Decker's legal division from the start. Obviously this would necessitate fewer Necromorphs, at least at the start, but I think they could compensate by tossing in something like the Hunter to stalk Issac and force him to run for most of the game to keep up the tension with the number of regular necros slowly increasing over time. Issac should also be more isolated so the player doesn't have chattering team-members breaking the immersion all the time.

As for the Necromorps themselves, they could have more varied tactics than "play dead followed by roar and stab/smash/spit/shoot/split". They could even have units that work together and hint that they have some twisted intelligence behind them. Visually, I'd rather they stick to more clearly defined human remains instead of merging them into nearly unrecognizable masses of meat and bone. Their shrieks and roars could be replaced with more human-sounding groaning/screaming and movements be more spastic than fluid to make them more unnerving.

It just take the designers treating the series as more of a horror game than a third person shooter with uglier monsters and cat scares.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 10, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

The Necros aren't a bad idea, being hideous mutated monstrosities made out of nearly anyone, but they're not used that well for horror.

With just a little tweaking the horror would be a lot more visceral. Issac could be armed with tools that are clearly not designed for combat, forcing him to pick his battles. He could gradually improve on the tools by modding them until they behave as they do here (both making things more dangerous for the player and showing Issac's ingenuity) over the course of the game instead of the engineer being armed the most horribly unsafe tools this side of Black & Decker's legal division from the start. Obviously this would necessitate fewer Necromorphs, at least at the start, but I think they could compensate by tossing in something like the Hunter to stalk Issac and force him to run for most of the game to keep up the tension with the number of regular necros slowly increasing over time. Issac should also be more isolated so the player doesn't have chattering team-members breaking the immersion all the time.

As for the Necromorps themselves, they could have more varied tactics than "play dead followed by roar and stab/smash/spit/shoot/split". They could even have units that work together and hint that they have some twisted intelligence behind them. Visually, I'd rather they stick to more clearly defined human remains instead of merging them into nearly unrecognizable masses of meat and bone. Their shrieks and roars could be replaced with more human-sounding groaning/screaming and movements be more spastic than fluid to make them more unnerving.

It just take the designers treating the series as more of a horror game than a third person shooter with uglier monsters and cat scares.

You should definitely not play Dead Space 3.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Geostomp posted:

Eh, they just decided to make fun combat over making it more survival horror-y. I don't know why everyone expects this to be Silent Hill in space. You just shoot monsters, that's all the series has ever been.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

You should definitely not play Dead Space 3.

Pneub posted:

Eh, they just decided to make fun combat over making it more survival horror-y. I don't know why everyone expects this to be Silent Hill in space. You just shoot monsters, that's all the series has ever been.

I get that, I was just saying what they could do to make the game scarier in response to someone else.

Edit: For the record, I really didn't like what they did for Dead Space 3. Not the much the gameplay as the really annoying, generic Hollywood-style plot elements and characters they tossed in.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 10, 2013

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
I FOUGHT THE UPDATE AND THE UPDATE WON

TEXT LOGS (and there's a lot of'em)

- Arrays Out Of Alignment
- Having Problems
- Solar Array Aligned
- Solar Array HALO Exit
- Where Are You
- Into The Fire 1/5
- Into The Fire 2/5
- Into The Fire 3/5
- Into The Fire 4/5
- Into The Fire 5/5
- Arranging Rendezvous

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yessss the mile-high super stomp may be my favorite part in the game. If only there happened to be a necromorph directly under that vent Issac comes back into the station through.... ha ha, you stay away from the vents, biological space monstrosities!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yessss the mile-high super stomp may be my favorite part in the game. If only there happened to be a necromorph directly under that vent Issac comes back into the station through.... ha ha, you stay away from the vents, biological space monstrosities!

That would seriously be the only way to make that sequence even more awesome. Well, ok, maybe having someone actually living going "Holy poo poo, that was AWESOME!" or the like, then falling into a dead faint out of Issac Clark's pure badass, but that's subjective.

The launch scene still is one of my favorite 'setpiece' sequences in the entire game, because it just makes you feel like an absolute badass when you do it.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
WELCOME TO WEEKEND UPDATE WITH SAIGONTIME, M.D.

TEXT LOGS

- Ellie's Story 1
- Ellie's Story 2

Changelog

- Added the Vintage Suit to the RIGs section

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 6, 2013

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I don't really think I want to see necromorph bunny rabbits, Saigon. They multiply fast enough as it is.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
Yeah, I guess that'd be pretty unpleasant. At least you could make a Python joke as you get ripped to pieces?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm pretty sure Monty Python and the Holy Grail showed us what a necromorph rabbit would be capable of.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the Vintage Suit- I always just feel safer with that big ol' bulky thing on.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, the Vintage Suit- I always just feel safer with that big ol' bulky thing on.

Well technically you ARE safer. A little bit, at least.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SaigonTimeMD posted:

Well technically you ARE safer. A little bit, at least.

At this point in the game I suppose so! The store discount is still baffling to me though.

"Oh man, that suit looks so cool. You get a discount."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Force Gun + Contact Beam. Awwwright. :black101: Since you really haven't shown them off, it's not apparent that these two weapons and yin and yang and make a very balanced pair. Force Gun has a shotgun cone of Newtonian Graviton gently caress You as a primary fire, but then has a focused beam for alt fire. Contact Beam's main attack is the Force Gun's main fire turned up to 11 but with a slight delay, and the alt-fire is a very useful AOE ring around Isaac. That alt-fire gets a very, VERY sexy bonus when upgraded that I'm totally not going to spoil for those who haven't played. The two together can honestly cover 99% of Isaac's needs.

As for the Line Gun? It's definitely nice, but kinda boring really. I've never really been able to use the timed mine very effectively, and the Ripper's alt-fire does most of what the Line Gun does. There's also the fact that the Line Racks have an infuriatingly small stack size.

Edit: and the Vintage Suit (and the DLC version of it, the Bloody Suit) are my favorite looking suits in the game besides the absolutely broken reskin of the police suit you get for beating the game. The Vintage suit just looks so beefy and safe.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Every time you complain about how weak the force gun is because you haven't upgraded it yet, I keep saying "Alt Fire" to my screen. Even if it doesn't kill something in one hit, it throws them out of face rape range and forces them to stand up.

Hoping you'll get some good show off moves with the contact beam. That thing could plow through most bosses with ease if they just let you have a few seconds of freedom. The line gun was more useful in the first game where there were a lot of catwalks and straight paths where you could leg sweep an entire horde at once. DS2 has a lot more obstacles, sloping paths, and feels a bit more close quarters to not let it shine as much.

• Locked thread