Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ahhhh yeeahh. I like the setting of DS 2- obviously won't spoil anything here but it's fun to go traipsing about different environments than a dirty old Alien/Event Horizon-Ship while twisted mockeries of the human form attempt to slaughter you. Great lighting effects, too. Can't wait!

I also love Issac's "engineering" in this game.

"Hacking? Just jam your hand up in all them wires and fiddle around with it, it's bound to work!"

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One of the things that always kills the dire mood in this game is when you have the occasion to walk through a gigantic pile of dismembered Necromorphs and the game plays that flopping noise for all of the individual body parts that you move by walking through them. Then sometimes one gets sorta hung up on Issac's leg and follows you around like toilet paper caught on someone's shoe.

*flop flop flop flop flop*

"Ah, dammit."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How does Stross keep surviving on Titan? He has neither a protective suit or any weapons- and he is also not Issac Clarke. Maybe the Necromorphs are weirded out by his crazy talk and just leave him alone?

"Have you heard about The Marker??!?"

"Whoa there, eaaaasy freak."

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 25, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Re: Singing

It went on long enough for me to laugh, cringe, and then laugh again. It went around the world, so to speak. Try working in some upbeat show tunes, people here love those :unsmigghh:

But seriously, good job on everything so far!

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 5, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love how the Stalkers poke their heads out from behind cover. "Is he looking at me? Oh god he's looking at me."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

They know what Isaac can do to them.

In reality they're actually terrified of Issac. They probably refer to him by some stomping-related-folk-monster-sounding name in private Necromorph conversation and tell campfire horror stories about giant boot indentations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh, yes- the freezer. I love how they build tension by making you walk through a room where nothing happens and two rooms where you see a broken casket (but nothing happens) before the party starts. Also the text log where they say the freezers are prone to malfunctioning and thawing out. Even playing it a second time I was kinda like "Did they make any enemy placement changes on Hard Mode? :tinfoil:"

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 14, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like how Stross calls you right after you get thrown back in through the window.

"Not now, Stross! Stop calling me!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Ripper Crank is also one of the most satisfying reload animations in the game.

*Crank That Ripper*

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, once you get the Force Gun the game goes from Dirty SciFi EventHorizon-Alien Horror (never was much of a horror game, as has been discussed) to Issac the Heavily Armed Stompy Badass. As if the Ripper wasn't enough. (I love this game.)

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, that computer has a sick case. Look at all those fans! Also it kinda reminds me a bit of the computer from Event Horizon:

EDIT:

Oh, you said that in the video. Oh, well!

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 9, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

The Necros aren't a bad idea, being hideous mutated monstrosities made out of nearly anyone, but they're not used that well for horror.

With just a little tweaking the horror would be a lot more visceral. Issac could be armed with tools that are clearly not designed for combat, forcing him to pick his battles. He could gradually improve on the tools by modding them until they behave as they do here (both making things more dangerous for the player and showing Issac's ingenuity) over the course of the game instead of the engineer being armed the most horribly unsafe tools this side of Black & Decker's legal division from the start. Obviously this would necessitate fewer Necromorphs, at least at the start, but I think they could compensate by tossing in something like the Hunter to stalk Issac and force him to run for most of the game to keep up the tension with the number of regular necros slowly increasing over time. Issac should also be more isolated so the player doesn't have chattering team-members breaking the immersion all the time.

As for the Necromorps themselves, they could have more varied tactics than "play dead followed by roar and stab/smash/spit/shoot/split". They could even have units that work together and hint that they have some twisted intelligence behind them. Visually, I'd rather they stick to more clearly defined human remains instead of merging them into nearly unrecognizable masses of meat and bone. Their shrieks and roars could be replaced with more human-sounding groaning/screaming and movements be more spastic than fluid to make them more unnerving.

It just take the designers treating the series as more of a horror game than a third person shooter with uglier monsters and cat scares.

You should definitely not play Dead Space 3.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yessss the mile-high super stomp may be my favorite part in the game. If only there happened to be a necromorph directly under that vent Issac comes back into the station through.... ha ha, you stay away from the vents, biological space monstrosities!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the Vintage Suit- I always just feel safer with that big ol' bulky thing on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SaigonTimeMD posted:

Well technically you ARE safer. A little bit, at least.

At this point in the game I suppose so! The store discount is still baffling to me though.

"Oh man, that suit looks so cool. You get a discount."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, Issac is an engineer. Fitting that he should have to fix everyone's goddamn stupid problems all the time.

"Issac, I think my computer has a virus or something on it. Could you take a look at it?"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This was the only segment of the game where I felt genuinely unsettled. They really need to learn to space out their monster ambushes a little better- the game could certainly be a legitimate horror game if they did that.

In addition to the already mentioned fantastic sound design, I think the Dead Space series makes really good use of lighting for both ambiance and increasing the game's challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, but glad to see you're feeling somewhat better(?).

And honestly Saigon, we don't need necromorph jiggle physics. *shudder*

My favorite goddamn thing in this game is when you walk through a pile of dismembered NecroParts and they all just start jiggling and flopping about like mad- it defuses whatever tension is occurring pretty quickly.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread